Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• LALD
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Risico wrote:
    From Russia with Love by a mile. I have a confession to make - I don't enjoy Thunderball! I don't understand why it's included as one of the early greats. Bond is drowned by gadgets, the middle act is a mess and Connery is started to look bored in the role. My problem is that Terrence Young was hired to do a movie that is clearly trying to build on the more outlandish, almost Avengers-style tone of Goldfinger, and I don't think it suited him. For me, either Guy Hamilton should have directed it, or Terrence Young should have been permitted to make it more in the style of his previous efforts on the series, ie. lighter on the gadgets and heavier on the characterisation.

It's LALD vs TWINE now.

In which case, by the way, I vote LALD.

Neither ranks very high on my list but TWINE is definitely in the bottom three. The script came very convoluted, almost as if P&W thought that complexity equals quality. Well, it doesn't if along the line one plot hole after the other materializes. Also, the acting throughout this film is abysmal. Who ever conceived the notion of Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist has a lot of fantasy. The music...? Oh boy. My favourite part of this film is the PTS. After that, fun's over.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm difficult one. Neither are ranked that highly but I don't think either are terrible. I think LALD edges it though. Its better written, more exotic and has a better theme song.

I still don't think TWINE is that bad though. I must be one of the few that isn't that bothered about Denise Richards' presence. Yeah she's a pretty bad actress but what about Gloria Hendry?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LALD by a landslide. TWINE is just horrible.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    LALD Roger's first outing is greatly superior to Pierce's third (and fourth. Combined).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Live And Let Die though going by many fans' rankings I tend to overrate this film. I love it, I really do and can't understand why!
    Both two are good.
  • Favorite Moore outing against Favorite Brosnan turn out but I have to go with the former. Both are very good movies, interesting, fine actor performances but Live and Let Die wins for me, it has more elements and points to rack up, McCartney and Wings and Seymour play a big part too, it's more adult fare than kids too I think sometimes, and there's a minimum on future Moore nonsense. All said, both releases are impressive but LALD wins this particular joust
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    LALD for me.

I can buy Jane Seymour as a psychic and Geoffrey Holder as a voodoo doctor a lot more than I can buy Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    TWINE

I like LALD, I think it's Moore's second best, but I prefer to watch TWINE way more than LALD.
    Both are with their faults, but I'm going to give it to Live and Let Die. I mostly prefer Pierce Brosnan to Roger Moore (performance wise), but this contest is an example of an exception. The World is Not Enough is far too melodramatic, and Brosnan completely falls flat on his face playing Bond. I like Renard (though he's underused), the excellent pre-titles chase, and a couple of oddball scenes, but overall TWINE is sub-standard.

Live and Let Die is more of a fun ride, even though the film itself goes on for 15-20 minutes too long. It has a good villain in Kananga, and two great, underrated henchman in Baron Samedi and Tee Hee. Jane Seymour is my favorite Moore Bond girl and McCarney's theme tune rocks. As for Moore himself, he plays the role fairly conservatively but is far better than Brosnan's TWINE performance. JW Pepper is a pitfall, but not nearly as bad as he would be in Golden Gun (ick).

14. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    15. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
    17. The World Is Not Enough (1999) - 6/10
    LALD for the following reasons:
    Better Girl
    More interesting bad guys (very colorful, no pun intended)
    That boat chase scene
    Better Soundtrack
    Kerim wrote:
    LALD for me.

I can buy Jane Seymour as a psychic and Geoffrey Holder as a voodoo doctor a lot more than I can buy Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist.

Is Denise Richards as a physicist really that much worse than Britt Eckland as an Mi6 agent in MWTGG?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Kerim wrote:
    LALD for me.

Is Denise Richards as a physicist really that much worse than Britt Eckland as an Mi6 agent in MWTGG?

If you consider the fact that Mi6 like everyone else had lowered their standards in the 70's.
  • TWINE!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2012 Posts: 5,979
    Eep, the dangers of simultaneous posters.
    The World is not Enough

Better action, better plot pacing, and a better Bond performance. LALD comes very close though, and I almost voted for it. However, I re-evaluated the situation and decided that TWINE needs to get my vote, because I just like it a little better than LALD.
    Live and Let Die by a very, very long way!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 940
    Neither make my top 10, certainly not TWINE. I vote LALD though and I agree with this:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    LALD for the following reasons:
    Better Girl
    More interesting bad guys (very colorful, no pun intended)
    That boat chase scene
    Better Soundtrack

LALD for me, mainly because of Jane Seymour vs. Denise Richards.
    All righty-then, it appears that Live and Let Die has won over The World is not Enough by quite a landslide! On that note, we'll keep moving right along on to the next round.

Goldfinger vs. The Spy Who Loved Me
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I'd go for GF on this one. I like Spy very much but Goldfinger is just...it's Goldfinger ;)
    Goldfinger
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TSWLM for two very large, very important reasons: No Auric Goldfinger, No Shirley Bassey.
  • I usually fall asleep during Goldfinger, the film is a Narcoleptics paradise

The Spy who Loves Me is chalk and cheese in that respect, so much going on and it does keep the interest, plus it has Barbara Bach too so there you go
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Better action, more interesting plot, better pace, better locations, better music, and better Bond.

TSWLM is currently in my Top 5, while GF is WAY down at #20, so a really big difference there!
    Goldfinger.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TSWLM.
    Often associated by much of the general public as quintessential Bond films, but I've never been a fan of either. Both Bond performances are great, but I dislike too many of the other elements with these two.

Whilst I find the locations in GF very poor in comparison, it still beats TSWLM over all.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I too think Goldfinger has the edge and is the clear winner though as a whole both aren't that great. In fact I can't stand The Spy Who Loved Me, box ticking at it's worst.