Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of you have done this too but...
    In the past I've really enjoyed listening to Sir Roger commontate over his films while watching them on Bluray. It has given the films a new perspective and depth and a different way to appreciate them. What better way to spot things and learn than having the great man as your own personal tour guide.
    That's what I'm going to do again to pay my own little tribute to my childhood hero. Watch his Bond films while listening to him tell me about them all over again.

Roger kept giving to the franchise long after hanging up the walther. It's a small part of what made him so special.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    It is, was! He was a great ambassador for Bond, often appearing throughout the years. Premieres, BAFTA 50th Bond celebration, interviews, his 'evenings/afternoons with' the list is endless. Also I always got the impression he did all that because he wanted to, not because his agent had pressed him into it or it was part of a press junket.
    Sure he was often visible when he had a book or a tour to promote, that was his 'day job' but it was always done with such humour and friendliness. One only has to spend a time looking through YouTube videos or watching the DVD extras to see he was just a bloody decent man.
    He was one of the few remaining stars of yesteryear, the like of which will never be replaced.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I was thinking the other night about what exactly made him so special. It seems to me that he (perhaps uniquely among Bond actors?) has never had anything negative to say about the franchise, or displayed any impatience or irritation at being tied to the character forever. He simply took enormous and perpetual delight in the whole thing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Announcement of a tribute to Sir Roger Moore by screening TSWLM and FYEO in cinemeas around the world with 50% of proceeds going to UNICEF:

They picked the two best. I have never seen TSWLM in the cinema. I just might go.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Announcement of a tribute to Sir Roger Moore by screening TSWLM and FYEO in cinemeas around the world with 50% of proceeds going to UNICEF:

They picked the two best. I have never seen TSWLM in the cinema. I just might go.
    I'm definitely there for this. A dream come true. I wish they'd re-release all of them like this. I'd love to see LALD/TMWTGG/OP/MR on the big screen.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm definitely there for this. A dream come true. I wish they'd re-release all of them like this. I'd love to see LALD/TMWTGG/OP/MR on the big screen.

I would really like to go as well.

I hope there is a cinema in The Netherlands that will join in this tribute. I have already contacted a cinema chain, but at the moment they don't know yet if they are going to do so.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I was thinking the other night about what exactly made him so special. It seems to me that he (perhaps uniquely among Bond actors?) has never had anything negative to say about the franchise, or displayed any impatience or irritation at being tied to the character forever. He simply took enormous and perpetual delight in the whole thing.

Moore did have a lot of class and grace. He rarely complained and never started drama. He mostly held his tongue with criticism whenever he could. I could actually learn a lot from him.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,185

I hope there is a cinema in The Netherlands that will join in this tribute. I have already contacted a cinema chain, but at the moment they don't know yet if they are going to do so.

@Jeffrey you can check this website for updates on locations.
    there is one chain in Netherlands (PATHE) already, that will show For Your Eyes Only on 5. June:
    http://www.parkcircus.com/in_cinemas/upcoming_releases/1334_sir_roger_moore_tribute

Hope that i'll get a screening in Hamburg
    So worldwide isn t actually worldwide?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    So worldwide isn t actually worldwide?

Well, they are basically still organizing this, and looking for cinema chains worldwide who will screen those movies.
    Any cinema owner who doesn t know how loved Moore is, should step down.
    They should re-release TSWLM at least for the 40th anniversary later this year. A landmark film in my view which deserves a big screen presentation, not only for life long fans but also for newbies, who can see how great the Bond series has always been.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 308
    00Agent wrote: »

@Jeffrey you can check this website for updates on locations.
    there is one chain in Netherlands (PATHE) already, that will show For Your Eyes Only on 5. June:
    http://www.parkcircus.com/in_cinemas/upcoming_releases/1334_sir_roger_moore_tribute

Hope that i'll get a screening in Hamburg

Thanks @00Agent, Pathé is probably the biggest chain in The Netherlands and it's affiliated with the chain I contacted earlier today. Looks I'll be able to go :)
    Any cinema owner who doesn t know how loved Moore is, should step down.

Yes.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Yet another lovely story, this one posted by a member on one of the scooter forums I frequent - shared here with permission:
    My wife was in hospital some years ago and Roger's mum and dad were in the next room. They were very elderly so if one of them was taken in, the other would also be cared for at the hospital also. Roger popped in regularly and spoke to everyone to brighten their day. A true gentleman!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The more I hear of the man, the more I love him.
    I really wish Rogers career didn't go pretty much downhill after Bond
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Yes a shame he didn't take a more serious approach and reinvent himself as an elder statesman a la Michael Caine.

I suspect he wasn't too bothered after Bond and made the decision to focus on family and enjoying the rest of his life rather than working.
    i tend to think of Sir Roger as the closest we ever came to a Cary Grant Bond.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    i tend to think of Sir Roger as the closest we ever came to a Cary Grant Bond.
    Which is precisely why I'm a huge fan of both. They were friends, and are both heroes of mine.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great Video
    Getafix wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I suspect he wasn't too bothered after Bond and made the decision to focus on family and enjoying the rest of his life rather than working.

Also, a fair amount of time would have probably involved travelling around for his UNICEF duties.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent video.
    Tears in my eyes.
    Thank you.
    Roger will forever keep the British End up.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    It's been days now but I'm still crushed about this news. Something I never wanted to read about.
    Two nights ago I put The Spy Who Loved Me in, as that movie was a present for me on VHS on my eighth birthday and so Roger was really a presence in my whole life.

I expected to be sad but instead, I was filled with joy.

I really, truly adored this man and his life. I will be thankful for the rest of mine that I got to intersect with his existence for 22 years.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I'm not very good at writing eulogies, so I'll just post this in honor of this great man.

Roger Moore in Paradise
    TxSfsbK.jpg
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622

It's not only big screen, but new 4k digital versions which will be spectacular.
    I've seen all of the first 7 films in the full cinema 4k, at special screenings and the big TIFF Bond fest of 2012-13.
    Like seeing the movies for the first time.
    YOLT especially,was something else
    So I can only imagine what TSWLM will look like.
    These screenings will be sensational!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,441
    For your eyes only wil be in Dutch cinema on 5 June at 8.30 pm. Price € 8,50.
    All the money go to Unicef.

That's the good news, the bad news be only on 5 June and no subtitels.

Keep in mind you should be 12+ (PG13).
    For this screening there can ask for your id.

Let op:
    De leeftijdskeuring 12 jaar wordt strikt nageleefd! Jonger dan 12? Dan alleen toegang onder begeleiding van een volwassene.

Meer informatie waar de film draait:

https://www.pathe.nl/film/23132/for-your-eyes-only
    Als eerbetoon aan de overleden Sir Roger Moore, brengen we de Bondfilm For Your Eyes Only eenmalig terug in de bioscoop. Op maandag 5 juni zie je deze klassieker bij Pathé.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,639
    More shocked than sad , I suspected the last few yrs that one of the Bonds would pass but I always thought Sean would be the first. Sir Rog lived a long life and he also said we shouldn't mourn him (but it's hard not to , he deserves it)

"I have always joked that playing James Bond is a guarantee of eternal life"

Even Bond extras get fanmail , once you've been a part of the Bond legacy you won't be forgotten just like that & long after we're all gone the films will keep playing. Bond , like diamonds , is forever.
This discussion has been closed.