Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Personally, I think if EON have learned anything from the casting of Craig in the role, the next Bond will be exactly like another Craig. Maybe not the same sort of dramatic actor as Craig, but an actor that's on the rise and that they can tie down to a longish contract. Which is why I think the majority of the next Bond's work will be in either TV or the theatre, with the occasional supporting role in a popular movie. I could be entirely wrong, but my gut tells me otherwise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Normally I would completely agree with you. It's just that the business situation of MGM (including possible future IPO) suggests to me that they will minimize risk and go with someone a little more provably bankable, even if that means doing whatever it takes to hold onto Craig for a little longer (including two films).

EDIT: of course they could hire a big name director like Nolan and then people will be focused on that, rather than the actor. That is indeed a possibility here.

I'm curious to see how this one plays out. It will be a very interesting changeover when it finally comes.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Normally I would completely agree with you. It's just that the business situation of MGM (including possible future IPO) suggests to me that they will minimize risk and go with someone a little more provably bankable, even if that means doing whatever it takes to hold onto Craig for a little longer (including two films).

EDIT: of course they could hire a big name director like Nolan and then people will be focused on that, rather than the actor. That is indeed a possibility here.

I'm curious to see how this one plays out. It will be a very interesting changeover when it finally comes.

Totally agree with this @bondjames .

• edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I don't know a lot about MGMs financial situation, but they've never meddled in the casting choice of Bond before, as they appear to be entirely happy with EON's past choices. I think it was more a case of Sony interfering in the production and future choices of Bond actor rather than MGM. Wasn't it that awful Amy Pascal that caused a rift last time round?

All I can say is, if I was the CEO of MGM, I'd cause as little obstruction as possible and let EON get on with doing what they do best, that is continuing to make money for the studio.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Aidan Turner impressed me in And Then There Were None. But I think they can and should pick someone more interesting.

He was good in it and after watching ATTWN I even suggested his name here. Then I thought twice and it struck me that: 1)he was playing an English stereotype in a whodunit and 2)he was not as dark and menacing as in the source material.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Aidan Turner impressed me in And Then There Were None. But I think they can and should pick someone more interesting.

He was good in it and after watching ATTWN I even suggested his name here. Then I thought twice and it struck me that: 1)he was playing an English stereotype in a whodunit and 2)he was not as dark and menacing as in the source material.

You're both correct. There is nothing offensive about Turner. He has a certain look that adheres to a generic vision many have of Bond, but for me he's simply (as hinted at above) not interesting enough. The facets he supposedly brings are found better elsewhere. The combination most attribute to him; a brooding intensity, is nothing compared with fellow bookies favourite, Norton. Granted, Turner may be aesthetically more Fleming, but in terms of delivering a performance that is at once charismatic, yet incredibly intense (at times psychotic), see Norton in Happy Valley. The guy blows Turner out of the water.

Several people have tested, as far as I'm aware (this is nothing new) and I'm sure Turner is one. Likewise many of the others, bar Elba, have also tested. As and when they recast, the landscape will, in part, dictate the decision,

Unless Turner has delivered something I'm yet to see even a glimmer of, I simply can't see him getting the gig. There just isn't the angle on which to sell his Bond.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    What kind of argument is that? Honestly, try being serious for once.

Answer the question, please. You just said that no one is getting cast in a lead role on a blockbuster film without carrying a film first.

Be god damn serious. Are you going to use Daniel Radcliffe as an example too, since he didn't have 20+ years of leading star experience before getting cast as Harry Potter? 'The Force Awakens' was not marketed as a Daisy Ridley film in the same way Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher or Edge of Tomorrow are indeed Tom Cruise films.

And Layer Cake was not marketed solely as a Daniel Craig vehicle either, in the same way as Mission Impossible is with Cruise. He's barely a main character in it.

But regardless, Daisy Ridley was cast in a 200 million dollar production when they could have just as easily gone with a more experienced 20 year old woman. And this new chap playing Han Solo doesn't appear to have carried a film on his own either, so when all is said and done, being a relatively under the radar actor is not a deal breaker when it comes to starring in big budget films.

There's no point talking to you, is there? Stop being so oblivious to what people are saying. Use actual, serious arguments please. The main marketing point of a Bond film is the lead actor playing Bond. Daisy Ridley was not the main aspect TFA rely on to sell the film. And why the hell did you bring Layer Cake into this? The film had a budget of less than 7 million dollars, it didn't need to be marketed as a Daniel Craig vehicle in order to make profit at the box office, but he did carry the film, and prior to that he had several films where he was the lead star.

Nobody is questioning Turner's talents or that his movie career will never take off, but he is not getting cast as Bond until he can prove he can headline a film.

'At the end of the day', as you say, Daisy Ridley is not in any way remotely responsible for the huge success of TFA, but whoever is in Bond 25, be it Daniel Craig or a new actor, will be one of the key aspects of the film's marketing and ultimately to the film's success.

+1. But I am questioning Turners lack of star quality and thus unsuitably to Bond.
    peter wrote: »
    Other than those wanting Hardy or Fassbender (and for various reasons I believe they will never be Bond (although I wouldn't mind seeing one or the other do it)), no one has been calling for a "star" to play the role.

@bondjames has listed the important components; one of the most important @Mendes4Lyfe, is not "acting" cool but "being" cool. IMHO that's Turner's downfall: he acts rather than "being" (and he seems to have only one dramatic face: bratty scowl)

By acting cool I meant 'acting'. Was Connery suave in real life...no....but oncreen absolutely. Is Craig cool in real life....no idea.....he is portrayed as guarded and fairly shy for a star.....but who cares because he is cool on screen.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    absolutely @suavejmf, I agree and I think we mean the same thing: "acting" is when I can see the mechanics of the actor as he telegraphs everything to the viewer in an obvious "actorly" way; then there's "being" in the SC and DC school of acting where, on screen, they just "are"... it feels effortless and doesn't seem as if they're "acting". That's true acting, isn't it? When we forget these are actors on a screen saying lines someone else wrote for them. The greats make it seem like a breeze (and it's not-- it's bloody hard work is what it is; so, for the above reason, I can't see Turner in the same class as DC)
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    I've been watching The Originals and I feel Daniel Gillies would be perfect to play James Bond. He seems so natural in a suit too which is what he wears primarily in the show. The way he walks and the way he talks, his mannerisms, simply perfect for Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hmm... Doesn't look bad.

52c9be1f4c22d8da94c455dea6059925.jpg
    peter wrote: »
    absolutely @suavejmf, I agree and I think we mean the same thing: "acting" is when I can see the mechanics of the actor as he telegraphs everything to the viewer in an obvious "actorly" way; then there's "being" in the SC and DC school of acting where, on screen, they just "are"... it feels effortless and doesn't seem as if they're "acting". That's true acting, isn't it? When we forget these are actors on a screen saying lines someone else wrote for them. The greats make it seem like a breeze (and it's not-- it's bloody hard work is what it is; so, for the above reason, I can't see Turner in the same class as DC)

Bang on.
    RC7 wrote: »

You're both correct. There is nothing offensive about Turner. He has a certain look that adheres to a generic vision many have of Bond, but for me he's simply (as hinted at above) not interesting enough. The facets he supposedly brings are found better elsewhere. The combination most attribute to him; a brooding intensity, is nothing compared with fellow bookies favourite, Norton. Granted, Turner may be aesthetically more Fleming, but in terms of delivering a performance that is at once charismatic, yet incredibly intense (at times psychotic), see Norton in Happy Valley. The guy blows Turner out of the water.

Several people have tested, as far as I'm aware (this is nothing new) and I'm sure Turner is one. Likewise many of the others, bar Elba, have also tested. As and when they recast, the landscape will, in part, dictate the decision,

Unless Turner has delivered something I'm yet to see even a glimmer of, I simply can't see him getting the gig. There just isn't the angle on which to sell his Bond.

I guess Turner is tall, dark and handsome in a way many perceive Bond to be. For strictly commercial reasons he might be the right choice the way Brosnan was when cast. But unlike Brosnan he's no heir apparent, he would not be succeeding a controversial and unloved Bond actor (whatever the Dalton fans say they were an endangered species back in the 90s) from a disappointing and shortened tenure and thus he won't be plebiscited. Which seriously diminishes his appeal.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited May 2017 Posts: 972
    Hmm... Doesn't look bad.

[img][/img]

Exactly! My top choice definitely! 41 yrs old currently and he'd be the first Canadian actor to play Bond if he gets picked. Speaks with a nice British accent in the show as well. Perfect.

33839016023_1f8131b86e_o.jpg
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,153
    RC7 wrote: »

I guess Turner is tall, dark and handsome in a way many perceive Bond to be. For strictly commercial reasons he might be the right choice the way Brosnan was when cast. But unlike Brosnan he's no heir apparent, he would not be succeeding a controversial and unloved Bond actor (whatever the Dalton fans say they were an endangered species back in the 90s) from a disappointing and shortened tenure and thus he won't be plebiscited. Which seriously diminishes his appeal.

Excellent post. I think he will be plebiscited, though - for one main reason. People are tired of a dramatic Bond. I would argue that Craig's style of Bond film is becoming dated, much like Moore's films in the 80's. We've been working from the same rough model for a decade now, and I think people are ready for something different like how they how something darker in the 80's (SP reminds me of FYEO, with Craig and Moore adapting their styles to try and satisfy audiences changing tastes). When you look at how things have changed since 2006, back then patriotism, populism, and overall merriment were at an all time low. It was all about gritty reboots, dour origin stories etc. That worked back then, but since we have seen a gradual culture-wide reawakening. People are ready for a good time at the movies again, and if you look at the new franchises starting up like Deadpool, they are a lot more irreverent. Who is the natural Ryan Reynolds for Bond - Aidan Turner. He is proving it in interviews, he has that same happy-go-lucky style Reynolds has and I think that, along with Chris Pratt of course, is the model for starring roles in the 2020's. The Bale, Craig, Jackson type leading man is a dying breed in today's cinematic landscape.

EON, if they are as smart as some seem to think, will have anticipated this shift. It may seem out of the blue, in the afterglow of Craig that Bond should take such a turn, but then again no one saw CR coming of the heels DAD. The idea of a irreverent Bond seems strange at the moment, because it's been so long, but it will be the new standard in the years to come.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I tried to explain my perspective on the matter...
    While I agree with your assessment that lighter fare is on the horizon @Mendes4Lyfe, I'm not sure if I agree that Turner is the man to bring us to the promised land. I will be able to voice a more informed opinion after I finally see And Then There Were None in a few weeks.

Chris Pratt is indeed a very good example of the kind of effortless rugged star quality they should look for going forward imho. He does humour very well in addition to having a little machismo.

Not sure if I would lump Bale in with Craig. He can do the easy going very well too, although I'll admit that his Batman films were on the deep side.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    While I agree with your assessment that lighter fare is on the horizon @Mendes4Lyfe, I'm not sure if I agree that Turner is the man to bring us to the promised land. I will be able to voice a more informed opinion after I finally see And Then There Were None in a few weeks.

Chris Pratt is indeed a very good example of the kind of effortless rugged star quality they should look for going forward imho. He does humour very well in addition to having a little machismo.

Not sure if I would lump Bale in with Craig. He can do the easy going very well too, although I'll admit that his Batman films were on the deep side.

Just to be clear, I don't think that the character in ATTWN matches up with how Turner would play the role of Bond. He's playing a headstrong, virile male, but not Bond and certainly not his Bond. I believe that Turner would play Bond far looser, and have fun with it. The character he plays in ATTWN is quite severe by comparison, more like a Dalton than a Brosnan.

When I first saw him in it in Dec 2015, I thought he would more a Dalton type. It's only after watching some interviews with him on YouTube that I found his true character. And this is where I think many people have problems seeing him as Bond. He has never really played a laid back, irreverent figure. Both in Poldark and in ATTWN he is playing serious, stoic men. I mention this because one of the criticisms I see made of Turner is that he doesn't have presence or that he appears stiif and too much like he is acting and not simply being. I think that's because, just like Brosnan a bit in GE (another similarity with Broz!), he is not really playing to his strengths. As soon as you look at him in interviews he is completely bubbly, jovial, not taking himself seriously. That's perhaps why he seems so stiff to some.

But when you compare him with Reynolds and Pratt, suddenly it starts to make far more sense. Those actors get to bring their natural warmth and humour onto screen with them, instead of leaving it on the door. That's why I'm convinced Turner can make a good Bond.

P.s. I'm not at all saying that And Then There Were None isn't worth watching - far from. It's a great show, and Turner definetly demonstrates a lot of positive Bondian traits. It just occurred to me recently that he may not play Bond that way, and I wouldn't want that false perception to colour your experience.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ok, thanks for clarifying. I'm really looking forward to finally checking it out, as a Christie fan.

I'm not sure I would lump Reynolds in with Pratt either though. Pratt has skills. Reynolds finally hit the big league in costume, but isn't worthy of comparison. Useless actor imho.
    Hmm... Doesn't look bad.

52c9be1f4c22d8da94c455dea6059925.jpg

Now he looks like bond
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Are you serious about this Gillies guy?
    Anyone holding his cuffs s/b disqualified. It's becoming a cliche.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another good point.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,601
    I dont think, people are tired of the more dramatisch approach. Au contraire, its what was wrong with Spectre. Its too damn light. Too Moorish. And I love my Roger, but each tone has its Time.

Spectre too light and too Moorish? We must've been watching different films.
    Fassbender would be perfect now but i'm afraid its a bit too late, craig can do 25 and possibly 26 he's so established and a proven winner. in the future even in summer 2017 it's too early to be sure some unknown guy around 30 for sure. perhaps a guy like hiddleston?

charlize theron is releasing a jane bond movie this summer as "at0mic blonde" maybe a hint this bitch is a suggestion for the next bond, what a joke!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    “Wouldn’t that be funny?”

Jim-Carrey-Not-Funny.gif
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I've just discovered a chap called Theo James. Not seen his name mentioned on here before. 32 years old, British, can act and looks like he would kill you in a moment if the mood took him. He looks a bit unhinged in a good looking way, decent quality for Bond.
    Please no. I'd sooner have Robbie Coltrane take up on the gun than let Theo James come anywhere near it.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Interesting, he's a new one on me. Has he been discussed before, was the general consensus that he is shit?