Tomb Raider (2018)

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited September 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
Looks like the reboot Tomb Raider movie is nearly here! It stars Alicia Vikander as Laura Croft and will be in theaters sometime in 2018.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/tomb-raider/254969/tomb-raider-movie-reboot-cast-release-date-villain-photos

The news was made official via THR, announcing that Dominic West has been cast in the role of Lord Richard Croft, the father of Vikander’s Lara and a central, enigmatic figure throughout the games and original Tomb Raider movie. West is best known for his role on Showtime’s The Affair, as well as work in The Wire and films like 300, Pride, and Genius.

The role of Richard Croft has been performed before by the stunt casting of Jon Voight in the 2001 Tomb Raider, as he is the real-life father of Angelina Jolie.

Variety reports that Daniel Wu (Into the Badlands) has been cast in the Tomb Raider reboot alongside Vikander. Wu will play Lu Ren, "a ship captain who partners with Croft on a quest to find her father," which gives us just a little bit more information about the plot. Um, it will probably involve a sea voyage.

With the casting of Vikander as Laura and from the images they've released, it's easy to tell they are basing it off of the current reboot of Tomb Raider but perhaps going with an original story.

alicia-vikander-as-lara-croft-tomb-raider-02.jpg?w=670

Alicia-Vikander-as-Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-01.jpg

Alicia-Vikander-Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider.jpg

Anyone else as excited as I am?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm excited.
    I really like Vikander.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Oh, I'm very excited! I love the Tomb Raider franchise in all its forms.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Same here! She looks good there!
    Love the games replaying TR definitive edition on Xbox One currently, I am interested to see what Vikander brings to the role also will we get a game franchise movie that's decent?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I watched the original film (2001) last night. I'd seen it in the theatre once, but had never revisited it. Not bad at all. Jolie is much better that I remembered and does a pretty good accent (at least she's far better at the English accent than Craig is at the American one). I love that icy look she gives, which is spot on. She's just a bit underweight for the character, who I always assumed was more voluptuous and yet athletic.

Iain Glen is charisma defined. Great screen presence and I'm surprised he hasn't become a bigger star. There's a bit of Moore in him.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @bondjames, have you seen Glen in the Irish detective series Jack Taylor? It's a brilliant set of mysteries where he really shines in all the right ways. He's got that inherent Celtic wit and charm, but with a real edge. If you like him, I'd check it out. The show is on the American Netflix, and more services I'm sure.
    Thanks @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I had heard about the show but hadn't gotten round to it. I just got my hands on a region free blu ray player and so can now watch blu rays from anywhere in the world. So I may pick up the UK version of this set.

I first saw Glen in Tombraider and the Resident Evil films and certainly noticed him. Like you said, he has an edge to him without having to try too hard.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @bondjames, you'll have to tell me what you think. It's a gumshoe noir set in Ireland with Glen as a hard drinking rogue/maverick. If that doesn't sell you, nothing will. A few new episodes came out at the end of last year, but they haven't gotten stateside yet. Hopefully before long they'll stream on Netflix, as I need my fix. I watched the show randomly one night to try it out, and fell in love with it. It also helped that I had been longing to see Ireland after a trip I'd taken there months earlier, which the show connected me back to. In one of the episodes I even spotted the exact location of a hill I hiked up near an area called Bray that the production team picked to stage a part of the show. Quite crazy!
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, from what I have read, the show has a sort of Wallander'esque flavour to it (I've not seen that show either, which stars Kenneth Branagh). I had purchased a few seasons of Jack Irish (starring Guy Pearce), which is another one of these sorts of shows, but it's set in Australia. It's ok, but I couldn't really get into it.

The one I really like just for the Italian scenery and because it stars Caterina Murino (looking especially lovely) is Zen. It's a three part BBC series starring Rufus Sewell.

I can imagine how exciting it was seeing the location you visited in the show. I felt the same way when Pont Neuf showed up at the end of The Bourne Identity. I had just come back from Paris a year earlier.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm... curious to see how this turns out. Unlike what appear to be a large number of TR fans, I enjoyed the reboot game from 2013. But I wish someone had made a film closer to the games than the Jolie films, before the games were rebooted.

I have only seen Vikander in that Man From U.N.C.L.E. film, so I don't have much of an opinion of her. In another thread, I named Alison Carroll (the last of the Lara Croft promotional models), as my preferred choice for Lara. She has the looks and athleticism, the film around her can do the rest.
    @MajorDSmythe, I recommend Ex-Machina for more Vikander. It's a surreal film with pretty impressive visuals. Alex Garland is going places.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Ok, i'll make a note of that one.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @MajorDSmythe She's great in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Ex-Machina, and Jason Bourne (even though the movie wasn't great). For sure check out Ex-Machina.
    I'm excited - I'll see this in the theater. I really hope the 'adventure' genre can get a shot in the arm with this, maybe an Uncharted movie, and maybe even Universal's new universe including The Mummy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't played the 'Tomb Raider' reboots yet unfortunately, and I'm not the biggest fan of Vikander, but damn, if she doesn't look the part. I'm assuming this movie will definitely be following the reboot timeline, will give it a watch at some point. My cautious pessimism comes from the fact that it's a game-to-film adaptation, and we all know how those tend to go.
    octofinger wrote: »
    I'm excited - I'll see this in the theater. I really hope the 'adventure' genre can get a shot in the arm with this, maybe an Uncharted movie, and maybe even Universal's new universe including The Mummy.

I hope it does so well that the "adventure" genre comes in full force. I want an Uncharted movie!
    I also hope that The Mummy does so well that Universal makes a monster movie universe. I think I heard a rumor that if The Mummy does well they'll go ahead with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie, starring Russell Crowe.
    octofinger wrote: »

I hope it does so well that the "adventure" genre comes in full force. I want an Uncharted movie!
    I also hope that The Mummy does so well that Universal makes a monster movie universe. I think I heard a rumor that if The Mummy does well they'll go ahead with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie, starring Russell Crowe.

You just summed up my feelings exactly! It's surprising how few straight-up adventure movies ever get made. It's my favorite genre so sometimes I have a "take what I can get" mentality. But I'm definitely excited for this. And I also agree that an Uncharted movie can't come soon enough!
    I honestly hope that Uncharted film never gets off the ground. The games are already perfect on their own, and movies you get thrown right in the middle of. Just watching what the games let you take hold of wouldn't be a great feeling. The casting would also be crucial, and if they screw up on just one part, it's over with. It doesn't help that all the attempts at making the games into a film have been through stories that aren't even true to the source.

The Tomb Raider film should be fine, as long as they actually tell a story. If the film recognizes Lara as a person beyond the flopping mountains on her chest, they are already pretty far off to the races. The movie will earn added respect if they avoid any obvious butt shots, or throw Vikander into the skimpiest clothes they can get on her. Strong female led films are all the rage now, and if they do this one right, it could work for them and launch into a whole franchise. Character is essential, as is depth, so that Lara can be taken up a notch from being strictly masturbatory material to a very human and backable heroine. It helps that in Vikander the studio picked a girl who can't easily be sexed up in gratuitous ways like Jolie was out of the womb, and judging from all the set pictures they are really showing off the wear and tear the girl will face on her journey to ground it and give it more danger and substance than sex appeal.
    Character is essential, as is depth, so that Lara can be taken up a notch from being strictly masturbatory material to a very human and backable heroine.

This! And let's hope the filmmakers remember that the character is pretty important to a lot of women, too. One of the reasons TR is so special to me is that, while of course I love Bond and would love to hang out with him, it's easier to imagine being Lara.

(NB I have nothing in common with Lara. Except a 'posh voice' apparently.)
    I can imagine that the filmmakers will be influenced by a lot of the successful female heroine films that are out there these days. I think The Hunger Games' Katniss Everdeen probably started the recent wave, which has engulfed even the SW series now. With WW debuting later this year, this trend is only likely to continue. The female audience is a large component of the movie going public as well.

Interesting time to be a young female actress in Hollywood, as opportunities abound.
    Not excited.

VikanderNotLaraCroft

I love the reboot games. But this movie looks like a failure to happen again. Seems to follow the reboot too closely.

Angelina Jolie's 2 TR films are a guilty pleasure.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Character is essential, as is depth, so that Lara can be taken up a notch from being strictly masturbatory material to a very human and backable heroine.

This! And let's hope the filmmakers remember that the character is pretty important to a lot of women, too. One of the reasons TR is so special to me is that, while of course I love Bond and would love to hang out with him, it's easier to imagine being Lara.

(NB I have nothing in common with Lara. Except a 'posh voice' apparently.)

It is definitely vastly important for women to look on the big screen-and small-and see themselves represented in strong ways.

This isn't strictly a gender thing, either, as I'm just as excited for Wonder Woman as I would be anything else. Exciting times for girl power.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can imagine that the filmmakers will be influenced by a lot of the successful female heroine films that are out there these days. I think The Hunger Games' Katniss Everdeen probably started the recent wave, which has engulfed even the SW series now. With WW debuting later this year, this trend is only likely to continue. The female audience is a large component of the movie going public as well.

Interesting time to be a young female actress in Hollywood, as opportunities abound.

@bondjames, you see this a lot in the gaming industry too, with a lot of major titles featuring female only protagonists in growing numbers. It's one of those things that makes you wonder what took people so long, but it's just nice for the option to be there in the market.
    I'm actually most excited about ww film , more than any other comic book film and I'm only faintly familiar with the character. I know she's Diana Prince, have read some all star comics with her, seen some episodes of the 70's tv series, but not as famiar as I am with bats and supes. But still I wsit for this movie more than any other dc movie since Nolan's Batman.

I guess I wait for this movie to save dc's cinematic universe. But I won't hold my breath.

Since Iron Man, Marvel has been the king of the comic books movies. They know how to make adventure films.
    @SharkBait, it's very important for WW to go down well, and I'll be crushed if it's another DC/Warner Bros. misfire. Diana is Rosie the Riveter in armor, and that image is a very profound one. It's quite frankly criminal that it's taken over 70 years for her to get a major motion picture with her in the lead. I have all my faith in Gal Gadot, and hope she sends all dissenters packing. From what I've seen, the trailers nail her innocence, good will and care for humanity beautifully. If they get the character right, all should fall into place. The issue with the previous DC films is they didn't have the character to start, and all the rest suffered from it. I don't think the same issue will exist here. Fingers crossed.
    WW seems to have some wonderfully (pun intended) scenic sequences, especially on Themyscira. So it hopefully won't suffer from the dull, over CGI'd elements which infected SS, BvS & MoS. That should help a great deal to differentiate it visually from the more recent DC output.
    Alicia Vikander looks hot enough where the movie will be at least a 6/10 regardless of the quality of the rest of the movie.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I haven't played the 'Tomb Raider' reboots yet unfortunately, and I'm not the biggest fan of Vikander, but damn, if she doesn't look the part. I'm assuming this movie will definitely be following the reboot timeline, will give it a watch at some point. My cautious pessimism comes from the fact that it's a game-to-film adaptation, and we all know how those tend to go.

Absolutely.

As far as 'gritty reboots' go, I'm as wary of them as anyone else, but I did play the rebooted game on PS3 and it was great. The tongue-in-cheek/breast-focused version featuring Jolie has probably been taken about as far as it can go.

The video game adaptation curse is a fair point and so well-entrenched by now that it almost goes without saying. I'm still optimistic, though, because Tomb Raider (and Uncharted, for that matter) tells a very straightforward narrative: a search for lost treasure, survival, etc. I tried watching Assassin's Creed recently and found that after 15 or 20 minutes I still had no idea what was going on or why I was supposed to care. Tomb Raider, as a game, is no narrative that I feel it lends itself pretty well to film.

Fingers are crossed - I'd really like this to work.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Oh I loved Assasin's Creed, it had far more depth then I'd expected. Loved the previous TR films too, allthough more in a tongue in cheek manner. Vikander probably brings more realism, wwhich I think is good. It makes it a more compelling adventure.

Really looking foreward to Gal Gadot's WW too.
    I suppose Chris Barrie reprising his role as the butler would be too much to ask...
    I'm sure by now most of you have already seen the trailer but for those of you who haven't, or those of you who want to see it again, here you go.

I'll see it in theaters but I have to admit, it doesn't look like it's going to be the movie that's going to make movie adaptations of video games popular. Hopefully a second trailer will be better.