Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sensational! @00Agent you just made my day! :smiley:
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Sensational! @00Agent you just made my day! :smiley:

I'm glad to be of service @ClarkDevlin.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,185
    For everyone who wasn't already super excited for Kill Chain:

The Comic will fearure a new Version of SMERSH!
    Release #1: Jul 19, 2017

Source:
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SMERSH will brand Bond's other hand this time!
    You know what I'd love? A SMERSH and SPECTRE fall out with Bond in the middle.
    Spectre died, Eidolon remained, Eidolon cell in Britain was wiped out. There could be a remergence of Spectre again later. But I think Smersh coming back is awesome. Maybe an updated General G whose fate was never touched upon in the novels.
    I wasn't addressing the contemporary SPECTRE. Sure it died with Eidolon. But, now we have another, old, Fleming timeline coming up. I'm sure they can do a SPECTRE versus SMERSH story with Bond in the middle, acting like Yojimbo and playing both sides for fools from the shadows. Imagine how great that would be for a Bond thriller. Kind of like what GoldenEye: Rogue Agent intended to tell (but failed), but with 007 secretly foiling SMERSH and SPECTRE schemes, then making them seem like the other side did to one another.
    Ah, I see what you're getting at.
    Usually Spectre is up to that sort of thing; pinning two powers against each other.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Exactly. :D

Imagine Bond playing dirty with those two powers.
    Attention:

18033956_1306878416068355_4616685366744606222_n.png?oh=bb5f81e295a7882013c8009ac2b4596a&oe=597A25EC&__gda__=1501450503_cb60a8126450a085dc1987c310c038be

Full article here:
    http://www.ianfleming.com/origin-james-bond/
    very excited for this. Hope we will get the first writer and artist reveald in the next month
    I'm hoping so! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't like this idea of throwing light on Bonds origins. At least allow the character to retain some mystery.
    I don't like this idea of throwing light on Bonds origins. At least allow the character to retain some mystery.
    21st Century, Major. ;)

Thats why i rather see it in comic book form than told in a movie. If we don't like the origin story it is much easier to brush it aside and act like it never happened... not so much with an Official EoN movie. And even there people will are already rejecting the bit of origin shown in Skyfall.

But in the end we don't even know what the origin will even be.
    I am very curious about how they want to do this. Do they simply want to show how Bond got his start in MI6 but otherwise have him be the same guy as always? Or do they want to show some character development and how he got his Confidence through his experience in WW2? Also what about all the typical Bond tropes like exotic women and luxury... how does that fit into WW2 (does it at all? wouldn't be really Bond if they leave it out)
    We will have to wait and see, i am very curious...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The funny thing about the backlash to Skyfall telling an origin is that it's all based in Fleming, and we don't get anything the man didn't already refer to in the books. We know Bond grew up in Scotland, we saw his house in Scotland. We know his parents died and made him an orphan as a boy, we saw their graves. All we actually got that Fleming didn't give us already was the rifle Bond's father passed on and the story of Bond hiding in the cubby hole following their deaths where he learned to mourn. That's it.
    The funny thing about the backlash to Skyfall telling an origin is that it's all based in Fleming, and we don't get anything the man didn't already refer to in the books. We know Bond grew up in Scotland, we saw his house in Scotland. We know his parents died and made him an orphan as a boy, we saw their graves. All we actually got that Fleming didn't give us already was the rifle Bond's father passed on and the story of Bond hiding in the cubby hole following their deaths where he learned to mourn. That's it.

Yes i fully agree with you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I loved the bit of origin in Skyfall and i thought that the filmmakers were very careful and respectful with it. in the End they just sprinkled a little bit of background info, straigt from Fleming, in there just to show what a man Bond is and where he came from (and that he doesn't care at all about his past, so at least that always remains the same) and they didn't go full on Batman Begins.

Even Craig said in some Skyfall interviews, when asked about this topic, that you can't reveal too much about Bond because he needs to have some Mystery.

I trust that Dynamite and the talent involved are aware of this dilemma and will remain respectful to Bond and Fleming in any way possible. I don't think this will be your typical superhero origin story...
    Well, let's not hold Dynamite at full blame when they're doing straightforward origin comic book. It's fully commissioned by the Ian Fleming Estate who have already started a Bond origin series in prose novel format with Young Bond. And I can't say that I really like Steve Cole's contribution to the IP, because he's lacking in the quality that Charlie Higson brought. Dynamite, other than the art for Black Box that I find lackluster, hasn't disappointed me yet. And I doubt they will with this one.
    Also what about all the typical Bond tropes like exotic women and luxury... how does that fit into WW2 (does it at all? wouldn't be really Bond if they leave it out)

Well, one of the inspirations for James Bond, triple agent Dusko Popov certainly didn't lack either. Look for example at who he slept with :

464351.jpg

Frankly, I'm impressed.
    There are plenty of femme fatales in the forties more than there are, now. I mean, just watch all those film noir films. They're a lot more psychologically effective to impress a man than the women of today are.

An example:
    565fbb9325fca__gene-tierney1.jpg
    Gene Tierney as Laura Hunt in Laura
    00Agent wrote: »

Yes i fully agree with you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I loved the bit of origin in Skyfall and i thought that the filmmakers were very careful and respectful with it. in the End they just sprinkled a little bit of background info, straigt from Fleming, in there just to show what a man Bond is and where he came from (and that he doesn't care at all about his past, so at least that always remains the same) and they didn't go full on Batman Begins.

Even Craig said in some Skyfall interviews, when asked about this topic, that you can't reveal too much about Bond because he needs to have some Mystery.

I trust that Dynamite and the talent involved are aware of this dilemma and will remain respectful to Bond and Fleming in any way possible. I don't think this will be your typical superhero origin story...

@00Agent, fully agreed. The origin was a nice, light touch that was keeping with Craig's Bond as we know him. It makes sense that a man who represses and blocks out so much of his life's hardships (as we see even in adulthood with the Vesper situation and his meaning for the work he does in SP) would also be the person who thought as a boy that the best way to deal with pain is to lock yourself away until you grow hard to it all. As an adult little changes for Bond in how he reacts to dire straits, just that now instead of physically locking himself away he traps up his mind and puts on a tough face when he has to, alongside some drinking.

I think some blew the SF situation out of proportion, as Craig's Bond is still very much a big mystery, the way it should be. We've seen this man earn his 00 licence, get his heart shattered in the biggest way outside of Tracy and have seen bits of how he came to be, but what drives him and why he's the man he is remains very much open to the viewer. And because Dan has been able to make Bond feel so real, that mysterious character portrait only becomes more fascinating.
    There are plenty of femme fatales in the forties more than there are, now. I mean, just watch all those film noir films. They're a lot more psychologically effective to impress a man than the women of today are.

An example:

Yeah, I think the jury has been out for a long time about the differences between the women of yesteryear and the women of today. Part of the problem of being a classic film fan like I am, and fixating your eyes on women like Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Jane Russell, Kate Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman and all the rest during very formative years is that the women you see around you don't really compare. Those ladies also grew up in a time where their beautiful shapes were a commonplace wonder, whereas nowadays looking like a pole is the vision of beauty women are expected to uphold. The lack of fine dresses they wear now and the overwhelming culture of tattooing has also stained a lot of that feeling of beauty women can give, in a very contemporary way.

Men aren't much better, either. The only people that walk around in suits are those who have to do it for their jobs, and little else outside of that. Something has been lost there from the 40s to now, in how we present ourselves and how we're expected to be that I'm not a fan of. I love watching the Bond films partly because in them the men and women actually look presentable and nicely put together in their suits. I always think, "What happened to that world?" The suits and summer dresses replaced with baggy t-shirts and tight jeans. Yikes.

[RANT OVER]
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    21st Century, Major. ;)

Christ, I miss the 20th century.
    00Agent wrote: »

@00Agent, fully agreed. The origin was a nice, light touch that was keeping with Craig's Bond as we know him. It makes sense that a man who represses and blocks out so much of his life's hardships (as we see even in adulthood with the Vesper situation and his meaning for the work he does in SP) would also be the person who thought as a boy that the best way to deal with pain is to lock yourself away until you grow hard to it all. As an adult little changes for Bond in how he reacts to dire straits, just that now instead of physically locking himself away he traps up his mind and puts on a tough face when he has to, alongside some drinking.

I think some blew the SF situation out of proportion, as Craig's Bond is still very much a big mystery, the way it should be. We've seen this man earn his 00 licence, get his heart shattered in the biggest way outside of Tracy and have seen bits of how he came to be, but what drives him and why he's the man he is remains very much open to the viewer. And because Dan has been able to make Bond feel so real, that mysterious character portrait only becomes more fascinating.

An example:

Yeah, I think the jury has been out for a long time about the differences between the women of yesteryear and the women of today. Part of the problem of being a classic film fan like I am, and fixating your eyes on women like Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall, Jane Russell, Kate Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman and all the rest during very formative years is that the women you see around you don't really compare. Those ladies also grew up in a time where their beautiful shapes were a commonplace wonder, whereas nowadays looking like a pole is the vision of beauty women are expected to uphold. The lack of fine dresses they wear now and the overwhelming culture of tattooing has also stained a lot of that feeling of beauty women can give, in a very contemporary way.

Men aren't much better, either. The only people that walk around in suits are those who have to do it for their jobs, and little else outside of that. Something has been lost there from the 40s to now, in how we present ourselves and how we're expected to be that I'm not a fan of. I love watching the Bond films partly because in them the men and women actually look presentable and nicely put together in their suits. I always think, "What happened to that world?" The suits and summer dresses replaced with baggy t-shirts and tight jeans. Yikes.

[RANT OVER]
    giphy.gif
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Dynamite seems to have the better creative people than EON.

If this Dynamite universe continues to be as great as it is up to now it might just become more important to me than the films EON is doing. Even if I love Spectre to bits. But to be honest, in the end after TND the only Bond film that really had me breathless at the cinema was Spectre.

Dynamite seems to have the better creative people than EON.

If this Dynamite universe continues to be as great as it is up to now it might just become more important to me than the films EON is doing. Even if I love Spectre to bits. But to be honest, in the end after TND the only Bond film that really had me breathless at the cinema was Spectre.
    I'm with you there, Jason.
    To me the movies are just a small part of what Bond is. Then there are the games which at one point were as equally important to me. And then we have all those wonderfull continuation novels which are a whole other World to explore.
    Now to see that the comics are becoming as equally important, and being part of that, is one of the best things in Bond fandom that i have witnessed

The other day i was on comixology and I just randomly typed in 'James Bond' in the search and it really Put a smile on my face to see how far we have come since Vargr. I remember when there were only 3-4 issues out. Now we have already 3 completed books and multiple series running. And there will be so much more by the end of the year, including a CR graphic novel and the Start of the origin series
    I have only read VARGR EIDOLON and part of HAMMERHEAD and BLACK BOX.

I am indeed on the verge of loving the comic universe as much as the films.
    I already do love the comics universe, more than I could tell.
    Don't miss out on Felix Leiter @BondJasonBond006
    it's a very good book as well.

Honestly i wasn't the biggest fan of it in the beginning, but by Issue 4 now i can say i like it just as much as the main series.
    The single biggest accomplishment of the Felix Leiter series to me is, making Tiger Tanaka a character i really care about. I would not mind having a couple more adventures where Felix and Tiger team up, or having one Mini series focused on Tiger alone. Fingers crossed we get a cameo in Black Box.
    @Agent_99 I have already pre ordered both Felix Leiter and HAMMERHEAD as the special edition hard cover books. The VARGR and EIDOLON ones I own :D