"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

Comments

• edited July 2018 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Djokovic under pressure and one set down to our British boy Edmund !

Back already? ;)

No ,i said on the World Cup thread,that today was for England,unfortunately nothing has changed so it will be about a month more at least...i wouldnt leave u lot unless i had too,but i do. (still working on my hiatus project in the background,needs to be done).
    Welcome back @barryt007 don't be a stranger :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Another beautifully executed victory for Feds...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, he seems set for the final now, at the very least.

I would be very interested to see a Nadal Djokovic semifinal in the other half.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Feds makes it look so easy. It's like he's a dancer. Do you play, @Mendes4Lyfe ?
  • GBFGBF
    Maybe we should rename this thread to "The Fedex appreciation thread"
    He has had a dream draw so far. Anderson is the first top quality player he has faced so it will be a much harder challenge.
    Same for Nadal, very easy draw, did not think he would get this far. ND also doing well,

its like a time warp going back 10 years!
  • GBFGBF
    Maybe Raonic is a dark horse. He has done well in Wimbeldon in the past.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sad to see Feds gone
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Nadal v. Del Potro was special, two great competitors.
  • GBFGBF
    Is the Djoker now the favourite to win or is it Nadal? Anderson and Isner certainly have their chance, too since they are very tall and have a monster serve.
    GBF wrote: »
    Is the Djoker now the favourite to win or is it Nadal? Anderson and Isner certainly have their chance, too since they are very tall and have a monster serve.

I'd fancy Djoker
    Semi saw Feds defeat coming, his first week was way too easy, remarkable he had a match point in the 3rd set and let it slip. Anderson was fantastic, wonderful fighting spirit, 100% respect for him,
    Nadal doing so much better than I thought he would do on grass, did not see any of the match, I thought Del Po would have too much power.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    Semi saw Feds defeat coming, his first week was way too easy, remarkable he had a match point in the 3rd set and let it slip. Anderson was fantastic, wonderful fighting spirit, 100% respect for him,
    Nadal doing so much better than I thought he would do on grass, did not see any of the match, I thought Del Po would have too much power.

Agreed. Anderson was a fighter and much admiration for him.

I think I'll go with Nadal to win the championship?
    There are certain players on the tour that, even though they may not be blessed with Fed's gifts, give 100% on tour. Anderson is one of those players and it's great to see this rewarded. Unfortunately, this is lost on the strawberry guzling, Wimbledon fans (not tennis fans) who see this as a Fed defeat rather than an Aderson victory.

I would love to see him take the title.
    There are certain players on the tour that, even though they may not be blessed with Fed's gifts, give 100% on tour. Anderson is one of those players and it's great to see this rewarded. Unfortunately, this is lost on the strawberry guzling, Wimbledon fans (not tennis fans) who see this as a Fed defeat rather than an Aderson victory.

I would love to see him take the title.

You can call me whatever you want, but I'd rather watch art than fists. For the entertainment, it is a shame losing Federer.
    Sorry, not having a go at you. But it's not Anderson's fault that he does not have the remarkable talent that Fed has (Fed is a one off). Anderson has to make use of the more basic talents he has (yes, there is much brut force there) but maximising that talent should be respected and admired. His tennis is not as attractive as Feds - nobody's is, but we can still salute his efforts.

Isner has made similar advances and is much more than the serving machine that some portray him as.

In contrast, at the other end of the spectrum you have Kyrgios who IMHO is more talented that Anderson (indeed more talented than most in the top 100) but just wastes it.
  • GBFGBF
    Kyrgios is the #18 in the world. So not bad but I agree that he could be even higher. I was very surprised that he lost against Nishikori who is not so very good on grass. Isner does well too, however, he also had an relatively easy draw and struggeled immensely in the second round against Bemelmans. However, he is getting better and better. I guess both semi finals will be very close and each of the winner may require five sets.

As a German, I am quite happy that both, Kerber and Goerges made it into the semi finals. In fact, it is the first time since 1931 that two German ladies make it into the Wimbeldon semi finals. So there might be a 50% chance of winning. I twould be the first German win at Wimbeldon since Steffi Graf 1996.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Kyrgios is already in danger of becoming one of those players who is talked about for his talent rather than his GS wins. There are some players who would peak at 18 in the World and know that they had done everything they could to get there and there was nothing more they could do to get any higher. Kyrgios could and should be a top 5 player IMHO A dreadful waste of unique talent. I find him hard to watch at times. Something drastic needs to happen with him.
    I hope Novak wins now that Federer is out.
    ATP providing superb drama - the Isner/Anderson match followed by the Nadal/Novak match. Wonderful drama and skill.

Just hope they both have enough energy for a decent final. Anderson is my tip.
    Djokovic very impressive. Looks ready to dominate the tour again like in 2015.
  • GBFGBF
    Well, it was very close against Nadal. Happy that Kerber won against Williams. First German win in Wimbeldon since 1996.
    ND back to amazing form, very low unforced errors. I wonder what effect those 2 huge matchs had on Anderson. But avoiding matches like that and conserving energy is a key part in winning a GS.
    Shame he did not take any of those break points in the 3rd set.
    Congrats Novak!
    Wow our British gal Konta just kicked Serena Williams arse 6-1 6-0.

Serena's worst defeat...go girl !!
    Looking at the unforced errors from SR, I think I could have beaten her
    Looking at the unforced errors from SR, I think I could have beaten her

But that's not Konta's problem though,still had to beat her.
    Interesting to see Federer saying he is glad to go out of the US Open due to the extreme heat.

Must be a killer out there.
    Winbledon have decided to go for a tie break at 12-12 in the fifth set. Makes common sense but I will miss those mammoth matches.