Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• 00Beast wrote:
    TSWLM was the movie that I watched over and over as a kid.Its maybe my thrid or fourth favourite. Always will have a soft spot for both films but to be perfectly honest, I would rather watch TSWLM.

Me too. GF is really boring, and can't hold my interest for very long. Also, I despise Pussy Galore and the music. No, I don't dislike John Barry or anything, but the score is annoying! Also, Goldfinger himself can be quite cheesy at times. And another thing, GF has possibly the most boring second half of any Bond movie to date.

Pussy Galore isnt a preferred Bond girl in my book. Yes, the movie is quite boring as well.
    00Beast wrote:
    TSWLM was the movie that I watched over and over as a kid.Its maybe my thrid or fourth favourite. Always will have a soft spot for both films but to be perfectly honest, I would rather watch TSWLM.

Me too. GF is really boring, and can't hold my interest for very long. Also, I despise Pussy Galore and the music. No, I don't dislike John Barry or anything, but the score is annoying! Also, Goldfinger himself can be quite cheesy at times. And another thing, GF has possibly the most boring second half of any Bond movie to date.

Pussy Galore isnt a preferred Bond girl in my book. Yes, the movie is quite boring as well.

Such a shame that we have to go through the boring hour and thirty minutes to get to the spectacular Fort Knox climax!
  • This is the toughest one thus far. Both films are iconic classics in their own way.

I'm going to plump for The Spy Who Loved Me, but only by the slimmest of margins, and mostly for nostalgic reasons (and, of course, for Ken Adam on top form, for Rog finding his groove, and for that stunt.)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GF
  • I have to go for TSWLM. Better movie overall - GF is iconic, but incredibly dull.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Goldfinger a million times over!
    00Beast wrote:

You know even though I chose GF over TSWLM I think your comments on GF may be due to the fact that the film is so badly dated. It has not survived the test of time (FRWL holds up so much better). In spite of all this I like it better than TSWLM just too campy and silly and Barbara Bach is rather annoying. It is better than MR but that doesn't say much.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

You know even though I chose GF over TSWLM I think your comments on GF may be due to the fact that the film is so badly dated. It has not survived the test of time (FRWL holds up so much better). In spite of all this I like it better than TSWLM just too campy and silly and Barbara Bach is rather annoying. It is better than MR but that doesn't say much.

Well I don't know, dated or not, it's just too dull and boring to make it a favorite. This is due in part to the locations and the lack of action after the DB5 chase around Auric Enterprises.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Samuel001 wrote:
    In fact I can't stand The Spy Who Loved Me, box ticking at it's worst.

I would give AVTAK that title.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    No. I prefer Moonraker to The Spy Who Loved Me.
    slyfox wrote:
    Yes. And I also prefer MR because:
    -The score so much better.
    - Bach is completely wooden in TSWLM. Naomi was under-used.
    - I adore Corrine and Manuela in MR.
    - I find TSWLM rather slow and drab. Submarine scenes in Bond don't do it for me either. MR is more entertaining and the pace is great. It's pure popcorn fun!
    - I find Strongberg extremely dull. Drax is the more interesting of the two.
    - Both have a great stunt in the PTS (though I prefer the skydive - there's more to enjoy).
    - Locations are varied and exciting in both but I prefer MR's use of them.
    - Sets are magnificent in both but MR's slightly more memorable.

I know Moore regards TSWLM as his favourite, but I think he was terrific in MR. I admit that Jaws was poor (and pointless in MR) and the film is not perfect by any means, but I would still say it probably makes it into my top 10, TSWLM is no where near.

I enjoy reading when folks prefer MR to TSWLM. Please remember to post when we get to TSWLM vs. MR.
    00Beast wrote:
    No, I don't dislike John Barry or anything, but the score is annoying!

I looooove that score. It's mid-1960's sense of jazzy fun makes it a joy to listen to for me.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    You know even though I chose GF over TSWLM I think your comments on GF may be due to the fact that the film is so badly dated. It has not survived the test of time (FRWL holds up so much better).

I think FRWL(and TB and YOLT) all benefit from better locations and are less studio-bound than GF. I'm still quite fond of GF although its studio-boundness is its worst aspect.
    I'd prefere The Spy who Loved Me, because Goldfinger is boring a little. Also, Honor Blackman acted too old.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    In fact I can't stand The Spy Who Loved Me, box ticking at it's worst.

I would give AVTAK that title.

t.

I would give that title to Goldeneye.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,492
    W_PPK wrote:
    IAlso, Honor Blackman acted too old.

WTF?

I'd give the "box ticking" title to TND.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,341
    How can you guys knock the music? The most recognizable music from Bond is that haunting Goldfinger theme.(listen to "Alpine Drive" on the soundtrack if you get a chance)

Only the James Bond theme is more recognizable around the world.

Also at the risk of getting hit in the mouth, lets stay on subject: GF versus TSWLM and keep MR out for now.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    W_PPK wrote:
    IAlso, Honor Blackman acted too old.

WTF?

I know she's a fine actress but I didn't really find her that alluring in Goldfinger, she was the oldest of the Bond girls at the time, about 37 years old, it's not that so much, I don't mind an older Bond girl, it's just that Ms Galore was a bit banal and uninteresting
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    She is still the oldest Bond girl. There hasn't been another of 37 years of age or older.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    She is still the oldest Bond girl. There hasn't been another of 37 years of age or older.

Maud Adams was 37 when she played Octopussy.

edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    actonsteve wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Maud Adams was 37 when she played Octopussy.

My mistake. Blackman was actually 38 when she filmed Goldfinger, so with that corrected the point still stands.

I never knew Adams was 37 though, she looked good for her age.
    Well regardless of her age, I still thought she was hot. Pussy Galore....
    Only problem I have with Ms Galore in the movie was how she was supposed to be an experienced pilot and she just goes all "damsel in distress" when the plane went out of control. Pilots, especially private ones are highly intelligent and keep their heads in a crises. This was a glaring plot hole for me.

Doesn't change that fact that 38 year old Honor Blackman was hot.
    Okay, sorry for the delay!

TSWLM: 13 votes
    GF: 14 votes

Another close match, but Goldfinger beats The Spy Who Loved Me by just one vote

All right, the next round has commenced:
    Octopussy vs. GoldenEye
    Octopussy
    Octopussy.
    GoldenEye, for all the right reasons!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited February 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely OP. Cold War setting and plot when the Cold War was still with us, John Barry music, Moore as Bond, the exuding of a greater confidence in the Bond product and a more exciting and suspenseful 2nd half give the 1983 007 film the edge for me in this matchup.
  • Octopussy all the way. It's pure fun. This is the second time I voted for OP on this thread (previously against QOS). It's a centimental favorite.
    Octopussy.
    While Octopussy beats Quantum of Solace, it doesn't beat my choice: GoldenEye.
  • Octopussy>QOS>Goldeneye. Atleast in my opinion.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    GE, but barely.
    Octopussy

Though GE is Brosnan's best film, I choose my favorite Roger Moore film over it.