Do you believe in ghosts?

Comments

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce is a god in his own way, sir.
    Sound like something a cult follower would say.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It was this or the priesthood.
    Only ghost I believe in is @TheWizardOfIce.

He is known to haunt the patience of many an MI6 member. I've still got scars from our many encounters, and he's known to possess members to make them seem like trolls, leading to the mods banning them. Cruel business. I was going to call the Ghostbusters to take care of him, but they're all a bunch of obnoxious goofball feminists now.

He is known to haunt the patience of many an MI6 member. I've still got scars from our many encounters, and he's known to possess members to make them seem like trolls, leading to the mods banning them. Cruel business. I was going to call the Ghostbusters to take care of him, but they're all a bunch of obnoxious goofball feminists now.

We could try hiring a priest to exorcise him maybe ?

imgres-1.jpeg

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Lol.
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    edited July 2017 Posts: 14,247
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I went to college. That should answer the question posed by the thread's title.

I did too - twice and for five years in total. I have a Masters in Law, yet I still believe in the unexplained and that science does not have all of the answers.

Well, he's a wizard anyway.
    How can anyone "beleive in the unexplained". Its simple fact that there are many things that the humns species has yet to explain. Science does have all the answers. Its just that we have not learned to use science well enough to find the answers or we have massive disadvantages (re time and distance) regarding fact finding.
    patb wrote: »
    How can anyone "beleive in the unexplained". Its simple fact that there are many things that the humns species has yet to explain. Science does have all the answers. Its just that we have not learned to use science well enough to find the answers or we have massive disadvantages (re time and distance) regarding fact finding.

Or that science is an inadequate means to explain everything. What's to say scientific theories are right for all time? They're right until someone else comes along and disproves them. They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have 100% faith it, yet many treat science as the Gospel used to be treated.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Correctly put, @patb. And the intellectually lazy thing to do would be to seek solace in the arms of ancient, Medieval superstitions.

There are
    1) things we know
    2) things we don't know yet

but the latter provide no excuse for superstitious, magical, religious, ... thinking; they demand patience.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,302
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Or that science is an inadequate means to explain everything. What's to say scientific theories are right for all time? They're right until someone else comes along and disproves them. They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have !00% faith it, yet many treat science as the Gospel used to be treated.

Gravity existed way before Newton found a way to express it, evolution existed before Darwin found a way to express, DNA existed before etc etc..all things exist before humans show an interest. There were theories that the World was flat, those theories were wrong and we move on to better ones. Our expereince of science is to come up with theories and do our best to prove or disprove (unlike religion) we do this by research and gathering more facts. Nothing wrong with disproving theories, its part of growing up. We should embrace this as its a sign we are moving forward. History tells us that scientists are far more flexible in dumping bad theories and moving on compared to those who abondone science and look to hocus pocus junk.

PS you dont have to have faith in science, its just there.

Or that science is an inadequate means to explain everything. What's to say scientific theories are right for all time? They're right until someone else comes along and disproves them. They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have !00% faith it, yet many treat science as the Gospel used to be treated.

Science never declares itself as the absolute decider of truth, however. It's all about asking questions over and over and finding ways to answer them, as well as reevaluating old answers to see if they stand up to the tests of time. The ever questioning scientist is the polar opposite of the man of faith, who thinks little and clings to the hope of something being true without supporting it. A scientist can get nowhere without fact or data that supports their end goal or hypothesis.

"They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have 100% faith in."

Are we still talking about science here, or every religious text known to man? ;)

"They were thought up by man, hence they are fallible and subject to change. It's therefore not something I would have 100% faith in."

Are we still talking about science here, or every religious text known to man? ;)

No, as religious texts are thought up by the Deity the said religion worships and has faith in, not by man, though he may be responsible for its transcription.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've always said I'll immediately become a religious, God-fearing man for the rest of my days if someone can give me factual proof that God exists, but nobody has taken me up on the offer!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've always said I'll immediately become a religious, God-fearing man for the rest of my days if someone can give me factual proof that God exists, but nobody has taken me up on the offer!

Christianity as a religion that depends on faith. it is why the Christian life is so difficult to live up to. If it was that simple, everyone would follow it. I think that these two passages from Scripture sum it up best:

Hebrews 11:1King James Version (KJV)

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

John 20:29 (KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Hebrews 11:1King James Version (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

John 20:29

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

I believe.
    Science is not the truth in the same way that religion is not the truth,
    science is the path to the truth.
    Science is not the truth in the same way that religion is not the truth,
    science is the path to the truth.

And faith is the path to God in religion.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No, as religious texts are thought up by the Deity the said religion worships and has faith in, not by man, though he may be responsible for its transcription.

This makes me want to vomit.

Very well, lesson number 1 then. Let's start with the simple things first:
    https://users.drew.edu/jlenz/whynot.html
    A combination of faith and a religious quote is usually the response I get as a substitute for a request of evidence.
    Thats true
    DarthDimi wrote: »

This makes me want to vomit.

Very well, lesson number 1 then. Let's start with the simple things first:
    https://users.drew.edu/jlenz/whynot.html

That me be so, but that is the ultimate authorship.

Maybe this is best reserved for a general religion thread here, though I gather the last one was deleted very soon after its creation.

Let us keep this thread for a discussion on ghosts, not religious belief.
    A combination of faith and a religious quote is usually the response I get as a substitute for a request of evidence.

That is where the faith comes from - the scripture. Hence, that is why it is quoted.

The deity, right. I was worried that would be the "defense" I'd get; from the lips of God to men's ears. It's funny that when Joan of Arc had the same experience of hearing messages from a greater power just as these so-called disciples of God did she got burned at the stake for it.

It really is amazing how many different gods and prophets there are, in the millions, and each one with the certainty that they are the supreme text to live and die by. What are the chances that the Christians are the only ones out of those millions to have hit the nail on the head? What's our "God" in a sea of other gods?

If you look at the inherent misogyny of the bible, there's really no other explanation than a bunch of men from the time writing it. Why else would Eve be the one to do the evil act and be tempted to steal the fruit, thus placing women into servitude as punishment for the original sin? That's definitely an idea a bunch of men would have.

The creation of a heaven and hell system is basic sociological control, and little more. If I wanted the populace to behave I'd certainly think of imagining a place where they'd burn for eternity if they did wrong too, in the hopes to deter crime or lessen it immensely. I'd give it an extra push by making up rules on stone tablets too, saying that a man in the sky with the power to kill you told me to tell you to behave.

And all this was in the day where people were thick and believed it all without question. But in 2017 with all the information and reality proving truth we have available, that mindset has gotta go. We've got people running around saying the earth is flat, that global climate change is a myth, and that God is among us. That is terrifying, to say the least.

On that note, it's time for two quotes from one of the greatest philosophical, atheist minds of our time: Rust Cohle.

tumblr_n48ssyWVfI1ttjvs0o1_500.jpg

Bye5Ci6IUAElWu5.jpg
    If ghosts exist, they exist, just like apples or hammers. Science includes everything that exists so to somehow try to exclude science and have a World beyond science in which all the "hocus pocus" exists makes no sense.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, rewatched the series a week ago and that scene in particular is one of my favorites. Tears hundreds of people down in just a few paragraphs.

@Dragonpol, and that's my issue with it: zero evidence is required, and pretty much any obstacle or question results in someone reverting back to quoting an ancient book. Doesn't get much easier than that. It's called deflection.

The deity, right. I was worried that would be the "defense" I'd get; from the lips of God to men's ears. It's funny that when Joan of Arc had the same experience of hearing messages from a greater power just as these so-called disciples of God did she got burned at the stake for it.

It really is amazing how many different gods and prophets there are, in the millions, and each one with the certainty that they are the supreme text to live and die by. What are the chances that the Christians are the only ones out of those millions to have hit the nail on the head? What's our "God" in a sea of other gods?

If you look at the inherent misogyny of the bible, there's really no other explanation than a bunch of men from the time writing it. Why else would Eve be the one to do the evil act and be tempted to steal the fruit, thus placing women into servitude as punishment for the original sin? That's definitely an idea a bunch of men would have.

The creation of a heaven and hell system is basic sociological control, and little more. If I wanted the populace to behave I'd certainly think of imagining a place where they'd burn for eternity if they did wrong too, in the hopes to deter crime or lessen it immensely. I'd give it an extra push by making up rules on stone tablets too, saying that a man in the sky with the power to kill you told me to tell you to behave.

And all this was in the day where people were thick and believed it all without question. But in 2017 with all the information and reality proving truth we have available, that mindset has gotta go. We've got people running around saying the earth is flat, that global climate change is a myth, and that God is among us. That is terrifying, to say the least.

On that note, it's time for two quotes from one of the greatest philosophical, atheist minds of our time: Rust Cohle.

tumblr_n48ssyWVfI1ttjvs0o1_500.jpg

Bye5Ci6IUAElWu5.jpg

And who burned Joan of Arc? Man, not God.

I also highly doubt that there are "millions" of different gods and prophets in the world that its inhabitants believe in. Where is the evidence for that?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, rewatched the series a week ago and that scene in particular is one of my favorites. Tears hundreds of people down in just a few paragraphs.

@Dragonpol, and that's my issue with it: zero evidence is required, and pretty much any obstacle or question results in someone reverting back to quoting an ancient book. Doesn't get much easier than that. It's called deflection.

That is our evidence of faith. Faith by its very nature requires believing in something that is unseen, unknown and ultimately maybe even something that is unproven while still living too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

That is where the faith comes from - the scripture. Hence, that is why it is quoted.

Since we all know that every child is born an Atheist, and beliefs are based on where you were born, how you were raised and who influenced you, who influenced your belief in God, @Dragonpol ?

Since we all know that every child is born an Atheist, and beliefs are based on where you were born, how you were raised and who influenced you, who influenced your belief in God, @Dragonpol ?

Well, I suppose my parents, Sunday School teachers, ministers of religion, the church, teachers in school and my own faculties.
    From selling Coke, or Big Macs or God, the rule is the same:

catch em while their young.