Batman

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    20993057_687135871482361_6050211935239778984_n.jpg?oh=90e4de3e2075eef9c2ee781298807366&oe=5A1ACF3E

There you have it. Common sense prevails.

Many media outlets seem to go into a frenzy everytime DC/Warner mention anything, think that anxiety in some cases projects onto the audience.

In some ways WB do get too much criticism at time for innocuous things, but they also haven't gotten great word of mouth out there to earn some lighter treatment. A hard balance.

But I don't know how people read Reeves' comments as anything else, because anything outside what he meant made no sense at all.

People interpret things slightly different if it's slow news day to create a story unfortunately

True, then those who read it say, "Well, [fill in random news site] says it's true, so it must be!"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    20993057_687135871482361_6050211935239778984_n.jpg?oh=90e4de3e2075eef9c2ee781298807366&oe=5A1ACF3E

Many media outlets seem to go into a frenzy everytime DC/Warner mention anything, think that anxiety in some cases projects onto the audience.

In some ways WB do get too much criticism at time for innocuous things, but they also haven't gotten great word of mouth out there to earn some lighter treatment. A hard balance.

But I don't know how people read Reeves' comments as anything else, because anything outside what he meant made no sense at all.

People interpret things slightly different if it's slow news day to create a story unfortunately

True, then those who read it say, "Well, [fill in random news site] says it's true, so it must be!"

I am starting to shut off from the speculation which is a shame as in a positive sense it can be good, films have so much pressure now as every morsel of information is scrutinised thanks to the Internet.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I am starting to shut off from the speculation which is a shame as in a positive sense it can be good, films have so much pressure now as every morsel of information is scrutinised thanks to the Internet.

A good move, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. You see all the good speculation about Bond 25 and Dan's apparently obvious exodus made for the usual suspects in the production thread while the sane minority warned them about attaching credibility to tabloid fables. I'm sure that somehow our prediction (or for me, observation) was just a lucky guess and not at all backed up by mounting and supportable facts.

The issue DC face is that they are whipping posts now. Their films aren't well liked and that hurts their credibility whereas Marvel have earned a lot of trust (though I don't find a lot of their films mind-blowing) and don't receive such bad coverage. WW brought a lot of good will, but that was also the first film not led by Snyder like JL is. He's the red flag in all this, and if the film doesn't come together we'll be left guessing who is to blame more, he or Joss.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

A good move, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. You see all the good speculation about Bond 25 and Dan's apparently obvious exodus made for the usual suspects in the production thread while the sane minority warned them about attaching credibility to tabloid fables. I'm sure that somehow our prediction (or for me, observation) was just a lucky guess and not at all backed up by mounting and supportable facts.

The issue DC face is that they are whipping posts now. Their films aren't well liked and that hurts their credibility whereas Marvel have earned a lot of trust (though I don't find a lot of their films mind-blowing) and don't receive such bad coverage. WW brought a lot of good will, but that was also the first film not led by Snyder like JL is. He's the red flag in all this, and if the film doesn't come together we'll be left guessing who is to blame more, he or Joss.

Marvel have a formula and a safe one, though you are right Marvel have earned how they are viewed and appeal to mass audiences, though bar a few MCU films they are not challenging. BvS has its critics and it's not perfect I know, though the film presented ideas which kept me thinking throughout the movie.

I just go on the Bond25 thread for news 99 per cent of the time lol

Marvel have a formula and a safe one, though you are right Marvel have earned how they are viewed and appeal to mass audiences, though bar a few MCU films they are not challenging. BvS has its critics and it's not perfect I know, though the film presented ideas which kept me thinking throughout the movie.

WB/DC are taking a bigger risk by just continuing to make these films. ;)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,474

I wish they never committed to a universe and just made great films from great stories, a cinematic universe is problematic and negates making great self contained movies.

I wish they never committed to a universe and just made great films from great stories, a cinematic universe is problematic and negates making great self contained movies.

I wouldn't say that, they just don't know how to do it right.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,586
    Okay, I'm not against BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN; in fact, over the past two or so weeks I have come to like the film. The voice work is overall good, though I miss Arleen Sorkin and Tara Strong in the role of Harley. THE BIG BANG THEORY's Melissa Rauch sounds far too much as Bernadette than as Harley, and that's a bit of a problem. Then there's Bruce Timm's now trademark "naughtiness", which keeps feeling like some kind of 'fan service' but then for the wrong kind of fans.

The comedy works for me--apart from the fart jokes; I'm not a fan of fart jokes--and so does the music. This is another lighter toned film, like RETURN OF THE CAPED CRUSADERS, to contrast the more serious ones with, though on average I'm more interested in those. "Funny Batman" can be enjoyable, in sufficiently small doses. Still, BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN makes me laugh, so what am I complaining about. Not the kind of stuff I want repeated too often, but it's found a supporter in me.
    I'd like to see DC/Warner do more movies in the style of the animated series, but earnestly with more adult stories than even the show could get away with. I don't really care to see things that tonally break away from that.
    I quite enjoyed BATMAN AND HARLEY QUINN for what it was, I found it quite funny beauty of Batman is that you can have many variations on a theme.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,474

I want

I want

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, great to see Montoya getting love.

The big 25th celebration of BTAS will hopefully involve the biggie, a full scale remaster in blu-ray of all the original four seasons. If they make it happen, tears will flow.

I want

The big 25th celebration of BTAS will hopefully involve the biggie, a full scale remaster in blu-ray of all the original four seasons. If they make it happen, tears will flow.

I keep checking Amazon for Mask of the Phantasm Bluray, I really hope they remaster the full series it will look perfect next to my Adam West Batman Bluray boxset. I have a Batshelf at home for all the movies I have :))

I want

I keep checking Amazon for Mask of the Phantasm Bluray, I really hope they remaster the full series it will look perfect next to my Adam West Batman Bluray boxset. I have a Batshelf at home for all the movies I have :))

With the news that Phantasm was being remastered, I think WB are using it as a test to see how well they can polish the old films and, if they like the results, they'll do the same for the series. I'll be shocked if it's 2020 and we still don't have the whole show on blu-ray.

I have been wanting to revisit the series for a long while now, and have been waiting for such a release to do so with.

I want

With the news that Phantasm was being remastered, I think WB are using it as a test to see how well they can polish the old films and, if they like the results, they'll do the same for the series. I'll be shocked if it's 2020 and we still don't have the whole show on blu-ray.

I have been wanting to revisit the series for a long while now, and have been waiting for such a release to do so with.

I have all the episodes of BTAS on Amazon Prime I am midway through season 4 though not watched the show for at least a year, to see them all from the start remastered is worth holding out for. I like to avoid films and shows I generally rewatch for at least a few years each time so they feel fresh. Hopefully they will remaster the lot it should sell well across all platforms
    Remastering BTAS would be far more complicated and costly than Phantasm, which was animated on film and released on film. BTAS was animated on film but its editing and post-production were done in SD video. So WB can't just scan film masters--it might have to rebuild the entire show instead. That's more than 40 hours of material, so the process could be extremely lengthy and costly.
    Phantasm itself is a barebones WB Archive release whose restoration was so costly it left no money for extras. On the plus side, it has been selling well, so while a BTAS Blu-Ray set is probably far off, perhaps Sub-Zero will be released next.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Remastering BTAS would be far more complicated and costly than Phantasm, which was animated on film and released on film. BTAS was animated on film but its editing and post-production were done in SD video. So WB can't just scan film masters--it might have to rebuild the entire show instead. That's more than 40 hours of material, so the process could be extremely lengthy and costly.
    Phantasm itself is a barebones WB Archive release whose restoration was so costly it left no money for extras. On the plus side, it has been selling well, so while a BTAS Blu-Ray set is probably far off, perhaps Sub-Zero will be released next.

That makes sense on my part it's more hope than expectation regarding BTAS, the remastered MOTP yet to be released in the UK I am assuming it is in the States.
    http://trek.fm/the-602-club/s33

Mask of the Phantasm retrospective review podcast
    Coming from someone who is a big fan of Burton and Nolan's Batman, BTAS is still the greatest overall adaptation for the screen. BTAS is easily one of my all time favorite shows; I own the first 3 volumes (the original run) and watch many episodes every year.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Coming from someone who is a big fan of Burton and Nolan's Batman, BTAS is still the greatest overall adaptation for the screen. BTAS is easily one of my all time favorite shows; I own the first 3 volumes (the original run) and watch many episodes every year.

The character has never been better realized.
    Likewise @FoxRox Mask of the Phantasm is arguably my favourite Batman movie, I need to start a Batmanathon though I mentioned earlier in this thread I think I am holding out for BTAS to be remastered.
    Likewise @FoxRox Mask of the Phantasm is arguably my favourite Batman movie, I need to start a Batmanathon though I mentioned earlier in this thread I think I am holding out for BTAS to be remastered.

Nice. Mask of the Phantasm is personally my second favorite Batman film right behind The Dark Knight. Definitely an excellent feature.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

Absolutely. Batman Begins might overall be my favorite adaptation, but BTAS was legendary in its artwork, its voicework, its characterizations, its stories. I'm due to revisit. Might do a minimarathon of some of my favorite episodes once I get some breathing room in life. October would be a good month for some BTAS, given all the crossover with horror in Batman's universe.

Absolutely. Batman Begins might overall be my favorite adaptation, but BTAS was legendary in its artwork, its voicework, its characterizations, its stories. I'm due to revisit. Might do a minimarathon of some of my favorite episodes once I get some breathing room in life. October would be a good month for some BTAS, given all the crossover with horror in Batman's universe.

In the event that the series did come out on blu-ray in the near or not too distant future, I'd love to see a thread set up like we have for the Bond films and Fleming novels to run through the episodes and discuss them. If there's any show that has enough meat to it to warrant such a thread and such a marathon, it's Batman: The Animated Series. We could happily throw in the animated films too.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

In the event that the series did come out on blu-ray in the near or not too distant future, I'd love to see a thread set up like we have for the Bond films and Fleming novels to run through the episodes and discuss them. If there's any show that has enough meat to it to warrant such a thread and such a marathon, it's Batman: The Animated Series. We could happily throw in the animated films too.

Timm/Dini's DCAU probably deserves its own thread apart from Batman even if Blu-rays never come out. I never got around to their Justice League, but much of their Superman work stood up there with BTAS. Batman Beyond too.

Timm/Dini's DCAU probably deserves its own thread apart from Batman even if Blu-rays never come out. I never got around to their Justice League, but much of their Superman work stood up there with BTAS. Batman Beyond too.

You'd love Justice League, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but the second group of JL seasons wrapped up and connected the old Batman to the Batman of JL and capped off Batman Beyond too in the most beautiful way, revealing stuff we never knew until that point about so many things.

All of it is on Netflix, if you have a subscription. I've been waiting for BTAS to get on there too, but Amazon seems to have that on lockdown somehow despite the fact that Netflix has almost every other Warner Bros animation on there.
    Justice League Unlimited was awesome it totally goes off on one
  • I've heard good things about Justice League and JLU. I'm happy I still have those to experience for the first time some day.
    Amazon Instant video in the UK has all the animated series of BTAS, Justice League and Superman and various others that come and go including many of the DC animated movies. Amazon Instant video in the US maybe the same
    Amazon Instant video in the UK has all the animated series of BTAS, Justice League and Superman and various others that come and go including many of the DC animated movies. Amazon Instant video in the US maybe the same

But-but...I want them on blu-ray, brought to life with the highest visual and auditory performance. With restored coloring and rich backgrounds, like they were made yesterday. Like a dream, made reality...

oW6wDpf.gif

I think they are available on the US Amazon Video, but I'm not one of those guys that buys from multiple streaming sites or anything of that nature. You either go Microsoft or Sony, Netflix or Amazon, coffee or tea. In life there are some roads that are forked and you must travel on one alone. On this principle, I do not bend.

The ball is in your court, Warner Bros. Justice League will cost you a lot of money whether it does well or not, so take the opportunity to steal millions from the fans' wallets and give us this gift! You need, we need it, get 'er done!