Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    It just occurred to me that I absolutely love Ed Killifer in LTK. I suppose that might be controversial.

"Just came by to kiss the bride"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @GoldenGun, I think Killifer is so bad he's good... bad and uncomfortable, but he's immensely enjoyable as an OTT villain...
    He's terrible but in a funny way. Agree @peter.
    GAWD DAMMIT! You think you're in some Banana REPUBLIC?

ToTheRight wrote: »

That opening scene in the interrogation room is hilarious,
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    LTK is probably the strangest Bond film ever. There are so many WTF moments throughout. I'm watching it now, as it happens.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It is probably the most unique in the series (with the possible exception of OHMSS). All the rest have at least one other film that more or less reflects the same look and vibe.

Very good point. LTK is one of a kind. No other bond film has it's exact tone and feel.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That opening scene in the interrogation room is hilarious,

I always thought it was funny.
    Just love that film to bits. Together with OHMSS my favourites.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Not Bond related but why do people hate Man from UNCLE? I thought it was very entertaining and one of the few few movies to get a decent laugh out of me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Not Bond related but why do people hate Man from UNCLE? I thought it was very entertaining and one of the few few movies to get a decent laugh out of me.
    I don't hate it, but I found it very pedestrian (although undoubtedly quite stylish). Ultimately, for me it came down to poor acting on the part of Cavill and particularly Hammer. They were like actors reading from the pages of a script rather than embodying their roles. Quite generic and caricatured to my eyes. Walking stiffs trying to be cool.

Having said that, yes it's not a terrible way to spend a few hours. All very forgettable though.

I am not surprised at all by the financial drubbing it took.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's about how I felt about it. I didn't hate it, It just felt like a generic and bland buddy cop movie we've seen dozens of times. I was hoping for something more YOLT styled with a full on U.N.C.L.E. vs T.H.R.U.S.H. movie instead of the typical origin stories we keep getting these days.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Simple minded. I couldn't get through 10 minutes of that lame dialogiue.

Damn right.
    I watched UNCLE about 4 months ago, and enjoyed it. But honestly I remember little about it. Pretty much how I feel about quite a lot of films made in the past 10 -15 years.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Guy Ritchie's only true accomplishment was latching himself to Madonna. There, I said it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And, @echo , when you say "latching himself to Madonna"-- what exactly do you mean?.... just for clarity....
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2017 Posts: 5,993
    peter wrote: »
    And, @echo , when you say "latching himself to Madonna"-- what exactly do you mean?.... just for clarity....

His best career move. Instant international notoriety.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    echo wrote: »

Guy Ritchie's only true accomplishment was latching himself to Madonna. There, I said it.

Yeah Swept Away was definitely the highlight of his career...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @echo ... on the tit as it were (check out her wearing the Snatch t-shirts-- they were three times too small for Madge!).
    I have given The Man from Uncle film 2 chances for me to like it and both times I didn't,no matter how hard I tried.

echo wrote: »

While it has been a long time since I enjoyed the movie of his I would like to emphasize that I consider Stock,Look...and Snatch brilliant. Indeed they might be the last movies I found truly funny.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I have given The Man from Uncle film 2 chances for me to like it and both times I didn't,no matter how hard I tried.

Maybe you should stop trying, it's the way it works in love too ;-)

I love it. I think it's stylish, light-hearted and funny. Much of the dialogue is better then we get in most modern films where everything is explained to a t. The soundtrack is fantastic, the pictures cool as a cucumber. It isn't much of a spy film, but I don't think the original series were any different in that regard.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Maybe you should stop trying, it's the way it works in love too ;-)

I love it. I think it's stylish, light-hearted and funny. Much of the dialogue is better then we get in most modern films where everything is explained to a t. The soundtrack is fantastic, the pictures cool as a cucumber. It isn't much of a spy film, but I don't think the original series were any different in that regard.

I liked it a lot for those reasons as well. I can appreciate some style over substance once in a while.
    Joining the very small island of folks that think 'The Writing on the Wall" is a fantastic song.

*ducks for cover*
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The song is good, but Sam Smith ruins it.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Whilst I don't mind Smith's vocal performance, I understand the criticism.

Makes you wonder what a Chris Cornell-type would've done with it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Joining the very small island of folks that think 'The Writing on the Wall" is a fantastic song.

*ducks for cover*

giphy.webp
    Murdock wrote: »

Exactly, I quite like the instrumental version.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    No Bond actor has ever suited an individual Bond film more than George in OHMSS.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Exactly, I quite like the instrumental version.

My feeling too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    No Bond actor has ever suited an individual Bond film more than George in OHMSS.
    Connery in the first four, Sir Rog in LALD, TSWLM, MR & OP, Dalton in LTK & Craig in QoS come close imho. I can't see anyone else in those either.