Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Dr. No is the stronger of the two but not by a lot. Both great and both have style I think as well as great villains, alleys, locations etc. and even action.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN easily. Dalton vs. Davi and Connery vs. Wiseman are both great but Andress easily trumps Lowell for me. Plus, DN has more of that classic Fleming era "feel" to it. Interesting that both of these films feature a calypso song called "Jump Up".
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Apparently the story of LTK was inspired partly by Yujimbo (remade into A Fistful of Dollars).

However the thing with that film is that, in some ways, it has a very 'generic 80s thriller' vibe about it. DN is Bond through and through and has more connection with Flemings work (I know LTK has some Fleming but on the whole the story is made up).

Plus Connery's: "I think they were on their way to a funeral" can't be beaten ;)
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 12,837
    LTK LTK LTK LTK by a long shot. I get that dr no was the 1st one and it was special, but I never really enjoyed it, it always bored me. While FRWL and goldfinger were packed with excitement, dr no is pretty slow paced and boring up until the final scenes. And connery didn't really feel like he did in his other films to me, he only really started being bond in FRWL. Connery was good but he was better in his next few films. And dr no was a good villian but sanchez is better, he's more intimidating and he's more realistic. And dario>>>3 blind mice.

LTK has the best bond ever (dalton), its villian is one of the best in the series, and it has awesome stunts (plane water skiing, plane fishing, great truck chase), and bond going rogue was new and LTK took a huge risk by doing it. LTK does the gritty, dark thing well and it does it with a great late 80s feel, and a brilliant finale. LTK is my fave bond film and I think it deserves more praise.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    LTK

This one was kind of tough but I have to go with LTK. It just reminds me of good times when I was a kid... because I remember it when I was a kid, not beacause I was doing the things they did in LTK. :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LTK.
    Doctor No because it has Connery and it is a very good little thriller, LTK is Miami Vice without a decent leading actor and not as good as the series.
    Licence to Kill
    Well, this is a great match! We're getting votes from both sides almost equally. The current score is:

DN- 10
    LTK- 12

Keep those votes coming!
  • Licence to Kill
    I have to say LTK. I tried to think about all the good points both films have and weigh them up, but that was taking forever, so I just asked myself "if I was going to watch one right now which would it be". On another day I could be persuaded otherwise. This I one of the best pairings i've seen in this thread.
    Steven wrote:
    I have to say LTK. I tried to think about all the good points both films have and weigh them up, but that was taking forever, so I just asked myself "if I was going to watch one right now which would it be". On another day I could be persuaded otherwise. This I one of the best pairings i've seen in this thread.

Glad you like it! I tried to get one which, generally, everyone sees in close rankings. Also, both feature a hard-edged, serious 007, and sadly, both suffer from poor location work as far as sets and locations are concerned.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dr.No

It's a superior film full of trademarks and iconography and has a superior cast and set of characters.
    LTK- 14 votes
    DN- 11 votes

License to Kill beats out Dr. No, and now we're moving on to the next round!

Diamonds Are Forever vs. The Man with the Golden Gun
    I choose DAF over TMWTGG.
    DAF
    My vote goes to Diamonds Are Forever

The biggest factors here are the villains and the score, which trump TMWTGG heavily. As for Bonds, I actually like Moore better in TMWTGG than old, gray-haired, slow Connery in DAF. As for action, they are both even, with maybe two scenes as a stand-out, but then the rest not too special. DAF's is the elevator fight and the car chase in Vegas. TMWTGG's is the fight in Saida's dressing room, the fight with Chula, and the car chase. However, DAF's climax is better than TMWTGG'S probably, though neither are top-notch. At least DAF's has machine guns and explosions! Overall, DAF wins by a little bit.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I am very surprised that LTK beat DN...very surprised.

Anyway, I'm going to go with Diamonds Are Forever. Both DAF and TMWTGG are in my bottom five, but I prefer Sean Connery to Roger Moore and I've always appreciated DAF's elevator fight. Golden Gun just really doesn't do it for me on any level and is my least favorite entry in the series. DAF isn't too far ahead, but it is the film I prefer.

18. Diamonds Are Forever (1971) - 5.5/10
    19. Moonraker (1979) - 5.5/10
    20. A View to a Kill (1985) - 5.5/10
    21. Die Another Day (2002) - 5/10
    22. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) - 5/10

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever is the stronger of the two, it has better humour which just about pulls it through for me.
  • This is a really tough one. Aside from DAD these 2 are the worst. I'll give to DAF but not by much.

#22- Die Another Day
    #21- The Man With The Golden Gun
    #20- Diamonds Are Forever
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Golden Gun. At least it tried to take itself seriously.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here's my last minute LTK v.s. DN:

I have to go DN
    -Better Bond IMO
    -It started all the magic
    -Best intro and line
    -The introduction of the gun barrel and PTS/theme/Bond theme
    -Sean Connery!!!
    -Great ruthless Bond moments
    -Great allies and interesting villain
    -Awesome locations
    -Worthy ending
    Wasnt Golden Gun recently pitted against TND?

Whatever. I will go for Diamonds for its witty sassy script.
  • The Man With The Golden Gun.

It seemed rushed out and certainly needed an extra year in production, but it still has great moments, a superb villain, and Maud Adams. I just wish Rog hadn't been so angry throughout the movie...
    Golden Gun for me. I have never really like DAF, not sure why!
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Golden Gun because of Christopher Lee.

Regarding DAF, a few witty lines in an otherwise dull, sluggish film doesn't cut it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Oh this is close... DAF is 3rd and TMWTGG is 1st in my ranking... so Moore wins again !!
    DAF for me. Weak entries for both Bond actors but whilst they both go for the camp, comical style, DAF pulls it off much better. Some far more memorable one liners too. One of my favourites:

"That's quite a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm agreeing with DC007, TMWTGG, but for completely different reasons. Chief among them: NO Shady Tree.