I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I meant the editor's mistake of leaving in the shot in the first place - not the extra's. What's frustrating is they spent time CGI-ing on masks for the extras and yet failed to see something as simple as that awkward shot. Editor's mistake.

What mistake, though? As Thunderfinger said, that stuff happens all the time.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Talk about nitpicking!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I meant the editor's mistake of leaving in the shot in the first place - not the extra's. What's frustrating is they spent time CGI-ing on masks for the extras and yet failed to see something as simple as that awkward shot. Editor's mistake.

Yet another straw to add to the pile labelled 'SP is a travesty'. That camel's back must be ready to break soon surely?

Although in this instance I think 'clutching at straws' might be a more apposite metaphor.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Yet another straw to add to the pile labelled 'SP is a travesty'. That camel's back must be ready to break soon surely?

Although in this instance I think 'clutching at straws' might be a more apposite metaphor.

I never said SP was a travesty. It's "meh". If you want to categorize me, then I encourage you to use that as my stance. SP is neither good nor bad. Middle of the pack. That's it.

And if anybody noticed, I always have and I always will discuss bad editing. I've expressed my distaste for QoS's and OHMSS's on multiple occaisons. Not unique to what I'm doing to SP now. Nothing sinister. ;)

I never said SP was a travesty. It's "meh". If you want to categorize me, then I encourage you to use that as my stance. SP is neither good nor bad. Middle of the pack. That's it.

And if anybody noticed, I always have and I always will discuss bad editing. I've expressed my distaste for QoS's and OHMSS's on multiple occaisons. Not unique to what I'm doing to SP now. Nothing sinister. ;)

Wasn't meant as a dig at you personally just amusing to think of yet another stick out there to beat SP with when some of the editing in the likes of TB and even OHMSS is extremely poor.

Strange the things you can get away with that would get ripped to shreds if you tried them nowadays simply by dolloping a load of nostalgia sauce all over it and calling it 'classic'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No need to intellectualize or overly delve into why SP was a disappointment. I could have absorbed the "brother" angle, or any specifics in the plot, if it wasn't so damned plodding and dull.

Yes, there is much to pick apart in any Bond film; I don't watch them because they are high art, I can forgive a lot. TB and OHMSS may be full of holes, poor editing, etc, but they more than make up for that with great Bondian pathos and excitement.
    Agreed. Plus this is a moving target anyway. What one could get away with 50 years ago is quite different from what is acceptable today. The benchmark is moving (forward hopefully). Having said that, I didn't think the editing in the PTS was a problem. That was still the best scene in the film for me, along with White.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited September 2017 Posts: 3,343
    Another fly spotted for the first time in my viewings. TLD just as Necros is driving up to Blayden safehouse, as he stops the milk trolly at the gate there is a fly right to the right of him.

And another minority continuity item. When Necros throws the pot of water at the safe house guard, it hits cabinet and falls to counter, resting there. Two seconds later it's gone after a couple of quick cuts.
    TB and OHMSS may be full of holes, poor editing, etc, but they more than make up for that with great Bondian pathos and excitement.

TB full of pathos??????

I take it you must be referring to Domino finding out her brother is dead which should be the key scene of the film but is sunk by the iceberg that is Claudine's leaden acting?

It doesn't even have much excitement come to think of it.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,965
    TB and OHMSS may be full of holes, poor editing, etc, but they more than make up for that with great Bondian pathos and excitement.

TB full of pathos??????

I take it you must be referring to Domino finding out her brother is dead which should be the key scene of the film but is sunk by the iceberg that is Claudine's leaden acting?

It doesn't even have much excitement come to think of it.

This is more something for the controversial opinions thread ;-)

Above all, Domino plays it fantastically, is hot as hell and that scene is played with incredeable cool .....

(these are by all means facts ;-) )
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I love that scene in TB personally. Bond puts on the shades too (cool move, to hide any emotion) as he coldly reveals Derval's death and asks for help. I don't feel the pathos though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Pathos ? I don't remember any of the musketeers in TB ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pathos ? I don't remember any of the musketeers in TB ;-)

They are all there. Pathos, Fartos, Jeremy and D Orangutagn
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 676
    An astute observation my mom made when we watched Spectre together: in Bond's apartment. Would Bond ever actually sit with his back to a window?

Eh, no. An editor doesn't select shots based on something as trivial as extras. You choose shots based on what the viewer is actually meant to be looking at, the subject of the shot (i.e. Craig and Sigman). This is how minor continuity errors get introduced into movies - and why they don't matter. Also... how is this supposed error easy to cut, considering the shot is an uninterrupted take for several minutes? Lol.
    Milovy wrote: »
    An astute observation my mom made when we watched Spectre together: in Bond's apartment. Would Bond ever actually sit with his back to a window?

In case of what? One must assume he lives in a somewhat safe place.

In case of what? One must assume he lives in a somewhat safe place.

I dunno, didn't think about it too hard. Just doesn't seem like the best way to stay aware of your surroundings.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I liked the fact that there were two, used wine glasses beside the bottle of wine...
    Given In SF Bond was shot and fell hundreds of feet from a moving train, and survived. I doubt he's too worried about sitting with his back to a window. He probably learned it from M , who also sits with his back to the door and window in a restaurant. ;-)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think @Milovy's mother's instincts are correct. Unless Bond is trying to draw fire, he shouldn't sit with his back to the window.
    And @Thunderpussy has a good point about M's suicide attempt in the restaurant.
    Possibly, if he regularly used that armchair on the weekend to do some reading and wanted the natural light to fall on the pages.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Eh, no. An editor doesn't select shots based on something as trivial as extras. You choose shots based on what the viewer is actually meant to be looking at, the subject of the shot (i.e. Craig and Sigman). This is how minor continuity errors get introduced into movies - and why they don't matter. Also... how is this supposed error easy to cut, considering the shot is an uninterrupted take for several minutes? Lol.

@Milovy That's not the shot(s) I was referring to. I was talking about a moment during the foot chase after the explosion. The shot is easy to edit out because it isn't long and it isn't (in any definition of the word) special. So they really didn't have to use the shot in the final movie.

Btw, I've started a thread for editing... if you want to continue then we could use that. :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    Possibly, if he regularly used that armchair on the weekend to do some reading and wanted the natural light to fall on the pages.

I think @Milovy's mother is right, as far as I know, and I did study intelligence history for a bit, this is unlikely. Any trained agent or employee wil make sure he/she is not taking any unnessecery risks. And in Bond case that might also be jeleous husbands
    I'm glad my mom is getting talked about so much in this thread. Hey guys... She's single. ;)
    @Milovy That's not the shot(s) I was referring to. I was talking about a moment during the foot chase after the explosion. The shot is easy to edit out because it isn't long and it isn't (in any definition of the word) special. So they really didn't have to use the shot in the final movie.

Btw, I've started a thread for editing... if you want to continue then we could use that. :)
    Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding then.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Use of the Duralex Picardie glass.
    d.511810B33-1287418952000.jpg
    Happenstance or Craig Bond staple, like straightening his cuff or tossing an object. Not sure which.

QUANTUM OF SOLACE.
    designerbox.com/iconic-news/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/james-bond-duralex.jpg

SKYFALL.
    del.h-cdn.co/assets/16/14/980x490/gallery-1460149257-james-bond-alcohol.jpg
    [Maybe also at M's apartment, hard to confirm.]

SPECTRE possibility.
    https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R3INWb4pcxw/V0TNDCPNWrI/AAAAAAAAiT8/-BwggXSNhYQMP5qSS-xPQBsAKWf3rhIvgCLcB/s640/Spectre%2Bscreencap%2B%252847%2529.jpg

leatherchairs.co.uk/Bond-apartment-coffee-table-couch-1.jpg

fd029-duralex-picardie-tumbler-scorpion-skyfall.jpg?itok=N7TdlydM
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I used a glass like that in a London hotel back in 2015.
    FB_IMG_1506243009175-1.jpg
    The Blade Runner Whisky glass is far more stylish!
    Why bother with a glass ?
    bottle-drinking.jpg
    Do you mind. It's bad enough seeing all the chavs in my area every day without seeing them on a Bond website! ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I was just watching OP for the first time in a while-I thought I knew every frame of this film--and I finally noticed Walter Gotell's over-the-top acting/rolling of his eyes/falling back into his chair as Orlov starts going through the tank count in Czechoslavia. I guess I was always focused on Orlov in this scene (because Berkoff chews the scenery so effectively).

Gotell does improve dramatically with "This is absolute madness. We know where it will end!"
  • Why bother with a glass ?
    bottle-drinking.jpg

You should drop that in the "Post a picture of yourself! :P" thread.
    Why bother with a glass ?
    bottle-drinking.jpg

You should drop that in the "Post a picture of yourself! :P" thread.

Here he is today, 10 years later
    2911b15b3e384cf4810f60364c718372.jpeg