Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Controversial? The 007 theme is used best in DAF.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree. That arrangement is pretty awesome. It makes watching the Bluray so much more fun.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Thanks for sharing those match-ups, @Murdock. I definitely enjoyed them, and they played out like an evolution from a silent film type presentation to classic Bond to Modern Bond. Pretty cool.
    Thank you @RichardTheBruce, I'm glad you enjoyed them. You can see the rest of My Spectre edits and other Bond film edits here. :)

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/6553/the-james-bond-rescore-thread#latest
    Big Shot indeed. ;)
    denny-crane.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    He seems a bit disengaged during periods of FYEO (the only film where I feel this way about his Bond performance), whereas in OP he's 100% present. I'm not sure if that creates the perception of relative youth in the latter film. In terms of his physical appearance, I think he looks quite a bit younger and fitter in FYEO, but the Cortina winter air seemed to bring out the wrinkles (especially in his first meeting with Ferrara).

I think Roger Moore was less comfortable overall with the approach of FYEO and it shows. It's also a movie where Bond "feels" older: he's seen as a widower, he's a mentor to Melina, a protector to Bibbi, etc.

But he's better in he part!
    Other controversial: Moore was the most believable widower. Connery did poorly (due to the script of DAF) and I don't think Lazenby would have pulled it as well as Moore in either TSWLM and FYEO.
    Moore was excellent in both instances when contemplating Tracy. Better than Dalton imho.

People often forget that Moore could do serious and emotional and very well. Even in his lighter moments I often see the ghost of Tracy.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Other controversial: Moore was the most believable widower. Connery did poorly (due to the script of DAF) and I don't think Lazenby would have pulled it as well as Moore in either TSWLM and FYEO.
    Moore was excellent in both instances when contemplating Tracy. Better than Dalton imho.

People often forget that Moore could do serious and emotional and very well. Even in his lighter moments I often see the ghost of Tracy.

Yes, that Tarzan cry is rife with pathos.

Well I said often not all the time.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Well I said often not all the time.

I know, just yanking your chain. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    My favorite version of the 007 theme isn't even from the movies. There's a suite John Barry did in 1972. You can hear it in this video.

I hadn't seen this scene since the cinema, but watching it's the second time it really confirms what I thought about it. A totally pointless and even stupid action scene. Oh, and let's not forget it's BORING, downright embarrassing for this, the greatest of all action franchises.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I couldn't agree more @noSolaceleft. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing in the theatre. The only other time I've felt this way was when I watched TWINE for the first time (caviar factory and ski sequence in particular).

Clueless. All that money and they still couldn't come up with something original or intelligent.

Time for a complete reset imho because this crew is finished creatively.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's definitely my least favorite in the film. It also made me think based on the events leading up and Craig didn't want to ski, what would have been better?
    Probably would have been hard for Craig to ski since he broke his leg which is probably why he didn't want to do it.
    Probably would have been hard for Craig to ski since he broke his leg which is probably why he didn't want to do it.

Wasn't it the plane scene where he got his injury? Either way I doubt they could have done such a technically huge sequence on the fly. I think Craig had vetoed the ski scene a while before production started.

Wasn't it the plane scene where he got his injury? Either way I doubt they could have done such a technically huge sequence on the fly. I think Craig had vetoed the ski scene a while before production started.

I thought he broke his leg during the Train Fight. I don't really know exactly. With Mendes I don't think we would have gotten a great Ski Chase anyway. Besides, how can you top OHMSS's? Even if we had gotten one I think people would have been disappointed by it no matter what.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He blew out his knee in the train fight; he didn't want a ski scene since he can't ski
    jake24 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    Here is a controversial one:

The score of TSWLM is the worst in the series history! It sounds considerably more dated than Conti's or even Norman's scores.
    Wholeheartedly disagree, mate. Both Hamlisch and Conti made it a point to keep their respective scores current. The difference is that the former brought undeniable class during a time where Barry was absent. The latter composed a score that borders on ear-rape. Totally spoils the film for me.

It is the complete opposite for me
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

The score of TSWLM is the worst in the series history! It sounds considerably more dated than Conti's or even Norman's scores.
    Wholeheartedly disagree, mate. Both Hamlisch and Conti made it a point to keep their respective scores current. The difference is that the former brought undeniable class during a time where Barry was absent. The latter composed a score that borders on ear-rape. Totally spoils the film for me.

Each to his own. Was FYEO one of your first Bond films? Nostalgia can be a huge factor of one's enjoyment.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    My favorite version of the 007 theme isn't even from the movies. There's a suite John Barry did in 1972. You can hear it in this video.

I hadn't seen this scene since the cinema, but watching it's the second time it really confirms what I thought about it. A totally pointless and even stupid action scene. Oh, and let's not forget it's BORING, downright embarrassing for this, the greatest of all action franchises.

Anyone who thinks Gregg Wilson is a better choice to run the franchise than Babs needs to watch this chase on a loop.

Each to his own. Was FYEO one of your first Bond films? Nostalgia can be a huge factor of one's enjoyment.

No. I was born twelve years after it's release. As a kid my first Bond films where the Brosnans and LALD. Neither of those are my favorites today... I'd be tempted to ask you the same question regarding TSWLM? ;)

And the point here is not my relation to FYEO, but how horrible I think the music in Spy is. I absolutely detest those disco beats and synthesized sounds in the ski chase for instance. It makes me cringe...
    The only music I can't stand in either film is the disco track during the Citroen chase, which reappears during the ski sequence (Drive in the Country, I think it's called). It sounds to me like Conti trying to one up Hamlisch's Bond 77 but without the class. That and Sheena's wailing on the title track (recently surpassed only by Smith).

I quite enjoy the rest of both soundtracks.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The 2nd unit were shooting the plane-sequence when Craig got his injury. That he didn't want to ski is utter bollocks.
    The closest we ever got to a ski-sequence was in one of the drafts when Bond rode a snowmobile.

I am in minority in this'll but I think that Newman's music lifts the entire plane-sequence and the Rome chase.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    The only music I can't stand in either film is the disco track during the Citroen chase, which reappears during the ski sequence (Drive in the Country, I think it's called). It sounds to me like Conti trying to one up Hamlisch's Bond 77 but without the class. That and Sheena's wailing on the title track (recently surpassed only by Smith).

I quite enjoy the rest of both soundtracks.

That's my favourite one :D I always like to dance along to it when I watch the film.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I love the ski chase in FYEO but that upbeat Conti score just dampens it. Nothing about it screams Bond to me.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I like the bit when Bond goes up the elevator to the ski jump. That's quite suspenseful, with a bit of plink plonk piano action for good measure. The action score referenced above is very dated though. It may be good to get the hips swiveling to, but I agree that it lacks the Bondian touch.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    'A Drive in the Country' is one of my favourite pieces of Bond music! Love the way it starts with that Spanish type theme, then dynamic guitar and then incorporates the Bond theme along the way.

I really love Conti's score.

It's Michael Kamen's dull uninspired music for LTK that really grinds my gears!
    you see I like the Kamen score.
    I personally really disliked Kamen's score in the past too. These days, like with the film, I've grown to love it. Lethal Weapon/Die Hard meets James Bond.
    It definitely has cues from Die Hard/Lethal Weapon but I find it works quite well. I particularly like the romantic cue.