The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Scripted by Craig Ferguson as well. Can't wait.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just don't understand how the Charles Angels reboot gets a release date before Bond 25.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Guess what has just surfaced online.

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

@ClarkDevlin, I think I read a synopsis of this film a while back, right? Something about a hitman dealing with past ghosts in a story set in Ireland?
    Correct, Braders.

Sweet! At first I was hoping it was a November Man sequel, but the synopsis for this movie was so compelling to me that I will not complain.

In my head canon, I treat all these spy characters Brosnan's been playing recently as his Bond, with a dark side.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

@ClarkDevlin, I think I read a synopsis of this film a while back, right? Something about a hitman dealing with past ghosts in a story set in Ireland?
    Correct, Braders.

Sweet! At first I was hoping it was a November Man sequel, but the synopsis for this movie was so compelling to me that I will not complain.

In my head canon, I treat all these spy characters Brosnan's been playing recently as his Bond, with a dark side.
    My thoughts exactly, mate. And the first one to resort to that side was his Andy Osnard character in The Tailor of Panama, even though he did play a Soviet spy 15 years earlier, and even before Bond.

Adding to that, Brosnan's son, Sean Brosnan, will be playing the younger version of his character in Last Man Out. They do look alike. A lot.
    Pierce is looking sharp as ever!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

Correct, Braders.

Recently I've enjoyed viewing 'The Matador' as taking place after DAD, with Brosnan's Bond being completely worn out and past his prime, working with a seedy organization that helps him put his talents to work while still raking in the cash and bedding anyone in sight. Of course, the drinking and cursing have been heightened by roughly 4,000%, too, which is always fun!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

Correct, Braders.

Recently I've enjoyed viewing 'The Matador' as taking place after DAD, with Brosnan's Bond being completely worn out and past his prime, working with a seedy organization that helps him put his talents to work while still raking in the cash and bedding anyone in sight. Of course, the drinking and cursing have been heightened by roughly 4,000%, too, which is always fun!

@Creasy47, interesting. I think what Pierce has been doing is finding projects that speak to him with the tones that he wanted to tackle while playing Bond, but that never really worked out. He's so good as these morally ambiguous bastards who make you see the grays in how we act towards one another. That scene in November Man where he does a certain thing to a certain character with a certain sharp object really spoke to me, as that's who I wanted him to play Bond as. He's a man who needed results, and he acted in a way that would get him those effectively.

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

Correct, Braders.

@Creasy47, interesting. I think what Pierce has been doing is finding projects that speak to him with the tones that he wanted to tackle while playing Bond, but that never really worked out. He's so good as these morally ambiguous bastards who make you see the grays in how we act towards one another. That scene in November Man where he does a certain thing to a certain character with a certain sharp object really spoke to me, as that's who I wanted him to play Bond as. He's a man who needed results, and he acted in a way that would get him those effectively.

Absolutely, I agree. He's said on numerous occasions how bad he wanted his Bond to be more akin to the way Craig has been playing him: grounded, brutal, realistic, bloody, and sexy. Shame that he got paired with the likes of DAD, which is the complete polar opposite of Craig's tenure.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

Correct, Braders.

The scene where he slits open the woman's leg? I also would've loved to see that side to his Bond. You could always tell tha beneath Brosnan's performance, there was something there that he just wasn't allowed to bring out, a sort of bastard side. We'd seen a bit of that side in Goldeneye, but it just got lost afterwards. Real shame too.

Last-Man-Out.jpg?ssl=1

Correct, Braders.

Absolutely, I agree. He's said on numerous occasions how bad he wanted his Bond to be more akin to the way Craig has been playing him: grounded, brutal, realistic, bloody, and sexy. Shame that he got paired with the likes of DAD, which is the complete polar opposite of Craig's tenure.

I think I heard once that Brosnan really wanted to amp up the maturity of the era too, especially in the sex scenes. If he'd gotten the input Craig has, those would've been some super interesting films. It just feels like after GE they went back to basics instead of really moving towards a new arena for Bond.

I guess that so soon after the failure of Dalton's more edged out films to hit with audiences, they felt the world wasn't ready for it yet, especially in the states.
    I could be wrong, but I want to say I read somewhere (probably on here) that Brosnan had shot a much longer/more intense sex scene between him and Halle Berry when they first meet, and he was upset that a good portion of it was cut; perhaps it was a bit too close to an R-rating, who knows. Not sure if the footage is even something Craig's era could get away with, but it is a shame that it was cut if it was a really great scene between the two.
    I could be wrong, but I want to say I read somewhere (probably on here) that Brosnan had shot a much longer/more intense sex scene between him and Halle Berry when they first meet, and he was upset that a good portion of it was cut; perhaps it was a bit too close to an R-rating, who knows. Not sure if the footage is even something Craig's era could get away with, but it is a shame that it was cut if it was a really great scene between the two.

Interesting. I assume it had Jinx orgasming or something, as I can't think of anything else that would really set the MPAA on the attack.

There should be room in Bond to go there. These are on the whole very adult films with adult content, so sex should be fair play. The fact that violence gets a pass while one nipple sinks the ship is so laughable to me in so many ways and speaks to western culture's massive logic gaps.

I'm happy that with the Craig era EON have really gone to places that some Bonds wouldn't go, in both departments. The love scene with Bond and Lucia in SP, for example, is really strong for me, and I almost feel bad for watching it as it comes off as a steamy and private moment between two lovers. We see no actual sex, yet it feels so sex-laden. That's something Bond should be able to do, and I'm glad EON don't shy away from that. It's a part of who Bond is, and if you can't show that, what's the point?
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Interesting. I assume it had Jinx orgasming or something, as I can't think of anything else that would really set the MPAA on the attack.

There should be room in Bond to go there. These are on the whole very adult films with adult content, so sex should be fair play. The fact that violence gets a pass while one nipple sinks the ship is so laughable to me in so many ways and speaks to western culture's massive logic gaps.

I'm happy that with the Craig era EON have really gone to places that some Bonds wouldn't go, in both departments. The love scene with Bond and Lucia in SP, for example, is really strong for me, and I almost feel bad for watching it as it comes off as a steamy and private moment between two lovers. We see no actual sex, yet it feels so sex-laden. That's something Bond should be able to do, and I'm glad EON don't shy away from that. It's a part of who Bond is, and if you can't show that, what's the point?

Even the earlier films were pushing the boundaries for how sex should be portrayed on screen. I've heard from James Bond Radio that Dr. No was the first film to show both a man and a woman sharing the same bed, although I don't know how true that is.
    @007ClassicBondFan, I don't know the first film to do that, but even in 1960 Hitchcock was pushing major sexual boundaries in Psycho by shooting Janet Leigh in a skirt and bra with her lover in a bed, and later focusing on her in just that bra again and of course in the shower, fully nude. It's so quaint now, but at the time it was the biggest attack imaginable on the Hayes code, which was still holding sway in the industry.

I agree though, that Bond was always very adult. The sexuality of the 60s films is mind-blowing, really, considering the time and place. DN has some of that adult content, but FRWL really pushed the boundary. A lesbian villain who is overtly into sex, Bond has a sex tape filmed of him, the cinematography focuses on female mouths wide open as the man penis size is implied, and all the rest. It's one of the Bond films where an overwhelming amount of its themes are sex based or tied to sexuality.

Add in all the stuff in GF and the very unrestrained focus on the female body and the villains who oppress sexualized and independent women, TB's use of Domino as a sex object for Largo that he abuses openly and the sick sexual relationship they have despite their age gap, and you've got some strong sexual content there. OHMSS caps off the era nicely in this regard, what with all its references to sex, Bond's erection at dinner, and the many women who swoon after him at Piz Gloria. In the character of Tracy the writers also made obvious sexual references: to thank Bond for helping her at the gambling tables, Tracy has learned via her past that the best way to pay a man back is to have sex with him and pay him. In a nutshell that tells us so much of what kind life she's led, how men have abused her for sex and all the rest. There's also the implied source of her suicide at the beginning, brought on by the death of a child she had by a man who abandoned her.

Vintage Bond went there, and I love those films for pushing that envelope. It was considered ballsy to go against the Hayes code even in the late 60s, but Bond has gone there from jump in major ways.
  • Well if you look at the context of the time, especially around the time of OHMSS, Bond bursted onto screens during the Sexual Revelution. Even Fleming's novels never shyd away from sex either, as he said, they were meant for Adults, not schoolboys.
    Well if you look at the context of the time, especially around the time of OHMSS, Bond bursted onto screens during the Sexual Revelution. Even Fleming's novels never shyd away from sex either, as he said, they were meant for Adults, not schoolboys.

The books would've had a better chance of being liberated, as those kinds of barriers were always being broken for centuries, but for films of the day, it wasn't so easy. To show such explicit and implied sexual things at the cinemas that the public flocked to like a temple, was ballsy. The films of the 60s really began shattering the Hayes Code to tell interesting stories in an uncensored way, and for a series like Bond to go that route on such a dramatic stage of popularity, was something. Just two years before DN it was considered shocking for a woman to appear on screen in a bra. It's just crazy to imagine.

It was films like that that gave way to the 70s, and made the environment a safe one to tell more adult stories that didn't shy away from showing things as they were, and where violence and sex didn't have to be just implied or cut away from anymore. We couldn't have the great 70s films without the 60s films that really paved the way towards more freeing filmmaking long before.
  • Well if you look at the context of the time, especially around the time of OHMSS, Bond bursted onto screens during the Sexual Revelution. Even Fleming's novels never shyd away from sex either, as he said, they were meant for Adults, not schoolboys.

The books would've had a better chance of being liberated, as those kinds of barriers were always being broken for centuries, but for films of the day, it wasn't so easy. To show such explicit and implied sexual things at the cinemas that the public flocked to like a temple, was ballsy. The films of the 60s really began shattering the Hayes Code to tell interesting stories in an uncensored way, and for a series like Bond to go that route on such a dramatic stage of popularity, was something. Just two years before DN it was considered shocking for a woman to appear on screen in a bra. It's just crazy to imagine.

It was films like that that gave way to the 70s, and made the environment a safe one to tell more adult stories that didn't shy away from showing things as they were, and where violence and sex didn't have to be just implied or cut away from anymore. We couldn't have the great 70s films without the 60s films that really paved the way towards more freeing filmmaking long before.

I agree, the 70s was truly the "golden age" of cinema in my opinion. Filmmakers were becoming more and more inventive, and kept pushing those boundaries for how much violence we should show on screen, how much sex should we show, how much could we get away with. I like to think the Bond films helped pave the way, more than any other movie, for those types of films in the 70s, and also helped paved the way for Hollywood becoming more modern, and less shy towards sex, violence, etc. As people say, when Dr. No bursted onto screens in '62, it was unlike anything anybody had seen before. Gone was the era of the "kitchen sink drama", in came Bond, and the rest is history.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Well if you look at the context of the time, especially around the time of OHMSS, Bond bursted onto screens during the Sexual Revelution. Even Fleming's novels never shyd away from sex either, as he said, they were meant for Adults, not schoolboys.

I agree, the 70s was truly the "golden age" of cinema in my opinion. Filmmakers were becoming more and more inventive, and kept pushing those boundaries for how much violence we should show on screen, how much sex should we show, how much could we get away with. I like to think the Bond films helped pave the way, more than any other movie, for those types of films in the 70s, and also helped paved the way for Hollywood becoming more modern, and less shy towards sex, violence, etc. As people say, when Dr. No bursted onto screens in '62, it was unlike anything anybody had seen before. Gone was the era of the "kitchen sink drama", in came Bond, and the rest is history.

Funny because I'd argue nowadays the opposite is happening, where it's cool to not show sex, nudity, romance for the sake of it.

Funny because I'd argue nowadays the opposite is happening, where it's cool to not show sex, nudity, romance for the sake of it.

I'd say the same thing really, I think that nowadays you have so many big budget Hollywood movies that they would need to ensure whatever they could to get a lower rating for more audience members. You'd get more ticket sales off of a PG/PG-13 movie than R rated. It's a shame too because sometimes the studios behind these movies will make the directors compromise their vision for the sake of the approval rating.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I think Pierce himself is as shocked and happy as I am with all the Brosnan love on the forum at the moment
    He just choked on his vodka martini :

piercebrosnan0095.jpg
    Are we going to get November Man 2? C'mon!
    I haven't even seen November Man 1 yet,i keep waiting for it to come on SKY but they have never shown it.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Are we going to get November Man 2? C'mon!

That's what I say! Pierce will soon be playing an Irish spy in an upcoming film that looks to be as dark as November Man, so that at least has me excited.
    I recorded 'Survivor' last night,i have never seen that either,so I will give it a look.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I recorded 'Survivor' last night,i have never seen that either,so I will give it a look.

Some Internet issues at the time kept me from finishing it - the movie wasn't anything unique or grand (from what I saw, anyway), but it wasn't terrible, either. Would like to finish it some day.

Some Internet issues at the time kept me from finishing it - the movie wasn't anything unique or grand (from what I saw, anyway), but it wasn't terrible, either. Would like to finish it some day.

Now I just need to get my hands on 'November Man' but it's never on.

I don't want to buy it yet,in case I don't like it .

Now I just need to get my hands on 'November Man' but it's never on.

I don't want to buy it yet,in case I don't like it .
    You can digitally order it. I can't imagine it would be much.
    Good point..i might check that out..did you like it ?
    It was alright, mate. :)

It's a $15 Million budget production, with a lot of aspects you could see in a TV movie. It could have been better to display better quality action like the Bourne films, but at the end of the day, and that's only in my opinion, feels like a ripoff. However, Pierce is THE one who carries it through and Olga gives it an outstanding push. I don't care about the other actors in it... well, maybe Luke Bracey who seems to be a great newcomer. So, it's a Brosnan vehicle, so go for it. Especially when it's a spy flick. :)
    It was alright, mate. :)

It's a $15 Million budget production, with a lot of aspects you could see in a TV movie. It could have been better to display better quality action like the Bourne films, but at the end of the day, and that's only in my opinion, feels like a ripoff. However, Pierce is THE one who carries it through and Olga gives it an outstanding push. I don't care about the other actors in it... well, maybe Luke Bracey who seems to be a great newcomer. So, it's a Brosnan vehicle, so go for it. Especially when it's a spy flick. :)

Nice one @ClarkDevlin ,I will have a look and see what I can find,thanks matey !