Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• edited June 2017 Posts: 4,602
    It's so easy to sit at home with the DVD and streaming etc and forget these movies were always designed to be seen on the big screen. I was totally absorbed last night by both movies and it made me realise what a very different viewing experience it is. All of these productions need to be seen (and judged) by this criteria IMHO rather than sitting at home. So glad I was able to make it and I look forward to the next time I can see RM up on the big screen.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,602
    delete
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @patb, re: your deleted suggestion to get Arnold to finesse some of the old non-Barry scores, I wouldn't be in favour of this. I actually like some of the non-Barry scores very much (they're quite distinct and make the films stand out more, for good or bad). Arnold is certainly not the man I'd call for such a task either.
    patb wrote: »
    delete

I DO love your Cyberman impressions @patb ;)

• JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I'll be seeing FYEO on Monday, they don't show TSWLM in the Netherlands. Even though FYEO is my favorite Bond film with Sir Roger, I imagine TSWLM to be the more cinematic one.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189

Roger's like a lovely old granddad talking to his young grandson here.

"Lenny" has obviously been told what to say here but who cares.
    Hahaha "Roger Rabbit"...brilliant stuff again @BAIN123 .

God I miss the old man...by chance I'm watching an episode of 'The Persuaders!" right now !

Only one more left and then that's it ive seen the lot.
    Saw the double feature last night at AMC Empire 25 in Manhattan with another MI6 board member. Damn, I love those two movies. I think Moore's films might be the most purely cinematic of the Bond films.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It was a fine night at the AMC Hoffman 22.

A great moment: titles to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME close with JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. And he does.

A great moment: titles to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME close with JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. And he does.

I never thought of that !!
    That must be why they paired the 2 films together ,great spot @RichardTheBruce !!
    barryt007 wrote: »

I never thought of that !!
    That must be why they paired the 2 films together ,to correct the 'star wars Bond' of MR that got in the way in real life.....great spot @RichardTheBruce !!

Not to slight MOONRAKER which has its place, but the two films played well together last night. And not least with the first recognizing Bond was married, the next starting with a visit to her grave.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Terrific, thanks for posting.
  • RC7RC7
    Not to slight MOONRAKER which has its place, but the two films played well together last night. And not least with the first recognizing Bond was married, the next starting with a visit to her grave.

I agree. Really enjoyed it as a double bill. Showcased two very distinct sides of Moore, but both are still completely him. I also enjoyed the Gogol continuity, as fleeting as it it.
    Definitely items to compare. OO7 cocking his head and smiling at the pursuer alongside his car. One of the same minor henchmen on hand. The Lotus, used very differently. The always surprised Victor Tourjansky with his wine bottle. Gogol (and Rubelvitch) also a highlight as you said. The snow and the underwater action.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

That was cute, and hilarious.... "He looks like a plumber!" :)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 646

Rich, I absolutely loved that part at the end of TSWLM! Fifteen minutes later Jimmy Bond did indeed return in FYEO. Fantastic!!

It was meant to be, @ringfire211. Great we shared that experience.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 646
    My viewing last night here in Philadelphia (at AMC Neshaminy 24) was an absolutely magical experience. And I'm not exaggerating one bit! Anyone who remembers me from the James Bond board on IMDB remembers my undying love for Bond films in general (but the Roger Moore ones in particular!) so to be able to see these 2 Bond masterpieces on the big screen (and as a tribute to the passing of Sir Roger to boot) was truly something indescribable. I actually got a bit choked up during the viewing but not because of Roger's passing (I actually have a hard time doing that while watching his films because he's so charming and vibrant on screen - you can't help but smile) but because we will never see filmmaking of this order ever again. To be able to see on the big screen a "classic" Bond film from the Cubby Broccoli era (the best era of Bond-dom) is something we will never witness again. To just imagine what the audience must have felt like watching that incredible cliff ski jump with the Union Jack in 1977 on the big screen and now to seemingly step into a time machine and go back in time and experience that same thing yourself on the big screen is just a surreal experience!! I wanted to leap out of my seat right then and there!!! The incredible Marvin Hamlisch score as Willy Bogner and his team do the incredible ski stunts and then Rick Sylvester skiing off the ledge... just WOW!! Same with FYEO - what an experience to see it on the big screen! Those beautiful Greek locales, Corfu, Cortina and all to the tune of that lovely romantic Bill Conti score. Huge fan of Conti's rendition of the Bond theme (the track "Submarine" is sublime!!) and what a rush to see that great car chase on the big screen as Conti's "A Drive in the Country" track plays!

There really is nothing like watching these on the big screen. It's just not the same with the DVD or BluRay. To see my favorite film from 1977 and 1981 today in 2017 in my local theater on the big screen is just an amazing experience! Like I said, I was feeling wistful because they don't make films like these anymore. Bond films or otherwise. Even with the Bonds today they just have a different feel. I don't walk out of the theater feeling like I just saw the greatest movie ever. But I do with the old Bond films. I just appreciate the old-school filmmaking styles much more to those of today. When I watch those I really feel like I'm watching great cinema. The colors were sharp and vibrant and most of all natural. Not washed-out looking, single-toned, or color graded (case in point, SPECTRE). The beauty of the locations was captured naturally, the colors all there for us to marvel at. Jimmy Bond himself was elegant and sophisticated and witty, the music (score and song) stayed in your head for days after seeing the film, the women were breathtakingly beautiful, the villains absolutely "delicious", and the plots beautifully extravagant and at times outlandish but with the skill of great writers like Maibaum, Mankiewicz, and Wood and skilled craftsmen like Ken Adam and Peter Lamont this was all brought to life before our very eyes and we were entranced watching it all. Ah, the good old days. A bygone era. How I miss thee! And I'm only 36. Prior to this experience the only "classic" Bond film I saw on the big screen was YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE back in 2011. I had to travel all the way to New York State for this but it was worth it to see my favorite Connery film on the big screen. Besides, no Bond film deserves to be seen on the big screen more than a Lewis Gilbert film. His were the most cinematic!! That was a special screening because there we actually had a host (dressed in a tux) who introduced the film and relayed some trivia about the film to the audience, most of which we were already familiar with. There were YOLT posters in the hall too. It was one of those old theaters that showed old classic films. But last night's viewing was basically just a double-bill. No host or anything like that. Just the 2 films back to back with a 15 minute intermission. Also no previews, which was great!

Again, it was a magical experience. Loved every second of it. It's films like these for which cinema was created (not all the artificial superhero crap we get today like WONDER WOMAN or GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY or cheap horror and zombie apocalypse junk that feeds the feeble minds of today). When FYEO ended and it said "JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN OCTOPUSSY" I didn't want to leave. I just wanted to sit there and continue with the sublime OCTOPUSSY. Alas it was not to be :(

P.S. I was surprised at how few people showed up. I counted only about 10 people. I actually booked in advance because I was afraid they might sell out, what with it being just one single 6pm showing. Boy, was I wrong!
    I can't wait to see them on June 4th. The PTS of Spy and the rock climbing scene in FYEO are probably absolutely insane on the big screen. Really looking forward to it.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I can't wait to see them on June 4th. The PTS of Spy and the rock climbing scene in FYEO are probably absolutely insane on the big screen. Really looking forward to it.
    Absolutely!!! When that Hamlisch beat hits and we see the skis going down the slopes it's pure heaven! Hold on to your seat, buddy!! Then the camera pans back and we see the splendor of the Alps! Majestic!!!

In FYEO when Apostis kicks Bond off the cliff and Bond takes the plunge half way down you'll get a lump in your throat!! No kidding!!! Over the years, FYEO (along with TND) has gone up in my Bond rankings like no other Bond film. Superb film!!

My viewing last night here in Philadelphia (at AMC Neshaminy 24) was an absolutely magical experience. And I'm not exaggerating one bit! Anyone who remembers me from the James Bond board on IMDB remembers my undying love for Bond films in general (but the Roger Moore ones in particular!) so to be able to see these 2 Bond masterpieces on the big screen (and as a tribute to the passing of Sir Roger to boot) was truly something indescribable. I actually got a bit choked up during the viewing but not because of Roger's passing (I actually have a hard time doing that while watching his films because he's so charming and vibrant on screen - you can't help but smile) but because we will never see filmmaking of this order ever again. To be able to see on the big screen a "classic" Bond film from the Cubby Broccoli era (the best era of Bond-dom) is something we will never witness again. To just imagine what the audience must have felt like watching that incredible cliff ski jump with the Union Jack in 1977 on the big screen and now to seemingly step into a time machine and go back in time and experience that same thing yourself on the big screen is just a surreal experience!! I wanted to leap out of my seat right then and there!!! The incredible Marvin Hamlisch score as Willy Bogner and his team do the incredible ski stunts and then Rick Sylvester skiing off the ledge... just WOW!! Same with FYEO - what an experience to see it on the big screen! Those beautiful Greek locales, Corfu, Cortina and all to the tune of that lovely romantic Bill Conti score. Huge fan of Conti's rendition of the Bond theme (the track "Submarine" is sublime!!) and what a rush to see that great car chase on the big screen as Conti's "A Drive in the Country" track plays!

There really is nothing like watching these on the big screen. It's just not the same with the DVD or BluRay. To see my favorite film from 1977 and 1981 today in 2017 in my local theater on the big screen is just an amazing experience! Like I said, I was feeling wistful because they don't make films like these anymore. Bond films or otherwise. Even with the Bonds today they just have a different feel. I don't walk out of the theater feeling like I just saw the greatest movie ever. But I do with the old Bond films. I just appreciate the old-school filmmaking styles much more to those of today. When I watch those I really feel like I'm watching great cinema. The colors were sharp and vibrant and most of all natural. Not washed-out looking, single-toned, or color graded (case in point, SPECTRE). The beauty of the locations was captured naturally, the colors all there for us to marvel at. Jimmy Bond himself was elegant and sophisticated and witty, the music (score and song) stayed in your head for days after seeing the film, the women were breathtakingly beautiful, the villains absolutely "delicious", and the plots beautifully extravagant and at times outlandish but with the skill of great writers like Maibaum, Mankiewicz, and Wood and skilled craftsmen like Ken Adam and Peter Lamont this was all brought to life before our very eyes and we were entranced watching it all. Ah, the good old days. A bygone era. How I miss thee! And I'm only 36. Prior to this experience the only "classic" Bond film I saw on the big screen was YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE back in 2011. I had to travel all the way to New York State for this but it was worth it to see my favorite Connery film on the big screen. Besides, no Bond film deserves to be seen on the big screen more than a Lewis Gilbert film. His were the most cinematic!! That was a special screening because there we actually had a host (dressed in a tux) who introduced the film and relayed some trivia about the film to the audience, most of which we were already familiar with. There were YOLT posters in the hall too. It was one of those old theaters that showed old classic films. But last night's viewing was basically just a double-bill. No host or anything like that. Just the 2 films back to back with a 15 minute intermission. Also no previews, which was great!

Again, it was a magical experience. Loved every second of it. It's films like these for which cinema was created (not all the artificial superhero crap we get today like WONDER WOMAN or GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY or cheap horror and zombie apocalypse junk that feeds the feeble minds of today). When FYEO ended and it said "JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN OCTOPUSSY" I didn't want to leave. I just wanted to sit there and continue with the sublime OCTOPUSSY. Alas it was not to be :(

P.S. I was surprised at how few people showed up. I counted only about 10 people. I actually booked in advance because I was afraid they might sell out, what with it being just one single 6pm showing. Boy, was I wrong!

Great post. Wish I could have got to see these films on the big screen.

I agree 100%. They don't make them like they used to.
    I saw both Spy and FYEO last week on my blu ray and DVD too.

I enjoyed both but there does seem to be a noticeable difference regarding how certain locations are photographed.

Spy goes for a more cinematic approach with some carefully framed shots, obviously designed to be distinctive (Moore standing in shadow infront of that Egyptian monument for example).

FYEO seems more naturalistic and low-key. Almost like a high class holiday tv programme. The locations at times are slightly overcast (when Melina's plane flies in as she's meeting her parents) and less emphasis seems to be placed on all-out glamour.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia

Great story and thanks for sharing @ringfire211 . Shame there was such a small turnout. I'll actually be at that same theater on Sunday for the 2pm viewing. I absolutely can't wait and hopefully with it being a Sunday afternoon, a few more people get out.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Absolutely!!! When that Hamlisch beat hits and we see the skis going down the slopes it's pure heaven! Hold on to your seat, buddy!! Then the camera pans back and we see the splendor of the Alps! Majestic!!!

In FYEO when Apostis kicks Bond off the cliff and Bond takes the plunge half way down you'll get a lump in your throat!! No kidding!!! Over the years, FYEO (along with TND) has gone up in my Bond rankings like no other Bond film. Superb film!!

Guess what ? That was the same stuntman who did both stunts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Sylvester

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Some of you may not have listened to this yet but here is last weeks podcast from James Bond Radio, which paid tribute to Roger.

There's also a moving statement from his manager Gareth Owen early on in the programme.

http://jamesbondradio.com/tribute-sir-roger-moore-podcast-remembering-great-man/
    Check out Gogglebox on Channel 4 - they are watching TSHLM

"the hardest thing about being James Bond is not killing people...its coming up with all the one liners"

"what I love about it is the mildlessness"

"he's even flirting with the helicopter pilot"

patb wrote: »
    It's so easy to sit at home with the DVD and streaming etc and forget these movies were always designed to be seen on the big screen. I was totally absorbed last night by both movies and it made me realise what a very different viewing experience it is. All of these productions need to be seen (and judged) by this criteria IMHO rather than sitting at home. So glad I was able to make it and I look forward to the next time I can see RM up on the big screen.

Yes, yes, yes!. 100% Agree. I had a blast watching the films on the big screen. I want to see Moonraker and Octopussy in the cinema now.
    Don't know if anyone picked up on this but Sir Roger passed away on May 23, which is just a day short of when AVTAK premiered back in 1985, May 24.
This discussion has been closed.