'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From the world of Bond, I would have liked to have seen Timothy Dalton & Christopher Lee as The Master, especially the later. Lee would have made a chilling post-Delgado Master, and Dalton for a 1990's Master (but only if opposite McCoy's 7th Doctor).

Except that Lee apparently had a strong dis-like for Doctor Who. Big Finish approached him during the Wilderness Years about playing Rassilon in a couple of audios with Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. His dislike of the show dated farther back than that, having told Peter Cushing that he shouldn't do the two Daleks films he appeared in.

Both would have been good, that's for sure.

timdalton007

I have to agree with Lee on the two films. Any Doctor Who film should feature whatever actor is playing the Doctor on tv, even if it means not getting a series that year. It wasn't even the same character. Hartnell wasn't in the best of health at the time, which would explain why he wasn't cast in the film.

An odd reaction from someone who has had such a long running carrer, and has been in some iffy films. Maybe it was down to Big Finish, at that point, being in it's formative years. Maybe it if were a tv story, Lee would have felt differently, but I suspect he just didn't like the concept of the show.
    New teaser :

Gerard wrote: »
    New teaser :

Really gonna miss Capaldi when he steps down.

• John Hurts last performance R.I.P.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    edited March 2017 Posts: 154
    [I have to agree with Lee on the two films. Any Doctor Who film should feature whatever actor is playing the Doctor on tv, even if it means not getting a series that year. It wasn't even the same character. Hartnell wasn't in the best of health at the time, which would explain why he wasn't cast in the film.

An odd reaction from someone who has had such a long running carrer, and has been in some iffy films. Maybe it was down to Big Finish, at that point, being in it's formative years. Maybe it if were a tv story, Lee would have felt differently, but I suspect he just didn't like the concept of the show.

Well the series was being made effectively year around at that point so there wasn't much room for the cast to go off and do other projects (hence why none of the TARDIS crew appear in the stage play Curse Of The Daleks either that played on the West Wend 1965-66). It also wasn't that unusual at the time for films to be based off TV shows or radio programs and not feature the original cast (look at the Hammer Quatermass and Dick Barton outings for example).

timdalton007
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I remember hearing that Capaldi wanted that to happen, but someone (Mark Gattis) pooh pooh'd the idea. That isn't my favourite design for them, but I still prefer that to the modern redesign. I wonder if there's a connection to that story, beyond the look of them.
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEE ! THEY'RE BACK !!!!!!!

(ahem) Sorry, my inner fanboy decided to get outside there for a moment.
    I loved Tomb of the Cybermen genuinely atmospheric episode, great to see that similar design returning.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    ...if anyone needs me, I'll be behind the sofa.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

So damn cool. Good to see the Doctor going back in (his) time (hopefully), story could be a re-working of The Tenth Planet replete with regeneration scene!
    From MSN news :

Peter Capaldi to finally get his Doctor Who wish: he will face the most terrifying Cybermen of them all

The Mondasian Cybermen have not been seen in Doctor Who for over 50 years but – after previously claiming it wouldn’t happen – showrunner Steven Moffat has seemingly relented and has written a story featuring star Peter Capaldi’s favourite baddies.

Filming is about to begin on the final two episodes of the 10th series, which is also set to be both Moffat and Capaldi’s last (though both should remain for the Christmas special). And it's going to be a treat for the outgoing Doctor.

When asked at a Q&A in 2014 what Whovian monster Capaldi would most like to see return, the Mondasian Cybermen were one of two that he chose – the other being the Axons from Jon Pertwee’s era.

“I’d also like to see – this is really one for geeks – the return of the Mondasian Cybermen,” he said at the time. “They came from the Planet Mondas and first appeared in [1966 story] The Tenth Planet. They were absolutely terrifying, with cloth faces. That was really creepy.”

Moffat was quick to rubbish both of his choices, however, saying, “I always thought the Axons had a natural resemblance to a Bafta,” and, “We’re not bringing [the Mondasian Cybermen] back, because they look like boys with [jumpers] pulled over their heads.”

Now, it seems that he has given his departing star what he always wanted.

The Mondasian Cybermen, which were the original version of one of the show’s best known monsters, are just one of many versions of the Cybermen – and not the same version as the ones famously seen walking down the steps near St Paul’s Cathedral in 1968’s The Invasion.

The two-part series finale, which is being shot in Cardiff, will also feature Pearl Mackie as new companion Bill Potts, and Matt Lucas and Michelle Gomez returning as Nardole and Missy. Rachel Talalay will also direct episodes 11 and 12 for the third series in a row.

The new series of Doctor Who begins on BBC One on Saturday 15 April.

• edited March 2017 Posts: 5,797
    Okay, I shouldn't have put the quotes around "Leaked". The trailer is off now. So that was really a leak. Sorry.
    All right, the trailer is going to air tonight, during the Chelsea - Manchester United football match. Meanwhile, here's a promotional image for the show :

132497.37266d1b-0824-40a1-bd30-5ed2c8c07162.jpg

Enjoy !
    And here's the trailer :

Not sure about the new assistant still but in fairness we have hardly seen her in action yet?
    I must admit,from what I saw of her in the trailer,she didn't impress me much.
    We will soon find out Barry in a few weeks time?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Not sure about the new assistant still but in fairness we have hardly seen her in action yet?
    I agree though I will reserve my judgement, though my first impressions of the new assistant are not great.

• edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    We will soon find out Barry in a few weeks time?
    We will indeed,im also not too fussed abput Matt Lucas' character in it either.

Oh well....
    I agree though I will reserve my judgement, though my first impressions of the new assistant are not great.

Yeah, so far I have not had a negative reaction since they brought the show back with regards casting? This is a first so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out?
    Meanwhile in France, we got another example of Who-related stupidity here. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

As you know, the series airs here on France 4, which, after having re-aired the last five seasons (minus a few episodes, such as "Deep Breath" - wonder if they will air it, that one - or "Day of the Doctor") decided toair for the first time here "The Return of Doctor Mysterio". They announced that it would air on saturday March 18th at 19.50 (well, depending on which TV programme you read, some announced it at 19.45). Well, I was lucky to turn my TV on at 1815, because that was then I learned that it would air at...

19.15. Which means that people who trusted their TV programme missed half the show. Now I know that french Whovians are few and far between (the show rarely gets over 300.000 viewers in France), but that shows a lack of respect for the public. I mean, if they wanted to sabotage that airing, they wouldn't have acted otherwise. We've been accustomed here to shows starting later than announced, but as earlier as that ? Makes you wonder why we pay our license fee, right ?
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    The new assistant worries me because I find her grating to look at and listen to already. Moffat cannot write for women - they are all far too smug, clever and similar. Donna was the best companion - grounded, flawed and with a believable background. RTD wrote for women far better. I find Amy, Clara and River really annoying - but I don't blame the actresses for that.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    The new assistant worries me because I find her grating to look at and listen to already. Moffat cannot write for women - they are all far too smug, clever and similar. Donna was the best companion - grounded, flawed and with a believable background. RTD wrote for women far better. I find Amy, Clara and River really annoying - but I don't blame the actresses for that.

I totally agree...she is going to get on my nerves,i know she will.
    Donna and Rose have been the only 2 companions that i could tolerate.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,894
    There seems to be a rumour that Mackie also wont be staying for series 11. That would be much of a surprise if true, as Moffat had a clean slate with series 5, why wouldn't Chibnall want the same? Personally, I think that it is a little too early to judge her. The problem for me, is Matt Lucas as Nardole. I don't see why he has been brought back. When it was announced that he would be returning for the 2016 christmas special, I had to google him, I couldn't remember who Nardole was. And then I saw series 10 trailer. Oh look, more Nardole.
    Matt Lucas is awful in this..they really have chosen bad bad companions over the years.

Hopefully a clean slate with the new Doctor.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39401667

So this mysterious planet shows up out of the blue, weeks before the Cybermen are returning? It's Mondas, they're here already.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39401667

So this mysterious planet shows up out of the blue, weeks before the Cybermen are returning? It's Mondas, they're here already.

About time...most humans should be 'deleted' imo...

• edited April 2017 Posts: 6,432

The voices are spot on, the excellent Jon Culshaw.