"New Balls Please" : Tennis Discussion - NOW ON : WIMBLEDON 2019

Comments

It does make it a little bit fairer for the winner though,because,as we have seen before,they always lose the next match due to fatigue.
    Well, tie breaks are fun, aren't they? In many ways they can be a more nail biting way to finish a match.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,600
    I think they should have gone for the final to go "all the way" (the fatigue issue is not there) and there is no schedule to worry about.I dont think the final should be on a tie break. It's a lottery.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Andy Murray announced his retirement today.

He will try to keep playing until Wimbledon, but each tournament could be his last, he said in an emotional press conference at the Australian Open today.

Not surprised, sad news made sadder by the way he and the media handled things. So many articles about his come back with expectations far too high and only very recently has he toned down the expectations. He kept coming back to 250 and 500 events (implying he was ready) , got beat and repeated the patern.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Born into an era with three of the greatest (arguably the greatest) male tennis players, he still won three Grand Slams, two Olympic golds, a Davis Cup and an ATP title.

In any other era? Who knows. But he has been amazing when all is said and done.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Born into an era with three of the greatest (arguably the greatest) male tennis players, he still won three Grand Slams, two Olympic golds, a Davis Cup and an ATP title.

In any other era? Who knows. But he has been amazing when all is said and done.

Yep, and considering this he still has had a successful career. Sad it has to end through injury like this though.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Roger Federer is a set down already in his match.
    He hasn't been playing well lately.

EDIT : Lucky boy,the opponent got injured and slowed down,so he 's got through by 3 sets to 1.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    edited July 2019 Posts: 222
    Is it me or is Jo Konta a thing? I just love watching her. Out of nowhere she's rediscovered her form from 3 years ago. I hope she does well and in Bond terms she is GL. Heather Watson should just retire.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/fF9YPtrhW4PmeHaL7

Heather Watson is useless.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Heather Watson is useless.

She does great ads for sanitary wear though.
    She does indeed......period he he ;)
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,081
    I've been looking for a tennis thread for a while! The Australian Open 2020 has commenced and being a massive Federer fan I'm hoping he can clutch GS 21 this tournament. It's clear from the Wimbledon final in 2019 where he unfortunately forfeited 2x Championship Points against Novak that he still can win at 38 years of age. He was so close! Credit to Novak for that match, though. Unquestionably the best match I've ever watched with the Nadal v. Federer at the AO 2017 final being a close second.

I think it will be an interesting year of tennis. It's incredible how Roger, Nadal and Novak have dominated the sport for over two decades, but it appears that finally some of the labelled 'Next Gen' players are beginning to challenge them.

Who do we think will win the AO? Who do we want to win the AO?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    It's not surprising that I'm also a Federer fan. I don't think taht he will win but I hope that he can reach at least the quarter finals (better semifinals…). It is cool that the "Oldies" are still very good but it is important that (as you said) "the "next Gen" is ready to take over soon.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,690
    By beating John Millman at the Australian Open, Roger Federer becomes the first player, man or woman, to win 100 matches at two different majors in the Open era.
    By beating John Millman at the Australian Open, Roger Federer becomes the first player, man or woman, to win 100 matches at two different majors in the Open era.

Yes, the Australian Open and Wimbledon. I think that match will give him a lot of confidence as he moves deeper into the tournament.
    The Great Escape featuring Roger Federer. Anyone been keeping up with the AO?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Nadal eliminated by Thiem. 6-7 (3-7) 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-7 (6-8).

Thank god for that! Never warmed to his boring, machine like style.
    edited January 2020 Posts: 4,397
    Octopussy wrote: »

Despite liking tennis and the strong swiss players, I've only read the results so far. I really wanted to watch the summaries from the last few matches with Stan and Roger on TV...but my son displaced the remote control...didn't find it anymore.
    It's great that Federer made it to the semi-final but it will be very difficult for him now...I hope he can play at all.
    What would be your bet for the winner of the last four?
    Zverev?

Despite liking tennis and the strong swiss players, I've only read the results so far. I really wanted to watch the summaries from the last few matches with Stan and Roger on TV...but my son displaced the remote control...didn't find it anymore.
    It's great that Federer made it to the semi-final but it will be very difficult for him now...I hope he can play at all.
    What would be your bet for the winner of the last four?
    Zverev?

Theim destroyed Nadal as I knew he would. Zverev is playing great tennis, but I think his next match-up against Theim he will struggle as he lacks the versatility of the Austrian. Roger and Novak are about to step out on court and it's pretty clear who is the favourite to win, based upon Federer's previous match. However, I do believe (as I always do being a Roger fan) that he could potentially make this match competitive. Roger has shown that he has such a fighting spirit and even at 38 can dig himself out of extremely tough situations. That gives you serious belief. Novak is also going up against the crowd tonight as they will be heavily for Roger. I think if it ends up being a likely final between Theim and Novak, I actually think the Austrian will take it.
    jobo wrote: »

Thank god for that! Never warmed to his boring, machine like style.

I find Nadal/Novak quite arrogant. I do respect them immensely as players, though. I agree that their styles, particularly the latter, extremely boring. Roger will always be the GOAT as he has the most complete game in history.
    Theim will win the AO 2020 tomorrow evening.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Theim will win the AO 2020 tomorrow evening.

I hope so. Can't stand Djokovic (I'm a Feds fan too)
    Your prophecy for the semi-final winners became true. I hope you are also right with your bet on Thiem for the sunday's winner @Octopussy
    Theim should've had him, but unfortunately Novak won the AO for the 8th time, which is more then anyone in the Open era. He also becomes the first player to win a Grand Slam in 3 different generations. The way I see is Theim started to feel pressure being up 2-1 and with Novak calling a medical time out may have lost focus. There's no doubt in my mind Theim will be a multiple Grand Slam winner in future. It is simply amazing that Roger, Rafa and Novak have dominated the sport for such an extended period of time, well past what would be considered their golden years.
    It's funny how the AO has become Novak's signature GS, just as the French Open is Nadal's and Wimbledon Federer's.
    It's funny how the AO has become Novak's signature GS, just as the French Open is Nadal's and Wimbledon Federer's.

Yep. They all have their favourite surface. I think that Roger will always be considered the GOAT though as he has the most complete game and variety of GS wins, amongst many other factors.

Yep. They all have their favourite surface. I think that Roger will always be considered the GOAT though as he has the most complete game and variety of GS wins, amongst many other factors.

I think so to. I would almost regard it as an abomination if Rafa ends up with more Grand Slam titles, which unfortunately seems likely now since the latter has at least one French Open win per year guaranteed and Roger will be retiring, at least reasonably, soon.

I think so to. I would almost regard it as an abomination if Rafa ends up with more Grand Slam titles, which unfortunately seems likely now since the latter has at least one French Open win per year guaranteed and Roger will be retiring, at least reasonably, soon.

I’d say Nadal will match Federer, but I don’t think he will surpass as his ageing body will be too accident prone. I think there’s a chance he may not win the French this year. The AO proved that the younger players are finally starting to go deep in tournaments and potentially challenge the “Big 3” I’m future. I think Novak is the biggest threat to Federer's GS total, but it won’t be easy.