Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    TWINE. While poorly executed at times and badly cast, it has a higher degree of difficulty in its premise: a Bond girl who is the main villain. TND is just too formulaic.
    TWINE

It is a flawed film but Sophie Marceau cancels out Richards and beats the socks out of Hatcher.
    Eelekra King is a better villian than Carver
    PTS is better and cigar girl scores big
    Better premise but it does better than its predessor.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    For me, TND. Because of the action scenes, and that in this one the parking pursuit has conquered me. I had been very disappointed about TWINE that hasn't any car pursuit, although the Boat pursuit was awesome.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TND

Both are in the mediocre catergory of Bond films for me, and whilst TWINE is an ok entry, I simply prefer TND.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TWINE purely based on doing ip-dip-do.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    TWINE. It had better moments and it wasn't a paint by number action film.
    Though TND was somewhat formulaic all the way through, a lot of TWINE was lame melodrama.

Tomorrow Never Dies for me. It follows the formula to the tee, but hey, the James Bond formula is one I can enjoy.

11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    15. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
    17. The World Is Not Enough (1999) - 6/10
    Terry Hatch-her Never Dies, TND much more better than TWINE, better actions and better Bond girl
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The World Is Not Enough. It's not as much as an action shoot an up, for I think it's better, just...
  • They both sucked in my opinion but the lesser of two evils is TND.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited February 2012 Posts: 3,262
    TND, easily. It's less pretentious, moves faster, Brosnan and Arnold are in better form. It's the more "tick the box" entry of the two but I'll take a formulaic series entry that accomplishes what it aims to do rather than a more pretentious one that bites off more than it can chew. I prefer Sophie to Michelle but I prefer Teri to Denise. Pryce trumps Carlyle.
    Two of my least favourites but TND is quite good when it is Germany. While TWINE got it wrong all the way through.

TND
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 660
    TND better Bond girl......
    TND.

Better action, far better locations and better score!
    I thought I might be in the minority on this one but it's TND for me.
  • TND
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TND I like Yeoh and Brosnan.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    Although i'm setimental to TWINE because it was the first Bond movie I could see at the cinema, TND has a slightly more Bond feel to it (still in small measures mind). I think Pierce's Bond films got progressively worse with each entry. TND was his second best.
  • The World Is Not Enough easily, no need to elaborate here
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TND

At least the script wasn't complex in a forced way.
  • TWINE. Always been a favorite.
    My apologies for such a late return!

TND wins with 19 votes over TWINE with 8 votes. Kind of brutal!

All right, let the next round commence!

For Your Eyes Only vs. The Living Daylights
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,351
    I can't vote on this one. I love them both and will have to rewatch them to decide.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Easily TLD. John Barry music, a Bond actor better suited to a more serious Fleming portrayal, much more chemistry between Bond and his leading lady, and a more exciting final battle give TLD the edge for me.
    Easily TLD. John Barry music, a Bond actor better suited to a more serious Fleming portrayal, much more chemistry between Bond and his leading lady, and a more exciting final battle give TLD the edge for me.

Yeah, the final battle in TLD easily trumps the dull ending of FYEO. It was a disappointment during my last FYEO watching to see how boring and lackluster the finale was. Such a shame too, because the rock-climbing sequence is really cool!
    For Your Eyes Only...
    The Living Daylights for me. Once upon a time, I would have rated these two films closely together, but a somewhat recent re-watch affirmed my love for TLD.

For Your Eyes Only is a fine Bond film, but it is started by and ended with a stupid scene. I do like 'Blofeld' giving Moore a 'fright' in the helicopter, but that delicatessen line is just so stupid. The film does get a lot better post title sequence, but loses a bit of steam after Bond kicks Loque off the cliff. And to wrap it all up: a Margaret Thatcher impression? Ha-wha?

The Living Daylights to me is just a better film all the way around. Better leading lady, better villains (mainly for Necros), better Bond (though Moore was in good form in FYEO) and a more interesting twisty turn-y plot. And that cargo net fight is one of the best action pieces in the entire series.

6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
    9. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    10. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    Oh dear, my favourite Bond film versus my second favourite Bond film.

Has to be FYEO...

"Apostis....one of Kristatos' killers..."
  • There are many things in life I cannot comprehend sometimes. Tomorrow Never Dies winning an overall majority over The World Is Not Enough is just such a thing

In any event, while Dalton is my favorite Bond, Daylights seems a bit stifled sometimes, For Your Eyes Only has more range to roam and well there's more going on actually

Daylights is a fine adventure, but does get dull now and again especially in Central Europe. FYEO has some exciting locales and an excellent teaser, shame about the Easton effort but on this day it takes the honors in this particular contest
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There are many things in life I cannot comprehend sometimes. Tomorrow Never Dies winning an overall majority over The World Is Not Enough is just such a thing

Agreed.

I have to go with TLD over FYEO. Dalton's portrayal was just more convincing than Moore's ever was, and the short story that launches TLD is probably Fleming's strongest.