The Fast and the Furious (2001 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Which is why Bond is around to show them how it's done.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Which is why Bond is around to show them how it's done.

That's the spirit ;-)! Hail @Doubleoego!
    Without having seen it or intending to, I doubt, Bond can better the action. The film has to shine as an overall piece of fine film making. But this "whatever" you call it, will do better BO wise, I suppose. :(
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Without having seen it or intending to, I doubt, Bond can better the action. The film has to shine as an overall piece of fine film making. But this "whatever" you call it, will do better BO wise, I suppose. :(

It really depends what kind of action you prefer @Germanlady.

Do you prefer lots of CGI, over-the-top, Die Another Day-esque action? If so, then both the Bond film "Die Another Day" and the recent "Furious 7" have your favourite kind of action.

Or do you prefer gritty realism, long shots and easy-to-follow edited action, as if it could really happen to you? If so then movies like "Bullitt" (Steve McQueen), "Ronin" and the upcoming "SPECTRE" have your favourite kind of action.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    So fast 7 made $1 billion in just 17 days!!!!
    Just found out. Quite a stellar achievement, that. Paul would be proud. Can't wait to see this film myself soon, but first, I must do a marathon retrospective of the franchise.

It's insane really. I predicted a plus 1 Billion Dollar result. But at this stage it can also battle "Avengers 2", meaning that "Furious 7" truly is speeding towards $1.5 Billion worldwide. 2nd place at the global box office is now seriously in reach for "Furious 7".

I think we all knew it'd hit the billion dollar mark, just not this fast! ;)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    So sad. This will lead to - most likely - many less well made action films. On the horizon: Action, action and...action. :-O

I actually think this series is one of the greater action franchises on offer. They always find cool and clever stunts to do, many of which they're doing for real, like the cars piling out of the plane thousands of feet in the air. However, the films go beyond simple action with the themes of love and family that run between each of the core characters. A lot of people have gone out to the theaters to see Paul's farewell film and pay tribute, but there are also those there that simply love these characters and who want to see where their journeys go next.

My only worry is that the franchise is just going to continue on for more and more films now because of this massive financial success, which I feel conflicted about because from what I've heard, this film hits a sweet spot that signals that the story should end.
    Vin Diesel announced Furious 8 will be released April 14, 2017.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/universa...es-1201415314/
    This weekend Furious 7 made 1 billion internationally.

Furious 7
    Domestic: $320,536,000 24.3%
    + Foreign: $1,001,000,000 75.7%
    = Worldwide: $1,321,536,000
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fast7.htm
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Forgot this thread existed. I'll kick it back off with some exciting news, that Universal is gearing up for a spin-off focusing on Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham's characters:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-fate-of-the-furious-spinoff-universal-pictures-1202073677/
    They need to stop making these movies. Fast 8 was just. Ughhh so bad so unrealistic
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    They need to stop making these movies. Fast 8 was just. Ughhh so bad so unrealistic

That's the beauty of them, how batshit insane and over the top they are. Thought the new one was a blast. A bit too much CG for my tastes at times, but overall, a solid installment.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I thought F8 was better than Furious 7, but still not on par with 4 or Fast 5... I wish they'd scale back the climaxes.. I don't know if Vin is getting Fast & Furious confused with xXx, but they kind of both feel the same right now... Plus I never really bought into the fact that this rag tag group of grease monkey street racers, are now somehow the an elite spec ops unit.. That's a bit too much... The movies are still fun though, I just wish they'd dial it back a little.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    I thought F8 was better than Furious 7, but still not on par with 4 or Fast 5... I wish they'd scale back the climaxes.. I don't know if Vin is getting Fast & Furious confused with xXx, but they kind of both feel the same right now... Plus I never really bought into the fact that this rag tag group of grease monkey street racers, are now somehow the an elite spec ops unit.. That's a bit too much... The movies are still fun though, I just wish they'd dial it back a little.

Any bit of logic the series had was most certainly thrown out the window in 'The Fate of the Furious,' particularly the fact that:
    The series has always been about family and the strength of having a close bond with those that mean the most to you, but then Statham's character is now a "family" member, without anyone mentioning the fact that he killed Han. It's so quickly swept under the rug in the movie, it's rather jarring.

To be fair people said the same thing about Bond and that was before the 60s ended. Let these movies and audiences have their fun, the FnF movies are harmless and aren't hurting anyone.

To be fair people said the same thing about Bond and that was before the 60s ended. Let these movies and audiences have their fun, the FnF movies are harmless and aren't hurting anyone.

And they absolutely ravage at the box office, so there won't be an end in sight for them for a while. It's like all this superhero fare; I don't care for it at all, but there's a big enough audience for it that warrants an endless supply of these movies.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Realistically, logic and realism was never a parr of the series lol.. But for the series itself, its own logic was thrown out waaay back at the start of the 6th one.. When they turned Hobbs into their coworker.. That was the beginning.
    Fast & Furious is pure popcorn fun... I like great pieces of cinematic art, doesn't mean I can't enjoy some light fluff every now and then.
    Fast 7 was the perfect ending to the series imo
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,372
    Reports about the spin-off now say that: (spoilers for 'The Fate of the Furious')
    Charlize Theron may be part of this spin-off, which begs the question of what direction these last two 'Fast & Furious' movies are going.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I heard they were going to kill this at 10.

I agree that 8 is better than 7. I still like 6 and 5 the best.
    I want to see Carter Verone return as the villain - he was the drug guy from 2 Fast... Plus we still need a return of Leon from the original, he's the only one left from the original crew that we don't know what happened to.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I wish I could watch the films again. I stopped with No 6.
    I liked Paul Walker very much ever since Joyride and I am not good with people dying young.

Can somebody tell me without spoilering everything if Walker's Death has been tastefully incorporated into F7?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Am I the only one who don t like these films? I will admit that I have only seen the first three, maybe two and a half cant remember, killed some time when they aired on tv.

Haven t had any desire to watch any more.
    I wish I could watch the films again. I stopped with No 6.
    I liked Paul Walker very much ever since Joyride and I am not good with people dying young.

Can somebody tell me without spoilering everything if Walker's Death has been tastefully incorporated into F7?

I don't believe they could've given him a more tasteful, loving send-off than they did in 'Furious 7.' You really should give it a go some time, tugs at the heart strings.

@Thunderfinger, just like I've told the others who gave up around the time you did, you should give the new ones a try. They're quite different beasts compared to the first few installments.
    I have seen the trailers, and they don t intrigue me the slightest. If anything, I think they look worse than the first films.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    You have to have a sense of fun to enjoy the F&F films.
    You have to have a sense of fun to enjoy the F&F films.

Heh, you're not wrong there.
    I have no sense of fun, that must be the reason then.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    FF is one step further from MI and one step closer to superhero Marvel territory. You need to suspend disbelief to enjoy them. All sense of realism should go out the window.
    Domestic: $163,578,315 18.0%
    + Foreign: $744,800,000 82.0%
    = Worldwide: $908,378,315

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=furious8.htm

Damn.
    Should easily pass $1 billion before next weekend. Took #1 over five wide releases this weekend again, I believe.