"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

edited July 2019 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
Once again I checked and no tennis thread exists.

So,any tennis buffs....who will be the best this year ?

Federer ? Djokovic ? Nadal ? Murray ? or maybe someone outside the big four ..

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    What time will Sean Connery be at Wimbledon?

Tennish.

I'll see myself out...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Cant say I'm that bothered but its passable methadone while I'm waiting for my next pure shot of football.

Memo to the beeb though - please stop plugging various Aussies and Slovenians who who suddenly decided they are British overnight like its a triumph of tennis in this country. I can barely bring myself to cheer for a jock so you're wasting your time with these people.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    That annoys me as well...we have enough home grown British talent now to challenge..the fact we have 4 Brits into the 3rd round already ,and they can only get better in time,especially with the experience of being given Centre Court or Court 1 or 2 nowadays,is testament to this.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That annoys me as well...we have enough home grown British talent now to challenge..the fact we have 4 Brits into the 3rd round already ,and they can only get better in time,and with this experience of being given Centre Court or Court 1 or 2 nowadays,is testament to this.

4 Brits in the 3rd round?

Joanna Konta - Born Sydney and represented Australia until 2012 and now shes apparently British.

Aljaz Bedene - Born Ljubljana and represented Slovenia until 2015 and now hes apparently British.

I count Heather Watson and Murray as the only Brits through.

What about all the young British players who cant get backing because the LTA is throwing money at funding tourists like this pair?

I'd sooner back a shit Englishman like Tiger Tim or Jeremey Bates than a good Slovenian any day of the week.
    That annoys me as well...we have enough home grown British talent now to challenge..the fact we have 4 Brits into the 3rd round already ,and they can only get better in time,and with this experience of being given Centre Court or Court 1 or 2 nowadays,is testament to this.

4 Brits in the 3rd round?

Joanna Konta - Born Sydney and represented Australia until 2012 and now shes apparently British.

Aljaz Bedene - Born Ljubljana and represented Slovenia until 2015 and now hes apparently British.

I count Heather Watson and Murray as the only Brits through.

What about all the young British players who cant get backing because the LTA is throwing money at funding tourists like this pair?

I'd sooner back a shit Englishman like Tiger Tim or Jeremey Bates than a good Slovenian any day of the week.

Well apparently this is changing,and we are seeing results ,including the young lad who lost today,but gained centre court experience while Djokovic was relegated to Court 1.

We will see.....
  • James Bond plays tennis in Devil May Care (reading through it for the first time now). Then again, M also does yoga in that book, so make of it all what you will.
    James Bond plays tennis in Devil May Care (reading through it for the first time now). Then again, M also does yoga in that book, so make of it all what you will.

Makes a change...actually Bond playing tennis against a villain while they both provoke eachother as 'gentlemen' sounds a good idea !
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    James Bond plays tennis in Devil May Care (reading through it for the first time now). Then again, M also does yoga in that book, so make of it all what you will.

Makes a change...actually Bond playing tennis against a villain while they both provoke eachother as 'gentlemen' sounds a good idea !

You're right. A game of nerves, skill, and stamina.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Chess at 90 miles per hour, as the old saying goes...
    Can you imagine the banter between points with the main villain....maybe watched by the main Bond girl and a henchman...basic,but back to the golf,fencing etc which all worked.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Bernard Lee in a yoga outfit was not an image I needed.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,758
    Love this tournament. For me, one of the two most fascinating sport events in the world, the other being the Ryder Cup.

Unfortunately the Belgians aren't quite as good as they used to be but still a lot to enjoy for me as well.

Always been a fan of Berdych and Federer. Hope they'll do well this year.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have sort of followed my mother (who was a decent amateur tennis player) and I enjoy watching the sport -although I'm most certainly not a decent amateur player myself.

I watch it quite often throughout the year, rather than just Wimbledon. But Wimbledon I guess catches my imagination the most. I have gone from being a Murray hater to a Murray fan and I'd love to see him win it again. Nadal's career has been based around his success at the French Open (10 of his 14 grand slams), so why shouldn't Murray be primarily associated with Wimbledon?

I like Federer's character, and of course you can never bet against the man.

Nadal is looking good.

From those three.
    I want Federer to win, Wimbledon that is. :D

He's my favourite of the older generation, Alexander Zverev is my favourite of the younger generation coming through. He'll be primarily where I focus my Tennis fandom once Federer retires. A big 6 foot 6 German with booming groundstrokes. He has the aura of a true champion.
    Federer was unstoppable last night...he is clever now as he rests a lot and picks and chooses the tournaments he wants to enter,so he is fresh.
    Federer was unstoppable last night...he is clever now as he rests a lot and picks and chooses the tournaments he wants to enter,so he is fresh.

Yes, the grass season is certainly his prime time of the calendar.

He's as fresh as a daisy. :)
    It's a shame though,that Wimbledon is the only grass major.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,758
    Well RG is the only clay major but they are both vastly superior in charm and tradition than both of the hard court grand slams.

Still a shame of course.
    It is indeed,the hard courts don't float my boat at all tbh.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The clay courts always look dangerous to me (although highly entertaining) as players skid around the court.

I notice that the losers in round 1 of Wimbledon only pocket £35,000 each. Poor souls. ;)
    NicNac wrote: »
    The clay courts always look dangerous to me (although highly entertaining) as players skid around the court.

I notice that the losers in round 1 of Wimbledon only pocket £35,000 each.
    Poor souls. ;)

That's why the authorities are looking into the amount of injured players started Wimbledon this year and quickly pulled out,while still getting their money.

Some of them might have did it deliberately knowing they were not fit.

This is a horrible story,which happened yesterday at Wimbledon :

Tennis star writhes in agony screaming 'please help me' after sickening knee injury on court at Wimbledon.

American Bethanie Mattek-Sands has suffered a horror knee injury at Wimbledon.

The wildcard was just starting the third set against Romanian Sorana Cirstea when she collapsed in agony as she moved to the net and attempted to volley.

Clutching her right knee, she screamed: “Please help me, help me, help me.”

Cirstea climbed over the net and called for medical help.

Mattek-Sands remained on Court 17 for over 15 minutes before she was taken away on a stretcher before being put in an ambulance.

While on the ground she was heard calling out "It hurts, hurts so much" despite being given oxygen and an injection to deal with the pain.
    The world No.99 had taken the first set before losing the second in a tie-break.

But was forced to retire in the opening game of the decider after the sickening injury.

Cirstea, who had rushed over the net to her aid, was left watching the medical staff in shock on the court.
    Mattek-Sands and her partner Lucie Safarova were bidding for a fourth straight doubles grand slam title at Wimbledon.

Safarova was seen crying court side during the incident.
    The Woman's Tennis Association said Mattek-Sands had suffered an acute knee injury and had been taken straight to hospital.

Former world No.1 Mary Pearce suffered a similar knee injury in 2006 - and never played again.

Another ill ball-boy on court 2,taken off and replaced.

The heat there is immense again.
    No 1 Kerber out
    1 A. Kerber
    14 G. Muguruza
    She never looked like she was going to win the tournament during any match she played.
    Streuth! Our Jo strolling through to the QFs. I'm cracking open a XXXX to celebrate.
    She has indeed....maybe she can go all the way and win it ?
    Great performance by Müller today! Deserved victory, very impressive.
    That was one hell of a match,brilliant stuff,and I agree that Muller deserved to win it.

Thoroughly enjoyable .