Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It would be interesting to see him cast as a Villain.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    That's the rumour going around right now; that he could be the film's antagonist.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As posted in the mission impossible thread:

We can rule out Cavill becoming 007. He's just been cast in the new Mission Impossible film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/827017-henry-cavill-joins-the-mission-impossible-6-cast

Why would it rule him out? He's not taking over from Tom Cruise. Besides as I stated in another thread, It didn't stop Lea Seydoux from being in Spectre.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 11,139
    And like I've replied to you in the other thread:

"Seydoux was in it for 5 minutes and had like, one line. Many people don't even know she's in Ghost Protocol. Also, she's not Cavill who will have a larger role and who people will obviously remember. EoN definitely wont cast him now that he would have been in UNCLE and now MI."

That's why.
  • Is there any way we could have separate threads for topics such as feminism, race, transgender issues, affirmative action, political correctness, and Islam? All of those topics were brought up within the last couple pages, and it seems like a few people here have been seriously triggered. I don't see why just because a few crappy clickbait articles were written I need to have to wade through a bunch of people's deep seated cultural fears. If there really is an evil feminist conspiracy to ruin Bond, wouldn't it be better for everybody to just have a separate thread to get to the bottom of it? I think this board is long overdue for one giant race thread at the very least. I've been reading about black Bond since 2005 (back then it was Colin Salmon), and it got tiring some time around 2006.
  • I think Cavil was ruled out the minute he became Superman to be honest
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Is there any way we could have separate threads for topics such as feminism, race, transgender issues, affirmative action, political correctness, and Islam? All of those topics were brought up within the last couple pages, and it seems like a few people here have been seriously triggered. I don't see why just because a few crappy clickbait articles were written I need to have to wade through a bunch of people's deep seated cultural fears. If there really is an evil feminist conspiracy to ruin Bond, wouldn't it be better for everybody to just have a separate thread to get to the bottom of it? I think this board is long overdue for one giant race thread at the very least. I've been reading about black Bond since 2005 (back then it was Colin Salmon), and it got tiring some time around 2006.

See the biggest problem with a thread like that is that only a very small handful of people could actually legitimately discuss such things in a civil and mature way.
    It descends into name calling and bitching. No one backs down, people get offended, arguments spill into other threads and everyone gets tired of it.
    Let's keep this a James Bond forum, and all that other crap can go on the 'I want to discuss everything' forum.
    ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I asked my dad about a black bond and he said he would stop watching the new films if that happend

Sensible chap.
    I think Cavil was ruled out the minute he became Superman to be honest

I agree but even if Cavill became the UK Prime Minister some people will still say he has a shot at being Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    They dodged a bullet the first time around with Cavill. The guy has zero range. I actually feel uncomfortable watching the guy. The only role I've thought he settled into was Superman, primarily because he brings a vacancy that can seem otherworldly. Anyone who thinks he's a decent candidate needs, as my grandmother would say, their bumps reading.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 7,969
    And if there's one thing you need to play Bond, it's range. Roger Moore taught us that.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2017 Posts: 10,512
    And if there's one thing you need to play Bond, it's range. Roger Moore taught us that.

Moore had charisma to burn. Cavill by comparison is a slab of MDF. Besides, Craig moved the goal posts on that front, but if you're happy with Barry One Note good for you.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2017 Posts: 7,969
    Looks are more important than "range" when it comes to Bond - that should be obvious...

Y'know, I'm fascinated by a growing contingent who appear to have stumbled across this franchise at some point in the last 10 years or so, and seem to think that Bond represents some kind of intercept between high Art/Culture and Pop Entertainment. The same crowd that believes it's "about time" we had a black/female/sheep Bond. The sooner the franchise can throw this merry troupe off the scent, the better. We need a more traditional leading man, tall dark and handsome, to balance out the books. Things have gotten way wayward, and we should really be thinking about returning to shore soon.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Looks are more important than "range" when it comes to Bond - that should be obvious...

Y'know, I'm fascinated by a growing contingent who appear to have stumbled across this franchise at some point in the last 10 years or so and seem think that Bond represents some kind of intercept between culture and pop entertainment. The same crowd that believes it's "about time" we had a Bond black/female/sheep Bond. The sooner the franchise can throw this merry troupe off the scent the better. We need a more traditional leading man, tall dark and handsome, to balance out the books. Things have gotten way wayward, and we should really be thinking about returning to shore soon.

Did I say Bond needed "range"? I said, Cavill had 'zero range', ie. he's completely one dimensional. Bond needs an actor who can deliver something a little more than just looking like a Burton menswear model. For the record I've always been an advocate for returning to a more traditional looking Bond post-Craig, but Cavill is not that man. He's a franchise sinker.

The merry troupe you speak of aren't fans, they're a few dicks on the internet. Nobody here thinks like that and I'd guess the bulk of us have been fans for way, way, way over 10 years.
    RC7 wrote: »

Moore had charisma to burn. Cavill by comparison is a slab of MDF. Besides, Craig moved the goal posts on that front, but if you're happy with Barry One Note good for you.

Charming !

• RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote: »

Charming !

Ha Ha, sorry mate! Habit.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Charming !

Ha Ha, sorry mate! Habit.

He he ;)

bondjames wrote: »
    Lenny has already convincingly played a white person when he impersonated Michael Jackson. A very talented chap, but not Bond.

?? Ha ha ha. Michael Jackson is African American. :).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Lenny has already convincingly played a white person when he impersonated Michael Jackson. A very talented chap, but not Bond.

Indeed. There was intentional comic irony in my comment, given tempers were getting flared earlier.

Jackson was unfairly accused of lightening his complexion in order to become more accepted by record companies and radio stations. In reality he suffered from vitiligo. A black man became white, rather than a white man (Bond) becoming black.
    All true. A brilliant artist (maybe the best ever), but I'm not entirely sure he was sane. Allegedly he claimed he had only had 1x nose job!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It seems impossible of late for any thread to stay on topic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »

It sure does, but that is how people talk, from one thing to the next.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Benny wrote: »

It sure does, but that is how people talk, from one thing to the next.
    Agreed, and that's what keeps threads alive and dynamic - it's the way actual conversations take place. As long as we take it back to the key topic eventually I don't see the problem. This topic will always stay on track, because we're all fascinated about prospective Bond actors.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Tom Hiddleston.
    I always thought it a killjoy method to force people to stay on topic, because the best conversations result from this. As bondjames says - its people talking what comes to mind. I see nothing wrong with it. Even more so, when it is a fan forum and nothing really going on, on WHICH you COULD stay on topic. I am not saying a lot these days, but taking this action seems rather harsh, if we take into account, what we are dealing with here. A fun place, a hobby place in a world where we are surrounded by rules and many of them as unneccessary. So - IMO take it easy and let it thrive, they way it comes naturally.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I always thought it a killjoy method to force people to stay on topic, because the best conversations result from this. As bondjames says - its people talking what comes to mind. I see nothing wrong with it. Even more so, when it is a fan forum and nothing really going on, on WHICH you COULD stay on topic. I am not saying a lot these days, but taking this action seems rather harsh, if we take into account, what we are dealing with here. A fun place, a hobby place in a world where we are surrounded by rules and many of them as unneccessary. So - IMO take it easy and let it thrive, they way it comes naturally.

Agreed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Yes threads do and will go off topic, it's to be expected. We are keen to stop too much of the B25 news thread getting clogged up with off topic stuff, but we will take everything else as it comes.

If we occasionally ask for something to get back on topic it's only because the point of the thread gets buried in spam.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Indeed. There was intentional comic irony in my comment, given tempers were getting flared earlier.

Jackson was unfairly accused of lightening his complexion in order to become more accepted by record companies and radio stations. In reality he suffered from vitiligo. A black man became white, rather than a white man (Bond) becoming black.
    All true. A brilliant artist (maybe the best ever), but I'm not entirely sure he was sane. Allegedly he claimed he had only had 1x nose job!

+1 best musician ever
  • RC7RC7
    That's the rumour going around right now; that he could be the film's antagonist.

I wonder if they'll use him as a sort of pseudo Bond?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

I wonder if they'll use him as a sort of pseudo Bond?
    I hope he plays the Bond type kind of role like he did with Napoleon Solo as opposed to the bearded antagonist.

As for Cavill becoming Bond? I don't see it happening. It would've happened with Cubby, but Babs has a different perspective on the character, so it won't happen.