Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    This year's biggest Star Wars event is imminent.

ROGUE ONE Steelbook is released tomorrow (German market).

Best Star Wars film since Star Wars (1977)

You didn't see ESB then?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    ESB is my No 3. @RC7
    SW, ESB and RO are practically a tie really.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    ESB is my No 3. @RC7

I enjoyed RO very much. But it's not quite ESB for me.
    Some good characters and better than Episodes 1to3. Visually it's stunning, especially the final battle.
    I know it gets a lot of flack, but I prefer TFA over RO. I don't really care about the similarities between TFA and ANH, it's a fun film in the vein I feel of the original trilogy, ANH, ESB and ROTJ. The prequel trilogy is more kiddie fueled I feel, despite the attempted darkness of episode 3. Terrible dialogue and well GL isn't the best director. Looking forward to TLJ, less excited for the Han Solo film. But will give it the benefit of the doubt.

I would like to make the Bond vs Star Wars comparison.

Star Wars - DN
    Empire Strikes Back - FRWL
    Return Of The Jedi - TB

The Phantom Menace - Moonraker
    Attack Of The Clones - Tomorrow Never Dies
    Revenge Of The Sith - The World Is Not Enough

The Force Awakens - Die Another Day

Rogue One - Quantum Of Solace

The Last Jedi - SPECTRE??

I'm being a bit silly above, but what I feel is that the original trilogy could be seen as the Star Wars' Connery era so to speak and the second trilogy could be seen as the Brosnan era.

Rogue One felt like a return to form for me. Especially after TFA who was a mere da capo and more of the same, an homage etc. And overall way too silly with the weakest villain ever in the SW universe.

Rogue One has given me A New Hope that Disney indeed will make great things in the future.
    Another such sign is Star Wars Rebels which I obsessively love.
    I saw the actor portraying young Han Solo in Coen brothers movie Hail Ceasar and I think he will probably take me outh of the movie. Doesn'n look or sound anything like Ford and this will be a twenty something Solo?

I'll probably end up thinking ; this is not the Solo you're looking for.

But if the movie is good , I could probably look past that. Like I could looks past the young Indy, because I enjoyed the young Indiana Jones show.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If The Last Jedi = SPECTRE we are in real trouble!
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Watched Rogue One for 2nd time and I have to say, while aesthetically reminding the original trilogy and tying closely to A New Hope, I much prefer TFA over this.

Don't much care for the characters, apart from the blind not-jedi-but-kind-of-jedi guy.

The main character is just a bore compared to other main characters in the franchise. I also kept thinking ; this could be a fan film. A well made fan film, but fan film none the less.

Darth Vader was kewl and Tarkin didn't look as bad as I would have thought seeing R1 for second time. It's much better than Jeff Bridges's young cgi double in Tron Evolution.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The thing about Rogue One is that even though I enjoyed it in the theater, I really have no desire to watch it again. I'm sure I'll rewatch it eventually, but I'm certainly in no hurry. I was excited to get the TFA blu-ray, in comparison.
    TFA is very re-watchable as it has not much substance and is a kids movie.

Rogue One is serious gritty business. I'll watch it maybe twice a year tops.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I loved both of them equally. Great additions to the franchise.
  • RC7RC7
    ESB is my No 3. @RC7

Each to their own. I don't find RO to be even close to ESB on any level. In terms of mainstream Hollywood blockbuster cinema, ESB is masterful. RO is just one of the pack for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It wasn't the worst movie in the series, but I, too, have no interest in rewatching it. My feelings heavily mirror @SharkBait's, but I think the work on Tarkin was atrocious. Only other complaint for me would be how repetitive the movie got after a while. Much better than the prequels, though, that's for sure.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It wasn't the worst movie in the series, but I, too, have no interest in rewatching it. My feelings heavily mirror @SharkBait's, but I think the work on Tarkin was atrocious. Only other complaint for me would be how repetitive the movie got after a while. Much better than the prequels, though, that's for sure.

Tend to agree. The Tarkin reflection was enough, beyond that I was just watching CGI that kept pulling me away from the dialogue. It's the first SW film I've watched where my mind was telling me 'You're bored' and I include the prequels in that. They are varying shades of shit, interspersed with some genuinely good bits imo, but I was never bored. RO hopped around all over and then lulled into a bit of a trough, before really picking up again. In all honesty neither of the new entries has really done it for me in the way the originals did, I'm hoping Ep 8 corrects that.
    @RC7, great assessment on the prequels, I'm in agreement: they may be bad, but at least they had shades of thrills and good bits throughout. RO for me was "Go to this planet, find something out, escape before it blows up, go to next planet, lather, rinse, repeat," until the grim ending. I did enjoy the last few minutes of the film a great deal, though.

I really enjoyed TFA, but nothing has managed to top the originals for me, either.
    I'll never get why the prequels are not popular on this forum.

I like them, always have since ever seeing them from 1999 to 2005. Sure, Episode I has a lot of issues, mainly being a silly kids movie for the most part. But so is TFA.

Attack Of The Clones is bloody great and the complaints about CGI I don't buy at all.
    It's part of what makes those films. And it all still looks great.

Revenge Of The Sith is dark and gritty and quite violent too. A great film.
    Are the prequels popular anywhere? Most of the time I see them brought up across the Internet, it's to rip them a new one or talk about the absolutely horrid acting of some of those involved.
    The Phantom Menace was boring. It was a kids movie. More kiddy than TFA which is hardly kiddy. I don't understand that criticism.

Attack of the Clones was a bit better but Anakin's pubeciant angst was just awful.

Revenge of the Sith was the best of the three but that's not saying much. My main problem with the prequels is they all look so damn fake with most of them being shot in blue screen rooms.
    I have never hated the prequels. I find a lot to enjoy in each of them. That being said, Episode I and II are the weakest of the main saga IMO, and definitely suffer from several flaws. Revenge of the Sith is my second favorite of all the movies right now though.
  • RC7RC7
    I'll never get why the prequels are not popular on this forum.

I like them, always have since ever seeing them from 1999 to 2005. Sure, Episode I has a lot of issues, mainly being a silly kids movie for the most part. But so is TFA.

Attack Of The Clones is bloody great and the complaints about CGI I don't buy at all.
    It's part of what makes those films. And it all still looks great.

Revenge Of The Sith is dark and gritty and quite violent too. A great film.

The main issue with the prequels is that post-TPM Lucas just thought, fuck it, I'll shoot 99% on green screen and worry about it later. As maligned as TPM is, I'll give it kudos for attempting to up the location shooting quotient, the originality of the pod race and the operatic gusto of the Maul fight. AOTC and ROTS are mired by the digital photography that, when combined with VFX, give the feel of a computer game. It's no surprise JJ approached TFA in the way he did. They are completely watchable, for me, but they lost their soul (as with all movies) when they sacrificed reality for CGI.
    Some bacta buffed it right out. :wink:
    Murdock wrote: »
    Some bacta buffed it right out. :wink:

That's there get out ;)
    I think if the scar would be in the middle, Kylo Ren would remind too much of Harry Potter.
    But the really important thing is how the scar looks on his cheek. The part from the nose upward was a mere scratch anyway, while his cheek was ripped open in a promising way.
    pachazo wrote: »
    The thing about Rogue One is that even though I enjoyed it in the theater, I really have no desire to watch it again. I'm sure I'll rewatch it eventually, but I'm certainly in no hurry. I was excited to get the TFA blu-ray, in comparison.

I was kiddy even after seeing TFA for a third time in the cinema.

Rogue One, I only bothered to see once and only rented the movie from viaplay. Wasn't actually that exited to see it again. I will buy it on dvd or bluray. But I'm in no hurry.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SharkBait wrote: »

Rogue One, I only bothered to see once and only rented the movie from viaplay. Wasn't actually that exited to see it again. I will buy it on dvd or bluray. But I'm in no hurry.
    Same. As I've said before, TFA is like GE to me. It just hits all the right spots even though it's derivative. I always come away feeling great after watching it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think if the scar would be in the middle, Kylo Ren would remind too much of Harry Potter.
    But the really important thing is how the scar looks on his cheek. The part from the nose upward was a mere scratch anyway, while his cheek was ripped open in a promising way.

I think the scar works better where it is now, because the scar going up across his right eye gives him more of a resemblance to Clone Wars-era Anakin.
    Or YOLT Blofeld :-))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    bondjames wrote: »
    SharkBait wrote: »

Same. As I've said before, TFA is like GE to me. It just hits all the right spots even though it's derivative. I always come away feeling great after watching it.

I feel the same way! Every time I watch TFA I always feel good. Which is the same with the OT too.
    Rogue One, however, I always seem to feel unsatisfied and bored. Like it doesn't seem to quite scratch that itch. It's not a bad film by any means but it just feels more like a generic sci-fi action film than an epic Star Wars movie.
    I have never watched any of the prequels all the way through but the snippets I've seen were truly abysmal. Everything with Anakin looked horrendous. I caught the lava flow battle between Anakin and Obi Wan on TV somewhere and couldn't believe how awful it looked. George Lucas is clearly insane and lost what genius he may once have had. A shame he also managed to totally screw up Indy 4 with his atrocious story as well. Thank god he's sold both franchises so he can no longer wreck them.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Nah, the PT isn't great but they're still fun. My only real complaint is too much CGI and bad dialogue. Other than that, I have a blast with them.