"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,327
    Amazing achievement by Federer, one of the greatest sportsman of all time.
    There are rumours that he was so upset during the victory ceremony because he knows that it's his last year. It would not surprise me. He loves to play so much, I think he may find retirement one of his biggest challenges. Conners was similar in that he loved the game so much that he just kept playing (US Open semi finalist at 39!!) and found retirement very very hard. He was angry that his mind was still sharp but his body would not "play ball".

Glad that my kids can say "we saw Fed play live" when people are discussing the GOAT in 50 years time.
    A brilliant achievement for the Fed Express.
    He is so mentally strong during a match as well.
    Cilic threw away the first set due to nerves. A real shame, he has alwasy been fragile in that area.
  • GBFGBF
    Now there will soon be the important Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami where Federer has to defend his victories from last year. Then he will probably skip the entire clay season in order to be prepared for Wimbeldon in Summer.
    He was amazing during those 2 last year, playing really attacking tennis to keep the rallies short. With ND and AM still out of the picture (but are ranking points that importasnt to him?), Fed has a chance in these two, but , to be fair, I would think that Wimbledon surely would be his main target this year. The crowds would go mad if he could make it 21 GSs. Wimbledon loves Fed
    An eigth Wimbledon title? Well, he is the favorite
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Ninth.
    Ninth.

That's just insane!!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This is probably the best ever breakdown of Roger's incredible career with wonderful statistics and graphics. A website for the ages.

https://interactive.swissinfo.ch/2018_01_28_federer20/en.html#/en
    Roger Federer has won his 20th Grand Slam title.

DUoCs6UW0AA-o12.jpg

Incredible achievement and could not have happened to a nicer man. Congratulations Roger!!
    http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/ken-flach-2018-obituary

From a cough on the golf course to dead in a week! Just horrible. Flach and Seguso played wonderful, attacking, lightning fast doubles. Loved watching them at Wimbledon.

54? 54!!!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    That’s terrible. RIP :(
    So the French Open is starting on Sunday,no Andy Murray,who does everyone think will take the crown this year ?
  • GBFGBF
    Nadal or Zverev. Both are in good shape.
  • GBFGBF
    The women are much harder to predict. I guess it will be Halep, Kvitkova or Svitolina.
    Hoping for Goffin or Berdych, but I’d say chances are pretty slim.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 7,500
    It seems nobody can beat an inform Nadal on clay. It's his domain.
    jobo wrote: »

Agreed Jobo...when he is fully fit and on his game (as well as pulling his shorts out of his arse-crack before every serve ) then he is hard to stop.
    And,as you say,on clay ? the form he is in ? ..hard to see who can beat him.
  • GBFGBF
    barryt007 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

Agreed Jobo...when he is fully fit and on his game (as well as pulling his shorts out of his arse-crack before every serve ) then he is hard to stop.
    And,as you say,on clay ? the form he is in ? ..hard to see who can beat him.

Agrre. Bur yesterday he was not doing so well. Maybe he has to get into the tournament first...
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,083
    Zverev!!!!!!! Whoop!

Best young male player in over a decade. ;)
    Zverev!!!!!!! Whoop!

Best young male player in over a decade. ;)

Dimitrov can be pretty impressive as well I’d say.
    DP looked very impressive once he got going .
    Zverev and Djokovic playing today! :D
    Well, I tipped DP and he is in the Semi today versus Nadal. If he can use his massive power to push Nadal too far back, he does have a chance. (this is what Soderling used to do and he had a relatively good record versus Nadal)

Fingers crossed for a great match
  • GBFGBF
    hope so too. Otherwise, it will be to boring, even though Thiem has also already won twice against RN.
    Thiem obviously an amazing talent but, as a fan, I just dont warm to him.

DP wears his heart on his sleeve. Wonderful to watch
    Grass is here and Federer in action this week at Stuttgart, in the beginning of his preparations for Wimbledon.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Speaking to an Italian magazine this week, Nadal gave his controversial thoughts.

"It’s a comparison we shouldn’t even make,” the Majorca-born star said, when asked if female tennis players should be paid as much as their male counterparts.

“Female models earn more than male models and nobody says anything. Why? Because they have a larger following. In tennis too, who gathers a larger audience earns more.”

PS Queens Club is the first ATP event being stramed by Amazon. Yet another loss for the BBC. Poor Sue Barker
    The BBC are losing everything.

They will be left with Wimbledon and the boat race soon,that will be it,and im sure a big money offer for Wimbledon would be accepted by them.