Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    octofinger wrote: »
    OK, here's one:

Ken Adam did as much to define Bond early on as Connery did.
    That's not particularly controversial. I agree.

I'll add Barry to that too. Those three were instrumental in creating the Bond mystique. As they slowly disappeared from the frame, a little of what made Bond so special did too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Oh, I think Barry was more important than any of the actors.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I think Quantum of Solace is one of the best Bond films, and Another Way To Die is one of the best songs.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Ah good! Not so controversial as I'd expected. The lyrics are brilliant and when shown with the title sequence evokes 70's mens' adventure paperbacks. I love it.

I hear QoS compared negatively to the Bourne trilogy, but I frankly never found those movies interesting. They all kinda run together for me. Maybe why QoS stands out? That opening car chase with the car flipping off into the marble quarry is awesome. I actually think QoS feels the most like one of Fleming's novels, probably since the Connery era.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I concur.
    I like QOS myself but it is maybe the most divisive Bond movie in recent years, if not the most divisive. Whatever your opinion on it it'll be controversial for many.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's not as divisive as SP. That one starts some ugly battles.

I'd actually say QoS is more divisive. I like SP but overall I think fans at least have a more negative opinion about it. QoS is hated or loved in about equal measure.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Here's (potentially) two.

1. Having just watched it, I have to say Thunderball is one of the best Bonds. Even better than Goldfinger.

2. Diamonds Are Forever is the worst Bond film. Even worse than Die Another Day.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

1. Having just watched it, I have to say Thunderball is one of the best Bonds. Even better than Goldfinger.

And ground beef is better than steak.
    2. Diamonds Are Forever is the worst Bond film. Even worse than Die Another Day.

I agree that DAD is better than DAF, but DAF isn't the worst Bond movie IMO, though it is low on the list.
  • Here's (potentially) two.

Agreed on #2.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339

I agree with point 1 definitely,and point 2 as well,but DAF isn't the worst Bond film IMO.

DrNo wrote: »
    I think Quantum of Solace is one of the best Bond films, and Another Way To Die is one of the best songs.

QoS sits very happily at #4 on my film rankings list.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'd actually say QoS is more divisive. I like SP but overall I think fans at least have a more negative opinion about it. QoS is hated or loved in about equal measure.
    The calculations from the Bond Ranking thread suggest you are right. Both are divisive, but there is a slightly greater variation of opinion on QoS among members here.

As far as the general public goes, they both appear to be forgettable and mediocre, based on user data I've seen online.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I never hear anyone mention SPECTRE anymore outside of the Bond community. It's like it never even happened.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I never hear anyone mention SPECTRE anymore outside of the Bond community. It's like it never even happened.
    Which is rather ironic given the name. I've been trying to forget it too. I find the Craig era holds up better without its ham handed retcon. It has to date been my most watched Craig film ever (not out of pleasure mind you, but rather just out of a sort of continued morbid curiosity). I suspect that once B25 is released I may hardly revisit it again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    Which is rather ironic given the name. I've been trying to forget it too. I find the Craig era holds up better without its ham handed retcon. It has to date been my most watched Craig film ever (not out of pleasure mind you, but rather just out of a sort of continued morbid curiosity). I suspect that once B25 is released I may hardly revisit it again.

That suspicion may well be true of me too. At least Quantum is short, and with Skyfall they were at least taking a risk exploring a new idea, even if it doesn't really suit my tastes. But with SPECTRE it's like they had no ideas or inspiration when they sat down to write the script. They knew it was a follow up to Skyfall, and they were going to bring back SPECTRE and Blofeld. That all there is in terms of ideas, unless you count the step brother angle, but that's more aping the familial connection of Skyfall. Heavens save us if they try and continue with this same cast and crew again in 2019. Could you imagine?

That suspicion may well be true of me too. At least Quantum is short, and with Skyfall they were at least taking a risk exploring a new idea, even if it doesn't really suit my tastes. But with SPECTRE it's like they had no ideas or inspiration when they sat down to write the script. They knew it was a follow up to Skyfall, and they were going to bring back SPECTRE and Blofeld. That all there is in terms of ideas, unless you count the step brother angle, but that's more aping the familial connection of Skyfall. Heavens save us if they try and continue with this same cast and crew again in 2019. Could you imagine?
    Don't worry, they won't. This angle is done (delivered with the same emphasis Craig used in the interrogation room in SF).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I haven't watched Spectre in months. The novelty and nostalgia of a new Bond film wore off and now I find it kinda meh when I think about it. It happened with DAD as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I guess my controversial opinion, as recently explained in another thread, is that

A) SP, for me, is the second best of Craig's Bonds, behind CR, leaving the universally worshipped SF far behind it.

B) Newman's score for SP is not just good but great.

There, I said it.
    What have you been sniffing,DD ?!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    What next from Darth? 'The Lord Jesus Christ is my saviour'?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

The calculations from the Bond Ranking thread suggest you are right. Both are divisive, but there is a slightly greater variation of opinion on QoS among members here.

As far as the general public goes, they both appear to be forgettable and mediocre, based on user data I've seen online.

As I said two pages before (but then everybody was still rambling about the FYEO pre-titles)

Quantum of Solace is the most Flemingesque James Bond film bar for the close adaptations TB,OHMSS, FRWL and DN.

Fleming, in his writing, takes great efford to transfer Bond's state of mind to the reader. QoS does so by making things that are chaotic for Bond chaotic for the viewer. It's a take on the films we haven't had before, so it was confusing, but it's very much in the line of Fleming's writing. Fleming also was very descriptive of the surroundings. QoS is the same. We have panning shots of the desolate desert, we see civillians craving for water. We see a stunning, very visual opera scene. Never before did we see so much atmosphere in a villain's meeting. Above all Bond stays loyal to his country and the job at hand. He doubts (end of the CR book, QoS bar scene with Felix) in a cynical way the job at some points, but he gets his act together quick enough. QoS goes by, just as a Fleming novel, in a blink of an eye, leaving you with a gripping adventure that sometimes is hard to follow, full of excitement, adrenaline, but also human limits and doubt. Forster should be hailed as one of the greatest modern directors of Bond!

And concearning the general public @bondjames, as they've forgotten to appreciate the new UNCLE movie I think they can be discarded as idiots ;-)
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @CommanderRoss, given my profound disappointment with the UNCLE film, I might sadly have to be classed with the idiots too.

I completely agree on your assessment of QoS, but don't give it the same level of credit that you do, because such 'disorientation', 'chaotic state of mind' , 'need for closure' and 'protagonist's point of view' was brilliantly showcased 3 years prior in the groundbreaking The Bourne Supremacy. I know there are some here who dismiss the influence of that film, but its impact on QoS was significant (and I'm not just referring to the shaky cam, although that is the most obvious element).

Forster just took that approach (the so called 'speeding bullet' by his own admission) and embedded it in the glamorous Bondian locales and vistas.

Irrespective, it is a unique and welcome addition to the Bond oeuvre.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I agree with @DarthDimi , SP is also my second favourite Craig Bond.

Though I must admit that even as my #2 Craig Bond it fails to get into my upper half.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @bondjames well let's just overlook the UNCLE part then, shall we? ;-)
    I wouldn't discard the Bourne influence, as Bond has always been influenced by contemporary films. Thing with Bourne is, the books are very much inspired by Bond. In a way, QoS was just inspired by a new sort of storytelling, based on it's own legacy. Perhaps we should look at it in the way Terence Young directed the Bond-films. His directing wasn't unique in the way of finding new tricks to tell the story, it was unique in the way he executed the storytelling. I think the same goes for Forster. No, the techniques weren't new, but the way it was put together was very much in Fleming's spirit. Just as Young's was. And still with his own 'signature'. I think, personally, that's exactly what a Bond-director should do. That's why I wouldn't want a Guy Richie Bond-film. He'll press too much of his own signature on it. I loved it in UNCLE, I didn't like it so much in Arthur. It's supposed to help the storytelling, not be a gimmick. Same goes for Spielberg, i.e.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    @bondjames well let's just overlook the UNCLE part then, shall we? ;-)
    I wouldn't discard the Bourne influence, as Bond has always been influenced by contemporary films. Thing with Bourne is, the books are very much inspired by Bond. In a way, QoS was just inspired by a new sort of storytelling, based on it's own legacy. Perhaps we should look at it in the way Terence Young directed the Bond-films. His directing wasn't unique in the way of finding new tricks to tell the story, it was unique in the way he executed the storytelling. I think the same goes for Forster. No, the techniques weren't new, but the way it was put together was very much in Fleming's spirit. Just as Young's was. And still with his own 'signature'. I think, personally, that's exactly what a Bond-director should do. That's why I wouldn't want a Guy Richie Bond-film. He'll press too much of his own signature on it. I loved it in UNCLE, I didn't like it so much in Arthur. It's supposed to help the storytelling, not be a gimmick. Same goes for Spielberg, i.e.

Although my allegiance is to Bond, I clearly see the debts that QoS owes to Bourne: the editing, the terse dialogue, the tough fight in Haiti, and yes, even the close in Russia that is almost certainly inspired by the end of The Bourne Supremacy.

Still, I think Forster is very good with actors, and QoS shined in the quieter scenes.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I guess my controversial opinion, as recently explained in another thread, is that

A) SP, for me, is the second best of Craig's Bonds, behind CR, leaving the universally worshipped SF far behind it.

B) Newman's score for SP is not just good but great.

There, I said it.

I'm not sure I agree but I prefer watching SP to SF. I wonder of your reasons though.

And also the people feel more strongly about QoS than SP, positively or negatively. That's my perception anyway.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My controversial opinion(s)-- if DC is truly gone, I will sincerely miss him. I think he brought 007 back down to earth, and, despite the last script, he was always excellent, and sometime even sublime. But that's no surprise-- I respected the other Bonds, but, until DC, I only loved one: SC.

And yes, DC has parked his Aston right behind SC's. Sometimes beside. And there are times in his tenure, he definitely parked his car before Connery's.

If DC is gone; I would hate to be Babs... most up and coming actors grow beards to show they're "men". DC, even in his weakest outing, just IS a man.

In today's world, this will be a hard thing to replace.
    peter wrote: »
    My controversial opinion(s)-- if DC is truly gone, I will sincerely miss him. I think he brought 007 back down to earth, and, despite the last script, he was always excellent, and sometime even sublime. But that's no surprise-- I respected the other Bonds, but, until DC, I only loved one: SC.

And yes, DC has parked his Aston right behind SC's. Sometimes beside. And there are times in his tenure, he definitely parked his car before Connery's.

If DC is gone; I would hate to be Babs... most up and coming actors grow beards to show they're "men". DC, even in his weakest outing, just IS a man.

Controversial??

- "Not even remotely."
  • RC7RC7
    peter wrote: »

DC hasn't gone.