Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hahahahaha! Precisely.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    With respect, it's the letter "g". Just sayin'.

Alphabet-Flashcards-For-Preschooler-Letter-G-Color.jpg
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    This movie is very overrated. It's a mess, but Duvall's character is very "stupid funny" in a very serious film, which is the best thing in it.
    Frequency. Grade: A.
    I love Frequency. Real hidden gem of a film that one is. Love it.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,005
    Full Metal Jacket;

I absolutely love this movie. From start to finish. Private Joker is one of my favorite movie characters. Sergeant Hartman is as well. And even the supporting roles, like Private Pyle, Cowboy, Animal Mother, and also the appearance by John Terry aka Felix Lieter in The Living Daylights that same years. Im not sure if I'm the only one, but I somewhat resonate with Private Pyle. He's somebody who obviously isn't fit mentally for the Military, and he becomes the hardened Marine because of the abuse he takes from everyone at the bootcamp. Especially the soap in blanket scene. It's ironic too because he may have become the Marine that Hartmen and Joker wanted him to be, but it cost him his sanity. Joker's arc in the film is also pretty good. We see him start as the wise Alec, and while that would remain, we see his evolution from Boy, to Marine, then finally, a killer. All in all, just a great movie.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I love Frequency. Real hidden gem of a film that one is. Love it.

Oh yeah.
  • Full Metal Jacket...All in all, just a great movie.

Indeed, well said. Been a long time since I've seen this one. I have Eyes Wide Shut coming up. Think I'll revisit FMJ after that. I'm well due. Not the biggest fan of war films in general, but the great ones are always worth watching.
  • Full Metal Jacket...All in all, just a great movie.

Indeed, well said. Been a long time since I've seen this one. I have Eyes Wide Shut coming up. Think I'll revisit FMJ after that. I'm well due. Not the biggest fan of war films in general, but the great ones are always worth watching.

Indeed, War movies aren't really my taste either, but FMJ is just all around a superb film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are war films, and then there are anti-war films.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (1972) dir. Shunya Ito, starring Meiko Kaji. Wow! This was better than I was expecting. Classic slice of Japanese exploration cinema with the beautiful, charismatic Meiko Kaji in one of her iconic roles. This actress says more with her eyes than ever could be put into dialogue. Betrayed by a corrupt police officer, Matshu, is imprisoned and has a shit-load of punishment dealt her way not just by prison officers but her inmates as well. All this brutality leads to a prison escape and revenge for those who raped and betrayed her. The revenges when the come are almost told in vingette, short and to the point - usually the point of a blade! I think this is the only film in which Kaji is seen nude or semi-nude (there is quite a lot of flesh on display in the prison) and she makes for a sympathetic hero who endures a lot in quite stoicism.
    First film in Arrow Video's Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection blu-ray box set. And an awesome set it is too. All four FPS films (reversible artwork on each film), double-sided poster and a 60-page hardback book featuring articles, interviews, film stills and illustrations. Can't wait to see the next films…
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just rewatched "Silence"
    I remember when this came out I was like the only person who watched it as it was a box office bomb. Nevertheless I think this movie is incredible and anyone who considers themselves as a fan of film should check it out for sure
    Just rewatched "Silence"
    I remember when this came out I was like the only person who watched it as it was a box office bomb. Nevertheless I think this movie is incredible and anyone who considers themselves as a fan of film should check it out for sure

Definitely a great film - and a great accomplishment for Martin Scorsese. Really powerful stuff. One of his best.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,686
    Baywatch (2017)

Man oh man, what a totally hilarious and entertaining film. 2 hours of non-stop laughter with Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron sharing very good chemistry and charisma while saying and doing very crude and rude stuff. There were a lot of insanely beautiful women running around in bikini, and the soundtrack was fantastic - a really cool playlists to jam to. Some of the scenes had more in stitches for 5+ minutes (ie: the morgue scene featured in the trailers), the action was super badass, and the film had a few very neat cameos. I really hope a sequel can happen.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Glad to read that you enjoyed it @DaltonCraig007. I completely forgot about this film. It didn't get much marketing where I am and it's not in the best theatres any more. I'm going to try and catch it before it disappears for good in the next week or so.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It Comes At Night (2017)

I really, really enjoyed this film. Very oppressive and bleak world/atmosphere where a family of 3 is stuck in a house in a remote location in the middle of the forest. The world, from what the film tells, has been decimated by an unknown event - is it a deadly plague? zombies? - but nothing of what happened prior to the film is explained, which adds to the very mysterious and tense atmosphere. Joel Egerton as the lead character delivers a powerhouse performance, and the rest of the cast is very good too. I felt it was a mix of 'Outpost' and 'Signs', 2 films I really enjoy. Really looking forward to watch this film again on Blu Ray, as I love these single location mystery/post-apocalyptic thriller films.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 17,687
    John Wick 2. The first film should have ended with his death. But they saw a trilogy there while filming. So I was ready for a kind of reboot in a way... The action was truly amazing. The music by Tyler was awesome. Keanu was fantastic as always... so.... why was I disappointed (again)? It's another gun-fest with no heart. The first one had heart, but was betrayed by the 'happy ending'. Yeah, I'll see the third one (I'm a Keanu fan after all), but he better die in it.
    Batman v Superman - Dawn of Justice
    Suicide Squad
    Batman -66
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Baywatch (2017)

Man oh man, what a totally hilarious and entertaining film. 2 hours of non-stop laughter with Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron sharing very good chemistry and charisma while saying and doing very crude and rude stuff. There were a lot of insanely beautiful women running around in bikini, and the soundtrack was fantastic - a really cool playlists to jam to. Some of the scenes had more in stitches for 5+ minutes (ie: the morgue scene featured in the trailers), the action was super badass, and the film had a few very neat cameos. I really hope a sequel can happen.
    My precisely feelings about it! :D

I'm already HUNGRY for a sequel!
    Blade Runner (1982)
    I'm not a fan of this film or Star Trek films.
    I find Alien,Aliens and Star Wars films are better.
    Sean Young was very good though.
    From IMDB:
    [Talking about Harrison Ford during the filming of Blade Runner (1982)] Harry [Ford], he was never happy on that film. The only time he was happy was when they told him it was over.
    Ford wasn't happy doing the narration, and you can hear it in his delivery. Blade Runner is one of those movies that improved with the recut. Dumping the narration and the awful epilogue made a huge difference.
    BECOMING BOND
    v1.bjsxNjI3MjQ4O2o7MTczODg7MTIwMDsxNDkzOzE0OTM
    George Lazenby is refreshingly honest, and that is his charm. Not quite as I expected. A great watch. The funniest bit is probably him in school.
    The Pelican Brief (1993)
    xPHtIku.jpg

First viewing in some time of this Alan Pakula directed conspiracy thriller, based on a bestselling John Grisham book. After two Supreme Court justices are killed, young law student Darby Shaw (Julia Roberts) writes a brief theorizing on the reason for their murders. Her boyfriend, law professor Thomas Callahan (Sam Shepard), passes it onto a friend at the FBI. The brief implicates the White House indirectly in the murders. Soon Callahan is also murdered and Darby barely escapes with her life. Realizing that she is in mortal danger as a result of her theories, she seeks out intrepid Washington Herald reporter Gray Grantham (Denzel Washington) and sets him on the investigative trail, hoping he can get to the truth. Grantham and Darby find that they have to be at their sharpest as nefarious parties try to take them out, not least Stanley Tucci as a creepy assassin.

This is a very good thriller, but is quite talky. If one liked other Grisham efforts like The Firm (from the same year), then one should like this film. Roberts is quite good as the brave but anxious Darby Shaw, in over her head due to her own intelligence. Washington is superb as the fearless pit bull Grantham, committed to getting to the bottom of the complex web of deceit which reaches all the way to the highest levels of power. John Lithgow is outstanding in a small part as Smith Keene, Grantham’s boss at the Herald. Robert Culp, Cynthia Nixon, William Atherton, James Sikking & Tony Goldwyn also star. Nicholas Woodeson (the psychologist in SF) has a memorable part as a baddie. The film has a moody score by James Horner anchoring the proceedings.

I smirked during a sequence in the Oval Office where the POTUS asks the FBI Director to go easy on an investigation which could implicate him or his associates. Topical, given current Washington gossip.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Last Castle

Robert Redford, James Gandoldini, Mark Ruffalo and (for a few scenes, though he's billed fourth) Delroy Lindo star in a movie I impulse bought at a secondhand store that I ended up liking a great deal.

Robert Redford plays a recently-court martialed General sent to a prison run by James Gandolfini's character, a Colonel who's never seen one minute of actual combat. He's got a reputation for being nasty with the prisoners, but he's got a clean record with his men, so nothing's done about him. He tries to be less of a dick to Redford, because he's a military history buff and Redford's character wrote a book he owns, but he overhears Redford mocking his collection of military memorabilia and takes great offense.

To some extent, the movie plays out like The Shawshank Redemption in an army prison, none of the characters want out of prison being the major difference. Gandolfini is a corrupt bastard like Bob Gunton's Warden Norton; Mark Ruffalo's character isn't as capable of getting things for you as Morgan Freeman's Red, but he sure manages to get everybody cigarettes all the time; Redford's character is the back breaking uncorrupted who strikes up many friendships, much like Andy Dufresne.

Of course, this being an action movie as well, the endings are quite different. The last 20 minutes are a giant prisoners vs guards game of chess between Redford and Gandolfini, outlining the differences between the two men. It's an exciting sequence, and it leads to a rather emotional ending.

There are many faults, however. The movie allows for some decent character development, but there's a moment mid-film where it seems Redford's character just gains all the prisoners' respect, with very little build up. The end battle scene in particular relies on the prisoners using many improvised weapons that just appear out of nowhere with little but a couple lines of dialogue foreshadowing them. Early on, we're told the warden has prisoners murdered, but only one major prisoner death occurs before the battle. It's a powerful one, but it's still only one.

There's not one dud in the cast, the action is exciting and for the most part the plot holds up, but a few plot holes are a major problem. I recommend this movie, but know that it is flawed. For the cast alone, I recommend this movie, it's just a shame they couldn't have had either a slightly better script or at least a montage sequence.
    The Terminator (1984). IMO, overrated but decent flick.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Terminator (1984). IMO, overrated but decent flick.

I think this film is retroactively loved because of its outstanding sequel.
  • The sequel is actually the one I find very good, but overrated. Don't get me wrong I greatly enjoy T2, but The Terminator (1984) is a bonafide classic in my eyes. It works as speculative fiction, it works as horror, it works as romance. It has a very low budget indie vibe to it, but the effects are fantastic for its time and the movie has real heart.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think nostalgia has helped a lot of 80s films, as they are kept alive by thirty-somethings and up. Certainly one of the lesser film decades for me, and the one I have the least interest in.
    I personally am a huge fan of both the original Terminator (it's cheap, pulpy and cheesy, but oh so good!) and T2 (landmark action suspense film-making with special effects that put many of today's CGI infested blockbusters to shame).

In fact, a double bill is in order shortly. Perhaps this weekend.
    Terminator 2 was also "cgi infested". In fact it kickstarted it all.