The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    While I like The November Man for what it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Bourne and Taken.
    +1. Not even close for me. The November Man has a bit of a cheap Eurotrash (for lack of a better word) feel to it. Like those direct to video thrillers that fading action stars make when they're on their way out with East European stars in it. Segal, Van Damme, Snipes etc. all did it.

It's entertaining enough but not great. Closer to Taken in feel than Bourne imho.
    I couldn't have said it any better.

The November Man has the quality of a direct-to-video movie. That's the key element to look for. I mean, I don't know much about Roger Donaldson, but had Pierce conversed with Luc Besson, the latter would've upped the quality of the film like a skyrocketing boost.
  • While I like The November Man for what it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Bourne and Taken. These films have represented the quality of a fair budgeted action pack of a thriller they are required to attract with. Brosnan's film doesn't have that. Because the budget is too limited. I mean, originally it was supposed to get at least $40 Million financial support when Brosnan wanted to make it back in 2006. The final film got it made with a budget of $15 Million. It was a television movie quality, not theatrical or cinema-worthy.

From my understanding, didn't it also have quite a limited release? I mean I've heard that it didn't show in all of the theatres across the US, the one I went too had it showing. Also spot on with that criticism. I saw the films plot as too convoluted and overstuffed to follow along easy with.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    While it was nice to see Pierce as a harder edged spy, The November Man's plot was pretty confusing. I forgot the girl in the flashback scenes was supposed to be a young Olga Kurylenko. It's a shame, I hope it gets a sequel with a higher budget.
    Just discovered these car commercial adverts. Pierce looks dope!

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

If he'd only been this careful with the cars from Q Branch... :D
    00Agent wrote: »

If he'd only been this careful with the cars from Q Branch... :D
    You'd be surprised the amount of the wear and tear that goes on out there in the field. ;)

• Better than Lazenby, although George didn't really get a chance to show his potential, better than Moore for the sum total, slightly ahead of Craig as of now, but nowhere near the level of Connery or Dalton, he seemed a bit slimy at times actually

Woah, slow down there with better than Lazenby and Craig.

Pierce was awesome in GE, a really good Bond film, but he became far too much of a gentleman Bond and lacked that inherent toughness.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,062

Better than Lazenby, although George didn't really get a chance to show his potential, better than Moore for the sum total, slightly ahead of Craig as of now, but nowhere near the level of Connery or Dalton, he seemed a bit slimy at times actually

Woah, slow down there with better than Lazenby and Craig.

Pierce was awesome in GE, a really good Bond film, but he became far too much of a gentleman Bond and lacked that inherent toughness.

I don't think the problem with Brosnan was his portrayal as much the scripts he was offered. He could pull off the ruthless mean machine very well while also being the gentlemen. The scripts were just all over the place
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Can anyone explain why London is always getting f***ing blown up recently ?

Its really pissing me off if im honest.
    Based on a novel from 25 years ago?
    Based on a novel from 25 years ago?

Im talking generally ,not based on this particular film.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @barryt007, I've watched two films today that were released in the last six months or so, and both feature London being riddled with damage and explosions. Seems a bit of a staple in action films lately.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is that an actual poster? I've seen much better fan art posters.
    I think that's just the Chinese release poster.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »

It's just like New York getting destroyed in every film, or DC, or San Francisco. Speaking as an American, you just get used to it after a while. You've seen Lady Liberty destroyed once, you've seen it five times and all that. The Avengers was the most recent example of New York just getting decimated.

I think London has proved very favorably tax-wise for film productions, and so many flock there to blow things up in their respective films. It's also one of the premier world capitals, so with that fame comes a lot of action set there.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @barryt007, I've watched two films today that were released in the last six months or so, and both feature London being riddled with damage and explosions. Seems a bit of a staple in action films lately.

Exactly ..maybe because we have one of the highest security in the world now ? ..i will try to take SOME positive out of it ;)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Finally! I'm been waiting some time for this film to be released. It was announced some time ago. At least we have a date now.
    Jackie Chan looks nothing like Sean Connery.
    Jackie Chan looks nothing like Sean Connery.

No he looks like a man from Asia.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pierce stopped to take a picture with the NYPD and gave them thanks on Facebook:

17265141_10154347905272091_4964042667149460129_n.jpg?oh=dc176c1cd41e4fc046e528fb3615f4c9&oe=5966E1EA
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pierce stopped to take a picture with the NYPD and gave them thanks on Facebook:

17265141_10154347905272091_4964042667149460129_n.jpg?oh=dc176c1cd41e4fc046e528fb3615f4c9&oe=5966E1EA

Nice one Brozza!!! =D>
    Pierce dismisses rumours of his casting as Cable in Deadpool 2. However, as opposed to what previously has been thought, he said he wouldn't mind taking a turn as a superhero in any film in the future.

http://ca.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/02017032034219/pierce-brosnan-not-cast-deadpool-2
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @ClarkDevlin, the latest name for Cable's casting I've heard floating around has been Brad Pitt. How true the rumor is, I don't know. I'd love to see Pierce do it though, and it's a shame if the rumblings surrounding him didn't have truth to them. I think he and Ryan Reynolds would play off of each other well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    barryt007 wrote: »

Because nobody gives af about Manchester or Liverpool. London's where it's "happening".

When do we get the trailer for this Chan/Brosnan flick?

I'm about to get ready to watch GE.
    Don't know about the production status behind Deadpool 2, just yet, but have they started filming it? Or is it still in the pre-production stages?

As for Pierce getting into the superhero world, I can easily see him being Pete Wisdom if they bring the character into the MCU.
    @ClarkDevlin, the project got a new director late last year, so I'm sure discussions on the vision of the film have been going on, and they know where they want to go, hence all the rumors of Cable being featured. I don't know how much creative change would happen in the hand off from Tim Miller to David Leitch, or how far the script is along though.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I see, although didn't Reynolds in character as Deadpool announce the insertion of Cable in the post-credits scene from the first film? I believe he did say something along the lines. I've huge expectations from David Leitch.

By the way, Brady, what role do you see Pierce cast in when it comes to either the MCU or the DCEU?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    By the way, Brady, what role do you see Pierce cast in when it comes to either the MCU or the DCEU?

I'm not really sure, @ClarkDevlin. I like Pierce best when he really gets to unleash and go nuts, so I'd prefer him playing a very hard man who is kind of on edge, or one who had those characteristics while still being very overt in personality as I think Pierce also plays "big" characters like that well, as in The Matador.

Nothing Marvel-wise is coming to me, but I think he'd have made an excellent Deathstroke, white hair and all, playing the killer like an ex-Vietnam vet with a contract on Batman's head he's been trying to claim for years. I don't like the idea of Deathstroke being so young, but with Batman being cast so old maybe Warner thought they should play up how weak Bruce may be in his latter years in the face of a more fit and younger trained killer.

I think Pierce could play a role like Ra's al Ghul too, which is another character that has a balance of crazy and personality. I think the only reason I have Ra's back is because I want to see the classic comic fight between him and Batman in the desert recreated, haha.