No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's probably another Speedmaster event (the watch on the top left is a Speedmaster). It's the 60th anniversary of that line and Omega have been doing a few events to commemorate it, including a 'Lost In Space' one earlier this year. They're probably getting bang for their buck by involving the 007 branding.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It won't be anything Bond 25 related, that's for sure. They've decided to take their time, and its a wise decision. At certain moments in the franchise history everyone involved has benefited from the extra year spent going back to the drawing board and cooking up a new direction for Bond to take going forward. Likely we've get some kind of announcement as and when they're ready, which in this moments seems to be the second half of 2018. It all a part of giving their next steps careful consideration and making Bond 25 the truly landmark film the franchise needs.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Yes, Bond reacted to the bad guy grabbing Camille's arm and her own reaction to that.

He also rightly suspected she could be against Greene and on his side. Proven correct on both counts.

With a secret organization, literally operating as a secret society, Bond's usefulness is to shake them up at very opportunity. That's why he announces himself at the opera, there's no luxury for waiting and following up over extended period. That's why he attacks Medrano's boat. He may not get another chance.

The boat? Throwing the anchor and line over the side apparently caught and stopped the propeller cold, creating an instant drag aft and downward that combined with the wind sheer topside to topple the craft end over end.

That's how I see it. I obviously like QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

I'm aware people invent solutions to these unfathomable moments, even if it does mean shunning the laws of physics. You could say it was done by Penn & Teller, but it still wouldn't change the fact it's, by and large, a poorly directed piece of action.

The opening car chase works because the freneticism is effective in selling the story - but even that gives way to several wider more sweeping shots that allow us to get a sense of geography (something massively important in delivering a successful action scene). The boat chase simply doesn't do this - - the only effective frames it pulls off are a couple of impact shots.

This scene is only there to service Forster's 'elements' motif. It's hastily cobbled together, sloppily shot and edited, and does nothing to progress or shape the story. They should be aiming to tick at least one of those boxes. Sadly most of the action in the film is a let down in this regard. I've heard it called a great action movie on here, which I can only fathom is because of the quantity not quality.

I don't think QoS is a bad movie at all, but given it's largely a procession of action scenes I'd expect them to be top notch. As it is I'd only really afford the opening chase the label 'great'.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    At then end of the day you have to say its just a shockingly badly put together sequence when you cant even fathom what is happening when you go through it frame by frame. Has anyone seen a script? Does it explain in there what was supposed to be happening?

No script, but at least here's a storyboard of the scene:

4398b556ed8035ae0bf203fd18037957.jpg

I cant make anything out on that .

Yup. Neither could the filmmakers.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    RE: The QoS boat chase - There's probably a missing shot lying on the cutting room floor. Bond threw the free hooked side of the line (The other side was affixed to the front of the boat) onto the inflatable boat and it got affixed to the bulging sides of the inflatable.

The driver of the inflatable was rocking the boat in order for it to get free from Bond's vehicle. I can only assume that his actions cause the inflatable to slide back, tightening the line and then it flipped forward due to the hook caught on the front end. It was poorly edited, as were many of the other action sequences here.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756

The boat? Throwing the anchor and line over the side apparently caught and stopped the propeller cold, creating an instant drag aft and downward that combined with the wind sheer topside to topple the craft end over end.

What on earth are you on about? Even in Haiti are companies allowed to get away with selling outboard motors that if they suddenly lose power for whatever reason result in the boat flipping 20 feet in the air? Wind shear? Its a boat not a plane.

At 2.27 the nose gets dragged downwards off the back of Bond's boat before flipping so your explanation which (I think) is that the rear gets dragged down thus lifting the nose which already elevated by being on top of Bond's boat gets caught by the wind is therefore disproved. You know a scene needs some tidying up if the only way to explain it is to start coming up with your own laws of physics.

The only way I used to rationalise it is that he hooks the rope onto the boat and then lobs the anchor over the side which catches on something underwater thus flipping the boat. But going over it frame by frame I see that I was completely wrong. There is no anchor.

2.21 -Bond hooks a rope onto the other boat.
    2.26 - The rope starts to be pulled from Bond's boat despite the villains boat still being in the same place? Why?
    2.27 - The villains boat flips which I can only assume mean the other end of the rope is attached to something stationary but we are never shown this so Christ knows. Maybe it is wind shear?

At then end of the day you have to say its just a shockingly badly put together sequence when you cant even fathom what is happening when you go through it frame by frame. Has anyone seen a script? Does it explain in there what was supposed to be happening?

The hook grapples the boat, forcing it downwards. The grapple must have been attached to Bond's boat, Bond would either have to speed up or the bad guys slow down, thus creating the tension to force the other boat downwards. Once the other boat had stopped, the grapple must have broken off Bond's boat.

I love QoS but this was sloppy.
  • RC7RC7

What on earth are you on about? Even in Haiti are companies allowed to get away with selling outboard motors that if they suddenly lose power for whatever reason result in the boat flipping 20 feet in the air? Wind shear? Its a boat not a plane.

At 2.27 the nose gets dragged downwards off the back of Bond's boat before flipping so your explanation which (I think) is that the rear gets dragged down thus lifting the nose which already elevated by being on top of Bond's boat gets caught by the wind is therefore disproved. You know a scene needs some tidying up if the only way to explain it is to start coming up with your own laws of physics.

The only way I used to rationalise it is that he hooks the rope onto the boat and then lobs the anchor over the side which catches on something underwater thus flipping the boat. But going over it frame by frame I see that I was completely wrong. There is no anchor.

2.21 -Bond hooks a rope onto the other boat.
    2.26 - The rope starts to be pulled from Bond's boat despite the villains boat still being in the same place? Why?
    2.27 - The villains boat flips which I can only assume mean the other end of the rope is attached to something stationary but we are never shown this so Christ knows. Maybe it is wind shear?

The hook grapples the boat, forcing it downwards. The grapple must have been attached to Bond's boat, Bond would either have to speed up or the bad guys slow down, thus creating the tension to force the other boat downwards. Once the other boat had stopped, the grapple must have broken off Bond's boat.

If the rest of the scene was awesome I think most people would give it a pass. As it is it's a glaring example of the general sloppiness of the scene.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    it's a new watch, and i quote "for 007".
    i think some announcement is coming soon
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,539
    it's a new watch, and i quote "for 007".
    i think some announcement is coming soon

OMEGA's or EON's??

Is the Commander coming??
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    RE: The QoS boat chase - There's probably a missing shot lying on the cutting room floor. Bond threw the free hooked side of the line (The other side was affixed to the front of the boat) onto the inflatable boat and it got affixed to the bulging sides of the inflatable.

The driver of the inflatable was rocking the boat in order for it to get free from Bond's vehicle. I can only assume that his actions cause the inflatable to slide back, tightening the line and then it flipped forward due to the hook caught on the front end. It was poorly edited, as were many of the other action sequences here.

As Partridge might have said 'Stop getting physics wrong!!'

Where's the opposite and equal reaction on Bond's boat? The force needed to throw that boat 20 feet into the air would rip the back off Bond's rickety boat if the other end of the rope was attached to it, thats if the rope didnt snap first.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,756
    In case you guys were curious here is the new "Commander" Seamaster from Omega: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/diver-300-m/commanders-watch/product/

Not sure what I make of it...
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

As Partridge might have said 'Stop getting physics wrong!!'

Where's the opposite and equal reaction on Bond's boat? The force needed to throw that boat 20 feet into the air would rip the back off Bond's rickety boat if the other end of the rope was attached to it, thats if the rope didnt snap first.
    Physics was never my strong suit. However, as I said earlier, I presume there's a clip missing. I would imagine that a combination of factors worked with perfect Bondian filmic timing to result in the flip (along with the rope not snapping). Those factors being:

a) the fact that the inflatable slid down the back (or side) of Bond's boat (not seen and perhaps the missing clip) was enough to start the front to tip forward and tighten the rope line
    b) the weight (downward force) of the chap on the front of the inflatable accelerated the tip once the slide began,
    c) the hook and suddenly tight extended rope line tugged the front as it tipped down, thereby exacerbating and further accelerating the process and causing it to become a flip,
    d) the relative acceleration of Bond's boat vs. the inflatable (whose motor had lifted off the water thereby rendering it slower) also moved things along.

At the end of the day, the boat flipping that high in the air was a cool shot, and that's pretty much all there probably is to it. Similar in that respect to Bond diving to catch a falling plane.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Although I'm quite a fan of QOS I'm not a fan of the segment of the film but it's more thrilling and dangerous save the PTS of any scene in SPECTRE.

That was the problem with Bond 24 is completely lacks any tension after the main credits.
    In case you guys were curious here is the new "Commander" Seamaster from Omega: https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/diver-300-m/commanders-watch/product/

I do. That "NATO" strap is ugly and would have been fit on a 10 dollar watch in the 70'ies. Pure and Simple
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Goodness, it's hideous!
    Not a fan. The 1995 original which they included for comparison looks so much better.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Although I'm quite a fan of QOS I'm not a fan of the segment of the film but it's more thrilling and dangerous save the PTS of any scene in SPECTRE.

That was the problem with Bond 24 is completely lacks any tension after the main credits.

I prefer QoS to SP ,one is #4 and the other is #12 ,but you didn't feel any tension when Bond was getting his arsed kicked against Hinx ?

I remember thinking ,this is CraigBond and he is being beaten in every area by pure brute force/ !!!

I still do ,whenever I see that scene,i think its brilliant.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's like Bond's watch in Spectre but instead of a bomb, fireworks explode from it. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    More of a novelty item. No self-respecting man would ever wear that.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117

Presume they intended to announce that Bond would be wearing it in the new film but weren't reckoning on EON's sloth.

It looks like something Austin Powers would wear.
    Got to love the marketing bumf. These guys sure can shovel it.

"The timepiece salutes the ensign colours of the British Royal Navy, with touches of white, blue and red found throughout the watch, creating a suave and stately look."

Suave and stately? Far from it.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,111
    Next you'll be calling Michelangelo "slowpoke". The Sistine Chapel ceiling took 4 years, that's about as long as Bond 25 should be. It's only a waste of time if they don't deliver.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It's like they thought, "What kind of watch would Captain America wear?"
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

I prefer QoS to SP ,one is #4 and the other is #12 ,but you didn't feel any tension when Bond was getting his arsed kicked against Hinx ?

I remember thinking ,this is CraigBond and he is being beaten in every area by pure brute force/ !!!

I still do ,whenever I see that scene,i think its brilliant.

By that point I've just lost complete faith in the film, the previous action sequence is just downright boring, can't say I was blown away by the Hinx fight when I watched it a 3rd time recently.

Also the gag for dispatching Hinx defuses all the tension, I was really looking forward to the fight between them two but it's nowhere in the same class as Bond and Grant in FRWL.

I just don't like SPECTRE at all.

SP is definitely in the lower registers for me, nearer DAF and I that is pretty much the nadir along with DAD, TWINE & TND.
    Next you'll be calling Michelangelo "slowpoke". The Sistine Chapel ceiling took 4 years, that's about as long as Bond 25 should be. It's only a waste of time if they don't deliver.

You're seriously trying to compare the Sistine Chapel to a Bond movie? Lol wow.
    Got to love the marketing bumf. These guys sure can shovel it.

"The timepiece salutes the ensign colours of the British Royal Navy, with touches of white, blue and red found throughout the watch, creating a suave and stately look."

Suave and stately? Far from it.

Agreed. It looks like something a flamboyant despot would wear. It's funny how vocal I've been with my displeasure of Omega and the rare occasion I post a pic of my watch, celebrating its goodness, Omega like clockwork (no pun intended) swiftly release a new model, reminding me just how much they p me off and how they insist on cheapening themselves as a brand.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Whats more depressing is how keen some people seem to be to embrace a 4 year gap. When it gets to 10 years between films will people still be backing EON and saying they need a rest?
    doubleoego wrote: »

No, I mention the Sistine Chapel to illustrate that a great work takes time. Bond 25 can be the Sistine Chapel of Bond movies, but if they don't make the necessary alterations it won't happen. The producers have to do some soul-searching, and in the past that has come about by other means.
  • RC7RC7
    What a godawful watch.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    What a godawful watch.

Hey, that watch took four years to make. I don't want to hear anybody questioning its greatness, m'kay?