Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Terminator 2 was also "cgi infested". In fact it kickstarted it all.
    Indeed, but it was done exceptionally well for its time. The T1000 coming up from the checkered floor in the prison is still a great scene.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames Crazy that T2 and the original Jurassic Park are from 1991 and 1993, and still wipe the floor with nearly every major blockbuster made since then in terms of special effects!
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames Crazy that T2 and the original Jurassic Park are from 1991 and 1993, and still wipe the floor with nearly every major blockbuster made since then in terms of special effects!
    Agreed @DaltonCraig007, and good choices. Those two films are benchmarks when it comes to seamlessly incorporating class leading special effects with masterful suspenseful film making. That's why they were such landmark successes (particularly T2, given its rating). It's the latter part that nearly everyone seems to have forgotten these days.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    People have their rose-tinted lenses on while examining effects of the past. The CGI of today is so good you don't even notice the most major instances of it. I'm not talking about CGI battles or characters, but how effects teams have recreated entire parts of backgrounds in a way that is impossible to discern.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    Terminator 2 was also "cgi infested". In fact it kickstarted it all.
    Indeed, but it was done exceptionally well for its time. The T1000 coming up from the checkered floor in the prison is still a great scene.

I remember it well, we had never seen anything like it.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 12,269
    I think nostalgia has helped a lot of 80s films, as they are kept alive by thirty-somethings and up. Certainly one of the lesser film decades for me, and the one I have the least interest in.

To me personally, 80s films are far superior to the current decade we're in. 70s, 90s, and 00s are possibly (and probably for the first two at least) superior, but the 80s still have far more true classics than we have now; to name a few big ones - Blade Runner, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Shining, The Elephant Man, The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Full Metal Jacket, Blue Velvet, Raging Bull, Die Hard.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I think nostalgia has helped a lot of 80s films, as they are kept alive by thirty-somethings and up. Certainly one of the lesser film decades for me, and the one I have the least interest in.

To me personally, 80s films are far superior to the current decade we're in. 70s, 90s, and 00s are possibly (and probably for the first two at least) superior, but the 80s still have far more true classics than we have now; to name a few big ones - Blade Runner, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Shining, The Elephant Man, The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Full Metal Jacket, Blue Velvet, Raging Bull, Die Hard.

I think it goes without saying that modern filmmaking tanks, I just mean out of the big decades from the 40s to the 80s the 80s is the one I'm least interested in. I don't have the Star Wars hype so that's gone, and Indy is alright, but every time I think of the decade-or hear the films comprising it discussed, actually-I just think of the very bland action hero movies or the self-aware comedies of the day. The more challenging and interesting filmmaking that is a carry over from the 70s aren't talked about as much as they should be, for me. Anyway...
    Objectively the 70s are the best decade in film, and I couldn't make a good argument against it because there are so many amazing films from the decade that stand the test of time.

I tend to agree. Apart from a few directors working today, most of the stuff coming out is regurgitated and unoriginal. There's a lack of inventiveness for the most part.

I think the 80's was the last great decade, both in film and in music. The decade gets a bum rap from some, I feel. Sure, it was definitely more popcorn & spectacle oriented than the 70's, but it brought back some of the flair (as opposed to flare) and confidence of the 60's.
    Overall the 2010s is just incredibly disappointing in films; I find even the 00s are vastly superior for the most part. If you love comic book films this decade has been great, but I only like a few here and there myself. The fad has gotten old to me.
    We've had films that are exceptions, and that truly feel like modern classics, but they're super rare. My biggest gripe is with the industry as a whole, and the industry of mostly everything today, but especially film. The idiocy of studio heads kill any sense of life or genius that is left for directors, writers and actors to partake in. Add to that the stupid PC culture we've chained ourselves to and we're basically doomed. This isn't to say anything about how hard it is to do anything audiences like these days, or that can't just offhand be compared to something from decades ago.
    It's true. Most things are just too safe and unoriginal now. There are some films I have really liked here and there (Whiplash and Room come to mind) - it's just so much lesser than previous decades.
    It's true. Most things are just too safe and unoriginal now. There are some films I have really liked here and there (Whiplash and Room come to mind) - it's just so much lesser than previous decades.

And that's the way studios want it. Better to latch onto something that worked thirty years ago than anything new that is a risk to finance and shoot. That's why Star Wars will never die now, why Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Transformers and loads of other properties are coming back. The nostalgia people have for the 80s and the emphasis studios put on those properties has really made this a sore ten plus years of filmmaking. And people go out and pay to see them.
    Even Bond. That old hat.
    Even Bond. That old hat.

Bond's the only consistent franchise since its inception, though. He isn't pulled back to get shills to pay for their shot of nostalgia, but a constantly evolving brand. And might I say, the least slimy franchise out there as far as its reputation and how it's run. The way Disney alone runs its productions gives me frights. This is why monopolies in any industry are always ill-advised.
    The Bond movies felt pretty redundant in the 90s.
    Even Bond. That old hat.
    Yes, even Bond. Absolutely. If we're being honest with ourself, we have to admit that. There is a huge amount of nostalgia tied up in the Bond brand, whether it be for the Connery era, the Moore era, Dalton, or even (heaven forbid!) Brozza.

Perhaps we're just at a stage in time when much of what can be done in the creative arts has been done? Technology has helped us to retain and even restore those old works so that they now look better than ever. Inevitably we compare contemporary work to what we've seen before, and as time progresses there is so much past art to see and appreciate due to technology. Art is usually appreciated in the context of its time too. When I watch To Catch A Thief or North By Northwest or DN, a lot of my appreciation for the product is subjective, and with an understanding of the time in which it was made. It's more difficult to be wowed these days, since we have such a repository of past great hits to watch.

There's always slumps. But I don't think the Craig era would be so melodramatically hated by some if it wasn't stirring the pot and doing something fresh with a formula-driven property. Bond has taken itself about as far as it could reasonably go since the 60s, from serious to light, to f@#$in space for crying out loud.

Other properties, including the new Star Wars films, not only want to just remake what films worked in the past, they are using the old films to branch off new money making opportunities. With a remake of New Hope with fresh paint and a prequel to the same film being the first released, not to mention spin-offs of all the old 70s and 80s characters that are coming, it's clear people don't want anything new. Disney can have at it milking this one, as the audiences shall be their sheep for it.
    I'm afraid I couldn't agree with you more, regrettably.
    This isn't a knock against Brosnan's Bond at all (I thought he did a fine job), but GE is the only 90s Bond film I couldn't do without. TND and TWINE have their moments, but they are much weaker than many other films in the series.
    I'm watching Eyes Wide Shut right now-- and there's something that always made me chuckle.
    When Tom Cruise is talking with his old pianist friend about the mysterious party, he hears he's supposed to bring a costume and that's all the detail he's given.

He shows up dressed perfectly to blend in with everyone.
    My dumb ass probably would have shown up dressed as Batman. :))
    I'm watching Eyes Wide Shut right now-- and there's something that always made me chuckle.
    When Tom Cruise is talking with his old pianist friend about the mysterious party, he hears he's supposed to bring a costume and that's all the detail he's given.

I figured there was more of the conversation we missed considering how the scene cuts off abruptly, so it's possible there was more detail about the costume. Hope you enjoy the film; such a good one.

@Master_Dahark, and knowing how many fat cat elitists would be at the party, you'd risk running into Bruce Wayne himself while he's doing reconnaissance on the city's corrupt 2%. He'd look at your costume and think, "How the hell does he know? Wait, does he know about me?"
    LOL I can just picture him in the background when Tom gets unmasked like 'hmmmm, should I step in?'
    LOL I can just picture him in the background when Tom gets unmasked like 'hmmmm, should I step in?'

Then he thinks, "No Bruce, remember what happened at that ball with Selina? Better stay out of it."
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,985
    The Terminator (1984). IMO, overrated but decent flick.

The Terminator is a bonafide classic and was an incredibly influential film.

Low budget genius from James Cameron.

Saw it at the cinema way back in 1985. Still sadly have the ticket stub.... :))
    It's more difficult to be wowed these days, since we have such a repository of past great hits to watch.

This made me think a bit. For the last few years I've found myself watching old classics or movies I've seen before - and enjoyed, instead of checking out new titles. Has anyone been there before?

Actually, I don't think I've been to the cinema since Spectre!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's more difficult to be wowed these days, since we have such a repository of past great hits to watch.

Actually, I don't think I've been to the cinema since Spectre!

I think I've seen two movies in the cinema since. Nothing has been capturing me enough to see.
    Agree with a lot of what is being said here. The Star Wars "milking" is just sad.

At the moment i find myself checking out alot of classic movies rather then checking out new ones, i wonder why...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wonder Woman, the new Pirates & Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 were all totally worth it. And it's SO rare for me to see more than 2 movies in a year now...