Batman

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @BondJasonBond006 you could but that in the "location" part of your profile. :-bd
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Batman' is not part of the DC Extended Universe:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-batman-not-part-of-the-dc-extended-universe/

To be honest, I'm completely okay with that. I do hope that Affleck will continue the role because out of all the men that have taken on the role, he's next to perfect for it. I have a feeling he won't be though. If that's the case then they need to go with a younger Batman (mid 20's to early 30's) but have him already established as Batman. We don't need another origins story.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,465
    I am positive. We don t need Leto back as Joker anyway.

Agree Leto was Edited: not very good
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Speaking of Batman...

BRG1sl4.jpg

Quality I had to double take
    I was very surprised to read that Scorcese will be creating a Joker prequel movie! This really will be a Cinema visit!
  • RC7RC7
    No one needs a Joker origin. No one.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Dalton does rule though to be fair @Dimi, we both know that ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Batman' is not part of the DC Extended Universe:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-batman-not-part-of-the-dc-extended-universe/

This is good news imo, I'm way more excited now than I was. Loved the Planet Of The Apes films and I was always looking forward to seeing what he does with Batman but I'm even more excited knowing that it isn't going to be tied into Justice League and all of those films at all because I don't really care about them. Wonder what this means for the rumours about Affleck not being in it.

With this and the Joker movie, doesn't it seem like they're abandoning the Marvel style universe to anyone else and just going back to different stand alone films? Could be that they're finishing up what they've already announced then going back to the drawing board.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Batman film has to be connected to everything else, otherwise it makes no sense. I predict that the film and what movies could come after will be loosely connected and show Batman on his own outside of big Justice League villains without too much focus on connecting those movies to what is already going on in the films. Which is good, as Batman is too valuable to use as a connector to everything else. But the films certainly aren't going to take place in an alternate reality or anything, as that makes no sense whatsoever.

It's just a shame that we now have to contend with Batman sharing with everyone else. He's a character that works best in his own world, so he's already limited by having to be part of a team in this universe and WB may feel the temptation to have cameos and all that other stuff in his films that will weigh them down.

As for Scorsese on the Joker film, I think people look at a good filmmaker and immediately think that he's going to give us something great, without realizing that he may lack the knowledge of how to use Joker effectively. There's been plenty of films will great directors attached that turned out horrible because, despite their talent, they didn't really "get" the material. It's an interesting choice and I'm surprised he's wasting his time with such a project, but I won't be jumping to hype it up at all.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,896
    Just a reminder that Scorsese is neither writing nor directing the film. He's listed as the producer, and I'm willing to bet he's really the Executive Producer, which means he might not have much real involvement with the film. Christopher Nolan was the producer of Man of Steel and Executive Producer of Batman V Superman, and no one would say those films felt anything like his work.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    When you look at the excellent Animated DCU, they have films that link and many that are individual films set in different eras and different universes. IMO as long as they are developing great stories onto film I will be happy, if the source material is done right the characters/actors can slip into any of the films... I think DC/Warner are being bold and a singular universe is too restrictive IMO.
    I'm okay with this. Batman movie not connected to this mess that is called dceu. Universe that's getting messier as the time goes by.

Plz, sell 2 disney.
    (Just kidding)
    Now this is taking the piss :

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie to star in Joker and Harley Quinn movie.

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are set to reprise their roles as The Joker and Harley Quinn in a "criminal love story" spin-off.

The two Hollywood stars first appeared as the iconic villains in the 2016 blockbuster 'Suicide Squad', and it has now been reported they are set to get their own movie which will detail the twisted relationship between two of Batman's most deadly foes.

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who wrote and helmed 2011's 'Crazy, Stupid, Love' - and also worked as directors and executive producers on NBC's hit drama 'This Is Us' - are reportedly in "final negotiations" to helm the as yet untitled movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter magazine, the movie is being described as a "criminal love story," with one source adding: "[It is] an insane and twisted love story. 'When Harry Met Sally' on benzedrine."

News of the project comes as Warner Bros. are planning the sequel to 'Suicide Squad', which will also see Jared, 45, and Margot, 27, reprise their roles.

The Hollywood Reporter states that the studio plans to release 'Suicide Squad 2' - which was recently put on the fast track and is now searching for a director - first, and then the Joker/Harley spin off, but sources say both projects are moving quickly as the studio is conscious of actors holding their agreements.

Meanwhile, it was previously reported that Martin Scorsese was set to helm a separate story centred around The Joker, which would not feature Jared in the role.

Warner Bros. and DC were believed to be in the early stages of putting the 'Batman' spin-off together, and it will be the first movie under a new banner which is yet to have been given a name.

While plot details are yet to be revealed, it is thought the movie could focus around The Joker's origin story and be different to any other iteration.

How many spin-offs and Joker films can be made ??!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm glad the the Joker is getting his own film, because he hasn't appeared in enough films/games.

Don't worry, i'm being sarcastic.
  • Three Joker films simultaneously? I suppose it's only reasonable considering Batman has one of the weakest rogues galleries of any superhero.

Wait a sec...
    Yes, enough with the joker.

It's this guy's time to shine.

Eraser-DC-Comics-Batman.jpg

The eraser has been neglected for too long!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This cutefying of the Joker and Harley really needs to stop. He beats and verbally abuses her, and she comes back with black eyes because she's damaged and wants to save and change him, believing she can. This isn't a Rick and Ilsa story of pure love and sacrifice, it's twisted and dark. WB need to take some cues from Mad Love and deliver their backstory right this time.

I am so jealous of people who grew up with Marvel comics (I did too, but my childhood was more DC than Marvel) and who get to see the actual characters they love on the screen. We get a mopey or dead Superman, a serial killer Batman and they can't even get Joker right. Well, at least we got Wonder Woman?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Three Joker films simultaneously? I suppose it's only reasonable considering Batman has one of the weakest rogues galleries of any superhero.

Wait a sec...

And we couldn't have two different 'Alien' films around the same time because it would be "too confusing" to audiences. Gotta love Hollywood thinking.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    This cutefying of the Joker and Harley really needs to stop. He beats and verbally abuses her, and she comes back with black eyes because she's damaged and wants to save and change him, believing she can. This isn't a Rick and Ilsa story of pure love and sacrifice, it's twisted and dark. WB need to take some cues from Mad Love and deliver their backstory right this time.

I am so jealous of people who grew up with Marvel comics (I did too, but my childhood was more DC than Marvel) and who get to see the actual characters they love on the screen. We get a mopey or dead Superman, a serial killer Batman and they can't even get Joker right. Well, at least we got Wonder Woman?

It does make a difference I must say,that's why Batman '89 will always have a soft spot with me,as will Superman I & II with Christopher Reeve.

I used to collect the 'cigarette cards' for Superman and swap them at school.(Not real cigarettes,the sweets).

barryt007 wrote: »

It does make a difference I must say,that's why Batman '89 will always have a soft spot with me,as will Superman I & II with Christopher Reeve.

I used to collect the 'cigarette cards' for Superman and swap them at school.(Not real cigarettes,the sweets).

I'd settle for more Burton films right about now. Not my go-to Batman, but those movies are so atmospheric and moody. They have a personality, basically, and aren't made up of choppy visual effects like the current DC films.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I'd settle for more Burton films right about now. Not my go-to Batman, but those movies are so atmospheric and moody. They have a personality, basically, and aren't made up of choppy visual effects like the current DC films.

Exactly,it has character and no wooden acting.
    Moody and atmospheric is spot on...and it has Keaton and Nicholson at the top of their game.

I love it,one of my favourites,not forgetting Prince's input in the music department,and a brilliant score and theme.

@BondJasonBond006, The Batman is far too underrated. Not perfect, but far better than any of the recent series I've seen. Haven't checked out Young Justice yet, but I've heard good things even though I know Batman isn't the major focus.

My hope is that with the release of Mask of the Phantasm on blu-ray and this year marking the 25th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series, WB are working on HD releases of the original series for the next year or two. 2019 is also being billed as the year of Batman with tons of big celebrations going on and films being made, so we can only hope that finally the best of the Batman shows gets the blu-ray treatment.

There's apparently a rumor of an animated version of The Long Halloween also in the pipeline for 2019, which would be nuts, especially if they use their R-rating unlike The Killing Joke and get Kevin Conroy to be Batman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Wow, that looks really bad.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That goes without saying.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,465
    20993057_687135871482361_6050211935239778984_n.jpg?oh=90e4de3e2075eef9c2ee781298807366&oe=5A1ACF3E

Gotham by Gaslight featurette
    20993057_687135871482361_6050211935239778984_n.jpg?oh=90e4de3e2075eef9c2ee781298807366&oe=5A1ACF3E

There you have it. Common sense prevails.

Many media outlets seem to go into a frenzy everytime DC/Warner mention anything, think that anxiety in some cases projects onto the audience.

Many media outlets seem to go into a frenzy everytime DC/Warner mention anything, think that anxiety in some cases projects onto the audience.

In some ways WB do get too much criticism at time for innocuous things, but they also haven't gotten great word of mouth out there to earn some lighter treatment. A hard balance.

But I don't know how people read Reeves' comments as anything else, because anything outside what he meant made no sense at all.

In some ways WB do get too much criticism at time for innocuous things, but they also haven't gotten great word of mouth out there to earn some lighter treatment. A hard balance.

But I don't know how people read Reeves' comments as anything else, because anything outside what he meant made no sense at all.

People interpret things slightly different if it's slow news day to create a story unfortunately