Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• EmilioEmilio Palmyra, Nassau
    "When you were young and your heart was an open book..."
    Thank you Sir Roger.
    We all have our favourite Bonds mine was Sir Roger Moore and was also my hero. Sad loss and Fitting to Say Nobody Does It Better. Thank You Sir Roger Legend who won't be forgotten.
    Gutted, saddened, distraught at the news of my Bond sadly passing away today. He was my childhood and adulthood TV/Film hero and always will be. My overwhelming feeling though is for his wife Kristina and his three children and extended family. Having recently lost my father I know what those children no matter how old are going through.

Thank you Sir Roger for all the wonderful films and tv moments you have given the world over the years. Also for being an incredible Ambassador for Unicef raising awareness for the plight of children around the world.

Prayers and thoughts are with your family.
    I've watched an episode of the Persuaders! and had a few glasses of bourbon,no ice,just as RogerBond did in the Fillet of Soul in LALD.

I still cant believe he has gone.....
    RIP.
    Revelator wrote: »
    A wonderful story that shows what a sweet man Roger was:
    https://twitter.com/MrKenShabby/status/867036448037511169/photo/1
    Great story, thanks for posting.
    I would like to say more in this thread than I did on the RIP thread.

Losing the first EON James Bond is a tremendous loss. I wasn't ready for it and I'm still in disbelief. Roger Moore gave us a unique, fun, and extremely charismatic take on the Bond character. Whether you enjoyed or disliked his performances or his films (or felt a mixture), there was never any doubt about his high energy and dedication as Bond.

I will never forget when I was a kid and had caught an awful stomach illness, I sat in bed and watched The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) to make me feel better. Moore's humor and energy was infectious, and it helped me gain back my strength and happiness at that time. To date TSWLM is one of my absolute favorite Bond films, and without Moore at its center, it would lose its identity and not be as great.

The highlights of Moore's Bond career to me were LALD, TSWLM, and FYEO - all of which are very beloved Bond films to me. I never watched Moore in other films, but his performances as Bond just keep on giving, and I know they'll never be forgotten. Thank you for your James Bond, Sir Roger Moore - may you rest in peace.
    The last of a dying breed and a true icon.
    RIP Sir Roger.
    Nobody did it better and nobody ever will.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Man...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Boxing day 1982, the day that would have an impact on my life that continues even now. It was the day I saw The Spy Who Loved Me, the day I was introduced to James Bond and of course what better introduction, than Bond played by Sir Roger Moore.
    I recorded it off the TV, and watched it over and over. Then in the summer of 1983, a new Bond film. Octopussy. Well that was it. These are the two films I've seen more times than I could imagine. They both have such a special place in my heart. I grew up with Roger Moore Bond, yes Connery is the first. Dalton and Craig are better actors. But Roger Moore IS my Bond. He was my hero as a kid, and remains my hero. He will forever be my hero.
    I was fortunate enough to see him in October 2015 at his show, An Evening With Sir Roger Moore, and I was blown away at how much energy and enthusiasm he still had. His stories and anecdotes of his life in the film industry were a joy to hear. He certainly loved his fans, and we him. I went to bed last night hearing this news, being in shock. To wake to this reality, I'm still numb with pain. I know he wasn't a relative or even someone I knew personally.
    But that was the impact he had. He was the most gentlemanly, caring, humorous and charming actor that I have ever known. No-one ever has anything bad to say about Sir Rog, because there's no reason too. He was and is a Saint.
    I can only say thank you for the impact you've had on my life, you've made my life all the more enjoyable for following your movies, your TV shows and your charity work. You put a smile on all that knew of you, and nobody did it better!
    May you rest in peace Sir Roger, you truly will be missed.
    Does anybody happen to have the forward Michael Caine wrote for Roger Moore? Something along the lines of "You've succeeded in this industry despite having a heart of gold".
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote: »
    Boxing day 1982, the day that would have an impact on my life that continues even now. It was the day I saw The Spy Who Loved Me, the day I was introduced to James Bond and of course what better introduction, than Bond played by Sir Roger Moore.
    I recorded it off the TV, and watched it over and over. Then in the summer of 1983, a new Bond film. Octopussy. Well that was it. These are the two films I've seen more times than I could imagine. They both have such a special place in my heart. I grew up with Roger Moore Bond, yes Connery is the first. Dalton and Craig are better actors. But Roger Moore IS my Bond. He was my hero as a kid, and remains my hero. He will forever be my hero.
    I was fortunate enough to see him in October 2015 at his show, An Evening With Sir Roger Moore, and I was blown away at how much energy and enthusiasm he still had. His stories and anecdotes of his life in the film industry were a joy to hear. He certainly loved his fans, and we him. I went to bed last night hearing this news, being in shock. To wake to this reality, I'm still numb with pain. I know he wasn't a relative or even someone I knew personally.
    But that was the impact he had. He was the most gentlemanly, caring, humorous and charming actor that I have ever known. No-one ever has anything bad to say about Sir Rog, because there's no reason too. He was and is a Saint.
    I can only say thank you for the impact you've had on my life, you've made my life all the more enjoyable for following your movies, your TV shows and your charity work. You put a smile on all that knew of you, and nobody did it better!
    May you rest in peace Sir Roger, you truly will be missed.

Lovely.

For me he's always been the one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This has been a difficult day for me. As with some others here, celebrity deaths tend to pass me by. I normally remain detached. However, Sir Rog's passing, even at the ripe old age of 89, has left quite a void in me today. Like I've lost a good friend. Someone who I've known, loved and looked up to my whole life. Someone who has give me countless hours of joy and happiness. Someone who never let me down. I confess to tearing up a little as I type this.

I recall now a moment from my childhood when my parents and I were visiting India. I was about 8 or 9. While in Bombay we stopped off at a convenience store one evening. They had some old books for sale, and I noticed a black and white paperback entitled "The Films of Roger Moore" by John Williams. It was from the late 70's or early 80's, was used, and wasn't in the best of condition. However, it had lots of great photos of Sir Rog. I had to have it, and my father obliged. I was glued to it for the rest of our trip, reading up diligently on Sir Rog's life. The book's foreword was written by the late Bryan Forbes, director, screenwriter, actor, producer, novelist and one time head of EMI films and a good friend of Sir Rog's. It reads as follows:

"Perhaps the most amazing thing about him is that he has survived his good looks and basic niceness in a profession which hates even as it admires".

I'll always remember that. A gentleman through and through.

He would probably want us to celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing. I will watch TSWLM (his favourite Bond film) tonight. Hopefully there is some recognition for that film's 40th anniversary later this year. I wish Sir Rog would have been here to celebrate that with us, but regardless, I will still press on with acknowledging its (and his) greatness at the appropriate time.
    I'm watching finishing LALD right now. The funniest Bond film for me, and a terrific debut for Moore's Bond. I will watch TSWLM late tonight.
    Its nice to see so many members changing their avatars for a while in honour of the great man,including me.
    What a sad day. Roger Moore was a great James Bond, but by all accounts he was an even greater man. That's a decent epitaph.
    Vale Sir Roger, always missed but never forgotten.

"I've lost my charm!"
    "Not from where I'm standing"
    "
    bondjames wrote: »
    This has been a difficult day for me. As with some others here, celebrity deaths tend to pass me by. I normally remain detached. However, Sir Rog's passing, even at the ripe old age of 89, has left quite a void in me today. Like I've lost a good friend. Someone who I've known, loved and looked up to my whole life. Someone who has give me countless hours of joy and happiness. Someone who never let me down. I confess to tearing up a little as I type this.

I recall now a moment from my childhood when my parents and I were visiting India. I was about 8 or 9. While in Bombay we stopped off at a convenience store one evening. They had some old books for sale, and I noticed a black and white paperback entitled "The Films of Roger Moore" by John Williams. It was from the late 70's or early 80's, was used, and wasn't in the best of condition. However, it had lots of great photos of Sir Rog. I had to have it, and my father obliged. I was glued to it for the rest of our trip, reading up diligently on Sir Rog's life. The book's foreword was written by the late Bryan Forbes, director, screenwriter, actor, producer, novelist and one time head of EMI films and a good friend of Sir Rog's. It reads as follows:

"Perhaps the most amazing thing about him is that he has survived his good looks and basic niceness in a profession which hates even as it admires".

I'll always remember that. A gentleman through and through.

He would probably want us to celebrate his life rather than mourn his passing. I will watch TSWLM (his favourite Bond film) tonight. Hopefully there is some recognition for that film's 40th anniversary later this year. I wish Sir Rog would have been here to celebrate that with us, but regardless, I will still press on with acknowledging its (and his) greatness at the appropriate time.

Beautiful post and completely summons up how I feel.
    Very sad that this news is overshadowed by events in Manchester.

Sir Roger would no doubt have been devastated by hearing about it. Particularly as as so many children seem to have been impacted.

He lived an extremely full and it seems happy and generous life and always gave the impression of being immensely grateful for his massive good fortune. I'm saddened but also have to say that 89 is a great innings and that Sir Rog seemed to wring every last drop out of life, so really it feels more appropriate to celebrate a long life well lived, by someone who gave massive entertainment to so many people.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    This interview is a must for every Moore fan:

• edited May 2017 Posts: 533
    Sir Roger was the first James Bond I ever saw on the screen - movie or television. In fact, he was the first Simon Templar (aka the Saint) I ever saw. I'm still in a bit of shock over this. R.I.P. Sir Roger, R.I.P.
    What a week....Chris Cornell and now Sir Roger, the man who I grew up watching as Bond has left us. His legacy as Bond and the timeless impact he left on the role, is surpassed only by the knowledge of his humanity in his charity work, his humour and caring nature which came across to all.

I had the most fantastic pleasure to have met him "all too briefly", at a talk he did at the National Theatre when he released his autobiography. Being able to thank him for all the entertainment he had given me and for getting me into Bond was an honour; to have him reply to me that i was "most welcome, young man" in that unmistakeable voice of his was incredible.

My thoughts to his family and all the Bond family.....he will live on through his work and the timeless pleasure he has given us. Thank you Sir Rog, Nobody did it better.

• He did well. RIP.
    Devastating news today, so shocking even when I knew this day would always come. Haven't been on here for ages but wanted to return to pay my respects and share my thoughts on the legend that is Sir Roger.

A true gent, so humble and kind. He was my Bond growing up and brought his own style to the role which enthralled and enertained a new generation of Bond fans.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few years back and he was still as humble, charming and kind as he always had been.

A big heart, good soul and Bond legend.

RIP Sir Roger Moore
    I still can't believe it. You actually expect stars like Sir Roger Moore to live forever. It's not the case...:(. And you know what? I can't even watch a Bond film with Roger Moore now. Every time I watched a Moore-Bond-film, I watched it under the assumption that Moore himself was alive and commenting on it. Hence I listened to his commentaries a lot while watching one. But now...he's gone. I am devastated :-(. May you rest in peace Sir Roger Moore....
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    RIP Sir Roger forever Keeping The British End Up .
    I grew up watching Roger's Bond on VHS, and he'll always have a place in my heart. There's a documentary on Roger included with the Blu-Ray of Gold, one of his best non-Bond films (it was directed by Peter Hunt). In it you can see David Niven's son praise Moore as his father's heir and an underrated player of light comedy.

Remembering this, I realize that Roger Moore was the last of his kind--the suave, unflappable, lighthearted, kindly, and very English gentlemen, in a line with Niven and Cary Grant. There's no one acting today with Roger's savoir faire. He was first to deprecate his gifts, and they're still not fully appreciated: You need talent to project dapper aplomb and skill to play with light touch. Roger did far more than lift an eyebrow--he savored his roles as he played them, knowing when to step outside character to highlight an irony and deploy his charm, that playful complicity with the audience.

Bond would not have survived the 1970s without moving in a more comedic and lighthearted direction, and Roger was the best man for the job. He said The Spy Who Loved Me was his favorite, perhaps because he made the role his own in it. His first two Bond films were still in the Diamonds Are Forever mode--movies that didn't believe in themselves--and they made Roger's style look insubstantial and redundant. The Spy Who Loved Me was, despite its humor, a seriously-done epic, and it allowed Roger to pit his detachment and ironic commentary against the movie's monster-size scale and drama. And when the later Bond films floated down to earth, they allowed Roger to tap into his vulnerability--"the spark in his worried, squinched-up eyes" to quote Pauline Kael--and his good-humored warmth.

The latter quality is why some scenes from his first two Bonds, when he's made to imitate Connery, don't work. We don't buy the idea of Moore's Bond slapping a woman, because Roger isn't given to that sort of enraged brutality. Look instead at For Your Eyes Only, at the scene where he kicks Locque's car off a cliff. His anger is controlled, the usual ironic detachment transmuted to icy, calm vengefulness. The scene is so fine it reminds you how good some of his films could have been if they'd given Roger more material of that strength, more opportunities to act with sober coolness. You can also find it in the scene from The Spy Who Loved Me of him admitting to killing Anya's lover. The detachment behind his usual irony becomes the bedrock for a moment of direct honesty--no quips or raised eyebrows, just the admission of responsibility and a statement of purpose.

All this from an actor who delighted in mocking his own abilities! It's also there in his best non-Bond work--The Man Who Haunted Himself, Gold, Shout at the Devil (also directed by Peter Hunt), ffolkes, and much more. The world is much less charming place without Roger Moore.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I grew up watching Roger's Bond on VHS, and he'll always have a place in my heart. There's a documentary on Roger included with the Blu-Ray of Gold, one of his best non-Bond films (it was directed by Peter Hunt). In it you can see David Niven's son praise Moore as his father's heir and an underrated player of light comedy.

Remembering this, I realize that Roger Moore was the last of his kind--the suave, unflappable, lighthearted, kindly, and very English gentlemen, in a line with Niven and Cary Grant. There's no one acting today with Roger's savoir faire. He was first to deprecate his gifts, and they're still not fully appreciated: You need talent to project dapper aplomb and skill to play with light touch. Roger did far more than lift an eyebrow--he savored his roles as he played them, knowing when to step outside character to highlight an irony and deploy his charm, that playful complicity with the audience.

Bond would not have survived the 1970s without moving in a more comedic and lighthearted direction, and Roger was the best man for the job. He said The Spy Who Loved Me was his favorite, perhaps because he made the role his own in it. His first two Bond films were still in the Diamonds Are Forever mode--movies that didn't believe in themselves--and they made Roger's style look insubstantial and redundant. The Spy Who Loved Me was, despite its humor, a seriously-done epic, and it allowed Roger to pit his detachment and ironic commentary against the movie's monster-size scale and drama. And when the later Bond films floated down to earth, they allowed Roger to tap into his vulnerability--"the spark in his worried, squinched-up eyes" to quote Pauline Kael--and his good-humored warmth.

The latter quality is why some scenes from his first two Bonds, when he's made to imitate Connery, don't work. We don't buy the idea of Moore's Bond slapping a woman, because Roger isn't given to that sort of enraged brutality. Look instead at For Your Eyes Only, at the scene where he kicks Locque's car off a cliff. His anger is controlled, the usual ironic detachment transmuted to icy, calm vengefulness. The scene is so fine it reminds you how good some of his films could have been if they'd given Roger more material of that strength, more opportunities to act with sober coolness. You can also find it in the scene from The Spy Who Loved Me of him admitting to killing Anya's lover. The detachment behind his usual irony becomes the bedrock for a moment of direct honesty--no quips or raised eyebrows, just the admission of responsibility and a statement of purpose.

All this from an actor who delighted in mocking his own abilities! It's also there in his best non-Bond work--The Man Who Haunted Himself, Gold, Shout at the Devil (also directed by Peter Hunt), ffolkes, and much more. The world is much less charming place without Roger Moore.

Great and very fitting words! As much as I know that only Sean Connery was really James Bond, it was Moore's take of him in TSWLM ( my first Bond) that made me fall in love with the franchise forever.
    Alas, for the first time ever, our Bond actors aren't all alive at the same time.Such sad news.

Was going to say just that. End of an era.

Speechless. DisappointEd to hear that the great man is gone. Saw him in Belfast in November on his tour and he was excellent then. Going to be missed by a lot of people all over the world
    My first Bond and one of my hero's thankyou for so many great memories Sir Roger, you will never be forgotten and your charm, generous nature and legacy will last forever.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The only none Bond, Saint or Persuaders i have with him on dvd is "Bed and Breakfast" from 1991. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103784/

Biggest contrubution because of his death there can do is release the other seasons of The Saint in Netherlands. Season 3, 4, 5 and 6. If not Lime Lights Pictures, come on Barbara Broccoli and MGM/Sony/Fox.

I see that Roger Moore doing voice for animated movie for 2018, i hope he was finished.

His voice in the end scene of The Saint (1997)

Roger Moore in Pauw and Witteman in 2008 in The Netherlands:

This discussion has been closed.