Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited February 2012 Posts: 3,169
    No contest! Moonraker, by far! Much better villain, better score, better locations, better one-liners, much better production design - the list is endless!
    TWINE : 20th
    MR : 2nd

MR by a landslide.

Im watching AVTAK as Im typing this. Another underrated Moore entry IMO. Out of curiosity where does it rank for you?

I know you didn't ask me, and I'm sorry if this is butting in, but I just have to say that AVTAK is a favorite of mine, and I do agree that it is underrated!
  • 00Beast wrote:

MR by a landslide.

Im watching AVTAK as Im typing this. Another underrated Moore entry IMO. Out of curiosity where does it rank for you?

I know you didn't ask me, and I'm sorry if this is butting in, but I just have to say that AVTAK is a favorite of mine, and I do agree that it is underrated!

I don't understand all the hate it gets. Great villans, top-notch Barry score, decent action. Yes Moore is alittle too old but thats the only real problem I have with film. Some of the humor goes alittle too far but those are small instances.
    @DoubleOhhSeven: Spot on, my friend! The only two problems, like you said, are Moore's age and some silly moments, but on the whole it is kind of a dark movie, with all the ally deaths and Zorin's kills on W.G. Howe, Klotkoff, and his mine workers. In fact, the last thirty minutes of AVTAK is pure Bond at its most intense, save for GoldenEye's finale. I really don't see why it gets such criticism.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,778
    00Beast wrote:
    @DoubleOhhSeven: Spot on, my friend! The only two problems, like you said, are Moore's age and some silly moments, but on the whole it is kind of a dark movie, with all the ally deaths and Zorin's kills on W.G. Howe, Klotkoff, and his mine workers. In fact, the last thirty minutes of AVTAK is pure Bond at its most intense, save for GoldenEye's finale. I really don't see why it gets such criticism.

So much so that Moore was alittle offended by Zorin's mass murdering of his henchmen. He think he cited it as his most violent Bond film, which is why he didn't care for it as much.

But the finale has always been one of my all time favorites. The Golden Gate Bridge fight is pure awesomness. I remember sitting in my living room with my dad back when I was maybe 8 or 9 and we were flipping through channels. We stopped at AVTAK around where Bond and Mayday are defusing the bomb. I was captivated and watched it through the end. The next weekend I asked my older brother to take me to Blockbuster and rent the VHS so I could watch the whole thing. People can say what they will about AVTAK but it was one of my first Bond films and I still enjoy it to this day. I'd say MR, OP, AVTAK, and maybe LTK all really got me into Bond.
    00Beast wrote:

So much so that Moore was alittle offended by Zorin's mass murdering of his henchmen. He think he cited it as his most violent Bond film, which is why he didn't care for it as much.

But the finale has always been one of my all time favorites. The Golden Gate Bridge fight is pure awesomness. I remember sitting in my living room with my dad back when I was maybe 8 or 9 and we were flipping through channels. We stopped at AVTAK around where Bond and Mayday are defusing the bomb. I was captivated and watched it through the end. The next weekend I asked my older brother to take me to Blockbuster and rent the VHS so I could watch the whole thing. People can say what they will about AVTAK but it was one of my first Bond films and I still enjoy it to this day. I'd say MR, OP, AVTAK, and maybe LTK all really got me into Bond.

Yes, AVTAK was one of my earlier ones too, and it has so much nostalgia for me because it was the first one I got on DVD, so I watched it all the time!
    TWINE gets my vote
    Despite Denise Richards being such a horrible Bond girl, Elektra makes up for her shortcomings. The plot was more serious and not played for over the top stupid humor.

MR with the exemption of the PTS the film is just adolescent fluff. Lois Chiles stank, Lonsdale boring, Jaws just stupid.
    00Beast wrote:

MR by a landslide.

I don't understand all the hate it gets. Great villans, top-notch Barry score, decent action. Yes Moore is alittle too old but thats the only real problem I have with film. Some of the humor goes alittle too far but those are small instances.

I like AVTAK too, I've always said that the only two problems of the film are Moore being too old - but the film without him would be worse because of the hummor - and May Day.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Nothing. I've got nothing.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I was thinking of voting TWINE, having recently watched it, I find it harshly regarded by many fans. Though it does have flaws. As many of the films in the Bond series do.
    But when I compared the two, MR wins by a landslide.
    The last epic Bond film to be honest. Yes GE and CR brought Bond back into the spotlight, but with MR, Bond was already popular, this epic adventure, threw everything in, and let's be honest, delivered.
    Now I'm no fan of Bond going into space, but the grandoise fun that MR gives, means I really don't care when I'm watching it. It's only afterwards when the excitement has died down, do I get a chance to reflect on it.
    So, my vote goes for the epic (one last time) MR
    Benny wrote:
    I was thinking of voting TWINE, having recently watched it, I find it harshly regarded by many fans. Though it does have flaws. As many of the films in the Bond series do.
    But when I compared the two, MR wins by a landslide.
    The last epic Bond film to be honest. Yes GE and CR brought Bond back into the spotlight, but with MR, Bond was already popular, this epic adventure, threw everything in, and let's be honest, delivered.
    Now I'm no fan of Bond going into space, but the grandoise fun that MR gives, means I really don't care when I'm watching it. It's only afterwards when the excitement has died down, do I get a chance to reflect on it.
    So, my vote goes for the epic (one last time) MR

TWINE's not great but it's not the abomonation people on here claim it is. I admit I've enjoyed watching it in the past. While it's certainly not a patch on GF or TSWLM there are some good scenes.
    :D
    MOONRAKER

On my list of rating.

MR - 10.
    TWINE - 20
    Moonraker: 18 votes
    The World is not Enough: 12 votes

Looks like '70s Roger wins over '90s Pierce! Well, onto the next round!

Dr. No vs. Goldfinger
    To quote Transpotting "Goldfinger's better than Dr.No. Both are alot better than Diamonds are Forever". I'll have to agree with Sickboy on both counts and say Goldfinger.
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    Dr. No. Goldfinger is good as well, though. I just prefer Dr. No.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dr. No.
    This is really a matter of Fleming's Bond vs. United Artist's Bond. Generally I prefer Fleming's Bond but as far as less serious Bond films go Goldfinger is definatly one of the better ones.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited March 2012 Posts: 2,630
    Harry Saltzman & Albert R. Broccoli presents Ian Fleming's

Dr. No

starring Sean Connery as 007
    Goldfinger. I love them both, both are in my top 5, but Goldfinger is just so iconic. Can't vote against it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dr. No

I love this film and for what it's worth, I think it doesn't nearly get the attention and praise it deserves. I admire, first of all, the level of quality which they already managed to reach with this first-of-many-more-to-come film. GF, some might argue, has the advantage of introducing specific elements that would instantly be incorporated into the now very familiar formula. True. But DN introduces even more of those elements. Yes, it's a far more modest film than GF, but given the budget and the fact that it was the first, I don't necessarily think of that as a flaw.
    I like both films and have great affection for them both but I have to go with
    The man with the Midas touch

GOLDFINGER

Goldfinger had it all: Hot chicks, cool gadget car, bigger than life villain, bad ass henchman, great theme song and memorable music, and finally SEAN CONNERY IN HIS PRIME.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh, this is just so cruel! I love them both, but Dr. No wins out here. The film is more interesting, exciting, and memorable. We have the first Bond film, the biggie that started it all, Sean with the classic line in the opening, and we have Ursula in that bikini. A much more interesting villain in Dr. No than Goldfinger, and it is nice to see villains so generous to their adversaries so as to serve them dinner. Both great, both Connery brilliance, but DN races to the finish in great stead.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited March 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I say no.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    GF.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited March 2012 Posts: 3,262
    00Beast wrote:
    Moonraker: 18 votes
    The World is not Enough: 12 votes

Looks like '70s Roger wins over '90s Pierce!

As it should. Many congrats, MR! B-)

As for this round, both are classics but I'm going to pick the one where Connery's performance is smoother and John Barry provided the score: Goldfinger
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 14,124
    Arrghh! Don't make me choose! GF is great for the icons it brought us, but DN keeps moving, and I like the locations better. DN wins (only just). I rank them so close that they could swap places at any time!

1. FRWL

2. TB
    3. DN
    4. GF
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2012 Posts: 28,694
    QBranch wrote:
    Arrghh! Don't make me choose! GF is great for the icons it brought us, but DN keeps moving, and I like the locations better. DN wins (only just). I rank them so close that they could swap places at any time!

1. FRWL

2. TB
    3. DN
    4. GF

What a fine listing that is. Funnily enough that is my exact ranking for the first four Connery Bond films, with YOLT and DAF gathering dust. Always a thrill to see a fellow Connery fanboy. I salute you my good sir.