"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

14567810»

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Federer to miss Roland Garros due to knee surgery.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/51571497
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Roger Federer to miss Roland Garros due to knee surgery.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/51571497

Yes, I saw this and as a massive Federer fan this is disappointing. In 2019 when Federer played Roland Garros he made it to the semi's only to be defeated by Nadal. An impressive run for a player that hadn't played on clay for a significant period of time prior. He then went onto lose to Novak in a nail-biting final on the grass. Whether his run on clay gave him the momentum to go deep, we'll never know, but I'd say that Wimbledon is his best opportunity to win another GS.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

This is really sad as along with the AO, Wimbledon is my favourite Championship to watch.
    Historic times indeed.
    Very sad ....but get the top eight wired up.............

edited April 2020 Posts: 1,081
    patb wrote: »
    Very sad ....but get the top eight wired up.............

I love the Johnny Mac commentary.

Woodbridge said that he believes the delay will be of benefit to the Next Gen as they will be able to get match ready quicker then the Big 3. Not sure if I agree.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/09/andy-murray-virtual-madrid-open-tennis-covid-19

Andy Murray will swap a tennis racket for a games controller when he takes part in a virtual Madrid Open later this month.

The Scot and Lucas Pouille were announced as the first two ATP players in the draw on Thursday night, as the tennis world raises money during the coronavirus pandemic. The Madrid Open was scheduled to be held from 1-10 May but has been postponed as both the ATP and WTA Tours have shut down their calendars until at least the middle of July because of the global crisis.

I hope his virtual hip is OK :-)
    Roger Federer has announced he will miss the remainder of the 2020 season after undergoing further surgery on his right knee. :(
    Extremely disappointing news, but if there was a season to miss, 2020 would definitely be the one to pick!
    I wonder how many years left we will have with Roger at top level. I want to believe he can continue to play with the best and win Grand Slams for many more years, but I fear that realistically the red, bright sunlight on the horizon is disappearing very fast...
    Roger's game isn't as physical as Novak's or Rafa's and therefore I feel he will continue to play as long as possible. I agree, though, that he will stop eventually. It's simply amazing that he has been able to maintain such a high level at his age. The reality is that last time he took the back end of a season off he returned in 2017 and had arguably his best season ever.
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Roger's game isn't as physical as Novak's or Rafa's and therefore I feel he will continue to play as long as possible. I agree, though, that he will stop eventually. It's simply amazing that he has been able to maintain such a high level at his age. The reality is that last time he took the back end of a season off he returned in 2017 and had arguably his best season ever.

Lets hope he will replicate that in 2021!
    jobo wrote: »

Lets hope he will replicate that in 2021!

Here's hoping!
    People often ask why ND is not as popular as "the other two" but he really does not help himself sometimes. Meanwhile, IMHO, NK has acted with relative maturity on the issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/53148053

Novak Djokovic: World number one becomes latest tennis player to test positive for coronavirus
    10 years ago today...

John-Isnue-Nicholas-Mahut.jpg

... the longest match in tennis history was played between Nicholas Mahut and John Isner.
    Remarkable match, the whole thing is available on Youtube. The worst part for me is when Mahut, having lost, completely exhausted and in tears, tries to leave the court and officials tell him that a commemoration ceremony has been organised so he has to come back to receive a gift. A lesser man would have walked away but Mahut comes back. True sportsmanship. He is a superb player and rubbish journos define him by this loss rather than his many wins.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Hi everyone! Wow, more than 11 hours. Two years ago I followed the 6 hrs 36 min Wimbledon Semifinal (Kevin Anderson - John Isner) on liveticker. Great experience.
    patb wrote: »
    People often ask why ND is not as popular as "the other two" but he really does not help himself sometimes. Meanwhile, IMHO, NK has acted with relative maturity on the issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/53148053

Novak Djokovic: World number one becomes latest tennis player to test positive for coronavirus

This is seriously a farce. Novak organized the tournament and it was his idea from the beginning.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I reckon Someone new will win US Open in September, as Novak and Rafa won't have as much practice as usual, and they need confidence to play at their best. I'm hoping Zverev or Thiem can make a breakthrough and win one for the under thirties, been a long time.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Nadal will not be going to the US Open this year anyway.
    The rest of the season will probably be cancelled, IMO.

That is probably the most likely outcome
    jobo wrote: »

That is probably the most likely outcome

Perfect season for Federer to miss.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Can't wait for US Open to start in late August. Even if Federer isn't present, it'll be a great opportunity for the young guys to win a slam!
    Can't wait for US Open to start in late August. Even if Federer isn't present, it'll be a great opportunity for the young guys to win a slam!

I'd pick Theim to win. He's the only one of the upcoming "Next Gen" with the skill to take it to the Big 3.