Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    According to imdb, this is attributed to Connery:

"Timothy Dalton has Shakespearean training but he underestimated the role. The character has to be graceful and move well and have a certain measure of charm as well as be dangerous"

"I thought Pierce Brosnan was a good choice. I liked GoldenEye. Timothy Dalton never got a handle on the role. He took it seriously in the wrong way. The person who plays Bond has to be dangerous. If there isn't a sense of threat, you can't be cool."
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    @bondjames Maybe a bit harsh, but I get what Connery is saying about a slight lack of grace.
    So do I @Roadphill. I don't think he's wrong.
    Does Imbd give a source for that quote? It's not the most accurate website in the world, and I'd like to track down where Connery said that.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Jeffrey wrote: »

Just found that article myself ;) I do recall in another interview Sean said he felt Dalton was not nasty enough I'll try to find the clip. Think it was the ITV 30th Anniversary special, I had it taped on Vhs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is there a more appropriate thread for all this?
    Is there a more appropriate thread for all this?

spot on
    The 2nd one was from The Chicago Sun Times (June 2, '96) By Cindy Pearlman. Connery was interviewed on GE.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    This has probably been posted, but I'm not reading threads these days. Just wanted to drop it here as I thought it was lovely.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/pierce-brosnan-roger-moore-tribute-1202446432/
    In case this hasn't been posted.
    AMC theaters are having a special double feature screening of The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only to honor the memory of Roger Moore with half of all proceeds going to UNICEF on May 31st and June 4th. Details on screening locations are on the page. Happy viewing!
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amc-theatres-proud-celebrate-life-180100614.html
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512
    For any Londoners - I have a spare ticket (last minute drop out) for the Rog double bill tonight in Wimbledon. Highly unlikely, but if you're around and want it message me.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,554
    AMC theaters are having a special double feature screening of The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only to honor the memory of Roger Moore with half of all proceeds going to UNICEF on May 31st and June 4th. Details on screening locations are on the page. Happy viewing!

I am going tonight.

TSWLM was the first Bond film I ever saw in the theaters. I am not a big fan of FYEO...and didn't see it in a theater. I am anxious to see how it will play.

But more importantly, I am more than happy to send some money UNICEF's way. RIP, Roger.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,189
    A man called Piers Metterick from FBFO (who also has several links to Pinewood) shared this personal video Roger made for his mum last year, who sadly passed away from cancer a short time later.

With Piers's permission I'm sharing this video with you:
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That put tears in my eyes, @BAIN123.
    Thank you for sharing.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    A man called Piers Metterick from FBFO (who also has several links to Pinewood) shared this personal video Roger made for his mum last year, who sadly passed away from cancer a short time later.

With Piers's permission I'm sharing this video with you:

What a very special message to share. Thank you.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Beautiful. What a man.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

I'm in place at the AMC Hoffman 22 outside DC.

OO7 and counting.
    The MI6 building in Vauxhall Cross in London should have a space outside where they can put flowers, write condolences for that late Bond actor. And even light up a hologram-like memoriam on the building's wall something like:

IN MEMORIAM
    ROGER MOORE
    1927-2017
    WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

Along with his picture too!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Beautiful. What a man.

Yes.
    Just home from the double bill at the Odeon Norwich.
    Not as large of a crowd as I would have hoped but it was such a treat to see two amazing movies back to back on the big screen like that. It really was a wonderful way to celebrate the man and how versatile he was, owning two completely different movies like that.
    Just got back from Guildford, decent turn out. A pleasure to watch these two movies on the big screen and sharing the experience with other fans. I thought it would be sad but it was uplifting. I was ready for a third!
    Roger is a very kind person I think that's why universally he is respected and loved.
    Wow thank you @BAIN123 for that Sir Roger message,it just shows the man he was ,and still is.

And my step-daughter had cancer too so extra thanks .
    bondjames wrote: »
    According to imdb, this is attributed to Connery:

"Timothy Dalton has Shakespearean training but he underestimated the role. The character has to be graceful and move well and have a certain measure of charm as well as be dangerous"

"I thought Pierce Brosnan was a good choice. I liked GoldenEye. Timothy Dalton never got a handle on the role. He took it seriously in the wrong way. The person who plays Bond has to be dangerous. If there isn't a sense of threat, you can't be cool."

Sean also praised Tim. I remember an interview as Sean was promoting The Presidio in 1988, he was asked if he'd ever play Bond again. His response was: "I think one is too old, same as Roger was. And I think Timothy Dalton does ...very well."
    patb wrote: »
    Just got back from Guildford, decent turn out. A pleasure to watch these two movies on the big screen and sharing the experience with other fans. I thought it would be sad but it was uplifting. I was ready for a third!

Guildford is my nearest Odeon and I wish I'd been able to go. Unfortunately I start work at 6am weekdays. I did see 4 of his films last week though. Glad there was a good turn out.
    Due to work I was unable to make the Moore Double bill, alas the cinemas closest to me was a one night only showing.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I'll be at the June 4 matinee, wish they had a few more dates for those that can't attend. Though maybe there wouldn't be enough interest for a handful of dates apart from all of us JB fans on here.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TR007 wrote: »
    Just home from the double bill at the Odeon Norwich.
    Not as large of a crowd as I would have hoped but it was such a treat to see two amazing movies back to back on the big screen like that. It really was a wonderful way to celebrate the man and how versatile he was, owning two completely different movies like that.

I just returned, too. I was reminded of not only how much charisma RM had, but also how much better Bond films are on the big screen. TSWLM was especially terrific. FYEO plays much, much better, but I still found it plagued by missteps.

In all, a terrific evening.

I believe that the two films will screen again on June 4th.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I just hope these movies come to my country. I'm dying to watch them on a big screen.

I think Sean Connery is on to something when he says Dalton didn't project as much danger as Bond. That said, what Connery considers a weakness I consider a strength: Dalton feels real and down-to-earth, and when he gets in a hairy situation, I feel much more for him than, say, Daniel Craig --who may play a more emotionally vulnerable Bond, but still is damn threatening and can't help but feel in command of things-- or even Connery himself. I root for Dalton in a different way than the others. He's like my surrogate on the screen.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit. I'll just finish by saying that Roger Moore is, without a doubt, the Bond that feels the most like a hero!
This discussion has been closed.