Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

I like how Moore wears his suit in FYEO:

By contrast I get what they were going for in TLD but I couldn't help it gave him more a schoolteacher look.
    None of my schoolteachers ever dressed that well. Dalton looked superb in that suit and he also lookd great in the suit he wore, sans tie, when he confronts Pushkin in the hotel room.
    But best of all was the tux with velcro lapels, which he wore in both his movies. Very cool.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    He looked his best in the tux at the fair and the clothes he wore when they were riding in Vienna. And yes, his outfit in the Pushkin scene was great too.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Against all the other actors I think Dalton looks the least impressive in his suits (bar perhaps late Connery).

I get though that they were going for a more casual look, but I just don't think that looks as impressive on camera.

Nothing has bettered Connery of FRWL/GF or Laz suit-wise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Random, but Dalton's "Surprise me" line to Q always makes me think of M's "Impress me" in QoS.
    Broccoli is quoted at the time that he thought Lazenbys clothes looked like "they came off the wrong peg!"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I always thought Lazenby looked superb in his suits. He even pulled of that light linen number with the similarly coloured shoes, which is saying something.

Dalton looked pretty sloppy imho, but he had the misfortune of being Bond during the shoulder pad era. Unfortunate. I'm sure he could have pulled of a properly tailored suit, had they given him one to wear.
  • Lazenby looked badass in that kilt. He even looked good in that all-blue ski suit with giant white goggles and a ski cap with a wobbly pom on top. He just had a well-built figure and carried himself with such confidence and prowess that he could literally pull off anything. The bad clothes looked good on him, and the good clothes looked damned good.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree, Lazenby did look good.

Here's another controversial opinion... and this will definitely get a rise (no rotten egg or tomato throwing): I was just listening to the YOLT soundtrack. I adore it. But... when the 007/Little Nellie track came on... I realized... that this... my...

... least favourite piece of Barry music. Ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, let the kicking begin.
  • peter wrote: »
    I agree, Lazenby did look good.

Here's another controversial opinion... and this will definitely get a rise (no rotten egg or tomato throwing): I was just listening to the YOLT soundtrack. I adore it. But... when the 007/Little Nellie track came on... I realized... that this... my...

... least favourite piece of Barry music. Ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, let the kicking begin.

I am with you on the 007 theme, and yes we are going to get our butts kicked for it. At least we're in it together. I actually like how Barry developed the 007 theme over time, my favorite rendition of it appearing during the Moonraker boat chase. But I honestly just have never liked the theme. FRWL, YOLT, DAF, MR. I don't like the melody and the theme just doesn't say Bond to me.
    I can't believe what I've just read. I had to do a double take actually.

My favourite iteration is in TB and I'm waiting for it to make a return, although it's unlikely without Barry's estate approving it probably.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I can't believe what I've just read. I had to do a double take actually.

My favourite iteration is in TB and I'm waiting for it to make a return, although it's unlikely without Barry's estate approving it probably.

Yes, I'd forgotten to mention TB. My least favorite part of that otherwise stellar score.

I'll be happy never to hear the theme return. Controversial? Indeed! But I feel strongly about my Bond music.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, lets rope arms and stand strong. We got lucky with the first one, at least @bondjames is a gentlemen...!
    Maybe controversial, I don't know: the PTS of FYEO sort of works in the context of the movie, as it also illustrates the departure from the old extravagant fantasy Bond to more grounded one.
  • peter wrote: »
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, lets rope arms and stand strong. We got lucky with the first one, at least @bondjames is a gentlemen...!

Very true. I am curious if there is anyone else out there who doesn't like the theme, however, since it seems to be pretty unanimously praised (and was obviously well liked by Barry and the producers as it featured across five films).
    Aren't both you guys Arnold fans as well? This adds insult to injury! Truly shocking!
    Other controversial: Moore was the most believable widower. Connery did poorly (due to the script of DAF) and I don't think Lazenby would have pulled it as well as Moore in either TSWLM and FYEO.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Other controversial: Moore was the most believable widower. Connery did poorly (due to the script of DAF) and I don't think Lazenby would have pulled it as well as Moore in either TSWLM and FYEO.
    Moore was excellent in both instances when contemplating Tracy. Better than Dalton imho.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Aren't both you guys Arnold fans as well? This adds insult to injury! Truly shocking!

LOL. There is very little of Barry that I dislike. The 007 theme happens to fall into that very small category.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I think I'd agree with this too, actually. I've never had a problem with Dalton's or Brosnan's reactions on the matter, but Moore's response to Anya is particularly good.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Ludovico -- yes!! Moore is the best widower...!

@bondjames, I DO like Arnold, but, he doesn't hold a candle to Barry, not by a country mile, not by a country mile to the power of a million... I just can't stand.... the 007 theme...
    I like the 007 Theme, but I have always thought it sounded very dated. I can understand someone not liking it.
    Here is a controversial one:

The score of TSWLM is the worst in the series history! It sounds considerably more dated than Conti's or even Norman's scores.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,588
    jobo wrote: »

The score of TSWLM is the worst in the series history! It sounds considerably more dated than Conti's or even Norman's scores.
    Wholeheartedly disagree, mate. Both Hamlisch and Conti made it a point to keep their respective scores current. The difference is that the former brought undeniable class during a time where Barry was absent. The latter composed a score that borders on ear-rape. Totally spoils the film for me.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Milovy wrote: »
    I like the 007 Theme, but I have always thought it sounded very dated. I can understand someone not liking it.

The only time that Barry didn't need to use it was in MR imho. I watched that film after a long hiatus and it felt kind of strange to listen to it outside of Connery's films, since I heavily associate them with one another.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    jake24 wrote: »

Wholeheartedly disagree, mate. Both Hamlisch and Conti made it a point to keep their respective scores current. The difference is that the former brought undeniable class during a time where Barry was absent. The latter composed a score that borders on ear-rape. Totally spoils the film for me.

Contis score ruins FYEO for me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

Contis score ruins FYEO for me.
    You and me both.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My favorite version of the 007 theme isn't even from the movies. There's a suite John Barry did in 1972. You can hear it in this video.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A great arrangement of Bond Theme and 007 Theme, I love 'em both.

And not fitting the film proper exactly, but fun to watch matched to the great SPECTRE action sequence.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes the plane chase was the hardest action scene in Spectre to put new music too actually. I've rescored it 4 times in total. Here's the other versions if you're interested.

(Music from 007 Everything or Nothing.)

(Music from Thunderball.)

(Music from The World is Not Enough.)