Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

If anyone mourns Sir Roger it should be his family.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    i tend to think of Sir Roger as the closest we ever came to a Cary Grant Bond.

I never thought of it that way, but that's true.

Sir Roger always downplayed his talent, which was immensely appealing.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    Great video, thanks for posting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    M_Balje wrote: »
    For your eyes only wil be in Dutch cinema on 5 June at 8.30 pm. Price € 8,50.
    All the money go to Unicef.

That's the good news, the bad news be only on 5 June and no subtitels.

Keep in mind you should be 12+ (PG13).
    For this screening there can ask for your id.

Let op:
    De leeftijdskeuring 12 jaar wordt strikt nageleefd! Jonger dan 12? Dan alleen toegang onder begeleiding van een volwassene.

Meer informatie waar de film draait:

https://www.pathe.nl/film/23132/for-your-eyes-only
    Als eerbetoon aan de overleden Sir Roger Moore, brengen we de Bondfilm For Your Eyes Only eenmalig terug in de bioscoop. Op maandag 5 juni zie je deze klassieker bij Pathé.

@M_Balje

Kind of you to post this, sir, but please, you need to understand something. Apart from you, me and a handful of others, no-one here comprehends Dutch. Half of your post is lost on 99 % of our members. The number of people possibly interested in going to that specific cinema in the Netherlands is even smaller than the number of people who understand your post. You mean well of course.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Of course @M_Balje's post specifically targeted the Dutch-speaking portion of the board. I like seeing it and I'd enjoy hearing how the turnout and theater experience was there after the event. With translation for that, of course.

Tot ziens.
    Still bummed out by this news... while not my favorite take on the character, I don't to remind anyone his contributions to Bond, cinema or UNICEF. They're showing that TSWLM/FYEO double feature on June 4th in my town, I can't wait to attend.

I made a short tribute video - I'm glad I made it, not only to pay respect to a legend but it allowed me to re-experience some of his best moments as the character.

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    I've just watched this. Well done!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Great work @CrzChris4. So many absolutely unforgettable & iconic moments that will live on forever.

They were so far ahead of the game in those days, and they had right the man for the job. Mr. Unflappable.

My favourite is that shot of the Lotuses hood/bonnet at speed when Naomi's copter appears from below (0.39 to 0.46). Wonderful stuff.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, good job! Great to see so many fans making their own tributes.
    Ticket booked for Guildford Odeon on Wed, a bittersweet experience
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,314
    I was away on a trip when Sir Roger passed. I felt a profound sadness not only because of the obvious void it left, but also that I didn't have the time to properly write something on here to share with all of you, the only ones who could possibly understand how I felt.

I was very young when my family exposed me to Bond and I gravitated towards Moore's films right off the bat. I liked Sean (and later Timothy) as well, but I felt an instant and powerful attraction to Moore as Bond. Dad was a Connery man and so that also helped me to create my own identity with Roger being my Bond.

Moore as Bond, along with Luke Skywalker and Han Solo/Indiana Jones meant everything to me. They were my heroes and the impact they made on a little boy was immeasurable. The pure joy I experienced watching LALD and MR for the first time is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

My first ever Bond film in the theater was AVTAK. I was six years old that summer and I loved every second of it. I can't quite say that I view it in the same favorable light these days, but of course it will always hold a special place in my heart. To this day, it remains the only one of Roger's films that I've seen on the big screen.

As countless others have pointed out, even though I never met the man, I still felt like I knew him. He never let the fame get to his head and, by all accounts, had all the time in the world for his fans. And on top of that he was also involved in all of the charity work as well? The world will never be the same without him.

I'm sure it will be a different experience now whenever I watch one his films. It's still too soon for me, personally. However, I believe that he wouldn't want us to feel sad, but to laugh with him and enjoy every single second of this life that we can because it goes by so fast and no one knows when their time will come.

So, goodbye old friend. You were a great man and an underrated actor, even by yourself. You have left us now, but we could never forget you or how you lived life to the fullest. We were all lucky to have known you through your films, and as Bond fans we very much appreciate how you kept the series going, because without you there would be no Bond movies today. I truly believe that.

R.I.P. Sir Roger Moore.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    @pachazo lovely story, wel said. I certainly recognize parts from it for myself.

@CrzChris4 thank you for sharing your tribute.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nicely said @pachazo. Your sentiments echo my own. My dad is a Connery man too, although he likes Moore as well.

I made a short tribute video - I'm glad I made it, not only to pay respect to a legend but it allowed me to re-experience some of his best moments as the character.

Best one so far... brilliant work, mate.
    Roger Moore had great acting career & As a UNCEF Ambassador. The roles The Saint as Simon Templar, The Persuaders as Lord Brett Sinclair opposite Late Tony Curtis & James Bond 007 in7 films. There never be another like him.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432

Piers Morgan Life stories Roger Moore... Some non UK viewers may not have seen this, Roger is on fine form. :)

Eyes welled up watching this great man.
    Havin posted in a while here and was about to when news broke about Roger. Still in shock.
    I have fond memories of LALD TV premiere on ITV on a Sunday night. A picture preview in Look-In magazine, myself and my younger brother sitting down to watch it. Probably my favourite TV viewing of a Bond film debut.
    Loads of my classmates talking about it next day. Most talked about scene was the crocodile hop! Though the boat chase was also a highlight. For me there was lots to enjoy, Binders titles and the Wings theme song, the opening with M and Moneypenny, Teehee and his reappearance at the end (they missed a trick by not doing it with Hinx in Spectre!) The bus chase, Bond tricking Solitaire with Tarot cards, and Baron Samedi back from the dead at the close of the film
    Great Bond movie from a great Bond!
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    I know I'm a bit late for this, but all I can say is...

Silence. The rest can be silence. Roger was my first Bond, though I'm a Connery man through and through, I love all the Bonds in some capacity that made them all tolerable and fun to see.

And to think such a nice, cordial man did so much off the screen. He was not only a kind ambassador but a good friend who always had something nice to say about his fellow actors. He respected the stunt team, and was immeasurably fun-loving.We can all tell he was living the dream as being Bond.

Y"know, this also reminds me of all the endlessly cool things he recounts in his Bond on Bond book... things more than worthy of sharing...

"He's a bloody good OO7."-
    On Daniel Craig

"Hang fire, Jimmy!:
    - His take on Bond liking hot sake

Him ALWAYS wanting to be the bad guy, as he seems to be a fan of doing evil speeches (if my memory serves right) and not being on set all the time.

Him on getting his bus driver's licence on LALD - and musing that his mom would approve if he became a driver instead if his acting career tanked

Him recounting on Desmond trying to use the slot machine ring to nail a massive jackpot when filming of Diamonds wrapped up... sadly this didn't work, because the special effects guys went home. (Poor Q!)

His summary of Seymour Goldfarb Jr. - "...who thought that he was a daft English actor named Roger Moore. How could I pass a role like that?"

Him about a scene in Golden Gun where Q was supposed to demonstrate a fake camera spray gun that couldn't take pictures normally. Bond's reaction: "But there's one thing this little gadget can't do - take a picture." Q: "Yes, I'm working on that..."

Him on NSNA: "I didn't see it, and I probably never will. But then, never say never again, eh?"

(And last, but certainly not the least, and my personal favourite...) Him having lunch with Sean and Donald Sutherland during Octo and NSNA's breaktimes, with him lamenting... "It's a shame we [Sean] never got to do one together." We all share that little lament, don't we?

Farewell, Roger. You taught a 6-year old boy that... something... lay underneath a woman's clothing (no offence meant there, ladies), someone else other than Clint Eastwood could make a .44 Magnum look cool on screen, and a spy could go to space. Thank you for everything, Mr. Templar, Sir Ivanhoe, Mr. Finn, and (Honorary) Chief Inspector Jacques Closeau.

May the saints smile on you forever.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure if Pierce's longer tribute to Roger was shared or not, but here it is:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/pierce-brosnan-roger-moore-tribute-1202446432/
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I like how the fellow Bonds are/have been so respectful towards each other.
    One fond teenage memory :

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I wouldn't call it disrespectful, as he kinda had a point, but Lazenby did publicly voice his opinion on Brosnan, an opinion that Brosnan didn't take too kindly to. Brosnan did the same back. And I might be imagining it, but i'm sure that Connery has spoken of Dalton's supposed overly theatrical style. As for the rest, they all appear to get on.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I wouldn't call it disrespectful, as he kinda had a point, but Lazenby did publicly voice his opinion on Brosnan, an opinion that Brosnan didn't take too kindly to. Brosnan did the same back. And I might be imagining it, but i'm sure that Connery has spoken of Dalton's supposed overly theatrical style. As for the rest, they all appear to get on.

Never heard anything about that. If true, I feel rather bad for Tim as he was a big fan of the early Bond films and he wanted to return to that style. If the star of those films talks like that about your performance, that must be hard to digest.
    I read once that Connery thought Dalton "underestimated the role".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Never heard anything about that. If true, I feel rather bad for Tim as he was a big fan of the early Bond films and he wanted to return to that style. If the star of those films talks like that about your performance, that must be hard to digest.

As I said, I could be imagining it, but i'm sure Connery has made a comment about Dalton along those line. Some might say that was justified, but still. And looking at DAF, Connery wouldn't be in any position to call into question the performance of any of the other Bonds.
    I think any has the right to be judgmental on the other Bonds, and we do recognize some of the remarks are fair play.
    They are the Bonds and have every right even more than us to have their views upon the others. But I am quite sure that Roger Moore was the one they all got along with he was always passionate and a gentleman about most subjects and persons.
    His wit and professionalism shall be missed.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    They should have just taken Sir Roger's advise: "I found that if you can't say anything really nice about somebody, you shouldn't say anything at all."

That's from an interview with Sir Roger I listened to today (about his book 'Bond on Bond'), it made me laugh, this too;

Hinting toward Grace Jones, the interviewer asked Sir Roger how he'd deal with challenging leading ladies: 'You shut your eyes and think of England.'

:)
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    The more I think about it, The 'Moore' awesome impression Sir Roger made on me as a Bond fan

He is my favourite Bond.

The Spy Who Loved Me is my favourite Bond film.

A View To A Kill is my favourite Bond song.

Moonraker has my favourite opening sequence.

Zorin is my favourite Bond villain.

Incredible how his films sweep the board for me, I never really thought about it till these past few days.
This discussion has been closed.