Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

The World is not Enough (1999)

More plausible plot, better villains, better action, and I prefer Brosnan over Moore with these two.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Gee, I would have to say Moonraker in terms of entertainment, plus there's a lot more happening in this film. TWINE, on the other hand has a more plausible plot as mentioned above plus the PTS is definitely one of the best in the series (although MR PTS is also pretty good). In my list, MR sits just above TWINE. Both are great films, however.
    Both films aren't too great, but I'll give it to The World Is Not Enough by a small margin. At least it doesn't have the double taking pigeon and Jaws falling in love.

17. The World Is Not Enough (1999) - 6/10
    18. Diamonds Are Forever (1971) - 5.5/10
    19. Moonraker (1979) - 5.5/10
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Let's see. One of the funnest, most enjoyable, and least pretentious Bond films versus one of the dreariest, dullest and most pretentious Bond films. MR wins easily.
    TWINE because I enjoy seeing Denise Richards in a wet, white shirt.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 14,051
    Volante wrote:

As opposed to Roger in a wet, grey shirt?:

http://www.bigflax.com/Movies/myob/images/moonraker-snake.jpg

*shrugs shoulders* Oh, well. Each to their own, I guess... :-??

;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    No question about it. MR
  • The World Is Not Enough
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 501
    TWINE because MR is the worst film of the series, this doesn't mean that the film is bad, I actually like it, the same way that I like DAD, I like it less than the rest, so I think it is inferior. I love its PTS, which I think is one of the best of the series, and everything goes all right untill Jaws falls in love. And it gets even worse when they go to outer space, and Jaws helps Bond. Look this film was made instead of For Your Eyes Only, the one which had been anounced at the end of TSWLM, just because the success that Star Wars had had. I think they could have done a great film sticking to the novel. I think that the Bond girl was quite good, so was Bond, but Drax and the whole plan is quite too cartoonish.
    TWINE is instead Brosnan's second best film, after Goldeneye. It has a great villaness a great henchman (yes I consider Renard more like a henchman than a villain). The only three buts are: 1 the Bond girl, 2 the guy with those wierd teeth and 3 Zukowski dieing. Even though part of the PTS is made in the city I hate most (Bilbao, I'm from San Sebastian and almost all of San Sebastian's inhabitants hate Bilbao) I still like it.

So yes my vote goes to TWINE
  • Let's see. One of the funnest, most enjoyable, and least pretentious Bond films versus one of the dreariest, dullest and most pretentious Bond films. MR wins easily.

Couldn't have put it better myself. If I can use one word to describe TWINE it's pretentious. Atleast MR is honest about what it is.
  • The last contest was a real tough one, this one is relatively easy. Love it or hate it, Moonraker is an extraordinary achievement. The astounding work put in by the legendary Ken Adam (Moonraker is the most beautiful of all the Bond films to look at), the incomparable king of miniatures Derek Meddings, and the jaw-dropping stunt team (Dickie Grayson dangling over the cable car without a harness. CGI be damned!) deserves the utmost respect from Bond fans.

Throw in a Roger Moore on form ('You missed, Mr Bond!' 'Did I?' *sniper falls from tree*. Just perfect.) a beautifully haunting soundtrack from John Barry, a villain in Michel Lonsdale who has enough great lines to fill four movies, a director in Lewis Gilbert who just knows how to pull off such epics, and the overall eye-popping audacity of the whole thing, and you have a formidable production. Not for everyone, of course, but a huge, swaggering, leviathan of a Bond film.

Moonraker achieved an Academy Award Nomination (for Best Visual Effects) which places it in a rare spot among the Bond films.

As Cubby Broccoli said with justifiable pride, on the Moonraker set, "WE know how to do these things!"

Yes you did, Cubby, and we miss you.

It isn't my favourite Bond by a long shot, but, taking the film on its own terms, as epic, twinkling, unpretentious escapism at its most bold, count a proud vote for Moonraker from me.
    Moonraker
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TWINE : 20th
    MR : 2nd

MR by a landslide.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 940
    Moonraker.It's got an excellent score by John Barry, maybe the single best PTS in the series IMO, and Roger Moore having a blast as usual. Call me crazy but I think MR is underrated.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Moonraker is soooo underrated it makes me mad. Great flick. People that complain about going into space forget that most of the film (the first 1:30) are spent down on earth. It's only like less than 30 mins that he spends in space.

Yes and Yes. Plus Corinne, Manuel and a much better use of locations. Moonraker.

The world is not enough for me.

Brosnan is a stronger bond
    Denise Richards is hot
    the plot is far more interesting
    Denise Richards is hot
    the locations are amazing
    Denise Richards is hot
    the action is much better
    Did i metion Denise Richards being in the film and being super hot?

Plus bond isn't in space. Why Cubby why fight George Lucas?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The last contest was a real tough one, this one is relatively easy. Love it or hate it, Moonraker is an extraordinary achievement. The astounding work put in by the legendary Ken Adam (Moonraker is the most beautiful of all the Bond films to look at), the incomparable king of miniatures Derek Meddings, and the jaw-dropping stunt team (Dickie Grayson dangling over the cable car without a harness. CGI be damned!) deserves the utmost respect from Bond fans.

Throw in a Roger Moore on form ('You missed, Mr Bond!' 'Did I?' *sniper falls from tree*. Just perfect.) a beautifully haunting soundtrack from John Barry, a villain in Michel Lonsdale who has enough great lines to fill four movies, a director in Lewis Gilbert who just knows how to pull off such epics, and the overall eye-popping audacity of the whole thing, and you have a formidable production. Not for everyone, of course, but a huge, swaggering, leviathan of a Bond film.

Moonraker achieved an Academy Award Nomination (for Best Visual Effects) which places it in a rare spot among the Bond films.

As Cubby Broccoli said with justifiable pride, on the Moonraker set, "WE know how to do these things!"

Yes you did, Cubby, and we miss you.

It isn't my favourite Bond by a long shot, but, taking the film on its own terms, as epic, twinkling, unpretentious escapism at its most bold, count a proud vote for Moonraker from me.

Beautifully argued Mr Jones_The_Bond, beautifully argued.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Aaarrgh!! Until recently I'd have said TWINE because, while it was highly flawed, it took itself seriously.

However, while I'm not the biggest MR fan (the last time I saw it I was squirming) I suppose it is superior for all the reasons above.

I like TWINE but MR edges it.
    MR just for the John Barry score and the Rio locatons..

Where do we go in TWINE? A couple of oilfields in central Asia. People moan about disjointed QoS but TWINE is far far worse. Why the hell did that bomb go off iin the Istanbul safehouse?

MR by a landslide. TWNE is one of the worst. If not the worst.
    actonsteve wrote:

Where do we go in TWINE? A couple of oilfields in central Asia. People moan about disjointed QoS but TWINE is far far worse. Why the hell did that bomb go off iin the Istanbul safehouse?

The bomb went off because Goldie tried to kill Zukovski and Bond.

BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Why? Because he felt like it?

Remember earlier on when Goldie spotted Bond's car at the caviar factory, and then made a phone call? The scene cuts to Elektra telling Renard that Bond is alive. Well, Goldie was working for them all along, the slimy bugger.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TWINE is less juvenile, so I vote for it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moonraker.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Why? Because he felt like it?

So he could go off and freely be villainous with Electra and Renard I suppose. The evil plan was nearing its execution so Bullion needed to be nearer to them and not be tied down by Robbie Coltrane or Bond.
    THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    Real post-Soviet Caucasus, seūy villainess, good Richards' performance. And good action/love proportion, while Moonraker's got lots of actions only in the end, and a little of love. Bigger time of film is that nothing... (better, than nothing of GF).
    W_PPK wrote:
    THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    Real post-Soviet Caucasus, seūy villainess, good Richards' performance. And good action/love proportion, while Moonraker's got lots of actions only in the end, and a little of love. Bigger time of film is that nothing... (better, than nothing of GF).

:)) :)) :))
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 172
    It could be heard in strange, but, for me it's better than Chiles' one.
    What should I do? :D
  • TWINE : 20th
    MR : 2nd

MR by a landslide.

Im watching AVTAK as Im typing this. Another underrated Moore entry IMO. Out of curiosity where does it rank for you?
    TWINE
    Volante wrote:
    I thought christmas comes once a year ;)