Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Like a few others have mentioned, normally these celebrity deaths just wash over me but even the eternally cynical Wizard is genuinely moved today. I guess it just goes to show how much we all loved the great man.

It was seeing dear old Rog nonchalantly ski off a cliff at the age of about 5 that dragged me into the world of Bond for the first time.

Truly, nobody did it better.

RIP Roger
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Oh man... this hit hard. While his run as Bond isn't my favorite, they are the most fun and always seem to cheer me up when I'm feeling sad.
    I'm currently watching the Bond films from DN to SP in order (on the Craig era right now) but I may have to stop and go back to the Moore era tonight. I think I'll watch The Spy Who Loved Me and maybe For Your Eyes Only after.
    RIP Roger Moore AKA Mr. Bond
    RIP Sir Roger.
    Nooooooooooo. The first Bond has passed away.

RIP to a wonderful man.

Once of the nicest actors you will ever come a cross.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I got a news alert on my phone and the first thing I wanted to do was to come here and share the sad news. I don't even remember if I got accustomed to his wit and personality by watching the Persuaders or the first Bond films in my life, but Roger Moore has always had a place in my heart.
    Rest in peace Sir Roger.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I can't believe it. Thank you Sir Roger for such an amazing impact in my life.
    For me its always been Templar or Bond that I enjoyed Sir Roger most,especially as a kid,although The Persuaders!' has grown on me a lot in more recent years.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Roger Moore was truly a great man with a wonderful heart. He'll be missed and certainly never forgotten.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo. The first Bond has passed away.
    Actually David Niven passed away in 1983.

But everyone knew it was bound to happen soon. I grew up on the Moore Bond movies, so being a part of my own history, this hurts more than I could imagine.
    I'm so shocked. I knew this would happen some day but I really thought Sean would go first. What a terrible day. I'm watching LALD tonight for sure!
    And Barry Nelson passed away in 2007. So the first Bond is, alas, no longer among us either.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    So, so, so sad. :(
    RIP Roger Moore.

Your Bond films will always be a cherished part of my growing up.

God bless Roger Moore. xxx
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    Very sad - not only was Roger Moore a wonderful performer and gave us 7 highly entertaining and re-watchable Bond films but he seemed like an good man and father. He'll be missed.

I think I'll be sitting down to TSWLM tonight with a healthy glass of whiskey.
    Requiescat in pace, Sir Roger. You made all of our lives a little brighter.
    The biggest and the best of them has left us, may he have taken his Saintly seat among the great with whom he belongs in the hereafter.

One of the truly original and wittiest of the 007 is no more the greatest ambassador of and for our favorite franchise shall no more grace us with his wit and gentle heart.

RIP
    Legend.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Still don't have the words, other than Roger will be more than missed, and I'll forever be in his debt for countless years of entertainment. You were a childhood hero of mine, good sir, and thanks for all you've done over the decades. A brilliant, kind-hearted legend.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Trully a horrible day, i am very sad to hear of the passing of Roger. I hold all 6 of them in equally high regard, it is just a very special circle of men and now the first of them has left the building sadly...

I hope that Roger left us with some peace of mind, and without any regrets, knowing that he lived his live to the fullest, which would have been enough for 10 man. And he brought joy to the life of countless people through his charities and movies, and will continue to do so...
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Saw the news on CNN.com, very shocked and sad. RIP Sir Roger.
  • 007bondUK007bondUK England
    Most of us grow up with a Bond and for me that was Roger Moore. This just makes a sad day even sadder :(
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    RIP to a fine gentleman.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Nobody Does It Better' playing on the radio right now. Love that they took the time to play this instead of the garbage of today to honor Moore.
    That's a nice touch @Creasy47 ,and TSWLM is on ITV this Sunday afternoon as well,by pure chance,since that was Sir Roger's favourite of his 7 films.
    Genuinely gutted right now. Obviously we all knew that one of them would pass eventually but even so I'm still in shock.

People often credit such and such as having saved the franchise but while Brosnan and Craig did a great job at relaunching it, I feel like Moore is the only one this applied to. He was living proof that the series could survive past Connery in a time where that was all up in the air and made the role his own in a way that no other Bond had. We take it for granted now that 'James Bond will return' but until Roger Moore, that wasn't really the case.

An amazing Bond but above all else he's always seemed to be a genuinely amazing human being and one that the world will miss greatly.

Definitely going to stick Spy on tonight in his honour. RIP Sir Roger.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,416
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/media/roger-moore-1927-2017-was-de-perfecte-james-bond-en-legendarisch-als-ivanhoe~a4496628

Mijn favoriete James Bond is niet meer.. Hij was MOORE dan dat, ook Engelse Paul van Vliet voor Unicef en natuurlijk The Saint en The Persuaders. Ook heel veel humor. Bedankt Sir.. :(

My favorite Bond is no more. Of course he whas MOORE then that, also the English Paul van Vliet for Unicef and of course The Saint and The Persuaders. A lot of humor. Thanks sir. .

Thanks Sir...

2032519_eb4c51aabc_m-300x300.png
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    On my way home now which is a good thing as people knew how shocked and gutted I am about his passing. So, it will be Moonraker tonight, with a stiff drink.

Sir Roger Moore was My Bond, My Hero.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    There were rumours he had been diagnosed with cancer around the same time his Step Daughter Christina died last July, unsurprisingly he never took the news very well. Jealous of those who met him. He was in Glasgow last year to do his audience with tour, I was out of the country at the time and missed it. Incredible even then with his wealth and illness he still committed to that tour, he must have known it was a goodbye. My Friend attended and said he was in fine form. What a legend.
    The strongest i felt about a celebrity death. Such a sad day.

R.I.P, Roger Moore.
This discussion has been closed.