Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

TSWLM
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TSWLM is a great film in that it's fun and enjoyable but still a silly entry into the series. Fortunately some of the silly moments are fantastic and brings a smile to my face every time. The locations are exotic, Moore is very much comfortable in the role and the film itself overall is pretty epic. Now, Bach IMO was horrible. Occasionally nice to look at but I've seen more life in an empty grave yard compared to what she brought and I personally think Jaws is overrated. He was cartoonishly tough but IMO his gimmick was poorly handled. Now, Naiomi, she was gorgeous, definitely top 3 Bond girls in the Moore era. However, I think as great a movie as TSWLM is, it lacks a few things that doesn't quite put it in the same class as OHMSS and I think people are realising this more and more as the series continuously is subject to inspection. I've already cast my vote for OHMSS but wanted to give a reason as to why I didn't pick what many would have presumed to be a conventional favourite.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    TSWLM but only just.
    doubleoego wrote:
    TSWLM is a great film in that it's fun and enjoyable but still a silly entry into the series. Fortunately some of the silly moments are fantastic and brings a smile to my face every time. The locations are exotic, Moore is very much comfortable in the role and the film itself overall is pretty epic. Now, Bach IMO was horrible. Occasionally nice to look at but I've seen more life in an empty grave yard compared to what she brought and I personally think Jaws is overrated. He was cartoonishly tough but IMO his gimmick was poorly handled. Now, Naiomi, she was gorgeous, definitely top 3 Bond girls in the Moore era. However, I think as great a movie as TSWLM is, it lacks a few things that doesn't quite put it in the same class as OHMSS and I think people are realising this more and more as the series continuously is subject to inspection. I've already cast my vote for OHMSS but wanted to give a reason as to why I didn't pick what many would have presumed to be a conventional favourite.

I second the above sentiments. Yes, Moore was finally comfortable in the role and he hit his stride with his third outing but face it. I always felt that OP was his best film. Naomi did not have enough screen time and Jaws, though more menacing than in MR, was kinda cartoonish in this movie. I never liked Bach from the time she first appeared on film and always felt that she was overrated.
    OHMSS by a country mile
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I think we can probably safely call this one in favor of OHMSS. When's the next matchup, 00Beast?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If we're open to suggestions, I'd like to see the results of a For Your Eyes Only vs. Octopussy match up, as I personally find both so evenly matched.
    I think we can probably safely call this one in favor of OHMSS. When's the next matchup, 00Beast?

Sorry for the delay, and yes, I'd say that OHMSS wins this by a landslide. The next round begins at this very moment, again very sorry for the delay.

Thunderball vs. Octopussy
    Thunderball
    Agent005 wrote:
    Thunderball

You seem to always be the first one to vote Agent005! I like the enthusiasm! Hahaha.
    I just always seem to be on exactly when you change the line-up. :))
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 401
    Thunderball by far. One of the best Bond films ever made.
    Agent005 wrote:
    I just always seem to be on exactly when you change the line-up. :))

Hahaha, well that's fine too!
    Thunderball for me. Octopussy is a solid Bond film, but Thunderball is a classic.

5. Thunderball (1965) - 8.5/10
    6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
    9. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    10. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    VERY VERY close call here. I think I'd have to go for Octopussy by a margin although both are easily in my top 10.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Octopussy, by a tentacle.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited February 2012 Posts: 3,262
    Both great and both dealing with a nuclear bomb scheme by the villains. OP is certainly one of the best and most entertaining Bond films made post-1960s. However, the 4th Bond film represents 1st generation 007 cinema at its apex with Connery and Young at the top of their form as well as the best bad girl in the series with Miss Paluzzi.

I vote for my all time Bond favorite: TB
    edited February 2012 Posts: 581
    Octopussy-
    I love OP but TB is the better film

so TB it is...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TB

Rousing adventure, sexier ladies, beautiful locales, great Sean performance, shows Bond feeling real pain after being shot, the best underwater fight scenes ever, brilliant PTS and song by Tom Jones.
  • Octopussy
    Octopussy is definitley top 5 for me, Thunderball just drags on too much for me, so OP by a long way.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My favourite Roger Moore film, versus my second favourite Sean Connery entry.
    I'm sure it will struggle this round, but I'm sticking with Octopussy.
    Shocker.
    OCTOPUSSY
    I've always loved this film and never get tired of it. TB is really good on but doesn't tie Moore's film...
  • Octopussy is the series' great surprise for me. I vaguely remember loving it as a kid, and being creeped out by the clown at the beginning, but then didn't see it for years. I think I must have pigeon-holed it as 'silly' because of the Tarzan yell, the Gorilla suit, etc. They are the bits which detractors always point out. After re-watching the film, I was amazed. It's actually one of the most entertaining films of the whole series. Moore is superb; the glamour is there, the romance is there, it's FUN from start to finish.

I enjoy Thunderball, and remain convinced of Connery's supremacy as Bond, but in a straight fight, my heart will rule my head, and I'm plumping for the underrated,

Octopussy

Thunderball, by far. 10 minutes of underwater scenes cut out, or sped up, and it would be perfect. By far my favourite Bond, and one of my favourite films overall.

Best babes, best gadgets, Connery at his finest, great one liners, terrific acting. Even the underwater scenes - the biggest flaw in the film - are superbly shot.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Octopussy is strong but Thunderball is even stronger. It's classic 60's Young Bond and gets my vote.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited February 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Thunderball And by my count, it is now 9 to 8 in favor of Thunderball.
    This is closer than I thought it would be. TB is so well beloved among us Bond fans but I have to cast my vote for :

Octopussy