I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Hugh Grant is fine for what he does, but I don't see him anywhere near being Templer. He doesn't have any of the tough side and action hero mode nor the investigative side of the character. He's better at being a smarmy jerk than somebody with Templer's personality.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Hugh Grant is fine for what he does, but I don't see him anywhere near being Templer. He doesn't have any of the tough side and action hero mode nor the investigative side of the character. He's better at being a smarmy jerk than somebody with Templer's personality.
    Yes, I agree. 'Huge' (according to Divine Brown) Grant is naturally smooth, no doubt, but he lacks a certain toughness as you said.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I once picked up a prostitute on the same corner in Hollywood (Hollywood and Highland) that Hugh Grant would get arrested at for doing the same a week later.

He was following in your footsteps. He knew Birdleson only picked up the highest quality hookers.

At least it wasn't the same corner that Eddie Murphy got busted at.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No, that was Santa Monica Blvd. parallel and about a quarter mile away. Well-known transvestite spot, so Eddie was full of shit that he didn't know. He'd lived there for years by then.

Hmm, so you're a bit of an enthusiast?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No, that was Santa Monica Blvd. parallel and about a quarter mile away. Well-known transvestite spot, so Eddie was full of shit that he didn't know. He'd lived there for years by then.

Watch yourself out there or you might end up getting serviced by good old Lee Trannyhori.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Who says he hasn't?
    Probably got a right CGI shagging as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Used a codename so his missus didn't find out.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Used a codename so his missus didn't find out.

Yes, it was "James Bond." If EON weren't going to allow him to make the codename theory canon with a Connery cameo in DAD, Lee was going to use the name for his own antics.

Hmm, so you're a bit of an enthusiast?

Not me, but most people even semi-engaged in the crazier aspects of LA at the time knew where things were.

That water up near Hollywood must be something.
    I actually have met Lee Tamahori at a couple of festival showings of his masterpiece ONCE WERE WARRIORS (1994). Long before he was attached to Bond.

And you don't mean masterpiece in a cheeky way?
    @Birdleson, can't say that I have. The man terrified me from going near any of his work with a thousand foot pole.
    Your loss.

Maybe one day, after the scars have healed. I'll just have to never watch Die Another Day again after I do a review of it to start the healing process and avoid any nasty flashbacks later on.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Watch yourself out there or you might end up getting serviced by good old Lee Trannyhori.
    I'm sure he would do it for free.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I believe there was a competition in Italy,

Hahaha
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I have grown to like (most of) DAD, but part of the reason I hated it for so long was my high expectations for Tamahori. But, in reality, all of his US work was subpar.

Really? I enjoyed The Edge.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,978

The reason why I thought Tamahori would be a good director. A film you'll never forget. Imagine my confusion coming out of the cinema after DAD.

BTW the follow-up film, 'What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted'is just as good.

Can't seem to find the trailer though.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TripAces wrote: »
    I have grown to like (most of) DAD, but part of the reason I hated it for so long was my high expectations for Tamahori. But, in reality, all of his US work was subpar.

I didn't even know Tamahori did The Edge. Loved that film. I also enjoyed Along Came A Spider (it has some dodgy CGI at the start too, but is a fun thriller with a superb Goldsmith score and gravelly voiced Michael Wincott).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't know if this is the best thread for it, as it's only something I learned about a specific actor outside of the Bond film he appeared, but I found out today that Christopher Lee, aged 17, was one of the witnesses present for the final public execution by guillotine in France, in 1939.
    TripAces wrote: »

I love that film.
    I know someone who is obsessed with The Edge. I think it's mediocre but whatever.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Ok folks, this thread has derailed and gone way off topic, of its original intent.
    Let's get it back to those unnoticed moments within the Bond films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAD, the only film whose acronym is the same backwards, was released in 2002, the only Bond year that is the same backwards.
    The film also features the characters M and Q, whose names are the same backwards. Coincidence? I think not.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    DAD backward, okay, I can see that. But M and Q are palindromes.
    DAD, the only film whose acronym is the same backwards, was released in 2002, the only Bond year that is the same backwards.

The illuminati strikes again!!!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There's actually an area in Cuba called 'Los Organos', the Sierra de los Organos. Problem is, it's nowhere near the sea. Which in itself is rather impressive, considering the amount of sea there's in close proximity to Cuba.
    I'm ashamed to admit it but it took me quite a while to notice that Bambi and Thumper were named after, well... the Disney characters. And I hate DAF all the more for it.
    I never noticed thart before but Bert Saxby real name in DAF is "Albert R. Saxby" (we wonder the reference to who...), seing in a plaque a his desk at 2h00.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Same with " Old Albert" in LALD.
    Have noticed it before but if others haven't: at the end of the AVTAK warehouse fight, the 'unconscious' goon lies down on the conveyor belt himself. Roger should have reused his quip 'what a helpful chap'.