Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

peter wrote: »
    My controversial opinion(s)-- if DC is truly gone, I will sincerely miss him. I think he brought 007 back down to earth, and, despite the last script, he was always excellent, and sometime even sublime. But that's no surprise-- I respected the other Bonds, but, until DC, I only loved one: SC.

And yes, DC has parked his Aston right behind SC's. Sometimes beside. And there are times in his tenure, he definitely parked his car before Connery's.

If DC is gone; I would hate to be Babs... most up and coming actors grow beards to show they're "men". DC, even in his weakest outing, just IS a man.

In today's world, this will be a hard thing to replace.

I agree a lot with what you said. Especially about the beards.
    ... most up and coming actors grow beards to show they're "men".

As SF has shown he couldn't grow one even if his life would depend on it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    My controversial opinion(s)-- if DC is truly gone, I will sincerely miss him. I think he brought 007 back down to earth, and, despite the last script, he was always excellent, and sometime even sublime. But that's no surprise-- I respected the other Bonds, but, until DC, I only loved one: SC.

And yes, DC has parked his Aston right behind SC's. Sometimes beside. And there are times in his tenure, he definitely parked his car before Connery's.

If DC is gone; I would hate to be Babs... most up and coming actors grow beards to show they're "men". DC, even in his weakest outing, just IS a man.

In today's world, this will be a hard thing to replace.

DC hasn't gone.

Do you know for a fact that he hasn't? I think we've had this discussion before, and it's largely semantic: I'm aware that Craig is still 'the face' of Bond and its sponsors. I'm not too concerned about that. What I'm concerned about it whether he'll be in the next movie.
    @octofinger Until there's any info for the contrary it's safe to say that Daniel Craig is Bond.

My controversial comment: it always irked me that Bond drinks tea in TMWTGG.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The best Bond girl of the 1970s was Solitaire.
    The best Bond girl of the 1970s was Solitaire.

Is this really controversial?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    She's not my favourite although I'm a big fan.

XXX for me, followed closely by "A woman ?!".

I like Goodnight and Anders too actually. All the 70's girls were cool to me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Let's see how popular this woman is. Controversial opinion: Holly Goodhead only has a good head. She's the blandest, boring and useless of the seventies Bondgirls.
    Let's see how popular this woman is. Controversial opinion: Holly Goodhead only has a good head.
    Are you sure you don't mean 'gives' rather than 'has' @CommanderRoss? ;)
    She's the blandest, boring and useless of the seventies Bondgirls.
    For me that's easily "Tiffany my dear". Only useful for showing some cheek.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ludovico wrote: »
    @octofinger Until there's any info for the contrary it's safe to say that Daniel Craig is Bond.

My controversial comment: it always irked me that Bond drinks tea in TMWTGG.

Good call @Ludovico -- Bond can't stand tea! Nice catch!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @bondjames I'd say that only if I actually had the perspective of experiencing it in the flesh, which I am afraid to say, is not the Tiffany.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    bondjames wrote: »
    Let's see how popular this woman is. Controversial opinion: Holly Goodhead only has a good head.
    Are you sure you don't mean 'gives' rather than 'has' @CommanderRoss? ;)
    She's the blandest, boring and useless of the seventies Bondgirls.
    For me that's easily "Tiffany my dear". Only useful for showing some cheek.

I agree, she's really annoying at times.

"Blow up your pants"

:(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My fav 70s Bond girl is Mary Goodnight.
    1 Mary
    2 Solitaire
    3 Anya
    4 Tiffany
    5 Head
    Tiffany Case for me.
    @Birdleson How is Goodnight (character) - in any imaginable sense - strong? Heck, she even admits it herself.. "I'm weak". Her role is the textbook definition of what every new Bond girl actress avoids.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Strong in that I really enjoy everything about the character. I'm not into the tough, savvy Bond chicks.

Well I thought you were talking about her strength as a character - which is something entirely different.
    Goodnight is tough and a survivor. She jumps into it despite her shortcomings.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    She's an irritant.
    She would fit in here, then.
    Goodnight should be put down...preferably on all fours.
    We have special places for people like Goodnight...and Kara.
    tumblr_mdg7jsO7ed1r1ult6o1_500.gif
    Strong in that I really enjoy everything about the character. I'm not into the tough, savvy Bond chicks.
    I like her character too. I'm a bit more picky when it comes to the tough ones. Not a fan of Pam but don't mind Holly due to the her smarts.
    Goodnight is tough and a survivor. She jumps into it despite her shortcomings.
    Agreed. She's loyal too, and I personally respect that attribute. Charismatic as well.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm rather fond of Goodnight and Kara(my favorite good Bond girl). For that matter, I have a lot of affection for the ill-fated bad Bond girl SPECTRE No. 11 whose grisly end you include here.
    Murdock wrote: »

Oh well said ,well said !!!!!!!!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I love all of the '70s Main Bond Girls except for Holly Goodhead. Never cared for her.

I'm rather fond of all the '70s Main Bond girls including Holly. I'd rank them in this order:

001) Holly(my favorite female agent in the series)
    002) Solitaire(mostly because she's portrayed by Jane Seymour)
    003) Tiffany(the brassiest and sassiest Bond girl of them all)
    004) Goodnight(the Bond series' homage to Dean Martin's Matt Helm girls played by Sharon Tate RIP and Stella Stevens)
    005) Triple X(good I just like the other 4 more)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I guess my controversial opinion, as recently explained in another thread, is that

A) SP, for me, is the second best of Craig's Bonds, behind CR, leaving the universally worshipped SF far behind it.

B) Newman's score for SP is not just good but great.

There, I said it.

I'm not sure I agree but I prefer watching SP to SF. I wonder of your reasons though.

@Ludovico
    SP, to me at least, feels more like a Bond film than SF. Also, and I know this is a weak and highly subjective argument, I like the reveal of Spectre as the sinister cabal behind Quantum. It's more or less what I had been dreaming about between '08 and '15. Furthermore, SF's theme about Bond being possibly too old for the job, especially after sustaining his injuries, comes far too fast in the Craig era. He was just beginning in CR and QOS, why suggest that he might be finished so soon? The climax, while very dramatic and well-made, is based on the fact that Bond has to save 'M' from Silva and therefore takes her to his old house. I neither like it very much when 'M' is so personally involved in a Bond adventure (TWINE, anyone?) nor when we dig too deeply into Bond's past. Don't get me wrong, I have a good time with SF, but SP manages to get me more involved.

The "l'Americain" and train stuff in SP, for example, beats anything in SF for me. Léa Sédoux, Newman's music when Bond is drunk on the floor or when Madeline walks over to him in that amazing dress, that's the kind of things I enjoy very much. Gives me that sweaty, half-dreamy sensation I also state as a reason for liking Michael Mann's BLACKHAT. I understand it's not the majority vote and I don't mind. ;-) That's also why a confession in this thread seems proper. :)
    @DarthDimi I have other reasons to be indulgent towards SP. I had been dreaming of a return of SPECTRE, or at least a pseudo-SPECTRE (i.e. a recurring adversary) since Brosnan was announced actually. Watching GE for the first time I was kind of hoping Trevelyan would turn around near the end and say something like: "You've got it wrong James. Janus has two heads, I am merely one of them. There is another, my mentor, who will complete the work." And then setting up the villain for the next movie. So anyway, I was enthusiastic when I saw CR returning to form and QOS carrying on the idea of a recurring adversary (which let's not forget dates back to Fleming with SMERSH). And it was always obvious to me that they came up with Quantum only because SPECTRE and Blofeld were at the time unavailable due to legal reasons. So it made sense that they reintroduced Blofeld at the earliest opportunity. Sure, I would have rather had a much more Flemingesque Blofeld and that they ditch the foster brother angle, but hey, Fleming's Blofeld never dressed as a woman either. And Waltz was suitably creepy and amoral.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Very controversial opinion: David Arnold is as good as John Barry when it comes to Bond music, and is essentially his modern day continuation.
    I agree.