No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

@bondjames fair enough btw I prefer my Heineken cold and in the bottle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @timmer, I just wrote the following to the National Post author (I'm sick of the the writs-slashing shit, honestly):

Good evening Sadaf...

I write to you to implore you to rise above the regular click-bait articles re: Daniel Craig... and... perhaps/maybe? do a little more research into the actor, a consummate professional of stage (most recently in OTHELLO (look up the reviews of his Iago (as well as David Oyelowo's title character)), and film and TV...

As is evident from my opening introduction, from me to you, I am a fan of Bond, but, especially Daniel Craig (http://nationalpost.com/opinion/peter-sheldrick-why-james-bond-remains-the-worlds-favourite-secret-agent/wcm/f39dfedd-c83a-4b39-9352-429a80610da2).

Re: the wrist-slashing comment: isn't it getting old to you reporters? That interview was given two days after filming wrapped on a nine month shoot, where, yet again, the lead actor sustained a serious injury (this time a blown out knee-- have you ever blown out a knee? To say it's incredibly painful's an understatement); so, a little context to the quote.

Daniel Craig was being dry and sardonic in that first interview after SPECTRE. And for two years he's been punished for being half honest (he basically finished a "marathon" project that injured him), and half-joking...

I mean, seriously, in the Donald Trump world; no wonder why that orange monster is "winning"; it's because the media has become lazy. Reporters don't research and investigate. They click and click and click and see what everyone else is clicking about so even on something so innocuous as an actor being sardonic, suddenly that becomes newsworthy, and, the "truth" (take someone's words and twist them to fit an agenda).

I blame you media guys for voting in Trump if you can't, willingly, or unwillingly, have the good sense to see when an actor is joking and he is exhausted.

Daniel Craig is a rich, and successful actor. But what you media types refuse to report is his admission to this where he has, in the past, realized his riches and good-fortune, and how he takes care of his family (and buys art); you fail to talk about his process as an artist:

“SELF-AWARENESS IS THE ENEMY OF ALL CREATIVITY. AS SOON AS YOU START THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF AND ONLY YOURSELF, YOU STOP CREATING. THAT’S WHEN YOUR EGO TAKES OVER”

If he comes back to 007 (and I sincerely hope he does), it will be because he sees that he can do more with the role.

I expect more from the NP, and its reporters.

Stop doing click-bait pieces, and do more research into your subject.

Daniel Craig just so happens to be a great actor, a great character-actor, with genuine charisma, and heart. When the man is being honest about his state of mind at the moment (after filming SPECTRE and slashing his wrists), does he now hafta be concerned how an exhausted aside will now paint him for years to come???

Does an honest character like Craig hafta watch everything he says in case the dopey idiot who wants clicks will purposefully misconstrue his words? Do you really want colorful quotes to be dimmed onto the level of the average NHL player "uh... we gotta, uh, dig, uh... deep and uh... skate... and uh... we gotta get, uh... more shots on net"... IS THIS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT??

If that is the case, then Donald Trump will win the next election, and colorful characters like Daniel Craig will be muted into blandness. Congratulations....

Peter Sheldrick
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    timmer wrote: »
    Just like Bond. Good choice.

My take: 2018 and it's Craig. 2019 and we're off with someone new (I'll make a concession for an early 2019 release when he may still be back).
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,622
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just like Bond. Good choice.

My take: 2018 and it's Craig. 2019 and we're off with someone new (I'll make a concession for an early 2019 release when he may still be back).

So I only collect if Craig and B25 is not released until July 2019 or later, ie late 2019.
    Anything before, we'll call a draw as we would both have predicted accurately.

@peter
    That'll show her.
    It is lazy writing. eg she also talks about Craig being back in the speedo, presumably after taking a quick gander at the CR photo, not knowing that the blue suit was pretty much a CR one-and-done.
    We didn't really get much of a look in the SF pool scene did we? Not that she likely gave that consideration.

Craig's wrist-slash comment was ill advised but the rest of his little speech back then, I think rings true. ie he was done with Bond for a good long time.

Edit: @peter I just read your Full Comment piece in National Post linked above. Well done!
    Thanks for posting the link!

boldfinger wrote: »
    I'm not sure who they want to go with next, but I really feel they're boxed in with Craig. They will have to contort to get out of this, and one wonders if it's worth it for one film with him (the most they'll get) or whether they should just cut the cord now and move on.

Irrespective, I'm intrigued to see what they do. It's not an easy call.
    Considering how they several times now changed the whole tone and also ignored what came before, what would be the big deal with doing the same again?
    Are you referring to during the Craig era? If so, then I think this time is different, because of SP connecting everything together and introducing Blofeld as foster brother. It has created an overbearing anchor weight on the entire Craig narrative arc. Ideally, they should ignore it completely going forward (for reasons mentioned before such as the lack of resonance in the US market, which they will need to conquer next time out).

If they do ignore it, as I recommend, then where do they go? Darker, like they did with SF, or lighter (into Moore territory)? If it's the former, then the inevitable comparisons to SF will ensue. If it's the latter, then why not just recast?

All the while, the shadow of wrist cutter, money demand stories etc, will linger.
    I don´t think darker or lighter will be much of an issue, if they make a really good film. SP´s main problem wasn´t the plot or the unsatisfying action, but that it dragged on the whole, as a film.

edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not sure who they want to go with next, but I really feel they're boxed in with Craig. They will have to contort to get out of this, and one wonders if it's worth it for one film with him (the most they'll get) or whether they should just cut the cord now and move on.

Considering how they several times now changed the whole tone and also ignored what came before, what would be the big deal with doing the same again?
    Are you referring to during the Craig era? If so, then I think this time is different, because of SP connecting everything together and introducing Blofeld as foster brother. It has created an overbearing anchor weight on the entire Craig narrative arc. Ideally, they should ignore it completely going forward (for reasons mentioned before such as the lack of resonance in the US market, which they will need to conquer next time out).

If they do ignore it, as I recommend, then where do they go? Darker, like they did with SF, or lighter (into Moore territory)? If it's the former, then the inevitable comparisons to SF will ensue. If it's the latter, then why not just recast?

All the while, the shadow of wrist cutter, money demand stories etc, will linger.
    I don´t think darker or lighter will be much of an issue, if they make a really good film. SP´s main problem wasn´t the plot or the unsatisfying action, but that it dragged on the whole, as a film.
    As I said earlier, I'm of the opinion that they have a few albatrosses around their neck which it will be difficult to extricate from. I agree that they can overcome these issues, but the film will have to be pitch perfect.

I realize folks say that Moore stayed on for FYEO and they reset for the 2nd time there (the first time being TSWLM), but as I said before, that was after two years and not the four/five which it looks like we will have here. It's all going to come down to timing.

You really should try some real beer.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,162

As I said earlier, I'm of the opinion that they have a few albatrosses around their neck which it will be difficult to extricate from. I agree that they can overcome these issues, but the film will have to be pitch perfect.

I realize folks say that Moore stayed on for FYEO and they reset for the 2nd time there (the first time being TSWLM), but as I said before, that was after two years and not the four/five which it looks like we will have here. It's all going to come down to timing.

Also, in the long run they didn't do themselves any favors with the younger public, who really had difficulties to connect longer with this elderly gent as an action figure, especially in the times of Indiana Jones and Lethal weapon.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

Also, in the long run they didn't do themselves any favors with the younger public, who really had difficulties to connect longer with this elderly gent as an action figure, especially in the times of Indiana Jones and Lethal weapon.
    That is a good point. Moore came back for two more after FYEO so it was perhaps worth keeping him on, even if the series became less relevant during that time (I'd argue that was as much on account of the lowered ambitions post-MR than Moore).

Will Craig come back for more than one? If not, I just don't see the point in keeping him on if the release date is in late 2019 or later, especially given his connected 'brother' angle was completed. He has his girl, he's left the force (ostensibly) and he showed compassion for the man who took nearly everything away from him.

It's open ended, which is the way it should be for a series that must continue. If they try to go back and complete the Blofeld story, as some are suggesting, there is the risk that they make it nearly impossible to go forward after that, because the last 13-14 years will then have been one big interconnected melodrama (take a look at that timeframe again - some kids have grown to be teenagers during this elapsed time).
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    This article says there is an official hiatus on the bond films http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40592636
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,588
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    This article says there is an official hiatus on the bond films http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40592636
    It never says "official". The use of hiatus is most likely an inference on their part.
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »

As I read it, that's a conclusion/description of the writer. Eon hasn't officially said there's a hiatus. (Recall there was an announcement when MGM's financial situation caused things to shut down.)

Here's the passage from the BBC.com story:

//Its announcement comes during a hiatus in production on the James Bond films, which Broccoli and Wilson have co-produced since 1995.//

It says there's a hiatus in production on the Bond films which we are well aware about - no Bond film has gone into production since Spectre. Why are you repeating what we already know?
  • FWIW, a definition of the word hiatus.

//a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.//

FWIW, a definition of the word hiatus.

Exactly - we are in between Bond films at the moment.
    Dennison wrote: »

What I mean by hiatus is they haven't done anything its for all this people who think they are working behind the scenes they aren't they aren't even in pre pre production
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,031

What I mean by hiatus is they haven't done anything its for all this people who think they are working behind the scenes they aren't they aren't even in pre pre production

No it says there's a hiatus in PRODUCTION - PRODUCTION, not pre-production. We all know things are being held up at the moment by the distributor situation. This isn't news. Eon/Barbara Broccoli are working on other films too.

No it says there's a hiatus in PRODUCTION - PRODUCTION, not pre-production. We all know things are being held up at the moment by the distributor situation. This isn't news. Eon/Barbara Broccoli are working on other films too.

Are they able to work on both some people think so some people not so much

Eon are working on Bond 25. They won't enter pre-production until they have developed the story and screenplay, which is precisely what they are doing with P&W.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Eon are working on Bond 25. They won't enter pre-production until they have developed the story and screenplay, which is precisely what they are doing with P&W.

That is pre-production.

Yes. Barbara Broccoli was producing Radiator at the same time as Spectre. Kathleen Kennedy is currently supervising the post-production on one Star Wars film and the production of another. Yes, film producers often work on more than one film at a given time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,078
    It's only a rumour P&W are working on a script, and even if they were, it tells us virtually nothing. We've seen productions in development for years without getting anywhere. I think that GE went through many stages of rewrites whilst Dalton was still Bond, and after. They could be working on a script now, and still not have a finished film by 2020. I think those still believing things will just fall into place for a 2018 release date are being very optimistic. If they push hard for 2018, likely it will be another troubled shoot and lead to everyone pointing fingers again when the final product doesn't perform as desired. That's precisely the circumstance they would like to avoid, which is why I tend to think 2018 is already off the table, even if it is strictly speaking still possible.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,400
    This is very interesting news indeed….

Clearly EON have spent the last few years attempting to assert themselves away from Bond. This always felt like something Barbara Broccoli (with her considerable influence in the industry) was wasting her talents not doing. It was also nice to see her working away from the genre of Bond and moving into other areas. But what is most surprising here is the clear suggestion that this series has the potential to become a franchise within the espionage genre.

Are we finally getting a Jane Bond? It would apparently seem so…..at least in a superficial sense.

Two things immediately come to mind hearing this news.

1.) If this is “Jane Bond” then Blake Lively is shockingly disappointing casting. She’s just a B-movie star and clearly the fourth name on the list before EON settled on her. I feel with Blake’s involvement, this will last for one film before dying out. If they wanted this thing to have legs they needed someone with more talent. However, she is damn beautiful. But that can only get you so far.

time-100-blake-lively-today-170426-tease_c4d2318c9b419d8f413bc43bdcd51d38.today-ss-slide-desktop.jpg

2.) The choice of director. Firstly, they have picked a woman. Reed Morano is representative of Broccoli’s attempt to get more women into film. EON have mounted 4 other films over the last 4 years aside from Bond pictures and 3 have been directed by women. Clearly Broccoli is making a concerted effort to be more inclusive. Which is a bloody good thing, and about damn time.

But what is more interesting is Morano’s talent as a director and cinematographer. I follow her Instagram and it’s clear to me that the woman is damn talented. Check it out for yourself:
    https://www.instagram.com/reedmorano/?hl=en

Plus she is having a bit of a moment currently with The Handmaiden’s Tale proving to be a bit of a cultural phenomenon.

When we talk of getting rid of the old crusty nostalgic feel of the Bond films, and moving towards something which is more daring and edgy: We’re talking about someone like Reed Morano.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this film proves her audition for the Bond gig. Also, I think she’s a beautiful woman, why can’t she play the lead as well?

042517-big-deal-reed-morano-lead.jpg?itok=uGNtxxZz

That is pre-production.

Pre-production is once the film beginnings hiring crew - early stages are scheduling, budgeting, early casting (pre-pre production if u like) and then the production department gears up (LP, PM, AD etc.) and more HOD's are employed, Art department, SFX, Stunts, and the crew builds from there as the pre-production advances (Bond is normally about 5 months or so) towards Principle Photography. At present Bond 25 is in development.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    "IM Global’s Stuart Ford and the company’s production topper Greg Shapiro (The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, Detroit) and author/screenwriter Burnell will serve as executive producers. The project is slated to go before the cameras in the fall of 2017 in locations such as the UK, Ireland, Spain, Switzerland and the U.S.

The books and the story are closer to the Bourne or Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series than Bond in that they are more reality based, and like those films will be a big-budget international undertaking."

https://deadline.com/2017/07/blake-lively-reed-morano-team-espionage-thriller-feature-movie-1202127618/

Despite being "more reality based", I do think the amount of globe trotting will inevitably give it the "Jane Bond" label. Which given the B-ranking of the main star, is likely not going to help launch the female spy genre. And perhaps even, this is a sign by Eon that they're not about to give in to demand for a female Bond.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the film pans out.
  • RC7RC7

That is pre-production.

It's not. The project is in development, but hasn't been 'greenlit'. Once the distributor is locked, financing can begin and the project will officially move into pre-production. You've likely heard people describe projects as being 'stuck in development'. That is the phase Bond is in. (Although not stuck).
    RC7 wrote: »

That is pre-production.

It's not. The project is in development, but hasn't been 'greenlit'. Once the distributor is locked, financing can begin and the project will officially move into pre-production. You've likely heard people describe projects as being 'stuck in development'. That is the phase Bond is in. (Although not stuck).

Yeah absolutely, Bond 25 has been green lit.

Maybe I shouldn't say anything else than that ...
  • RC7RC7

That is pre-production.

I don't know what you're talking about?

That is pre-production.

I don't know what you're talking about?

No comment :)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Regarding these rumors and a potential hiatus: