Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Personally, I very much dislike the John Wayne pose he's taking in SF and SP as well

But you love Craig so much?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I liked the SF pose and thought it was his best gunbarrel. He just walked a bit too slowly and the gunbarrel aesthetics weren't very good. And of course it was at the end.

The SP one has him flaunting his gun about as he walks. The QoS one had him running so fast I thought there was a toilet to the left of the gunbarrel. CR's interesting but again I didn't like the gunbarrel design, and I hated the blood flow.

Speaking of gunbarrels, this might be a bit controversial — I actually really like Sean Connery's gunbarrel. It looks weird and sloppy but for some reason I like his final stance, and I like it for the fact that it actually looks like he's taken by surprise, then turns and shoots. As opposed to walking to the centre with the intent of turning and shooting.

I like Connery's too. You're not alone ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I liked the SF pose and thought it was his best gunbarrel. He just walked a bit too slowly and the gunbarrel aesthetics weren't very good. And of course it was at the end.

The SP one has him flaunting his gun about as he walks. The QoS one had him running so fast I thought there was a toilet to the left of the gunbarrel. CR's interesting but again I didn't like the gunbarrel design, and I hated the blood flow.

Speaking of gunbarrels, this might be a bit controversial — I actually really like Sean Connery's gunbarrel. It looks weird and sloppy but for some reason I like his final stance, and I like it for the fact that it actually looks like he's taken by surprise, then turns and shoots. As opposed to walking to the centre with the intent of turning and shooting.

Connery's final stance is appalling. At the end he's wobbling like Phillipe Petit trying to get over to the North tower in a high wind.

I'm no fan of Daniel's pose but at least he's rock solid rather than looking like a fat lass trying to walk in 6 inch stilettos after a night on the lash.

But, of course, Sean has the classic design, Barry music and correct placement and these things are so vital its enough to elevate his over any of DC's.
  • RC7RC7

Connery's final stance is appalling. At the end he's wobbling like Phillipe Petit trying to get over to the North tower in a high wind.

I'm no fan of Daniel's pose but at least he's rock solid rather than looking like a fat lass trying to walk in 6 inch stilettos after a night on the lash.

But, of course, Sean has the classic design, Barry music and correct placement and these things are so vital it enough to elevate his over any of DC's.

Lovely stuff. Shoe-horning Phillipe Petite into a gunbarrel conversation is poetic. And people say you're all Fritzl and Huntley.
    RC7 wrote: »

But, of course, Sean has the classic design, Barry music and correct placement and these things are so vital it enough to elevate his over any of DC's.

Lovely stuff. Shoe-horning Phillipe Petite into a gunbarrel conversation is poetic. And people say you're all Fritzl and Huntley.

Sadly there are occasional situations where a Fritzl analogy isn't apposite. Believe me I would never go off piste like that if I didn't have to.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The dedication you have, to a quite dated Fritzl reference, is quite commendable old boy.
  • RC7RC7
    royale65 wrote: »
    The dedication you have, to a quite dated Fritzl reference, is quite commendable old boy.

He's always ripe for the picking.

The Tim Henman of infamous deviants. Never went all the way and finished anyone off, but he made people suffer year in, year out.
    Personally, I very much dislike the John Wayne pose he's taking in SF and SP as well

But you love Craig so much?

As I said, I very much prefer the one in QoS. Just like I prefer many things in it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    An interesting analogy, I'll give you that.
    It's his effort you have to admire. Loads of people are deviants but building a soundproofed rape bunker under the nose of your wife really has to be applauded.
  • RC7RC7
    It's his effort you have to admire. Loads of people are deviants but building a soundproofed rape bunker under the nose of your wife really has to be applauded.

And that's just Henman.

And that's just Henman.

Lovely stuff.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tim Dalton = best gun barrel
    peter wrote: »
    Tim Dalton = best gun barrel

I agree, though I would say Laz and Pierce give him a run for his money.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Laz's reminds me of the Silly Walks with that bowler hat.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,790
    Really? I think it's a very confident walk. Also his gunshot is the most surprising of them all I'd say.
    Really? I think it's a very confident walk. Also his gunshot is the most surprising of them all I'd say.

It's not the walk as such, its just the bowler hat and suit that does it.
  • RC7RC7
    I know what you mean @Bain123
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I like Lazenby's walk and the way he drops down without sacrificing momentum. Unfortunately, the myriad of editing flaws in his gunbarrel keep it from being among the best.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I like Lazenby's walk and the way he drops down without sacrificing momentum. Unfortunately, the myriad of editing flaws in his gunbarrel keep it from being among the best.
    Yes, I like the way Laz drops low as well. Sort of makes it harder for him to be hit. Pretty slick GB in my book, with Barry's very distinctive OHMSS version of the Bond theme.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Example of the thought that went into the film. They were on their game.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,984
    "bondjames wrote: »
    "Yes, I like the way Laz drops low as well. Sort of makes it harder for him to be hit. Pretty slick GB in my book, with Barry's very distinctive OHMSS version of the Bond theme.

Yeah, apparently that's also something used professionally. It's also painful, so again props for him being able to do it without losing momentum.

The music's probably the most unique of all the GB ones, although I don't like how there's no change in music after Bond fires, which is the case with every other gunbarrel except SF. And I felt the credit line disrupted the flow of the gunbarrel, especially since the music was already playing in the background (unlike in Dr No). I always felt the music shift should have coincided with the dots opening up into the gunbarrel.

But those are fairly minor complaints. My main issues are with the double treadmill, Bond being erased by the blood, and the gunbarrel disappearing before the blood even fully comes down.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    "bondjames wrote: »
    "Yes, I like the way Laz drops low as well. Sort of makes it harder for him to be hit. Pretty slick GB in my book, with Barry's very distinctive OHMSS version of the Bond theme.

Yeah, apparently that's also something used professionally. It's also painful, so again props for him being able to do it without losing momentum.

The music's probably the most unique of all the GB ones, although I don't like how there's no change in music after Bond fires, which is the case with every other gunbarrel except SF. And I felt the credit line disrupted the flow of the gunbarrel, especially since the music was already playing in the background (unlike in Dr No). I always felt the music shift should have coincided with the dots opening up into the gunbarrel.

But those are fairly minor complaints. My main issues are with the double treadmill, Bond being erased by the blood, and the gunbarrel disappearing before the blood even fully comes down.
    I had never noticed the lack of a change in tempo of the music after Bond fires before, but I just checked it out and I see what you mean. I actually like the credit line appearing though - something unique.

The OHMSS GB music is really the only GB composition of Barry's that I like, strangely. I much prefer many of the one off's in this regard, especially Conti, Serra, Kamen, Hamlisch and Martin.

I especially like the punchiness to the tune in this one just as Bond fires.

I really look forward to a classic GB in the next film.
    @bondjames — Ah, it looks like GoldenEye also lacks a serious change in music after Bond fires. I prefer TND myself, but I still think it's good.

You don't like Barry's other gunbarrel scores? I admit a lot of them are basically the same (especially from 1979 - 1987), but I like TWMTGG, YOLT and DAF.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @ForyYourEyesOnly, perhaps I should clarify. I like them all, but I just find all the 'one off's' far more distinctive and that's what I appreciate so much about their gunbarrels.

In a way, that's why I like the OHMSS GB from Barry so much as well - because it's got that distinctive OHMSS vibe to the tune and could only have come from that film. Some how the rest of his GBs just seem run of the mill in comparison to all the unique interpretations from the one offs.
    @bondjames - Fair enough. I agree that the one-off composers bring a lot more zing to the sequence. Barry only ever managed that with a one-off Bond actor. :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited July 2017 Posts: 6,733
    bondjames wrote: »
    @ForyYourEyesOnly, perhaps I should clarify. I like them all, but I just find all the 'one off's' far more distinctive and that's what I appreciate so much about their gunbarrels.

In a way, that's why I like the OHMSS GB from Barry so much as well - because it's got that distinctive OHMSS vibe to the tune and could only have come from that film. Some how the rest of his GBs just seem run of the mill in comparison to all the unique interpretations from the one offs.

I think the OHMSS gunbarrel is probably John Barry's most unique sounding, but it's not the only one of his that is distinctive. Thunderball's use of the timpani and muted strings recalls the rest of that film's score, with its "underwater" sound. You Only Live Twice, with the muted guitar, has an Asian sound to it, and is in a different key than usual (F minor). The Man with the Golden Gun has an Asian sound, too, with the high woodwinds doubling the violins playing the melody. Moonraker has the unique, gritty sound of the gunshot chords at the beginning, and the horns and trumpets playing the melody.

The gunbarrels that are most similar in sound are Octopussy, A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights. I think the latter was a bit of a missed opportunity, since they could've used the drum machine heard in the rest of the score. As it is, it's basically the same as Octopussy. In fairness, A View to a Kill is still somewhat different to the other two, thanks to the faster tempo and the use of the triangle, without tambourine, for percussion, but it's clearly not a big difference.

Personally, I didn't pick up on these differences between the gunbarrels until I listened to them with headphones, outside of the respective films. Before that, they all sounded the same to me.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

I think the OHMSS gunbarrel is probably John Barry's most unique sounding, but it's not the only one of his that is distinctive. Thunderball's use of the timpani and muted strings recalls the rest of that film's score, with its "underwater" sound. You Only Live Twice, with the muted guitar, has an Asian sound to it, and is in a different key than usual (F minor). The Man with the Golden Gun has an Asian sound, too, with the high woodwinds doubling the violins playing the melody. Moonraker has the unique, gritty sound of the gunshot chords at the beginning, and the horns and trumpets playing the melody.

The gunbarrels that are most similar in sound are Octopussy, A View to a Kill and The Living Daylights. I think the latter was a bit of a missed opportunity, since they could've used the drum machine heard in the rest of the score. As it is, it's basically the same as Octopussy. In fairness, A View to a Kill is still somewhat different to the other two, thanks to the faster tempo and the use of the triangle, without tambourine, for percussion, but it's clearly not a big difference.

Personally, I didn't pick up on these differences between the gunbarrels until I listened to them with headphones, outside of the respective films. Before that, they all sounded the same to me.
    Thanks for pointing out those differences. I'll go through them all again soon and see if I can pick up on these distinctions, particularly in the case TB, YOLT, TMWTGG & MR.
    Agreed with @mattjoes. I've always appreciated how they added an appropriate "twist" to each gunbarrel, if you will.

Does anyone know why they opted for blue dots for the gunbarrel in the original release of the TMWTGG, or why they zoomed in on the gunbarrel in AVTAK?
    Since it is about controversial opinions, I'd love to see once the gunbarrel as part of the plot like CR, but at the very start of the film as usual.