Do you believe in ghosts?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have to guess some people feel the need to believe in something, no matter what
    Load of old bollocks someone is selling. With no need for evidence or proof. That's
    How the used to sell snake oil. :D I'm sure you must still have a bottle or two. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What do you believe in then, sucker?
    " I believe in a reasonable rate of return" ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,554
    It is possible that much of what we think of as "ghosts" are actually forms of energy that have (for whatever reason) bent space and time. Nolan explored this phenomenon in Interstellar, and scientists did not completely dismiss the film's premise. I am also reminded of Prometheus and Guardians of the Galaxy in which devices allow people to capture energy/force fields many years later, to see people in the past--in which they move like ghosts.
    Agreed, Hollywood is always the best place to get scientific knowledge. :)) I love
    How in modern horror films ( or documentaries, as believers call them ). Someone
    Always turns into Spiderman, walking up walls backwards, and across ceilings. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We'll get a real-life death star before we get any devices that can "capture energy/force fields." Probably light sabers too.
    TripAces wrote: »
    It is possible that much of what we think of as "ghosts" are actually forms of energy that have (for whatever reason) bent space and time. Nolan explored this phenomenon in Interstellar, and scientists did not completely dismiss the film's premise. I am also reminded of Prometheus and Guardians of the Galaxy in which devices allow people to capture energy/force fields many years later, to see people in the past--in which they move like ghosts.

That is an interesting hypothesis... Which would need to be investigated had we specimens of what we call ghosts to analyse, observe, dissect, whatever. That's the issue here: we have no trace of ghosts to work on. And those who claim seeing one show zero evidence and in the same time jump to conclusion regarding the nature of what they think they saw: souls of dead people.
    Luckily last night, I dug out my old Ouija board for a bit of a séance, quickly contacting
    Albert Einstein, who told me ghosts didn't exist. :D
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

Luckily last night, I dug out my old Ouija board for a bit of a séance, quickly contacting
    Albert Einstein, who told me ghosts didn't exist. :D

Ah, but you've tripped yourself up there. I would normally believe you but unfortunately you have left one important fact. Albert Einstein only answers questions on Friday evenings. Are you sure you weren't communicating with that other famous Albert - Albert Tatlock?

Elvis : Ah ain't dead , just been livin upstairs at Graceland since '77.
    Now that you mention it @stag I did think it odd when Einstein started saying
    "Eh, up lad" and asking about whippets ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Tracy wrote: »
    Elvis : Ah ain't dead , just been livin upstairs at Graceland since '77.

No, everyone knows that Elvis was abducted by rock n' roll lovin' aliens:

:))
    For those who haven t experienced conclusive evidence personally, I guess it boils down to what you believe regarding another matter.

Does mind make matter or does matter make mind?
    Or " I don't mind and you don't matter !" :P

( this comment is only a joke, not a personal attack ) :)>-
    Some think a joke is a personal attack.

I think a personal attack is a joke.
    "How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
    Marcus Aurelius

Battle of the Thunder's methinks...
    First smart thing you ever said.
    Me ?
    HAHAHA! No, but thanks for that.
    hehe told you...jet-lag...gonna be a long night !!
    "Jetlag", eh?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Today, in chemistry class, I was interrogated by a bunch of lovely school girls about my personal thoughts concerning ghosts. "Do you believe in ghosts?" Turns out they'd just been watching The Conjuring 2 and had thought the film rather convincing. (So much for teenage sophistication in the field of special and visual effects.) As I was writing down some lovely equations on the blackboard, I coldly replied, "by no means, love. I don't "believe", I only accept facts." One of them, not in the slightest offended by my remark, said, "I don't believe in ghosts - but I do think there's something dwelling among us which we can't understand." I was going to point out that that something is called dark matter, but refrained from doing so...

... as the exceptionally amusing monologue continued. "You see, my computer switches on and off all by itself! I'm gone for 2 minutes and the screen has turned black! I swear!", whereupon another girl shouted, "it's called a SCREEN SAVER, silly!"

From screen savers to "something dwelling among us." It would appear people need VERY little to assume the supernatural. Many will spend a lifetime fearing ghosts, one day dying with the knowledge they've never actually encountered one. The closest thing to it? A faint breeze in the living room. Water pipes making some sounds. And of course the ever convincing pictures and videos on the Internet, the absolute source of truth, the purest medium for intellectual enlightenment. Other than that, no serious experiences. Yet a lifetime of faith. And then you die, with the cold realisation it really is the end. The afterlife you've always believed in, doesn't exist. Opportunities for resurrection? Nil.

Why do people feel compelled to dilute themselves with delusion, clinging onto hilariously silly concepts from fantasy and horror, rather than apply logic and reasoning, which are the only things that have ever amounted to anything.
    I can't say that I've ever seen a ghost and I probably do not believe in them, however I do agree with theories concerning their existence:
    1. they do not haunt a cemetery, they only haunt the place where they died
    2. From the movie, "The Others" I buy the theory that the spirit world exists beside our world and when the two worlds intersect then that is when we see ghosts and they can see us.
    3. Being spirits, I do not think one can physically harm us even if they wanted to.

conclusion, I do not believe in ghosts... :))
    My cider was cold and now it is warm. Ghosts, I tell you! Or the Russian government. Could be the Loch Ness monster, too. They are all the same.
    My cider was cold and now it is warm. Ghosts, I tell you! Or the Russian government. Could be the Loch Ness monster, too. They are all the same.

What can you do with them?!
    Pretend they are not there, or nuke them.
    Pretend they are not there, or nuke them.

And that sums up the majority of this thread, folks.
    Is experiment superior to experience? Or are they the same?
    Is experiment superior to experience? Or are they the same?

Scientists always think that they are superior. Cold reason has no time for experience.