Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS. They are both in my top three, but the importance of Tracy in the Bond canon puts it over the top.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited January 2012 Posts: 1,812
    The only thing DAF has over TMWTGG is Tiffany Case. She is one of the better Bond girls.

I don't know how you can say that. She's so much more useless than Mary Goodnight (and how in the hell can you be more useless than her, you ask?) because she does, almost literally, nothing the entire movie. She shoots herself off of an oil rig, she such a stupid twit that she puts the real tape back in, for God's sake! At least Goodnight killed a henchman, and I really wish I was the button she backed into on Scaramanga's console.

Excuse me... I meant she was one of the better looking Bond girls.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    This is a tough one! I think I'm going to have to go with TLD. It wins because of Dalton and IMO it had better action scenes.
  • Both are great but I'm giving my vote to OHMSS. It just has a better script and much better villans.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    OHMSS easily. Daylights is good but just doesn't have the...umph of Majestys despite Dalton being the more experienced leading actor.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    OHMSS easily. Daylights is good but just doesn't have the...umph of Majestys despite Dalton being the more experienced leading actor.

A younger Dalton would've been amazing in OHMSS but not 25 as he was in 1969. Dalton in his early to mid 30s in OHMSS would've been perfect.
    OHMSS hands down in this one.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    for me, TLD - I just like the film better overall, Dalton and D'Abo are good together, it hangs together as a better plot for me, and with an upbeat romantic ending.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Too easy, TLD wins (in every category) without breaking a sweat.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2012 Posts: 7,854
    TLD Dalton would have made OHMSS far better, had he not declined the role.
    OHMSS

TLD is a quality product. But IMO, any Bond film 1962-1971 can't be topped.
    OHMSS easily, better movie, a better bond, better music score, better actions, the skiing scene is awesome much much better than riding on a cello, better storyline, dramatic ending, and Lazenby were more believable in fight scene than Dalton...
    The Living Daylights.
    More action, better Bond the Cold War theme and that escaping thrue Iron Curtain...
    But. OHMSS's got one really nice thing – Tracy Bond...
    The current score is:

OHMSS: 12
    TLD: 12

Oh wow, this one's going to be good! Keep voting!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    The one where James Bond was 007....... oh wait.

OHMSS love here!
    TLD for me, love the pre-titles, love the score love the fight on the plane at the end.
  • OHMSS
  • TLD because of the great action and the cold war plot. And of course it has the best bond of all time, timothy dalton
    And the tie continues, 14-14! In just about six hours we'll announce the winner, so for anybody who hasn't voted yet, get those votes in!
    Both firm favourites of mine but OHMSS gets my vote. I hated the film and Lazenby's Bond as a child, now I see the light.
  • Both are in my top 4 but OHMSS is 1:st and TLD 4:th so OHMSS is my vote.
    My mistake for being late on this, but we have a winner! OHMSS wins with 16 votes over TLD, with 14 votes. As always, on to the next round:

Live and Let Die vs. The World is not Enough
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    TWINE. I'll just say TMWTGG was a big improvement over LALD.
    LALD
  • LALD
  • This might be the easiest decision. Live and Let Die by a mile. Classic Bond easily wins over an easily fooled, emo, corpse loving Bond.
    TWINE was an atempt to do something different with the wrong people and is pretty much at the bottom of the pile.

LALD is a pleasure from start to finish. LALD.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LALD. I think it's underrated in the series.

From Russia with Love by a mile. I have a confession to make - I don't enjoy Thunderball! I don't understand why it's included as one of the early greats. Bond is drowned by gadgets, the middle act is a mess and Connery is started to look bored in the role. My problem is that Terrence Young was hired to do a movie that is clearly trying to build on the more outlandish, almost Avengers-style tone of Goldfinger, and I don't think it suited him. For me, either Guy Hamilton should have directed it, or Terrence Young should have been permitted to make it more in the style of his previous efforts on the series, ie. lighter on the gadgets and heavier on the characterisation.