No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    yeah the absolute worst thing in the last two bond films is the question, how relevant is bond? He is relevant because we have come to see his film so get on with it and shut up is what I say. It sort of is fine in skyfall but its absolutily terrible in spectre
    Agreed. That question whether Bond is relevant or spies are relevant in any how is a cretinous claim at best. Field operatives have always been needed and will always be as long as powers exist (any power, any influential figure, gang, enterprise, country, government, whatever) and spies will do their jobs in weakening the rivals in and out. This "drones taking over" metaphor applies only to a post-dystopian period of time where humans are no more and machines occupy the planet instead of us. That's as much as it makes sense. Spies, assassins, operatives, police officers, federal agents, investigators will all be existing.

It's not really as simple as that; I wish it was. SF and SP to a lesser extent addressed that Bond is fighting what will someday be a losing game. The tech takeover is real. If it's already rooted itself into the brains of humanity through the many cancerous systems of technology and application that we have now, who knows what awaits us. It's a timely question well addressed.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's a part of the Bond character that he's in question by bureaucracy, and treated like a red-headed stepchild at times. THUNDERBALL. MOONRAKER. LICENCE TO KILL. DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Just as relevant today. It plays up Bond's worth that he completes the mission in spite of them all. That's what good civil servants do and have always done.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's a part of the Bond character that he's in question by bureaucracy, and treated like a red-headed stepchild at times. THUNDERBALL. MOONRAKER. LICENCE TO KILL. DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Just as relevant today. It plays up Bond's worth that he completes the mission in spite of them all. That's what good civil servants do and have always done.

Very true. If there's one thing about Bond's character that remains true across every actor's era, it's that he's a man who is constantly acting on behalf of superiors who he is almost embarrassingly more professional, understanding and capable than. It's the ultimate office work nightmare, where an employee serves a boss/bosses they should be the boss of instead.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,115
    007Blofeld wrote: »

I'll save you a click. (I read this earlier today, about an hour after it was posted). Why is Craig sure to come back? It's because the writer says it's so. Whether Craig returns or departs is a matter of faith at this point. Nobody *knows*.
  • I only glanced over the content of that article, but that heading and sub-heading are seriously misinterpreting P&W's quotes for hype purposes. Is there no honor in journalism anymore? No honor at all?

This whole thread is a perfect compilation of the above. It's a piss poor collection of nothing worth reading, and instead amounts to a bunch of links to bookie bets, random fake casting news and click-bait titles regarding Bond 25 that were engineered by "journalists" to really get the internet fired up to visit their site. And people fall for the traps, and even worse, take it seriously.

That comment alone sums up this entire thread. My thing is, I don't really care for the progress of Bond 25. Yes I do want another Bond film, and I will be interested when an official announcement is made, but I'm not going to bother wasting my time clicking on some click bait article saying "Daniel Craig is done with Bond?" or "Is THIS person going to be the next James Bond?"

@007ClassicBondFan, that's obviously because you're the kind of person who is sensible enough to understand two major things. One, you know that we will get Bond 25 sooner rather than later, and you're willing to be patient and wait it out instead of popping in here every day to post the same statement of, "Is it here yet?" like so many do. Secondly, you're also smart enough to avoid click-bait articles that profit off all these engineered rumors, and by doing so you avoid supporting the modern day brand of faux journalism they practice and instead wait for EON to actually say something because you understand that their word is the only one that counts for anything here.

In short, I thank you. I really shouldn't have to thank people for being logical, level-headed and aware of the truth, but in this day and age it's becoming a real rarity to find people who don't accept the first word as the truth and whose heads aren't so far up their arses they can't see or hear what's really going on. So again, thank you!

Yet @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 only a few days ago you posted this.
    No offense to the mods, but this should've stayed shut. Or it should've stayed locked at the very least for more than a day. Lessons won't be learnt.

Pot kettle black. I haven't posted on the forum since September 2016. I prefer to read much more than I post. I was amazed to find 264 pages and 7900+ posts in this topic alone. And what do we know now that we did in September. Nothing!
    You prattle on and complain that this topic is redundant till we get some actual news, but from flicking through the pages, you do post a lot in here @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

I see @NicNac trying to steer the ship in the right direction.
    Indeed @bondjames you can discuss all aspects of the next production freely, as long as it's relevant. A few pages ago everyone was discussing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which was just too far off topic.

If there is no new news to discuss then why would anyone want to come on here to discuss that, when we have a perfectly good Daniel Craig thread to use?
    The thing is (and here we go off topic ) we can't have a Bond forum with nowhere to talk about Bond25. So we need a thread. It's just we will monitor it more closely.

And that's me finished chatting off topic

You say;

I really shouldn't have to thank people for being logical, level-headed and aware of the truth, but in this day and age it's becoming a real rarity to find people who don't accept the first word as the truth and whose heads aren't so far up their arses they can't see or hear what's really going on.

Well in my day you learned respect. Not being a pretentious arse and complaining, then doing the opposite of what a moderator has said. Take your head out of your own arse, you might learn something if you actually looked.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Cubby_and_Harry, funny tone for someone who hasn't been here beyond half a year. I won't hold it against you too much.

My tone on this thread can vary. When the discussion is kept leveled and we're able to talk about what Bond means now in cinema and where I want it to go, that's great. When people shoot off their mouth about things they don't understand, then my opinion wavers. I usually vacate this thread for weeks on end, then check in to see what is going on. If an argument is addressed that interests me, I engage to see what others think and what their perspective is. In the same token, if I see something that catches me by surprise or I see people twisting facts to suit their narrative, I feel the need to speak up. I'm a writer, it's in my blood, and I won't sit back lackadaisical while the ignorant prevail and spread a distorted idea of how they think things are. Whenever this turns into a breeding ground for attacking Barbara and Michael and EON in general, and when slander is tossed around, I naturally take issue. If that ended, I wouldn't have to enter here so often, along with others who feel the same. I don't feel like I need to explain myself to someone who has never posted here regularly, or who doesn't know me above all, but if I'm quoted I'll happily engage. If the mods have a problem with how I operate, they would or can engage me. I'm good friends with most of them and we have that kind of openness.

I'm glad I was able to remove my head from my ass long enough to post a reply.
  • Tell me, how much are the tickets on yourself @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Who says you're right? You? You were just a twinkle in your fathers eye when the Bond series started. You post on an internet forum and call yourself a writer because your posts are so bloody long. So being a relative 'newb' does that mean there is a hierarchy to posting here. Should I get in line and bow down to your writing skills.
    Sadly I've taken this off topic. Please forgive my ignorance to the powers that be, and those who can actually wait for news on Bond 25. Instead of engaging everyone because they are right, because they said so.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Tell me, how much are the tickets on yourself @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Who says you're right? You? You were just a twinkle in your fathers eye when the Bond series started. You post on an internet forum and call yourself a writer because your posts are so bloody long. So being a relative 'newb' does that mean there is a hierarchy to posting here. Should I get in line and bow down to your writing skills.
    Sadly I've taken this off topic. Please forgive my ignorance to the powers that be, and those who can actually wait for news on Bond 25. Instead of engaging everyone because they are right, because they said so.

Nah don't mess with Brady he's cool
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »

I'll save you a click. (I read this earlier today, about an hour after it was posted). Why is Craig sure to come back? It's because the writer says it's so. Whether Craig returns or departs is a matter of faith at this point. Nobody *knows*.

I liked the part how M sees how Craig's bond evolves and what he will look like in the future if he is back
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Tell me, how much are the tickets on yourself @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

I call myself a writer because I've been published, I have a degree in it and it's my living, that's all. I don't really get your point here.

I'm not saying that you have to be a vet here to fit in or post, I'm just saying that you don't know me because...you don't. There's no point in going on with this, because in fighting to keep things on topic, we fall off topic. It happens to all of us well-intentioned folks from time to time, but there's no need to take it so seriously or cast out ad hominem retorts. I appreciate the passion though, even if it's directed at me.
    yeah the absolute worst thing in the last two bond films is the question, how relevant is bond? He is relevant because we have come to see his film so get on with it and shut up is what I say. It sort of is fine in skyfall but its absolutily terrible in spectre

Not sure SP raised the question of Bonds relevance, did it?

Felt to me like Bond back to his prime without the hang ups. It's one of the reasons I personally rather enjoyed it.
    Getafix wrote: »

Not sure SP raised the question of Bonds relevance, did it?

Felt to me like Bond back to his prime without the hang ups. It's one of the reasons I personally rather enjoyed it.

@Getafix, I think people are referring to C's move to essentially wipe out the 00 program, essentially bringing an end to Bond's job at that stage. I don't think we have to worry about a continuation of that in Bond 25, as Mendes likely won't be around and the emphasis on the story will hopefully be on Bond being Bond, facing a threat with great focus.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The problem with the Bond film series as a franchise overall is that before this Marvel Cinematic Universe collective, Bond didn't have to be in competition with anyone or anything, so it was easier back then to keep the series rolling without having to fear for the quality of the movie as much as we are now. When you think about it, Spectre was an experimental production trying to fit in to the modern-day aspect of the film industry. Guinness World Record explosion, bespoke sports car and whatnot.

Of course, I don't know much about film productions and how they run. But, Bond has too many competitors nowadays and they are mostly the Marvel and DC superhero films, as well as the Star Wars entries. The film market is keeping reliance over big budget franchises that keep spawning continuous sequels one after another. And they're performing a lot better with the audience on the commercial side as well as the critical than Bond is. Their numbers are bigger. Danjaq, I gather, are worried about this. What if the public loses interest in Bond and the box office gross of their next entry experiences an implosion? It happened with Spectre, didn't it?

If you're calling a near 900 million box office take (and for sure video and digital releases that pushed it past 1 billion profit) as Spectre imploding, you've got a serious perception problem.

Revenue not profit :-B ;)
  • And the thread starts to slowly go off the rails again...
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    love the comments Nic Nac is posting lately. (is there a topic for praising Nic Nac yet? ;-) )
    Speaking of BOND 25, now that Purvis and Wade have their old jobs back I'm wondering at what point they are in the scripting process. Not too far I imagine. I do hope they have jotted down at least one thing:

BOND 25
    Opening shot: GUNBARREL logo/Bond theme music
    Iris opens on................................
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Not much, but apparently, Barbara was having a great time last night in London with 20th Century Fox Film Chairman and CEO Stacey Snider and Emma Thompson. ;)

wpaMpHm.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the OMEGA discussion could possible center around Baselworld 2017 and marketing around their new releases, given the company is in trouble lately with profits and revenue slashed in half.

Well, Craig was apparently at a dinner where Omega introduced a new watch (it's not clear if this is the same dinner which was reported on a few weeks back). Garish thing.

http://blogs.barrons.com/penta/2017/03/22/actor-daniel-craig-omega-unveil-next-james-bonds-watch/

This has nothing to do with B25, so please forgive me for taking the thread off track. Just wanted to clarify that Craig and Omega is an ongoing thing until he decides to leave the role, when he will lose his brand ambassadorship. Please don't assume that his meetings with them have anything to do with B25 unless and until we get confirmation from EON.

PS: I realize there is an OMEGA thread here, so I can appreciate that I perhaps should have posted there.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is the lady in the middle, off to do a bit of DIY ? :D
    Not much, but apparently, Barbara was having a great time last night in London with 20th Century Fox Film Chairman and CEO Stacey Snider and Emma Thompson. ;)

wpaMpHm.jpg

Could this spark discussion that B25 be co-distributed by 20th Century Fox?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the OMEGA discussion could possible center around Baselworld 2017 and marketing around their new releases, given the company is in trouble lately with profits and revenue slashed in half.

Well, Craig was apparently at a dinner where Omega introduced a new watch (it's not clear if this is the same dinner which was reported on a few weeks back). Garish thing.

http://blogs.barrons.com/penta/2017/03/22/actor-daniel-craig-omega-unveil-next-james-bonds-watch/

This has nothing to do with B25, so please forgive me for taking the thread off track. Just wanted to clarify that Craig and Omega is an ongoing thing until he decides to leave the role, when he will lose his brand ambassadorship. Please don't assume that his meetings with them have anything to do with B25 unless and until we get confirmation from EON.

PS: I realize there is an OMEGA thread here, so I can appreciate that I perhaps should have posted there.
    "Bookies are taking bets on which actor will be the next James Bond, and the second-longest-serving Bond was asked if he would continue to play the famous spy. He demurely refused to comment. Whoever steps into the plum role, my bet is he’ll be wearing a “Big Blue”."
    ToTheRight wrote: »

wpaMpHm.jpg

Could this spark discussion that B25 be co-distributed by 20th Century Fox?

I could see it happening since Fox is

A) looking for a franchise ith Fantastic four gone and Wolverine also done
    B) already has a dvd distribution deal
    Wow,its like a school playground in here today !!

I'm just popping into this mad,pretty nasty thread to say that if Fox gets the nod with Bond I will be a VERY happy bunny.

Right,im off again...ciao.
  • RC7RC7
    Interesting photo of Babs. I had heard previously that Thompson was being courted for a role in B25.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    RC7 wrote: »
    Interesting photo of Babs. I had heard previously that Thompson was being courted for a role in B25.

Hmm, that's very interesting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can easily envisage Thompson in a ministerial role in a Bond film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Risico007 wrote: »

I could see it happening since Fox is

A) looking for a franchise ith Fantastic four gone and Wolverine also done

What are you on about? Fantastic Four is still with Fox and only recently (this year) did they talk about them making sure things are right before making another one. As for Wolverine he's not done. Hugh Jackman is done and Fox still have Deadpool and X-men in the pipeline. Let's not spread false information when the facts are easily accessible.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If Bond 25 is going to have a Brexity theme to it, then I could see Thompson playing the PM.
  • RC7RC7
    For the record I'm talking BS. I was just curious to see how easy it is to spin the sorts of 'stories' that the so called journalists do. It's the sort of blase 'rumour' one outlet could attach to that photo, given its plausibility, and it soon spreads like wildfire. Anyhow, apologies, just a little experiment. I could also see her in a Bond.