Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    It's more difficult to be wowed these days, since we have such a repository of past great hits to watch.

Actually, I don't think I've been to the cinema since Spectre!

I think I've seen two movies in the cinema since. Nothing has been capturing me enough to see.

Find it longer and longer between any interesting titles. Can't really see that there are many interesting upcoming titles either. Bond 25 next time in the cinema, maybe?

I think last film I saw in theaters was Inferno and that was back in October. Before that I believe it was Spectre. I've enjoyed the Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean series but not enough for me to pay 10 bucks to see it. I've just gotten in the habit of redboxing everything

That's another problem with movies these days: too few interesting enough to spend about 120 NOK ($14) on. When there is a new film out, I usually judge it by, "is this a movie I can wait for being available on Netflix or other streaming services, or a movie I have to see in the cinema?". 9 out of 10 times, I can wait a few months and see it at home.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I've been checking for films I have missed over the last few years and one that really stood out was Anomalisa. A stop motion drama about a depressed customer service advisor. Sounds riveting eh? It was one of the most fascinating and enlightening films I've seen in years. It really got under my skin.

Just looked it up. It's written by Charlie Kaufman, so it should be good!

I'll be checking it out.

Yep, its a Kaufman. He wrote on of my favourite films. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Next up on my watchlist is another Kaufman, Synecdoche, New York which I also missed.

Love Eternal Sunshine.

I'm afraid I was not a fan of Synecdoche. I found it a thoroughly depressing affair. But perhaps you'll have a better experience with it.

Adaptation. is one I've been meaning to watch forever.

I'm also guilty of never seeing, Adaptation.

Will watch it soon...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Driver. Damn... Walter Hill actually got pretty-boy Ryan to be a badass character! 3 very cool chases in the flick. I wish this was available in Blu Ray....
    Highly recommended.
    the-driver-3.jpg

I got it on bluray a couple months ago on Amazon. Terrific thriller. Its hard to believe Hill wanted Stallone for the lead. O' Neal does a fine job. As well as brilliant car chases its a clever noir thriller. 'Baby Driver' released this week is a homage to it from director Edgar Wright.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Terrific movie, love the absurdity of it all.

Terrific movie, love the absurdity of it all.

Nice; same.
    I have wanted to see this film for 10 years. Not disappointed, grandiose and epic movie!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Mission Impossible 3.

On Ghost Protocol now
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Metro (1997)
    ESFfz9k.jpg

Just finished this cop thriller starring Eddie Murphy as Scott Roper, a smooth talking hostage negotiator with the San Francisco Police Dept. When a co-worker and friend is brutally murdered (Basic Instinct elevator style) by professional jewel thief Michael Korda (the always intense Michael Wincott), Roper dedicates himself to extracting justice. He eventually apprehends Korda after a jewel heist, but the villain escapes and hatches a dastardly plot to take revenge on Roper’s girlfriend Ronnie (Carmen Ejogo). Roper must use all his smarts to save his girl.

This is not a bad way to spend an hour and a half even though the film is quite formulaic and predictable in that 90’s way. Murphy is his usual foul mouthed hyperkinetic self, channeling his inner Axel Foley. The gravelly voiced Wincott is chillingly creepy as the villain. The animosity between his character and Murphy’s is palpable however, and elevates the somewhat sparse narrative. Carmen Ejogo is suitably enticing and charismatic as Eddie’s babe (I recently saw her in a small part in Alien Covenant, and she’s still got the goods 20 years later, but she’s very appealing here in her youth). Michael Rapaport also stars as Murphy’s sharp shooter partner Kevin. The highlight is a wicked chase through the streets of San Francisco featuring an out of control streetcar.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Prometheus: it's fairly entertaining even on second watch.

The Revenant: this film is incredibly made and it gets better every time I watch it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,894
    bondjames wrote: »
    Metro (1997)
    ESFfz9k.jpg

Just finished this cop thriller starring Eddie Murphy as Scott Roper, a smooth talking hostage negotiator with the San Francisco Police Dept. When a co-worker and friend is brutally murdered (Basic Instinct elevator style) by professional jewel thief Michael Korda (the always intense Michael Wincott), Roper dedicates himself to extracting justice. He eventually apprehends Korda after a jewel heist, but the villain escapes and hatches a dastardly plot to take revenge on Roper’s girlfriend Ronnie (Carmen Ejogo). Roper must use all his smarts to save his girl.

This is not a bad way to spend an hour and a half even though the film is quite formulaic and predictable in that 90’s way. Murphy is his usual foul mouthed hyperkinetic self, channeling his inner Axel Foley. The gravelly voiced Wincott is chillingly creepy as the villain. The animosity between his character and Murphy’s is palpable however, and elevates the somewhat sparse narrative. Carmen Ejogo is suitably enticing and charismatic as Eddie’s babe (I recently saw her in a small part in Alien Covenant, and she’s still got the goods 20 years later, but she’s very appealing here in her youth). Michael Rapaport also stars as Murphy’s sharp shooter partner Kevin. The highlight is a wicked chase through the streets of San Francisco featuring an out of control streetcar.

Why couldn't that have been used as BHC IV? From what I remember of Metro, at least it would have been more in the vein of the first two films.

EDIT:
    Looks like someone had the same idea:

ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS ZOMBIES (2012)

ABRAHAM LINCOLN-VAMPIRE HUNTER from the same year was absolutely brilliant. This was absolutely not. Pure rubbish, couldn t finish it.
    FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965)

This completed my dollars trilogy, finally. I have had A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY in my movie collection a long time, but I have only caught the second half of this second film on tv before. This is excellent stuff as usual.
    Pure existentialist poetry. Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone is one of those legendary team-ups.

Eastwood is manlier than most, up there with Lucky Luke. And so is Lee Van Cleef.

Speaking of which...
    ane_214_leevancleeflucky%20luke-58515f01519ae.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I still need to get For a Few Dollars More, it's the only one I'm missing.
    Just watched Dirty Heroes (Dalle Ardenne all'inferno for any Italian speakers, also listed as From Hell to Victory), with some of my favorite Bond actors, Daniela Bianchi (lovely as always, even my girlfriend thinks she's gorgeous), Curd Jurgens, and Adolfo Celi. Tired WWII macaroni combat drama, but fun, I especially like seeing a Rolex Sub in a movie about WWII (too funny!).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Hush (2016)

The Invitation (2015)

Three superbly crafted thrillers.

Extremely boring. I turned it off halfway through.
    Police academy - the original one and it is sure funny on occasion hysterical funny. The original crew was awesome and funny.
    jake24 wrote: »
    10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Hush (2016)

The Invitation (2015)

Three superbly crafted thrillers.

Only seen 10 Cloverfield Lane which i really liked (except the ending)

The other 2 looks interesting.
    Bay(be)watch (2017)
    veaaimp.jpg

I just got back from the theatre & had a blast with this film. It recaptures the spring break feel of the original show while injecting some big screen oomph. Like in the tv series, this crew is deadly serious about their work and they go about it with earnest determination. Being a life guard is no laughing matter you know. They also do more than their fair share of stopping crime.

The big enchilada is of course Mitch Buchannon ('The Rock' Dwayne Johnson), who is so good at his job that he is almost a living legend. He is ably aided by CJ (Kelly Rohrbach looking babelicious) & Stephanie (the statuesque & exotic Ilfenesh Hadera). Mitch has a few new recruits on his team, including the ravishing Alexandria Daddario as Summer Quinn, a bumbling but good natured and determined Jon Bass as Ronnie, and most notably Zac Efron as Matt Brody, a disgraced ex-Olympic gold medalist swimmer who's brilliant but has issues being a team player. Priyanka Chopra is superb as sultry sexy baddie Victoria Leeds, who the team must bring down.

The film is quite funny in places, although some of the 'dick' jokes are a bit overdone. I wasn't much of a fan of Bass's character, but apart from that this is a decent popcorn flick and worth a viewing on video at least. Dwayne Johnson carries it. Chopra references Bond in the film briefly, which is a nice touch. Oh, and The Hoff does make an all too brief appearance.

I found it amusing to see the various ethnicities in this film. Like the FF series, this one is definitely geared to a global audience.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Dracula (1931). Having bought the Universal Monsters boxset, this was the first time watching this movie. Loved it, such a great, atmospheric movie and Lugosi is quite chilling as the title character.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My favourite Dracula, actor and film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dracula (1931) is among my top 3 dracula film/actors. The other two are Jack palance in Dan Curtis' Dracula, and Klaus Kinski in Nosferatu (1979).

As for Baywatch, it looks just like most comedies today, but I wouldn't be against Alexandria Daddario and/or Kelly Rohrbach as secondary Bond Girls.
    As for Baywatch, it looks just like most comedies today, but I wouldn't be against Alexandria Daddario and/or Kelly Rohrbach as secondary Bond Girls.
    I completely agree and will add Priyanka Chopra to that list. She was impressive hamming it up here as a baddie.

Now that I think about it, this film gave off a bit of a Rush Hour 2 vibe too with the multi-ethnic comedy/action/babe slant. Nowhere near as good as that Tucker/Chan classic, but certainly evoking the spirit of it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Goes straight near the top of my list of favorite horror movies. I love post-apocalyptic movies, so when you add zombies to the mix, you'll always have my money. Glenn Close, Paddy Considine, Gemma Arterton and the main young actress all give powerhouse performances, the action scenes are very thrilling, the plot was really interesting, and it had the level of originality that sets it apart from many other films of the zombie genre. It reminded me of the Canadian horror flick 'Pontypool', a movie I have a big affection for. I can't wait to own this film on Blu Ray.
    The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Goes straight near the top of my list of favorite horror movies. I love post-apocalyptic movies, so when you add zombies to the mix, you'll always have my money. Glenn Close, Paddy Considine, Gemma Arterton and the main young actress all give powerhouse performances, the action scenes are very thrilling, the plot was really interesting, and it had the level of originality that sets it apart from many other films of the zombie genre. It reminded me of the Canadian horror flick 'Pontypool', a movie I have a big affection for. I can't wait to own this film on Blu Ray.

I think this premiers on SKY Cinema this week,so I will have a look at it.

The Lion in Winter

God I love Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007
    Watching the film now as per your recommendation. :)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,269
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Again, my Kubrick rankings, best to least:

DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1964)
    SPARTACUS (1960)
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    THE KILLING (1956)
    PATHS OF GLORY (1957)
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
    THE SHINING (1980)
    BARRY LYNDON (1975)
    LOLITA (1962)
    FULL METAL JACKET (1987)
    EYES WIDE SHUT (1999) (loved it when I saw it opening day at the Chinese Mann's theatre in Hollywood with a beautiful drunk woman; I'm shocked at how much I disliked it this last time)
    FEAR AND DESIRE (1953)
    KILLER’S KISS (1955)

Early Documentaries:
    DAY OF THE FIGHT (1951)
    THE SEAFARERS (1953)
    FLYING PADRE (1951)

Pretty good ranking. Lolita and Spartacus have fallen in my ranking due to lower rewatchability. Right now, for me (there always seems to be a couple changes):

1. The Shining
    2. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    3. Paths of Glory
    4. A Clockwork Orange
    5. Barry Lyndon
    6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    7. The Killing
    8. Eyes Wide Shut
    9. Spartacus
    10. Full Metal Jacket
    11. Lolita
    12. Killer's Kiss
    13. Fear and Desire

The Shining was the first Kubrick film I saw and has always been an all-time favorite film for me. Strangelove and Paths of Glory are earlier Kubrick masterpieces that have great rewatchability IMO. A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and 2001 are all unique, incredible films that are still way better than most others out there. The Killing is another early Kubrick classic I love a lot. Eyes Wide Shut has risen from #11 to #8 on my list because I find more and more to enjoy every time. Spartacus has fallen a spot or two just because I don't find it very rewatchable, but it's still a very good epic. Full Metal Jacket even at #10 is a classic, but definitely a little lesser compared to other Kubrick works IMO. Lolita is solid but also not particularly rewatchable. Killer's Kiss and Fear and Desire are the clear weakest and not super good, but still have parts about them that are enjoyable.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 45,489
    SUPERMAN 3

This used to be my favourite Reeve movie by far, much thanks to the comedy provided by Richard Pryor and "evil Superman". Those bits are still the funniest in the DC universe, but it isnt enough. I could not even finish it this time.

I guess only the first one still holds some merits.
    I like the first two. Don't really care much about the others.