Do you believe in ghosts?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No. There is no decent proof. They seem only to appear at night and are impervious to detection.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Tracy wrote: »
    Elvis : Ah ain't dead , just been livin upstairs at Graceland since '77.

No, everyone knows that Elvis was abducted by rock n' roll lovin' aliens:

:))

The honest truth he had to go undercover as a special agent for the FBI , it's complicated.......
    Ben Drowned.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 9,771
    This thread actually came up in a personal conversation. The issue I have with most nonbeliever/aethiests is they assume "believers want to believe hence why they believe" and nothing could be further from the truth especially when it comes to the paranormal on this planet. I would love it if ghosts weren't real if there wasn't a hell etc I don't believe because I want to I believe because after 20 years of research including historical documents reading the latest archeological news and of course both my own experiences and those of others I have realized that it would require far more "faith" to be an atheist and not believe then it would to believe.

And yes while history is more a hobby of mine then my job I do have a masters in it and know not only to check the sources of what I read but their sources and so on. Do have the science explaining how Christ rose from the dead. No I don't I know of some scientist who have theories based on radiation fragments left on the shroud of Turin (and I do mean scientist who have 2-3 different doctorates) but regardless I don't just believe any old fairy tale I investigate ask questions etc. of course if anyone wants to try and argue with me my pm box is open to all and I mean that sincerely. Like I said I have investigated it all from Near death experiences to supernatural encounters stigmata demonic possession etc and while 99% of the cases can be explained away (and I am being generous to you guys in saying 99%) in reality you can't explain it all away and we both know that there is enough in that 1% that shows there is something not of this world in this world
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In much the same token, some think atheists don't believe because they enjoy being contrarian, but I and many other atheists I know, including my best friend, would love to believe in things like an afterlife where happiness is an actual tangible force and not a bullshit and hollow platitude. It's just that when one actually tries to conceive of something like a Hell that has "man-made" painted in neon on its every description or when one tries to think of how a Christ-like figure-or Christ himself if you believe he was real-could have actually risen from the dead following a brutal nailing and stabbing combo, well it all becomes embarrassing, to be honest.

There's a reason why so many of us think that people who believe in this stuff are taking the piss. I don't mean to be rude, but it's seriously insane to me that we are still having to tell people that these fairy tales have no basis in reality.
    In much the same token, some think atheists don't believe because they enjoy being contrarian, but I and many other atheists I know, including my best friend, would love to believe in things like an afterlife where happiness is an actual tangible force and not a bullshit and hollow platitude. It's just that when one actually tries to conceive of something like a Hell that has "man-made" painted in neon on its every description or when one tries to think of how a Christ-like figure-or Christ himself if you believe he was real-could have actually risen from the dead following a brutal nailing and stabbing combo, well it all becomes embarrassing, to be honest.

There's a reason why so many of us think that people who believe in this stuff are taking the piss. I don't mean to be rude, but it's seriously insane to me that we are still having to tell people that these fairy tales have no basis in reality.

If Christ is God, and God created the universe and everything in it, would he not be able to rise from the dead?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »

If Christ is God, and God created the universe and everything in it, would he not be able to rise from the dead?

If one was willing to sacrifice the brain cells required to entertain such a proposition, maybe, but I am not.

If we want to go by bible logic that thinking works when you are discussing it as a piece of writing by itself, but when you try to say that what happened in the bible with Christ's resurrection was a real historical event, now you've lost me. I love Harry Potter and what the books have taught me about life, but you won't find me trying to get the broom in my dad's garage to lift off the ground so I can play Quidditch. It becomes important to look at literature-which the bible is-and learn what is real and what is not about it, taking from it the lessons we need while realizing that fiction is fiction.

If one was willing to sacrifice the brain cells required to entertain such a proposition, maybe, but I am not.

If we want to go by bible logic that thinking works when you are discussing it as a piece of writing by itself, but when you try to say that what happened in the bible with Christ's resurrection was a real historical event, now you've lost me. I love Harry Potter and what the books have taught me about life, but you won't find me trying to get the broom in my dad's garage to lift off the ground so I can play Quidditch. It becomes important to look at literature-which the bible is-and learn what is real and what is not about it, taking from it the lessons we need while realizing that fiction is fiction.

You seem to assume that all writing is fiction.

Nope, just the stuff that is.

So, why do you think that the Bible is fiction?

Jesus Christ-literally-don't make me whip out some of the late, great Mr. Christopher Hitchens.

Jesus Christ-literally-don't make me whip out some of the late, great Mr. Christopher Hitchens.

I'm honestly interested, because to me it's the most real and wonderful of books - which is most definitely historically true and accurate.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    There's no point debating with atheists. They believe what they believe so why not let them.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's up to those who proclaim something exists, to prove it. Not the other way round.
    It's up to those who proclaim something exists, to prove it. Not the other way round.

In the end, it all comes down to faith.

Hebrews 11:1King James Version (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Ah, Faith..... No evidence or proof needed ! :D
    Ah, Faith..... No evidence or proof needed ! :D

For the true believer faith is a large part of it but there is plenty of hard evidence of the happenings in the Bible. It is a record of true historical events, after all.
    It's as truthful as a Donald Trump election speech. ;)
    There are plenty of books out there on the subject of the historical accuracy of the Bible - I point you to those.
    Don't worry I've studied the Bible, to be
    Better prepared to counter the arguments.
    Such as why so many Christians, don't follow their own rules.
    Working on a Sunday .... To be killed
    Teenage pregnancy ..... To be killed
    Sadly if you're not doing that, sadly it's off to hell for you all. Not my rules but yours. ;)
    Sadly if you're not doing that, sadly it's off to hell for you all. Not my rules but yours. ;)

Old Testament Rules. The coming of Christ was the new covenant. The Old Testament has to be read in light of the New Testament.
    From the book of Leviticus. Same place all the homophobic stuff comes from, I guess Christians just pick and chose who they're going to pick on.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    On another note:

TV was invented by a spiritualist society as a tool for seances. A technological ouija board if you will.

Christ's blood forgives all your sins if you trust and believe that he died and rose for you.
    So a get out of jail card..... For everything ! :))
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,808
    From the book of Leviticus. Same place all the homophobic stuff comes from, I guess Christians just pick and chose who they're going to pick on.

And that book is, as I said already above, in the Old Testament.

What do you mean? It's so much more than just forgiveness. When you come to Jesus you have a restored relationship with God.

What do you mean? It's so much more than just forgiveness. When you come to Jesus you have a restored relationship with God.

There's no point in debating this with those who have made their mind up years ago.
    If it is old testament, why are you guys still so hateful to gay people ? Not much love shown there. And having the get out of jail card. It's easy to strap explosives to yourself, ( in the name of your God) for his glory. :D
    If it is old testament, why are you guys still so hateful to gay people ? Not much love shown there. And having the get out of jail card. It's easy to strap explosives to yourself, ( in the name of your God) for his glory. :D

Christians don't hate gay people. I have many friends that are gay. I do think it's wrong to partake in homosexual activities and practice, doesn't mean I hate people who are gay. I think it's wrong to have sex outside of marriage, steal, lie, watch porn - etc. But I don't hate people who do these things - we are all sinners. Why would I strap explosives to myself?!