'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!

Oh, and there was "Black Rain", where the Brig's body became a flying Cyberman and saved his daughter who had been pushed off a plane by Missy (the Master who had become female).

Yes, it's as awful as it sounds, @stag.[/quote]

Given that it appears I am not missing much by not watching the new Dr Who!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Radio Times have published their review of episode 1 of Power Of The Daleks:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-11-05/animated-lost-doctor-who-story-the-power-of-the-daleks-is-enthralling---and-there-could-be-more-to-come
    If The Power of the Daleks is a success, other lost stories could get the same treatment.

If? I can't see it not being a success. One of the most pivotal stories getting a new lease of life half a century after it's original transmission.
    A bit of bad news : according to reputable sites, the Doctor Who Experience will close in summer 2017, because the lease BBC Entertainment had with the city of Cardiff lasted for only five years. So, if you want to see it, you know what to do :

[url="http://"]http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-experience-to-close-in-2017-81546.htm[/url]
  • I watched the first episode of Class it was a mixed bag, alas the best part was when a familiar face appears.
    First pages of "Doctor First", or the First Doctor version "Mister Men" :

io9.gizmodo.com/the-doctor-is-an-adorable-grump-in-the-first-look-insid-1788865002

Too cute ! I might be tempted to buy the series.
    First extract from the Christmas Special :

• KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    Just started with Tom Baker's The Ark in Space the other night. Was thourougly impressed.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    First extract from the Christmas Special :

Wow that was random looks like fun, been too long since a new episode.

And the Doctor also appears here :

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Really enjoyed The Power of the Daleks, me and the boy watched it all on Saturday afternoon. Nice lot of extras too, although a trailer for the colour version would have been nice. Looking forward to seeing the BD release in the new year.
    Think it was a good decision to make it a 16:9 release, thanks BBC Worldwide!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Glad to hear that, @Lancaster007. My copy arrived this morning, and I just finished watching episode 1. The animation was quite good (though not on par with, say... The Invasion). I feel as though I don't wan to critisize it too much, because the animation team were up against a deadline, and we now have one of the most highly regarded Who stories for our collections. There's a nice selection of extras, and a larger than usual booklet too.

Given the reputation surrounding Power Of The Daleks, I can't see it not being a hit, with an announcement of forthcoming animated releases following soon. Fury From The Deep, anyone?
    I am aiming for the BD release in the new year.
    Meanwhile, the air dates and times have been confirmed for the Christmas Episode. "The Return of Doctor Mysterio" will air on Christmas Day (december 25th 2016) at 5.45 PM GMT. For other countries, go there :

doctorwhonews.net/2016/11/xmas-time-confirmed-291118154508.html
    Trailer for the Christmas episode :

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Saw "The Return of Doctor Mysterio", and loved it. My inner comic book geek loved all the references, and I enjoyed the episode. Also caught the new season's trailer :

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yep! I enjoyed it too.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I thought it was an enjoyable one-off episode but not a blueprint for the way ahead. To be fair, the Christmas episodes do seem to be aimed at a wider audience than the series. I do feel the show needs its new creative controller in place not a moment too soon. I feel sorry for Peter Capaldi, who has been let down by the stories and productions since he took over the role, despite having all the talent needed. He could be the Timothy Dalton of the Whouniverse - right man, wrong time.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I loved the whole first season with Capaldi. I think he's great and I did enjoy the stories. I have not seen the Xmas special yet.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Thought it was OK obviously designed for whole family viewing, too many obvious cliché the Doctor looked embarrassed at times. Christmas episodes are usually miss rather than hit the problem I have with Moffat over the last few years is don't feel like I am watching Doctor Who on occasion, alas Moffat's final season I suspect will be like a greatest hits of his tenure.
    Disagree, that was one of the better Xmas stories and it was fun after a year of no Doctor Who. looking forward to the Doctor Who series this spring.
    I think that was by far the best Christmas episode of Dr Who I have seen in a long time. The humour was excellent and spot on! =D>
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I thought that it was an ok (christmas) story, could've done without Nardole though. I couldn't remember what story he had last been in when he was announced, and now I have forgotten it again. I like Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but his stories have been largely underwhelming. I really liked "Flatline" from series 8, and "In The Forest Of The Night" (also series 8) felt like a Barry Letts story from the early 70's (not a bad thing, imo).
    I didn't enjoy the Xmas special at all...it just totally bored me to the extent that I nearly fell asleep 3 times,and considered turning it off.

Dr Who is really going downhill lately
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy the Xmas special at all...it just totally bored me to the extent that I nearly fell asleep 3 times,and considered turning it off.

Considering that you fell asleep you'd be a poor judge of how enjoyable it actually was. ;)

Doctor who is not going downhill, I would say it is still going strong but not every Doctor would be your cup of tea. I am looking forward to this last season of the Doctor's current showrunner and am looking forward to the new influence of a new showrunner.

The trailer for the new season looks amazing. Really looking forward this season.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Totally agree Moffat should have left by now, it was poor.

barryt007 wrote: »

Totally agree Moffat should have left by now, it was poor.

The same old argument Russel T- Davies got.

A good thing that this season of Sherlock probably will be the last one for some time, Moffat should have left by now. >:)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Not sure about that- I was such a huge DW fan back in RTDs time as showrunner, and never once did I hear people complain about him overstaying his welcome. RTD had the good sense to hang up his coat on a high point (series 4 and the specials).
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Peter Capaldi, who has been let down by the stories and productions since he took over the role, despite having all the talent needed. He could be the Timothy Dalton of the Whouniverse - right man, wrong time.

I think of Sylvester McCoy as Who's Dalton: let down and left with unfinished business as the franchise disappeared into limbo.

(Am I still cross with the Beeb about this? Yes, yes I am.)
    The Davidson,Baker,McCoy arc didnt do it for me tbh...i stopped watching it between Tom Baker and Eccleston (although i did watch the TV movie with McCann)...