I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I watched LTK last night. I was surprised to see that Dalton did a lot of his own stunts (he was in and out of the water quite a bit in the film, climbed out of the top of an elevator and also rappelled down what seemed to be the face of a real building). Also, I noticed he had a few dramatic scars on his body and what seemed like a bullet wound on his shoulder when he was shirtless. I'm surprised I never noticed these things before.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    bondjames wrote: »
    Also, I noticed he had a few dramatic scars on his body and what seemed like a bullet wound on his shoulder when he was shirtless. I'm surprised I never noticed these things before.

I've never noticed that either. And now I have a damn good excuse to take a really good look, possibly involving the pause button.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ah, poor you. Here's some preperation for you ; -) :

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    In The Goonies (1985)...

Robert Davi plays a villain, pitted against a group of kids. One of the kids, Data (played by Jonathan Ke Quan, from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), likens himself to be James Bond. Data likes spy gadgets and running around playing the Bond theme. \

Four years later...Davi would be pitted against Bond.
    Thank you, @CommanderRoss! Material for an entire doctorate in there!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Jesus... apart from Laz and Craig, those "killers" ranged from

Okay Mediocre: brozzer
    Real Mediocre: Connery
    Man Tits: Moore
    Pussy prebuscent Boy Chest: Dalton
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Stacey didn't grab the correct soap
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bond is at his most dangerous, when wet .... oh! and don't feed
    him after midnight !
    Whenever Pierce takes his shirt off, I am compelled to shout Ivana Humpalot's "Oh! You are hairy! Like animal!" line from Austin Powers 2 at the screen.
    I just noticed,watching GF,that at the garage scene with Tilly Masterson,Connery has a plaster on his wedding ring finger...interesting.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Probably had trouble getting it off. ;-) the ring, off his finger!
    Probably had trouble getting it off. ;-) the ring, off his finger!

I would imagine that's it Commander,its gone in later scenes.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,812
    BT3366 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    In For Your Eyes Only, I never really paid attention to the fact that Bond and Q actually spend a considerable amount of time working in the identigraph room. I find it interesting that Q leaves aside his own work at the lab to help Bond identify the suspect. I wonder if he is as accommodating with other agents, or is it just with double-ohs, or perhaps just with Bond, since his missions usually seem to be of great importance. I suppose this question also applies to The Living Daylights and Bond's search of KGB agents.

In Octopussy, the license plate of Kamal Khan's Rolls Royce reads KAM-1.

I would guess it's a priority for Q to provide his services where there is the most priority such as assisting a OO in identifying a killer such as Locque. The guy has enough assistants after all. I mean isn't that his job?

In terms of real-life logic, I'm still skeptical about Q himself handling the identigraph. I'd figure an assistant familiar with the machine should do it, since Q probably has plenty of other things to oversee. I can't imagine him stopping his work coordinating the technicians and scientists when any agent comes asking for information. I also can't imagine the information contained in the machine being "for Q's eyes only", since his assistants should have access to the machine to work on it in the first place.

In fact, now that I think about it, MI6 should in fact have a department of records, separate from Q's lab, to retrieve such information. That's where the identigraph should be. Having said that, Q does state the identigraph is in an experimental phase, which could explain why it is housed in Q's lab at the time of FYEO.

But I'll admit all of this is speculation, and I'm being fastidious about this point.

In narrative/emotional terms though, considering he is a familiar character, it makes sense to have Q in the identigraph scene. It's the same as with Q traveling to Greece to brief Bond on St. Cyril, or M and the Minister of Defence traveling to Venice to see Drax's laboratotry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Q is in all these scenes, despite the logic of him traveling everywhere with Bond and doing what those below his rank would do, because Q is Q. It doesn't make sense, it wouldn't happen, but neither would about 98% of what we see in these films. If it meant us getting more Desmond, I have no desire to complain about the propagation of his character. If I think a Bond film is average or disappointing, he's always one thing that would rank in its favor and that says a lot to me.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Q is in all these scenes, despite the logic of him traveling everywhere with Bond and doing what those below his rank would do, because Q is Q. It doesn't make sense, it wouldn't happen, but neither would about 98% of what we see in these films. If it meant us getting more Desmond, I have no desire to complain about the propagation of his character. If I think a Bond film is average or disappointing, he's always one thing that would rank in its favor and that says a lot to me.

We're in complete agreement here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Found this on Reddit, have never caught it myself:

At 0:21 in this video, the ricochet of Sanchez's bullets sounds akin to the James Bond theme:

What amazes me about that clip above is that even in 1989 they resorted to back projection for Sanchez and Co. in the car. I would have thought it wouldn't have been that difficult to have them filmed while in the car on set, given they were actually there. All they needed was the truck in the background. It didn't spoil the scene for me, but it could have been so much better imho.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Only from reading "some kind of hero" did I notice in TMWTGG that
    When Bond's sea plane lands on the beach. The left wing's flotation
    Arm is missing. ( Damaged during filming, so removed ) I can't believe
    I never noticed over hundreds of viewings !
    I rewatched the elevator fight in DAF recently and I found it far more comedic than I remembered.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I rewatched the elevator fight in DAF recently and I found it far more comedic than I remembered.

Yes, it starts with the gag of Bond acting like a local, and I've heard some find the extinguisher kill campy (I don't). Some of the weak choreography, like the light and weak kick Sean gets on Robinson at the end, who acts like he got blown back by a fire hose, could create some moments of unnecessary comedy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    What amazes me about that clip above is that even in 1989 they resorted to back projection for Sanchez and Co. in the car. I would have thought it wouldn't have been that difficult to have them filmed while in the car on set, given they were actually there. All they needed was the truck in the background. It didn't spoil the scene for me, but it could have been so much better imho.

The backlighting is atrocious in both of Dalton's films. It bothers me a lot in TLD. But in LTK, it adds to the film's camp. If there is a Bond film that deserves a "cult following," it's LTK, which was considered "too violent," yet at the same time has so much unintended humor.
    TripAces wrote: »

The backlighting is atrocious in both of Dalton's films. It bothers me a lot in TLD. But in LTK, it adds to the film's camp. If there is a Bond film that deserves a "cult following," it's LTK, which was considered "too violent," yet at the same time has so much unintended humor.

It is amazing how badly it struggles with tone. A real identity crisis, despite being one I can enjoy.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Found this on Reddit, have never caught it myself:

At 0:21 in this video, the ricochet of Sanchez's bullets sounds akin to the James Bond theme:

Always wondered why they wanted to do this with bullets richocheting. It does seem out of place for the otherwise stunning setpiece!
    The back projection doesn't bother me. Its par for the course in Bond movies (and done much worse ie Bond on the snow bike in AVTAK for example!)
    Every era of Bond has had a mixed relationship with effects. People think the CGI of today is too much, but back in the day the projection effects were just as immersion breaking and perhaps even less well released in effectiveness and quality. I appreciate their charm, but I also would be tempted to see cuts of each film, especially OHMSS that got out of control with them, with all the projection shots removed.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,165
    I know there's a fanedit of OHMSS out there that, in addition to some other minor cuts and changes, trims back much of the bad rear projection.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Blofeld.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Who the Hell would want that!?!

I certainly wouldn't be opposed. George and Diana looking cornily into a camera at close-up adds nothing to a great movie, and in fact bogs it down many times, especially during the action. The fine choreography of the action is not helped by the contrast of such bad effects that didn't need to be there in the first place.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,165
    OHMSS is a masterpiece, but there are still things about it that I would change. For instance, I always disliked Monty Norman's Bond theme blaring at the end. I would replace it with an instrumental version of "We Have All the Time in the World" in a heartbeat.
    There were some weird edits with OHMSS. Sometimes it looked like you could see (or feel) the splice. Also, some of the dubbing was off. Apart from that, it's great.
    "He's branched off!"