Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited January 2012 Posts: 2,341
    You Only Live Twice easy!

I like Moonraker, it doesn't deserve the hate it gets, but YOLT is just a better film; it's in my top five. It has a better story and the most beautiful music in any Bond film. To this day I don't see what everyone is talking about when they say they can tell Connery didn't give a damn in YOLT; I think his acting is as great as it is in the other Bond films.

Connery just looks bored. Check him out in the volcano scenes and in Blofeld's presence. He looks so zzzzz. The light hearted fun and penance he shows in GF and TB are totally lacking in YOLT. He's also overweight.
    But of course I still rank YOLT over MR
    MR
    Just because I find it a more fun watch, Moonraker.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MR
    I love them both...

But it has to be YOLT which is the Bond team (except Sean) at the top of their game. Its a production design masterpiece.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Connery just looks bored. Check him out in the volcano scenes and in Blofeld's presence. He looks so zzzzz.

Truth be told, if I was in a room with Donald Pleasance's Blofeld, I'd fall asleep, too. He speaks too softly to be considered a viable threat (not to mention the man lives in a friggin' volcano, how many ways are there to trip and fall in the lava?).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Keeeel Bond! Now!

YOLT
    YOLT: 17 votes
    MR: 9 votes

You Only Live Twice is the winner!

All right, on to the next round, where we'll get a match-up between Moore and Craig with:

Octopussy vs. Quantum of Solace
    I love Quantum of Solace. I think its a good solid film with some stunning art direction.

But my heart is with OP.

My third favourite and the inspiration for me to visit India and visit Udaipur.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Octopussy by far. More fun, better plot, better characters, better Bond girl, better title song, better action scenes and frankly a more engaging performance from Roger Moore aswell.

A Moore entertaining film all round ;)
    OP is my favorite Moore film. It had me from the beginning. Great villians (loved Louis Jourdan, "Octopussy, Octopussy.." ) That Soviet general Orlov, Gobinda, even the knife throwing twins. Better plot and not too "all over the place". Good blend of humor and action. My vote:

Octopussy
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 562
    Another tough one! I really want to say QoS, but the nostalgia that goes along with Octopussy wins this one for me.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Think I'm going to have to go with Octopussy.
    QoS is a good one but OP has the better story and it's just a fun film to watch.
    Octopussy

A very entertaining Bond movie that combines awesome action with a dangerous Cold War plot, excellent villains, and stunning location work. Easily the win for me, though i do like QoS as well. Both have good action and locations, but OP's villains and of course, Roger over Daniel, makes OP win for me.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Octopussy is the clear winner this time.
    If it hadn't been for the editing I would say QoS, but OP for me also, mainly due to some fantastic scenes in East Germany.
    Octopussy. One of Moore's best Bond films.
    Dr_Metz wrote:

Considering ur not a fan of CR, are you a fan of QoS?
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely OP. One of the most entertaining of the post-1960s Bonds versus the least entertaining film in the series. I can watch the 1983 one over and over again and still enjoy it. Plus, it provided me with my username.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    OP by a landslide.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:

It's a better film than CR IMO, but not by much. I can sit through it, which is more than I can say for CR. Although the shaky cam was not needed. It also seemed like the film cuts to a different shot every 3 seconds, which was extremely annoying.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:

It's a better film than CR IMO, but not by much. I can sit through it, which is more than I can say for CR. Although the shaky cam was not needed. It also seemed like the film cuts to a different shot every 3 seconds, which was extremely annoying.

Disagree that Royale isn't as good but there we go :)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    QoS I liked OP's second half (minus Moore dressing like a clown) for all the Cold War stuff, but QoS trumps it.
    QoS I liked OP's second half (minus Moore dressing like a clown) for all the Cold War stuff, but QoS trumps it.

The clown thing suits the scene though. He needs to get into the circus.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I'm going to give this one to Octopussy. The story holds together pretty well, and despite some pretty tosh sight gags (George of the Jungle, the hot air balloon), Octopussy is a solid Bond entry. Quantum of Solace, on the other hand, is underwhelming in just about every way.

12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    15. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    BAIN123 wrote:

I have to agree. I thought the clown scene was well done. It's not like ran around spraying water at people. It was a disguise. Ironically enough, It's probably one of Moore's more serious scenes.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I have to agree. I thought the clown scene was well done. It's not like ran around spraying water at people. It was a disguise. Ironically enough, It's probably one of Moore's more serious scenes.

IMO the people who complain about that scene need to watch the movie again.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

This is sickeningly true, but my main problem is that Moore looks... wrong as the clown. Whichever Double-Oh at the beginning dressed up as a clown, he fit (maybe because we never saw him outside of clown-wear).
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Octopussy of course. QoS is boring, unoriginal and slow.
  • Agent005 wrote:
    Another tough one! I really want to say QoS, but the nostalgia that goes along with Octopussy wins this one for me.

I think you nailed it for me there. Great match up! Two of my favourites.

I love QoS..but my youthful years as a Roger fan mean the OP wins...just.